Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There's a lot of hype for 2.0

2»

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by TobiasGrey
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon

Around gaming communities I follow DF 2.0 is getting a lot of ' can't wait ' responses. I would have thought the complete opposite would happen.

What happened? I thought Darkfall was left to die at the side of the road. Why is the community suddenly excited for another game being developed by the same people?

It's one of the most impressive MMOs released in recent memory. Most people really liked it, but there were 1 or 2 things that ruined the experience. 2.0 addresses many of the community complaints.

And DF was never "left to die by the road". 2.0 IS Darkfall. This is the same game.

Pardon me, but you don't spend 2 years claiming to be remaking your game because "most people really liked it".

[mod edit] Most people that played the game liked it except for a few specific areas, the major complaints, of which I've shared, have been addressed.

I'm a little confused, seeing as I read your post, hit quote and wrote my repsonce.  I changed nothing of what your wrote. 

I'm assuming you've played the "new game" to be able to say what has been addressed?  No you haven't. 

I guess it's easier to make unfounded claims then it is to actually back up what you say or provide a real counter arguement.  I don't blame you, once someone points out that most poeple who purchased the game quit playing it, it's hard to continue with the bit that most people really liked it.

Most people actually coudln't stand the game.  There's good reason for that, which is one of the reasons why they chose to make a "new game"; the other one obviously being that they couldn't fix the original; even Tasos admitted they couldn't fix it. 

I was curious, so I went and reread what you wrote.  Post number 7 in this thread you wrote:

It's one of the most impressive MMOs released in recent memory. Most people really liked it, but there were 1 or 2 things that ruined the experience. 2.0 addresses many of the community complaints.

And DF was never "left to die by the road". 2.0 IS Darkfall. This is the same game.

That's interesting, looks exactly like what I quoted and responded too. 

You got what he said wrong. . he said 'most people liked it' and then stated that there were a few things that drove them away. . meaning those problems were not enough to overcome how much they liked it.  I am one of those people myself.

You then responded with :  "Pardon me, but you don't spend 2 years claiming to be remaking your game because "most people really liked it".

You only used the first part of his statement.  You quoted him out of context.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon

Around gaming communities I follow DF 2.0 is getting a lot of ' can't wait ' responses. I would have thought the complete opposite would happen.

What happened? I thought Darkfall was left to die at the side of the road. Why is the community suddenly excited for another game being developed by the same people?

Pardon me, but you don't spend 2 years claiming to be remaking your game because "most people really liked it".

[mod edit] Most people that played the game liked it except for a few specific areas, the major complaints, of which I've shared, have been addressed.

I'm a little confused, seeing as I read your post, hit quote and wrote my repsonce.  I changed nothing of what your wrote. 

I'm assuming you've played the "new game" to be able to say what has been addressed?  No you haven't. 

I guess it's easier to make unfounded claims then it is to actually back up what you say or provide a real counter arguement.  I don't blame you, once someone points out that most poeple who purchased the game quit playing it, it's hard to continue with the bit that most people really liked it.

Most people actually coudln't stand the game.  There's good reason for that, which is one of the reasons why they chose to make a "new game"; the other one obviously being that they couldn't fix the original; even Tasos admitted they couldn't fix it. 

I was curious, so I went and reread what you wrote.  Post number 7 in this thread you wrote:

That's interesting, looks exactly like what I quoted and responded too. 

You got what he said wrong. . he said 'most people liked it' and then stated that there were a few things that drove them away. . meaning those problems were not enough to overcome how much they liked it.  I am one of those people myself.

You then responded with :  "Pardon me, but you don't spend 2 years claiming to be remaking your game because "most people really liked it".

You only used the first part of his statement.  You quoted him out of context.

Thanks, I'm glad someone got it!

• witchkillerwitchkiller Member UncommonPosts: 36

People seem to think the game is going to have some sort of drastic change to gameplay, or forget what game this is. 

http://darkfallonline.com/uw/

Flexible Roles: Choose role at will, switching from meat shield to master mage to benevolent healer. Players can switch between roles, skills, spells, and ability boosters on the fly. Develop your skills in all roles and experience the game in a multitude of different ways over time or specialize in a single role and be the one your friends depend on to fulfill that calling.

