Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So almost a month has gone by

Comments

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    I'm on vacation and haven't played for around 5/6 days. I'm missing it like crazy :( If only it ran on Mac.
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450

Played 150 hours and decided that the only way I'll stick with this game is to limit myself to an hour a day, because every map is the same other than the scenery, ie you know you need to fill the hearts, discover areas and visit the vistas, over and over.

What I like about the questing in other MMO's , that GW2 has moved away from, is the unpredictability. I might pick up a quest in one area, visit another map, get introduced to an NPC, need to visit a city, collect some stuff, then return to the quest-giver. With GW2, you know that it's all happening in one small area at a time. And it just feels like loads of mini-games rather than any real story or point to it.

If it was a sub-based game, I'd be out, but, I think I'll end up putting more hours overall, into this game, than other one-off paid games I may have bought in the past, so that's something.

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    I still have a blast. I had warrior lvl 35, now I play as Guardian (25) and I have low lvl (under lvl 10) Thief and Engineer. Love the game. 
  • alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by Torgrim

How do you feel about the game, the good the bad what might come?

For me I still enjoy the game, I don't rush but the game seem to rush on me via leveling is somewhat increased after lvl 40 despite anet 1-2 takes as long as 79-80.

Besides that I still having a blast playing the game.

How about you guys?

I'm liking it a lot. Yesterday I reached 34 with my guardian and joined a group for the Ascalonian Catacombs. Enjoyed it, it's really diferent from other mmos now Im gonna make a warrior and level it to around the same level..

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by alacres
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by gessekai332

if you mean 70+fps in wvwvw as crap then i guess sure thats crap? i run this game on a laptop and i am on very high settings, the game does pretty fine for me. i can imagine it running even better on a budget gaming desktop.

I have both a laptop and a high end system, both runs the game incredible well and I never seen so many people on screen in another game. My desktop is running the game maxed out while the laptop at default. 

I have a feeling Zefire is using old GFX drivers...

My desktop stats:

AMD Penomenah II 3,2 (running at 3,5Ghz) x6, 8Gb ram, 480 GTX. 

Wish I knew what both of your secrets are because I'm running on a decent mid-range system (i53570K OC'ed to 4.2, GTX560ti 448 cores, 8GB 1600mhz RAM) and my fps drops to 45 and occasionally even 40 whenever I'm facing the vegetation underwater. It also dips into the mid to low 50s when facing certain far off distances. What's worse is that I don't even have the settings maxed - I lose about 10-15 fps when "shaders" are set to high (it's on medium now), and probably another 10 fps or so when I have the "All reflections" selected, so I have it turned off completely.

I will say that the engine seems to work well with multiple characters on the screen though, as I haven't noticed much of a decreases in performance, even when doing busy public quests. It's mainly just the underwater slow down that's been bothering me the most.

For the record, I'm using the latest Nvidia release drivers (released on the 13th of this month) and I honestly couldn't tell a performance difference between them and the previous drivers. I'm wondering if the older beta drivers that ArenaNet suggested would work out better...

In my case I think it is the GFX card, a 480 beats a 560 by far. But it might also have something to do with the fact that I made a clean install of windows on a completely new SSD the week before launch and run no unneccesarily programs in the background whatsoever.

Or maybe (but not likely) is my hexacore actually doing its trick.

Still, even 40 in FPS is no disaster, anything over 30 keeps rubberbanding away, and actually seeing difference between 40 and 70 FPS is not easy.

Hopefully will optimization help you further, but try cleaning out your windows for crap and background programs, it should give you a little boost (and anyways dont hurt).

Well, I'm running the 448 core version 560 ti, and from the research I've done, it's apparently pretty close to comparable to the 480, while also being a good bit cooler which is a plus for me - I guess it really depends on the version though. I've also got a Samsung 830 SSD, and I make sure to keep this thing as clean as possible, so I don't think those are factors either. 

That said, it really seems like more of an optimzation issue to me, as I don't see why going underwater would put so much stress on the system when nothing else really does. Either that, or it possibly doesn't like the latest Nvidia drivers. I'm tempted to try the last betas.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by mark2123

Played 150 hours and decided that the only way I'll stick with this game is to limit myself to an hour a day, because every map is the same other than the scenery, ie you know you need to fill the hearts, discover areas and visit the vistas, over and over.

