Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Ray Muzyka & Greg Zeschuk Retire from BioWare

Comments

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

Sad.

Can't blaim them for throwing in the towel. I mean really, who wants to keep working in an extremely volitile industry where the people you are making the games for hate you.

If EA would stop destroying big name-IP games, maybe people wouldn't hate them?, it's bad enough that their support is non existent and the customer service is completely rude, not to mention all the greedy higher ups in EA's office. EA deserves it, the only people to blame is themselves.

Oh I forgot to add, EA forced Bioware to merge servers with random name changes for Star Wars The Old Republic, meaning people didn't get to keep there names at all. There wasn't even an announcement. I wonder what server my Sith is on, oh well, I'll never touch another EA product again after this. It's the last straw.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
      Thank you guys for giving me many, many hours of gaming pleasure
  • shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324

Yeah, well, don't get totally pissy at the boyz.  What this means is, they just finished negotiating their ransom note.  The clock just started ticking.

I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that what this means is that they are leaving under a non-compete agreement with EA that says you may not work for any videogame company for X years.  And that they are going to play with beer podcasts or whatever for EXACTLY (X*12 months)+0 days and then surface with venture capital money with a new gaming company.

Those agreements generally include a confidentiality clause, so it's not like they can say in a press release, "Yo, EA sucks y'all, and we are cooling our jets for two years [or whatever] just so we can rise again and bite them in the ass.  Please hold the date for the party."

Anyone willing to put dollars up against this happy box of Dunkins I got here?

Bioware is dead.  Long live Bioware to come, whatever the new name is going to be.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

This absolutely 100% has to do with SW:TOR and the last several releases from Bioware.

Compounded with the final big nail of EA's new Online Only policy.

BioWare was known for its Single Player story-driven experiences that were to be engrossing for a Single Player to carve out their own original story. To hold close to themself.

"The Doctors" never wanted to make Online video games.

OhCOME ON, give me a break!

Why is always everyone defending these guys? THEY sold their company to EA. NOBODY forced them! They listend to the siren call of BIG BUCKS and gave into money over quality! They spread their legs to EA for money! And to hell with quality games! Did some greater mysterious power force them to do all that? And where they not so enthusiastic over SWTOR and the "great possibilities" with EA and LucasArts?

EA destroyed EVERY SINGLE game studio they bought. An idiot could tell them it would be like this! If you go into bed with the devil you don't have to be surprised if it ends like this! THEY were boss, THEY could have said NO, if EA or LucasArts went a direction they didn't want! And what did they make? One more crappy RPG after another and the catastrophe of SWTOR which now has about 30-45 k active players left!

Ridiculous! It was in their hands, and they failed as big as in this history of games. As in the frigging history of FAIL!

Yep, they did fail.

And I'm not defending them.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Elikal

This absolutely 100% has to do with SW:TOR and the last several releases from Bioware.

Compounded with the final big nail of EA's new Online Only policy.

BioWare was known for its Single Player story-driven experiences that were to be engrossing for a Single Player to carve out their own original story. To hold close to themself.

"The Doctors" never wanted to make Online video games.

OhCOME ON, give me a break!

Why is always everyone defending these guys? THEY sold their company to EA. NOBODY forced them! They listend to the siren call of BIG BUCKS and gave into money over quality! They spread their legs to EA for money! And to hell with quality games! Did some greater mysterious power force them to do all that? And where they not so enthusiastic over SWTOR and the "great possibilities" with EA and LucasArts?

EA destroyed EVERY SINGLE game studio they bought. An idiot could tell them it would be like this! If you go into bed with the devil you don't have to be surprised if it ends like this! THEY were boss, THEY could have said NO, if EA or LucasArts went a direction they didn't want! And what did they make? One more crappy RPG after another and the catastrophe of SWTOR which now has about 30-45 k active players left!

Ridiculous! It was in their hands, and they failed as big as in this history of games. As in the frigging history of FAIL!

Yep, they did fail.

And I'm not defending them.

Gomen, then I misunderstood you. ^^;

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960

I will just say same as the first day they announced purchase by EA

RIP Bioware

And thanks for great games you made in the Bioware era :)

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    So due to a non compete clause they have to retire from the gaming industry?  It's either that or EA took away their love of game development.