People seem to be under the impression that this is going to be a completely different game, and not just DF with some updated art assets, new mobs, and a new UI.  They're under the impression that the same grind won't be there, kind of the way some people have been saying that the grind "isn't as bad" now then it was when the game released, when it really is. 

As if people won't be macroing.  As if the new DF won't have the bugs and poor performance that the original had, as though there won't be a bunch of exploiters and cheaters. 

AV is billing it as a new game, even though they've been saying for 2 years that it's mostly overhauling the graphics and making some adjustments to the way magic works, and a new UI.  It seems to have a bunch of people behaiving as if the new DF is going to be drastically different from it's current version, even though AV has never said it will be, or even really mentiioned much beyond the work they've done on the graphics. 

It's kind of like a funcom situatiion here.  Funcom has really bad launch after really bad launch of mediocre games, yet people expected some sort of magic to happen with TSW.  Oddly enough, TSW was exactly another funcom game. 

CCP does, about every 6 months, what AV has spent the last two years doing, yet DF:UW will be the savior of MMO's?  I have to wonder what would happen if each new expansion for EVE was billed as a "new game".  I can only imagine it would be the equivilent of the second coming of Christ. 

People seem to have really short memories.  I'm willing to guarantee you that not long from now the forums will be flooded with posts about how AV is just a greedy developer trying to bilk people out of there money by charging them to play a game they already paid for, just because they labelled it as a "new game", exactly like happend when they opened the NA server.  Then, when it does release, it'll be a flood of posts about how they called the same game a "new game" when it's still just the same DF with some graphical enhancements and new mobs.

How much better do you really expect them to do with this "new game" when they pretty much tell you they couldn't really fix what was already there.  I would think that anyone who's been playing games as long as I have (start of the 80's) that they would have learned the same thing I have, If a developer can't get it right the first time, theyd on't usually get it right the second.  Especially when it's the exact same people who couldn't get it right the first time around trying it again.

wow read like 4 lines and realized too long & don't care because you're stupid.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Yeah, he apparently can see into the future and has no clue about the other games he throws into his post.  Let's all debate a game that's not released and have very little info released on it...great idea.
  • TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Yeah, he apparently can see into the future and has no clue about the other games he throws into his post.  Let's all debate a game that's not released and have very little info released on it...great idea.

There's actually a surprising amount of information out about Unholy War.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

I mean surely, Paragasus would still be blogging about the game every other week if it was that good. 

I stopped playing Darkfall a long time ago.  I'm not in the business of making excuses for what a company does or how they handle their game.  I am a gamer the same as anyone else.   The current version of the game as it exists right now, today, is not something I want to spend my time on for a variety of reasons so I don't play it.   At the time though when I was writing, I can say that my time in that game's early days were some of, if the the most fun times I have ever had in an MMO.  There was a lack of coverage by many in the game media because many of them were not committed enough to invest the time to get into the guilds and politics of the game to see the bulk of what DF offered that other games don't, short of maybe EVE.

Despite how I and many feel towards the current state of the game, I am very interested and willing to take a look at the new Darkfall as I think many are.   If given the chance I will and report back on how it looks.  As far as Arch Age goes, I commend them for going the route they are going, but my main concern is when is that thing going to make it across the ocean for people outside of Asia to play it?  Have they set a concrete timeline or date?   I honestly haven't been following it that much until I see something along those lines, but it's great to see some developers taking the harder path to making an MMO to deviate from the same formula we keep getting fed every year.

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Originally posted by Mardukk

There's actually a surprising amount of information out about Unholy War.

This... there is a lot of information around but to have it is to have followed the game in the past two years and read the blog updates as they came.

What AV needs to do is consolidate that information now to make it easier for people to see but the players themselves have pretty much done that effectively (see the difference thread).