Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The War Z is it the next buy to play mmo ?

I recently noticed this game on youtube while looking at zombie webisodes ( mostly awful lol ) . It actually looks rather interesting so I took a look at the webpage . As far as I can see it is one time purchase deal with no subscriptions or cash shop that gives you a pay to win advantage .

So is The War Z the next buy to play mmo ? Because it appears to be even though its not being marketed as such at present .

Being a fan of the Zombie genre I think if its any good this might be something I would invest in as a buy to play game .

Comments

  • CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranMember Posts: 4,505 Uncommon

    Its not an mmo is it?

    I thought it was similar to DayZ with seperate servers supporting upto 32 players or somthing.. or have they now changed it to a full on MMO?

    Ah just checked their site.. maybe upto 250 players per server depending on how their testing goes.. Character like in DayZ is moves between servers with gear intact.

     

    So yaeh I guess it has some MMO aspects but its not liek GW2 or anything  so i would not be calling it the next buy to play MMO as they dont really have any of their own server costs like with GW2 and so on as its not a full on MMO.. people rent their own servers and host the game...

  • roo67roo67 londonMember Posts: 402
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Its not an mmo is it? I thought it was similar to DayZ with seperate servers supporting upto 32 players or somthing.. or have they now changed it to a full on MMO? Ah just checked their site.. maybe upto 250 players per server depending on how their testing goes.. Character like in DayZ is moves between servers with gear intact.   So yaeh I guess it has some MMO aspects but its not liek GW2 or anything  so i would not be calling it the next buy to play MMO as they dont really have any of their own server costs like with GW2 and so on as its not a full on MMO.. people rent their own servers and host the game...

    It seems to be marketed as an mmo . I guess it depends what you term as massive . I felt TOR was more a single player rpg with some co-op elements and it never really felt like a true mmo .

  • OpapanaxOpapanax Rochester, NYMember Posts: 973

    It looks okay right now still need to see some more on it. I have played DayZ though and it was impressive for just being a MOD. So now with someone attempting a full fledge game I'm interested in seeing what they can accomplish..

    Many will try to state the visual similarities of the games and how War Z is jacking DayZ. Reports and articles have stated that War Z was in production first and announced before Day Z. That plus the fact that DayZ is not an actual game but a MOD of the Arma 2 engine. Gives War Z it's space to present itself as a new product entirely.

    Quality wise is still up in the air, it looked pretty good but you can tell they still have some work to put into it. With both titles on the come up though it should breed some really good competition between the two and hopefully we the consumers profit from it most because we'll (theoretically speaking)  get surperior games from the two since they will try to be king on the scene for the genre.

    DayZ is coming out as standalone and also will be MOD'd out for Arma 3's so that leaves even more room for growth and will probably force the War Z to hold for a bit longer in development so that they can be on par with the competitor...

    EDIT: Yea it will be somewhat like how Day Z is set up. Not a full MMO with thousands on the same server together but smaller servers set up for 50+ players to even possibly a couple hundred. That depends on their servers and if it's going to be open source-ish.. personal servers for players could be more depending on their infracture. The scale of the map(s?) will be much like Day Z's..

    PM before you report at least or you could just block.

  • roo67roo67 londonMember Posts: 402
    Originally posted by Opapanax
    It looks okay right now still need to see some more on it. I have played DayZ though and it was impressive for just being a MOD. So now with someone attempting a full fledge game I'm interested in seeing what they can accomplish.. Many will try to state the visual similarities of the games and how War Z is jacking DayZ. Reports and articles have stated that War Z was in production first and announced before Day Z. That plus the fact that DayZ is not an actual game but a MOD of the Arma 2 engine. Gives War Z it's space to present itself as a new product entirely. Quality wise is still up in the air, it looked pretty good but you can tell they still have some work to put into it. With both titles on the come up though it should breed some really good competition between the two and hopefully we the consumers profit from it most because we'll (theoretically speaking)  get surperior games from the two since they will try to be king on the scene for the genre. DayZ is coming out as standalone and also will be MOD'd out for Arma 3's so that leaves even more room for growth and will probably force the War Z to hold for a bit longer in development so that they can be on par with the competitor...  EDIT: Yea it will be somewhat like how Day Z is set up. Not a full MMO without thousands but smaller servers set up for 50+ players to even possibly a couple hundred. That depends on their servers and if it's going to be open source-ish.. personal servers for players could be more depending on their infracture..