What I like about the questing in other MMO's , that GW2 has moved away from, is the unpredictability. I might pick up a quest in one area, visit another map, get introduced to an NPC, need to visit a city, collect some stuff, then return to the quest-giver. With GW2, you know that it's all happening in one small area at a time. And it just feels like loads of mini-games rather than any real story or point to it.

If it was a sub-based game, I'd be out, but, I think I'll end up putting more hours overall, into this game, than other one-off paid games I may have bought in the past, so that's something.

You are playing it wrong. GW2 is about exploration and not doing map checklists. ANet made a mistake with Renown hearts being so dominant in the first couple of maps. But things will get better once more DE's are added. If you want additional purpose or story behind what you are doing, you need to talk to NPCs. GW2 is very different from other MMOs and a lot of players need to get away from the checklist mentality of traditional MMOs.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by IPolygon

You are playing it wrong. GW2 is about exploration and not doing map checklists. ANet made a mistake with Renown hearts being so dominant in the first couple of maps. But things will get better once more DE's are added. If you want additional purpose or story behind what you are doing, you need to talk to NPCs. GW2 is very different from other MMOs and a lot of players need to get away from the checklist mentality of traditional MMOs.

Actually he's playing it right. There is a reason there is a percentage of the world completion and you get a star by your name when you are at 100%. You are meant to do all hearts, waypoints, points of interests and vistas on every map in the world, every city and every WvW battleground. Of course, you can just move around randomly from place to place but the checklist is there, in your face so to speak, for a reason.

In contrast, the jumping puzzles are not "in your face" and you actually have to dig into your achievement page to find out that there is a whole lot of them you can complete.

Personally the way I did it was by following the personal story and fully completing the zone that the personal story led me to before I moved on to the next. That obviously led me to max level at some point and the end of the personal story. After that I just moved and completed all the cities and then one by one the zones that were not related to my personal story.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455

"Across all characters, you have played for 250 hours"

... and I'm not even remotely close to see the end of it. I don't even have full exotics on my main yet. Having a blast just keeping on exploring the gorgeous world, doing dungeons with guildies, crafting, helping others... aka playing the game for FUN and not for the next raid gear tier.

I'm more and more convinced by what I read that the people who get "bored" with GW2 are those who just can't let the WoW clone gear carrot model go. But it's fair enough, no game is made for everyone :)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Xasapis

Actually he's playing it right. There is a reason there is a percentage of the world completion and you get a star by your name when you are at 100%. You are meant to do all hearts, waypoints, points of interests and vistas on every map in the world, every city and every WvW battleground. Of course, you can just move around randomly from place to place but the checklist is there, in your face so to speak, for a reason.

In contrast, the jumping puzzles are not "in your face" and you actually have to dig into your achievement page to find out that there is a whole lot of them you can complete.

i dont claim any right way to play the game but the "checklist" is not in your face

the only way to even see it -- is when you use (m)ap or the load screen when you first enter the zone

otherwise you will never see what % the local zone is complete

i dont use map much (beyond looking where the skill challenges are) so i rarely notice it

i have 2 level 30s and 3 teens --- none of my characters have any maps complete

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Nadia

i dont claim any right way to play the game but the "checklist" is not in your face

the only way to even see it -- is when you use (m)ap or the load screen when you first enter the zone

otherwise you will never see what % the local zone is complete

i dont use map much (beyond looking where the skill challenges are) so i rarely notice it

i have 2 level 30s and 3 teens --- none of my characters have any maps complete

To add; you can make the map even more challenging by disabling the map icons in the lower left hand corner. Anyone that is hardcore can go blind and try it that way! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Ethos86Ethos86 Member Posts: 124

I'm playing since the first day of early access. And still, every day at work, I wait to get home and to get as much time as possible of the evening into GW2.

Having a blast. My main is now lvl 70. With a lvl 10 alt and a few other even lower alts.

