Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So almost a month has gone by

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Creslin321

I will hopefully not be playing the game in 4 months or so, or at least not playing it to the level I am now.  Because if I am, then I have seriously neglected my RL responsibilities lol.

I think there is a misconception here that if a game does not entertain you infinitely, then it has failed.  This is a fairly ridiculous misconception.

Agreed.  But  I have seen numerous threads where people have called a game a failure because the game didn't keep them occupied past a few months.

• EsLafielEsLafiel Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Omnifish

I'm enjoying it mostly, though I can see a few problems for me on the horizion:

-I'm finding it difficult to actually, 'bond', with a class, by that I mean find a class I really want to play to the end with. I've rerolled a few times and have a few alts, it's got to the point were I've had to force myself to just play one class for a while. It also bothers me that I'm 63 on my main, (elementalist), and I already have most of the exciting skills unlocked and there isn't a huge amount to look forward to powerwise.  Just more utilitywise skills which are a tad uninspiring. 

-The trinity isn't dead, (I wasn't expecting it to be, to be fair), it's just different in dungeon settings.  Essentially you need one or two damage mitigation skilled players, a kiter, a dpser and a condition remover/buffer/debuffer, (the last is the most essentially IMO), for a chance at success.  The problem is most people haven't really been sold this concept, they believe they can play the same way they do in DE's which leads to graveyard zerging solutions.  Also not all classes can fufil these roles so bringing the player isn't viable, I've already seen groups trying to recruit specific classes willinging to play a certain way.  That wasn't part of the manifesto but some encounters are much easier with a knowledgeable Mesmer/Necro.

-The leveling is awkward at times, it varies from being a breeze with lots of players to having to run around other areas in the same level bracket to keep up with the personal story or just get ahead.  While it's great that's there multiple zones to level, I'd rather keep that for an alt so I could have a different experience. The only time I've leveled within a zone to the zone cap was with a Norn Necro and that was doing two of the events twice and the group event four times, which isn't particularly dynamic.   The actually quests/events are really a reversal of the usual questing system.  Your still doing about the same 5-6 things just not speaking to anyone about the context of it.  A lot of them lack imagination or variety.

-For a game based around grouping it's probably the most antisocial game I've ever encountered.  Barely anyone in areas talk to each other, unless to ask for something and guilds seem to be made up of people who already know each in RL, so you feel a tad leftout.  This of course completely subjective I may just be unlucky, but for someone like me, (who has no friends who play online games so who makes friends ingame), this maybe the main reason why it won't be a long term stayer for me.

There are a couple of other niggles about the camera and the PVP feeling pointless, but yeah not sure long term if it's for me but I am enjoying it despite some faults :)

To me my traits is enough progression and I change my skills and movement base on how I do my traits.

Second they said in a interview that they doing Control/support/dps is how they doing it now and thats what you basicially just said. They said the old holy trinity is dead and it is. Esp since any class can do those roles.

My guild have tested this, 6 ele can do it, 6 gaur can do it and so on. We did it with all class like that.

However if all have the same build it will fail, you need to have a team with different builds. You need 2 controls at lest, and the rest can have any build. However also you can make your build where you can do all 3 and just focus a bit more on one.

The de yes at it basic core is the same thing. It the same as with story's, every story ever made at it basic core follows the first 15 stories. Human are limited on what we can imagine and so no story at it core will be different then the 15 basic stoires. 

So why do people keep reading new stoires if in reality they all the same at there core.Because it all how you dress them up.

Same with questing, there only 6 different types out there and all you can do is dress them up differently to make them feel different.

Gw2 does this with DE, and I like it. I follow the DE lines and watch carefully and you get tons of lore and such if you follow the npc around. I really do love when a DE fails as well, because then you go into a path that is ususally more fun then if you win it. 

That being said, ive ran into multy ones that was boring.

Lastly on the sociel part, I can see how it easy to feel that way.

I my self dont got any real friends in real life.

