Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Ray Muzyka & Greg Zeschuk Retire from BioWare

1235»

Comments

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

So I think I've got a good handle on EA's business plan:

1) Identify companies that produce good games that your crappy games can't compete with...

2) Buyout said companies using your warchest of cash as an enticement and force the talent, who you know are capable of producing better games then you into signing a non-compete agreement forcing them from the industry if they leave you, so you eliminate any future competition.

3) Rebrand your studio sweatshops with the well respected brand of the studio you just aquired and crank out a high volume of subpar games that you sell primarly on hype and marketing while leveraging the previously valuable brand name of said studio to help you fool unwary customers into sight unseen purchases.

4) Continue step 3 until the studio's brand is drained of all value. Get rid of all the principles, and point the finger of blame toward them when your stockholders question why the products produced under the previously well respected brand were of such poor quality.

5) Take the money you earned from steps 3 and 4 and use it as capital to repeat the cycle with a new victem.

Am, I missing anything?

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

1) Identify companies that produce good games that your crappy games can't compete with...

2) Buyout said companies using your warchest of cash as an enticement and force the talent, who you know are capable of producing better games then you into signing a non-compete agreement forcing them from the industry if they leave you, so you eliminate any future competition.

3) Rebrand your studio sweatshops with the well respected brand of the studio you just aquired and crank out a high volume of subpar games that you sell primarly on hype and marketing while leveraging the previously valuable brand name of said studio to help you fool unwary customers into sight unseen purchases.

4) Continue step 3 until the studio's brand is drained of all value. Get rid of all the principles, and point the finger of blame toward them when your stockholders question why the products produced under the previously well respected brand were of such poor quality.

5) Take the money you earned from steps 3 and 4 and use it as capital to repeat the cycle with a new victem.

Am, I missing anything?

Seems pretty dead on accurate to me.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Am, I missing anything?

Nope, that looks accurate to me.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607
    Reading through this thread you'd think the docs had gone to Avalon to hang with Arthur for a while promising to return to save us all some day... *rolls eyes*
  • OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

The games BioWare produce since EA took them over are no where near as good. I wont be buying DA3 after the rubbish that was ME3 and DA2.

And with the two founders bailing out now speaks volumes for the future of BioWare and Dragon Age 3.

EA rips the heart out of each and every dev house they buy and then forces out puke that people buy till in the end the disolve the dev house and name and buy a new up and coming development team. CDProjekt will be next you wait and see.

• logandwjlogandwj Member Posts: 25

Well that's it for Bioware, I guess.

Will the last person with a soul at Bioware turn out the lights before you leave the building?

And EA carves another notch into their record of game studios killed.

-Logan
    ----------
    "Wake UP! Time for SCIENCE!"
    -Adam Savage "Mythbusters"
    ----------

• DakeyrusDakeyrus Member Posts: 1
    With EA's track record....can't really say they should be surprised about what happened. Expecting EA to not trash your brand when you sell to them is kinda like coating yourself with A-1 SteakSauce and jumping into a Tiger pit to cuddle with them.

Contrary to popular belief, tigers aren't fans of A-1 Steak Sauce.

Sad news for Bioware, it's a shame to see such giants fall.

• MajDogMeatMajDogMeat Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Sell out! Man up and admit u both took the cash and ran!

Any problem can be solved, with the Proper Amount of High Explosives.....
    Don’t take life serious, you’ll never get out alive…..

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Elikal

Am, I missing anything?

Nope, that looks accurate to me.

Careful, EA might buy out this post so they can rebrand it and "correct" your post to be more in-line with a quality AAA forum post.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• MikeTheSaintMikeTheSaint Member Posts: 74
    I take BG2 over 99.9% of the shit on this sites game list any day.

PC gaming in general is just a shadow of its former self seems it all revolves around cash shop bullshit of which EA (and plenty of others, don't get me wrong) have turned theft into an art form.

Kinda wish PC gaming would just die with a little bit of dignity.
  • MikeTheSaintMikeTheSaint Member Posts: 74
    On topic. I wish I coulda done my best work then dicked around for a few years before selling out for a shed load of money aged 40.

I'm jelly!
  • imershonimershon Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by Vantras

I love how folks pretend that a founder who sells his/her company to a huge corporate entity is somehow innocent when that huge company butchers the original vision, guts the brand or exploits its strengths.  They call it "selling out" for a reason. These guys built a great company, saw an oppurtunity to reap an enormous harvest when they sold to EA-but they did so with their eyes wide open-they took the cash and sold the baby.  Acting as if their departure now is somehow an act of defiance at how the baby they knowingly sold is being raised is naive and absurd. 

I dont blame them at all for selling but i also wont pretend that they arent 100% culpable in what BW has turned into.

THIS^

DEFINITION OF REALITY: Graphics ok, Sound ok, Gold drops need more work...

• StuntyCrushaStuntyCrusha Member UncommonPosts: 108

[mod edit]

They are doing what they're doing because they want to, and that's all there is to it...what you think about it is irrelevant to them  and I have to imagine that leaving is probably a HUGE weight off their shoulders.  I don't begrudge them bowing out at all and wish them both a happy healthy life, and a big thank you for creating some of the best games I've ever played.