We did story line of dungeon lvl 30 and 40 already too with our friends. We wait on the lowest level of the group who should soon be lvl 50 to do the next ones. Can't wait to do the lvl 50, 60 and 70 ones with my friends. Our highest level is sitting at 80 for a week and waiting for us to come conquer Orr with him. Meanwhile finishing up his past zones for map completion.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Zefire
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I think I may take a break for a while.

I was happily trying to complete 100% exploration but ran into bugged skill points that stay bugged for days.  I also realized that I need to explore all four WvW maps even though three of them are identical.

WvWvW is OK but I'd need to improve my graphics card to enjoy it more.  I'm not a fan of the zerg thing anyway.

I've only run one instance and it was the level 30 story mode.  I didn't enjoy it at all.

I haven't tried sPVP yet.

even if u upgrade the game has optimization issues and thats what breaks it.

I have one of the best system this universe can offer for gaming and still the game runs like crap on ultra.Just a reminder.

I don't know what system you have but mine isn't the best in the world and I still can run the game smoothly in full HD on a US server even I'm from Europe.

So I guess you probably need to check through the patchnotes and see your drivers are either outdated or some need a rollback. Would also make sure that all temp files and registry are clean.

Then maybe run a virus check with your antivirus software for just in case your pc in infected.

Another issue could be your connection or router settings.

About the OPs Question:

- have 8 characters

My Main is a Elementalist level  58,  all the others between level 2 and 18 and I love the difference between their personal stories and the diversity between the professions.

Having a blast  alone as also together with friends through all the freedom and choice the game offers.

Enjoying all parts of the game so far  and will definately still do for months and longer.

Only missing the guild halls and guild vs guild so far but since it was announced that we will get them I don't worry to much. :)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by alacres

Well, I'm running the 448 core version 560 ti, and from the research I've done, it's apparently pretty close to comparable to the 480, while also being a good bit cooler which is a plus for me - I guess it really depends on the version though. I've also got a Samsung 830 SSD, and I make sure to keep this thing as clean as possible, so I don't think those are factors either. 

That said, it really seems like more of an optimzation issue to me, as I don't see why going underwater would put so much stress on the system when nothing else really does. Either that, or it possibly doesn't like the latest Nvidia drivers. I'm tempted to try the last betas.

After a bit of research: You card performs about 85% what my card can (I got the best 480 card, there is a cheaper version that almost tie with your card as well) . But on the other hand is your processor better.

My guess is that either Nvidia or ANET needs to optimize how well your card performs in the game(particularly since I heard it before from 560 Ti users) then. Of course those 15% (we are talking about Dx9 here though) do matter but it seems to be more than that.

My SSD is a Corsair Force 3, I dont think that is any difference, no. But I would scan my drive for malware just to be sure unless you already done that.

I am sure you will get an increased performance within a month. :)

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

For me I still enjoy the game, I don't rush but the game seem to rush on me via leveling is somewhat increased after lvl 40 despite anet 1-2 takes as long as 79-80.

How about you guys?

2 weeks does not a month make.

i havent leveled past 16 yet, its rather grindy feeling and putting me off of actually playing it.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

I'm more and more convinced by what I read that the people who get "bored" with GW2 are those who just can't let the WoW clone gear carrot model go. But it's fair enough, no game is made for everyone :)

What about sandbox fans - say, EVE players - who don't like this game?

What about people looking for a smartly conceived hybrid - say, something like Archeage or even Fallen Earth? 

What about players who are just looking for a beautifully realized world full of lore and interesting stories and features that promote these? Say, something like LOTRO?

From my experience, there are all kinds of gamers among those who found they've gotten bored with GW2.

You're being awfully shortsighted and dismissive, in my opinion. 

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

Still playing the game, about 150 hours, I have a level 80 Necromancer and reached rank 15 on sPvP. At first I did a lot of PvE, it was rather fun. I figured out that it's harder to level before 40 and easier after or so. I reached 70-80 in just one day of playing so this proves that. This is the first of the newer MMOs where I've reached max level and that's a +

After 50 or so I switched back and forth between PvE and sPvP. I really enjoy sPvP specially the tournaments. I've yet to craft a good PvP set though but I feel I might just have enough crystals. I've tried WvW but the queues are just too long by the time it prompts I'm done playing, I just don't play for that long without a break.