    More the merrier I say . Nothing like killing a few zombies :P . I dont mind them being similar i enjoy the George A Romero movies as much as I enjoy the Walking Dead tv show .

    Just thought I would link the offical homepage http://thewarz.com/index.html

    Hopefully it will be good .

  • ThaneThane berlinMember Posts: 2,526 Uncommon
    not an mmo, just alot of players per map

    "I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

  • CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranMember Posts: 4,505 Uncommon
    Originally posted by roo67
     

    It seems to be marketed as an mmo . I guess it depends what you term as massive . I felt TOR was more a single player rpg with some co-op elements and it never really felt like a true mmo .

    Yeah i totally agree with you there :)

    Sure the War Z has some MMO aspects just like DayZ.. but not on the scale of a proper MMORPG/MMO if you know what i mean..

     

     

  • Loke666Loke666 MalmöMember Posts: 19,287 Rare

    It will go up against Class 4 which is confirmed as a B2P MMO so times look great for MMO zombie fans indeed. :D

    Class 4 will however have a lot better budget and seems to have an open world (lead designer and programmer is the guy who made the engine and was the first lead designer of GW2) but then just a big budget isnt everything as we seen before.

  • mithrillionmithrillion NY, NYMember Posts: 37
    IMO B2P is not a good idea for sandbox mmo's unless they make all future expansions free. You can't put players from two versions of game in the same world, restricting the players without the new expansion and not break the "sandboxness". If they charge future expansions it means basically everyone has to get it in order to continue playing. So B2P will just be subscription until the next expansion. For sandbox the better way is either sell it the same way as a single player game and forget about profiting from it further or use the subscription without box price model (people will hate subscription less if they only have to pay one month price for a game they don't really like).
  • CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranMember Posts: 4,505 Uncommon
    Originally posted by mithrillion
    IMO B2P is not a good idea for sandbox mmo's unless they make all future expansions free. You can't put players from two versions of game in the same world, restricting the players without the new expansion and not break the "sandboxness". If they charge future expansions it means basically everyone has to get it in order to continue playing. So B2P will just be subscription until the next expansion. For sandbox the better way is either sell it the same way as a single player game and forget about profiting from it further or use the subscription without box price model (people will hate subscription less if they only have to pay one month price for a game they don't really like).

    People can pay to host their own servers so no reason why you could not have older servers running the older version for people who dont have the exp pack..

     

    You can pay for a server via their own hosting service by the looks of it so they will be making money every month on that as well..

     

    As for Class 4 thats an xbox only title right?

     

     

    Also another note The War Z will have a cash shop type thing.. you can buy gold coils for real money to buy zombie infection cures and stuff..

     

  • SephrosSephros Somewhere, CAMember Posts: 402 Uncommon
    I am very sceptical of war z. They have a game almost nobody has heard of called war inc. All they are doing is slapping a new name and adding zombies to the engine so they can jump on the zombie hype train. Very, very wait and see approach. I have the dayz mod and will be buying the stand alone when it comes out though.

    Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

  • roo67roo67 londonMember Posts: 402
    Originally posted by Loke666
    It will go up against Class 4 which is confirmed as a B2P MMO so times look great for MMO zombie fans indeed. :D Class 4 will however have a lot better budget and seems to have an open world (lead designer and programmer is the guy who made the engine and was the first lead designer of GW2) but then just a big budget isnt everything as we seen before.

    Good to hear . I m sure theres going to be an influx of survival horror mmos in the near future . Who needs elves eh :P

Sign In or Register to comment.