However, on the game I am really outgoing, I have whisper so many random people and help so many people.

That ever time I log in now I always get whisper asking for help and asking if I can play with them.

So yes if you outgoing, you can get a lot of people. At same time I am on multy people blocklist(those with out humor)

Since I Whisper and say, are you my mommy and such a lot of the time. THose who are funny people and my type of people. That will strick a conversation with them and we get a long a lot and start to play together.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

just last night i crossed the 40lvl milestone and i can say i enjoy it in full, also i nejoy that this is the only game i play with my gf xD

i still dont have time for sPvP or WvW, but now my exams are ended i believe i will burn the game a bit :P

awesome graphics, the devs are here and fixing, awesome story (i feel sorry for those who are boring of it..!), awesome gameplay for first time i had problem in fights not cause of bad gear but of bad play from me, when my gear was outlvled i realised i need new staf !, awesome way of lvl up i am 40+lvl and still havent seen a mob over 31lvl ..!, awesome crafting i choose chef and i still lvl up there just for fun !!!

the issues are with the Trading Market which is global... the queues in WvWvW, the fact that a majority of problems would be solved with a proper beta and finally the bad community of haters who wish to fail the game just cause there was a lot of hype they just want to show they are against the system, and with their act they provide the system of greedy game developers

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

I'm not real impressed outside WvW.

Decent game but actually overall I wouldn't say it is anything special outside there being no sub and it is great for making alts.

About what I expected really except for the fact dungeons in this game are incredibly lame

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by drakaena
    Level 80 complete set of crafted yellows. Starting to lose motivation to log in. I really don't care about getting 100% map completion. May do explorable dungeons and tournies on occasion with friends. Feels like the game is done for the most part. Back to consoles and real life until the next wave of MMOs hit.

If you want to love MMOs more you need to throw that console as far away as you can. Consoles are a bane to longevity for any game as they are for quick fixes.

I'm far from being done even with 2 80s. Haven't completed the storyline yet. Haven't even done any dungeons yet. My girlfriend keeps saying she hates the game, but she loves the crafting and spends hours on it.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Creslin321

I will hopefully not be playing the game in 4 months or so, or at least not playing it to the level I am now.  Because if I am, then I have seriously neglected my RL responsibilities lol.

I think there is a misconception here that if a game does not entertain you infinitely, then it has failed.  This is a fairly ridiculous misconception.

Failed for them? Yeah, I think they can more can say that considering there are mmos out there people for years. Considering the context of the entire post.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

Reached lvl 55 and still keep an interest in playing. Game is ok, nothing more though.

Miss the social aspect from SWG pre cu, guess I'm spoilt from having played it for 7 years.

[mod edit]

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    ~140 hours in and still enjoying it. Keep it simple guys, stop talking GW2, do GW2 or if you want to help improve the game, post in on the official forums, else just stay away from the game.
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by IPolygon
    ~140 hours in and still enjoying it. Keep it simple guys, stop talking GW2, do GW2 or if you want to help improve the game, post in on the official forums, else just stay away from the game.

Official forums mirror mmorpg.com forum now days. And telling people to stay away from game always works right? they will do exactly like you said. That solved the problem then i guess.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by IPolygon

Official forums mirror mmorpg.com forum now days. And telling people to stay away from game always works right? they will do exactly like you said. That solved the problem then i guess.

I think you misunderstood him. He's trying to say stop talking about GW2 on the forums and just play it (i think.) and if you want to voice your concerns, do it on the official forums.