I've got about 90% Map completion, that's to show how much effort I have put in PvE, I've also earned about 15 gold in total and crafted up to level 200 in one profession, crafting is tough and surely can't be done without farming/buying materials for the higher levels of it. Maybe cook you can though.

I've still yet to finish a dungeon. I've tried AC twice but both times 2 of the team members leave after the first boss so I just can't find a reliable team, I do want a dungeon set and get to experience them all at least once so there's that. I also want to craft a legendary weapon but the chance of that seems so far away, it will take a lot of time and that's just time that I don't have anymore like I used to.

I also would like to create some alts, I've leveled an elementalist and guardian in the course of 6 hours, both to level 14. Preferring the guardian it's a class that I would also like to level up and suit up, it's different from my Necromancer whos half his traits are broken, I stil love him though.

Overall I think the game still has a lot left for me, even though I haven't gotten far beside 80 I think I play too much and need to slow down more I just can't play like I used to. I put about 4 hours into gaming after work, I have to do other chores and spend time with my family I barely get any sleep. But after everything I think the game has still a while to go for me, which is good because the last games that I've played didn't last me over 2-3 weeks (Diablo III, Tera, Dayz)

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by neorandom

How about you guys?

2 weeks does not a month make.

i havent leveled past 16 yet, its rather grindy feeling and putting me off of actually playing it.

Picky, picky! hehe It's actually been 3 weeks if you count pre-purchase release. :)

Don't play the hearts, just explore and be one with the game grasshopper! /zen

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Game bores me as hell, I'm already giving some thought to which previous MMO I'll return. I won't tell which MMO, since this would be trolling, but it wont be GW2 for me.
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

"Across all characters, you have played for 250 hours"

... and I'm not even remotely close to see the end of it. I don't even have full exotics on my main yet. Having a blast just keeping on exploring the gorgeous world, doing dungeons with guildies, crafting, helping others... aka playing the game for FUN and not for the next raid gear tier.

Nie bait.

I have read posts from players who come from games like Eve Online or other sandbox MMOS and they are also getting bored quick. What do you have to say about them?

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by IPolygon

Personally the way I did it was by following the personal story and fully completing the zone that the personal story led me to before I moved on to the next. That obviously led me to max level at some point and the end of the personal story. After that I just moved and completed all the cities and then one by one the zones that were not related to my personal story.

Sure, there are nice rewards and such, but all these things are for a specific kind of players: completionists. If you are a completionist and trying to complete the whole game in 3 days, then call the game lacking content, I'll tell you you're playing it wrong. The core of the game's content is not renown hearts (not repeatable, won't get increased in later updates), waypoints, poi etc but dynamic events. The checklist is there to provide guidance for people stuck in the old ways, early adaptors recognize GW2 for DE (core content, will be enhanced and expanded in the future).

Don't say you have seen everything the game has to offer, when you are done with world completion. At that point the game begins.

edit: stupid typos

Originally posted by solarine

What about people looking for a smartly conceived hybrid - say, something like Archeage or even Fallen Earth? 

What about players who are just looking for a beautifully realized world full of lore and interesting stories and features that promote these? Say, something like LOTRO?

From my experience, there are all kinds of gamers among those who found they've gotten bored with GW2.

(removed the insulting part)

Yeah, pretty much all people who hoped GW2 would be different from what has been advertised for years now by ArenaNET.

"Sandbox only" players are known to bash any non-sandbox game anyway, specially on this site, so they aren't a big deal. We are used to them.

Archeage? We know nothing about that game but cool promises for now, excuse me if I reserve my opinion for when we have proofs all those cool promises are indeed in game. There are people living NOW and enjoy what's available NOW, and those who always dream about the next MMORPG which will fullfill all their dreams. Life told me to enjoy what you have before it's too late - so I'm part of the first group personally ;-)

Players looking for a beautifully realized world full of lore and not seeing it in GW2 need to wear better glasses. And those interesting stories in LOTRO most of the times involve you going to get 10 wolf tails, 20 boar guts and 50 goblin shields... I know about it, I have a lifetime account in that game. I actually came to wish someone like ArenaNET got the LOTRO franchise, and not Turbine.

