It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
I've been playing this some in between 2 other games' alpha and closed beta. Some things about this game impress me, while others leave me kinda "meh". There are a few points I'd like to hit quickly, some good some bad.
1. Funcom claims the game has no levels. It has a sort of leveling system, but it's pretty open to progression choice. If it had "no levels" I should be able to walk to Carpathian and kick it, but in the first 40-60 hours as a new player, that's just not possible. The options during progression I did find fun, however... points come in at a decent pace and I was consistently looking forward to that next expensive-ap skill that would really "make" my playstyle.
2. I understand arguments wherein people complained only having 7 active skills make for some relatively boring combat. On that issue, I'd argue A) You can swap out abilities you've bought any time you're not in combat (in pve) and In most mmos most of the fights only involve using a handful of abilities, some you just spam one or two. I've logged "alot of miles" swapping out abilities for different encounters and the game has an active dodge function, too, which isn't just there for show.
3. The game's not only for adults... it's for smart adults. You can, if you like, google a number of spoiler sites. I have not, although I have asked a few questions in cabal (guild) chat. The puzzles, especially investigations, and really much of the game overall requires (demands?) a degree of logic and problem-solving, as well as real-world knowledge. I find this great while others may not.
4. Is the game "grindy"? I suppose it's about as grindy as you want it to be... I've advanced through to finish the main story progression and am involved in fleshing out ql10 gear with appropriate stats to suit my builds. I don't feel like I've had to "grind" although the option to grind is certainly there. Being in a cabal of experienced players, I likely won't have to do every nm 20 times to get what I want for gear, but others who just want to pug probably might. I guess that's a choice to play a mmo solo... never did get that.
5. End game. There are no big raids, and the game's not advertised as such, yet. I'd like to see more content besides nm difficulty or basically other 5-man stuff. There are rumors stuff like this is coming.
Overall, it's a positive experience. I'm not so infatuated with it that I can't put it down and I suppose that's good. I haven't really come to a point I was disgusted with it either, so I can't hate on it. The overall story is "just ok" imo but I'm pretty critical on that subject in any game. I'll be subscribing for one more month at least, and seeing what happens.