Also, I am enjoying the game inspite of it's flaws. I can see this being a long term game for me, especially if holiday content is released ala GW1.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    I'm having fun still. I'm not even level 60, I have terrible gear and my crafing professions are super low despite collecting many ingredients. This is probably the slowest I've ever been progression-wise. I suppose that is partially why I am having fun. I have zero burnout right now because on average I get about 2 hours a night to play and I know I have lots of gameplay ahead of me.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

level 80, full set of crafted rare armour, working on the full set of rare jewellery, will be working on the full set of exotics. Been 80 for about a week, haven't finished my personal story yet, working through the story mode of dungeons in order then I'll do explorables, only on 37% map completion, saving some areas for my alts. Done a tiny bit of WvW intend to do a lot more. Have at least two alts waiting in the wings for once my main completes the personal story. Got several months of play left for sure. Loving it :)

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

There are some people in this thread posting negative opinions about their play who have said in previous posts they'd never play this game....

or have obviously not played from previous comments.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by Wolvards
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

In DAoC you'd hear a story of a rogue who took hours to sneak his way across a battlefield, up through the enemy's keep, into the room and stealing the object along with making it all the way back. You won't hear stories of such cool things in GW2.

I'm very glad GW2 doesn't have any of this. Some specific classes with specific abilities able to solo stuff meant for an organized group? And you seem to say it's a positive feature of the game? You must be kidding, right? I guess you got so addicted to Mythic's way of balancing a game that you can't see the flaws of it anymore ;-)

And before you call other people names like "super fan", maybe you will want to tone down your own blind love for a long dead game, DAoC, and also keep in mind the people you call "super fans" were doing PvP in online games years before DAoC was even a dream in Mark Jacob's twisted brain, and people who think DAoC's PvP is the best thing since sliced bread remain a tiny minority.

I'm gonna tell you something - every single game since DAoC had it's share of DAoC fans at release whining that the game wasn't DAoC2. Most games survived just fine without being "that" game, they actually did well BECAUSE they were NOT "that" DAoC2 game. And GW2 will do just fine too.

Barbecue time anyway - have a nice day.

Here you go, you seem to have had them delete my response before, wouldn't want you to miss out on the truth.

I played MMOs from The Realm. And I played plenty of games before then. You're blinded by your own fanboyness to assume anyone who compares WvW to DAoC (where the idea was stolen from) is a super fan of DAoC. I don't compre it to the PvP in Asheron's Call because Asheron's Call doesn't have a WvW/RvR system. I don't compare it to SWG, UO, etc etc etc. because they don't have those systems.

I can't describe in words the involved in thinking that comparing the only other MMO to have a similar PvP structure as being a super fan of that game and applying that to all who dare to challenge the crap that is GW2 WvW.

DAoC was never my favorite MMO, however I did enjoy it for the PvP. The PvE was terrible. So maybe engage that fleshy mass inside your head before making the most assanine assumptions possible.

Enjoy your BBQ, I hope someone else is working the grill for the neighbor's sake.

Been reading the last couple pages, and I must agree with you on RvR vs WvW.

I guess we are "bitter old DAoC vets" even though i'm only 20.

Most people that don't like DAoC's PvP disliked its CC, but that's the only form of controlling a zerg that works. Siege is limited in GW2, which is great, and it CAN hold out against a zerg, but even a 10 seconds mesmerize would IMO be great, you still have all your condition removals you can use to purge them, but it needs something. 

I know what DAoC brought to the table. It's par none one of the best PvP games made, ONE of the best, i'm not claiming king, but one of the best made. 

I know what it brought, I experienced it all, groups from 2 to 150, I know it. I knew the enemy leaders better than they did :) (looking at you billings and clumsy), they ran the same type of zerg for years, and I found counters to each scenario. 

My point, While i like GW2's interpretation of DAoC's RvR (that's undeniable), there are things that would make it better IMO. Does it mean I don't like GW2? No it's actualy the only MMO i'm playing. 

I could write a huge long essay on things to do differently, and why certain area's don't allow certain types of gameplay, simple things like swiftness, would really increase the potential of small mans being effective. i'm talking 2 people, not 8. 

Others as well, but none-the-less i'm just a bitter young DAoC vet. 