Yes, there are "all kind" of gamers who got bored with GW2... you forgot the hardcore facerollers who already had level 80 full exotic 100% world a couple of days after release, those no game can ever satisfy because they spend more time playing video games than doing real life duties (if they have any). All those players though wanted to make GW2 something ArenaNET NEVER pretended it was. They clearly announced it wasn't another WoW clone with end game raid tier gear grind. It was also obvious it wasn't a sandbox.

So what did those people expect?

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by solarine

Yeah, pretty much all people who hoped GW2 would be different from what has been advertised for years now by ArenaNET.

"Sandbox only" players are known to bash any non-sandbox game anyway, specially on this site, so they aren't a big deal. We are used to them.

Archeage? We know nothing about that game buy cool promises for now, excuse me if I reserve my opinion for when we have proofs all those cool promises are indeed in game. There are people living NOW and enjoy what's available NOW, and those who always dream about the next MMORPG which will fullfill all their dreams.

Players looking for a beautifully realized world full of lore and not seeing it in GW2 need to wear better glasses. And those interesting stories in LOTRO most of the times involve you going to get 10 wolf tails, 20 boar guts and 50 goblin shields... I know about it, I have a lifetime account in that game. I actually came to wish someone like ArenaNET got the LOTRO franchise, and not Turbine.

Yes, there are "all kind" of gamers who got bored with GW2... you forgot the hardcore facerollers who already had level 80 full exotic 100% world a couple of days after release, those no game can ever satisfy because they spend more time playing video games than doing real life duties (if they have any). All those players though wanted to make GW2 something ArenaNET NEVER pretended it was. They clearly announced it wasn't another WoW clone with end game raid tier gear grind. It was also obvious it wasn't a sandbox.

You need to make up your mind. Is it only WOW players who get bored of GW2, or is it sandbox players? hardcore facerollers? or pretty much everyone?

Your posts make less sense than cup of noddles. Such flip flop and contradiction in every post.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Well, from the moment the mmorpgs have gained checklists (aka achievements/dailies etc), it's hard for achievers to resist filling them. For example, I really hate alts, but I may roll two up to the point that they'll give me the character creation screen badges.

Anyway, the only way to keep people in these checklist games of today is either to have a huge checklist, or an insane grind for things that people are willing to grind for. It seems that borderlands 2 is the next hot thing and people are hoping there as well.

Originally posted by halflife25

You need to make up your mind. Is it only WOW players who get bored of GW2, or is it sandbox players? hardcore facerollers? or pretty much everyone?

Your posts make less sense than cup of noddles. Such flip flop and contradiction in every post.

There's absolutely no contradiction in my posts, except the one you add with your imagination.

People disapointed/bored with GW2 are those who try to make the game something it isn't. Be it WoW clone fans who don't find their end game gear grind, sand boxers who don't find their sand, or hardcores who don't find enough content (but those never find enough content anyway =P).

People who enjoy GW2 are those have (or would have) also enjoyed games like UO or AC1, where there was no pre-defined "end game", but where the purpose was to play... for pure, simple fun. There was no gear grind in those games, no forced grouping to get the best gear either. People grouped to complete harder tasks, not to get shinier shinies. You didn't get facerolled by a guy in full "PvP gear" because there was no such thing. GW2 goes back to that model, with improvements.

To me (and that's my opinion now, of course), GW2 is what Asheron's Call 2 should have been.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by halflife25

Archeage? We know nothing about that game buy cool promises for now, excuse me if I reserve my opinion for when we have proofs all those cool promises are indeed in game. There are people living NOW and enjoy what's available NOW, and those who always dream about the next MMORPG which will fullfill all their dreams.

Duh, not all players lika any game, no matter how great (or bad) it is. I know several sandbox fans that really like GW2 actually, because it have exploration. But you might argue that they are sandbox light fans who more enjoy Skyrim than Minecraft, but still, sandbox fans are not a homogene group that all loves ganking and FFA full loot PvP.

And some people dont enjoy the story of GW2. I dont enjoy reading Harry Potter or regular dective books, that doesnt mean they all suck, just that I dont like it.

Korrigans point was probably that many Wow players seems to dizz the game without trying it and that is a misstake, if you given both games a chanse and still prefer Wow that doesnt mean you are wrong, just that taste differs.