I think that they simply had enough. I mean EA is enough to break anyone's spirit. And after all they each got 80 million dollars cash when EA bought Bioware. And that is only on top of what they got before and since...

So, why work more ?

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

Sorry if this was already posted but it is hillarious image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LL-a2OwrN7GbxKX5tYP48WNA

Check the part with ign and the rating. Does this remind you of anything?

Waaait .. where is this black box with sabers on it...

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

RIP Bioware.

I wrote a long post on the BW social network after the ME3 ending debacle, and in that I predicted Dr. Ray falling on the same sword that claimed Mark Jacobs; sucks to be right.  It is also interesting to see that the explanation isn't that different from what MJ wrote either.  I guess part of the 'you're fired' package includes a tight NDA as to the true circumstances; not to mention that these great names vanish from the games industry after EA has chewed them up and spit them out.  Maybe it has now got to that time when as gamers we have to stand up and turn our collective backs on EA for good before they destroy anymore decent studios.

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor
    *A moment of silence*

Can be found on Fleet in SWTOR....

• Anaba77Anaba77 Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Denambren
    Origin Systems, Bullfrog, Bioware

+ Westwood Studios (founder of command & conquer brand + 2x Dune rts) as well as Visceral Games (Dead Space)...

with those Bioware guys part of my rpg youth is going to hell as well...

Originally posted by cahenderson
    *A moment of silence*

you are on wrong server

• sr7olsnipersr7olsniper Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by Anaba77
    *A moment of silence*

you are on wrong server

there are no wrong servers, didnt y ou hear about the new server mergers? 

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

Originally posted by n3v3rriv3r

Sorry if this was already posted but it is hillarious image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LL-a2OwrN7GbxKX5tYP48WNA

Check the part with ign and the rating. Does this remind you of anything?

Waaait .. where is this black box with sabers on it...

omg. ROFL  :D

Originally posted by sr7olsniper
    Originally posted by Anaba77
    *A moment of silence*

you are on wrong server

there are no wrong servers, didnt y ou hear about the new server mergers? 

I was sarcastic and sad, with Bioware heads I see part of my gaming youth going nuts...

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Sounds like he plans to make and drink beer . Now thats what I call living the dream .
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

They probably had an earn-out in the purchase agreement which kept them in the business for X years with an incentive to drive profits. Now possibly the earn-out has paid out, BW's profits are not as good as everyone hoped back in 2007 and the Doctors can leave with the rest of the purchase price they just received..

It is common for this to happen when businesses are acquired and top management are retained because they are essential for the business. It would not surprise me one bit if EA had done this with the Doctors and now, 5 years later, they are free to go.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Code for "We hate what EA has done to BW, so we're gone"

So true. Wait for a bit and they'll open their own new game development studio and carry on making RPG's as they used too hopefully!.

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    Big props to the guy dedicating his life to beer, after failing at games.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Yep

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Originally posted by nsignific
    Big props to the guy dedicating his life to beer, after failing at games.

Are you serious?

BW were one of the greatest game studios out there before EA came along and chewed them up.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    With regards to the article and news...... So what?
  • gilgamesh9gilgamesh9 Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

Sad.

Can't blaim them for throwing in the towel. I mean really, who wants to keep working in an extremely volitile industry where the people you are making the games for hate you.

Maybe if the games didn't suck, that the difference in quality before the sale to EA and after wasn't so stark, they wouldn't have gotten the much deserved critiques.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by roo67
    Sounds like he plans to make and drink beer . Now thats what I call living the dream .

La Chaim

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    Originally posted by kalrhael

If that was the truth they would of gone elsewhere that was video-game related, with the sort of resumé that these guys have they can land a gig anywhere...but it sounds like they're done with videogames in general. 

But I say good-luck to them both, I'd say most of us have been touched by a bioware game at some point in our lives, what they've done is still held at the pinnacle when it comes to videogame naratives... Baldurs Gate II, KOTOR, Mass Effect...all shine at the top.  

The sale to EA probably contained a "Non Compete" clause in the contract for the principles (pretty common).... which means even if they wanted to work in videogames, they can't because that would be competing with EA and would get them sued.