I disliked DAoC's community there were some horrible individuals.  Problem with games that require grouping is that it gives rise the bad side as well... say a guy ninja looted and his character is ruined.  Don't need proof... just get a few people to say it and the community goes with it.  Oh and the elite gank guilds?  Many cheated.... 8 man gank guilds worked so well because someone had radar going.  One of the top alb ones on percival (ran by a reaver) said they cheated after the leader retired.

Also I didn't like DAoCing casting system.... apparently getting hit with a claymore stops me from casting except for quickcasts....(sometimes if they are just near you...apparently that claymore's presence is enough).  I'm fine with that.... what I'm not fine with is the logic that getting hit with a massive ball of fire doesn't slow you down at all or stop you from swinging your claymore.

• jackwu10jackwu10 Member Posts: 127

lvl 62, and stopped, havent played for a week days. start playing boarderlands now.

i guess this is the beauty of this game, b2p, no sub, no pressure, can go back to it if i ever wanted to, but i dunno about it :)

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Still loving it and only lvl 65 on my ele, lvl 32 on my engi and the other 3 char slot filled with lvl 10'ishes.

Past week I hardly played though because it's crazy busy times at work and I was too tired to be active in game but yay weekend so continuing the blast :)

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Originally posted by Torgrim

How do you feel about the game, the good the bad what might come?

For me I still enjoy the game, I don't rush but the game seem to rush on me via leveling is somewhat increased after lvl 40 despite anet 1-2 takes as long as 79-80.

Besides that I still having a blast playing the game.

How about you guys?

They never said 1-2 would take the same time as 79-80.

They said it would be a flat leveling curve. Which means that you will not need 5 trillion XP at level 78 like other MMOs. 

This is the MMO with the easiest leveling Ive been across. Unless you count GW1 where you could hit max level under 10 hours if you rushed like crazy. 

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

Yep, still enjoying it, still got tons to do, and still feel the game has loads of room to live into.   Main level 52 Mesmer, 4 alts very low.  135 hours total for all chars.  Mostly PvE, some sPvP, no WvWvW yet (again, this is something that I feel is there for me later).

I'm coming out of the honeymoon phase, for sure; the game isn't as fresh and new as it was, it's starting to feel familiar, but I'm still playing every day and having fun.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    took me this long plus all the BWE's to figure out my favorite class.. so I'm not going anywhere for a long while:) funny because my favorite race/class combo is the two i hadn't planned on playing at all when testing in beta but asura ranger has by far become the most fun PVE combo I have tried so far.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• HarttzHarttz Member Posts: 91

I'm not really sure why but I am not logging in very often which is unusual for me at release. When Cataclysm released I hit 85 in less than 3 days and was geared and raiding the second week. In SWTOR I reached 50 in about a week and had Battlemaster and cleared EV before the end of the first month. In GW2, I am only level 55 and find myself logging in maybe 2-3 times per week for only a few hours.

There are a lot of things I like about the game but I just haven't found any reason to play it a lot. I enjoy Vistas and exploring so that is what I am focusing on but it gets a little tedious after a while. I have tried to do DEs but I feel like I spend 15 minutes searching for them for every 15 minutes I spend actually playing one. They also just don't really capture my fancy like other games have since I hate escort quests so, so much. I think WvW probably has the most potential to get me hooked on this game but I want to let it get more settled and have the queue times drop a little before I get into it. I think I might be more motivated if I was in a guild and ran dungeons and DEs with friends but I haven't made any friends in game yet and I don't want to join a random guild until the dust has settled a bit and I can see who actually sticks around and commits to the game.

I guess I would say I am taking a cautious wait and see attitude toward the game at this point.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I haven't logged in in about a week.  Boredom with GW2 plus Borderlands 2 and now Torchlight 2 and next week panda land means I probably won't be playing again anytime soon.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    I haven't logged in in about a week.  Boredom with GW2 plus Borderlands 2 and now Torchlight 2 and next week panda land means I probably won't be playing again anytime soon.

same feelings m8

• lerwenlerwen Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Originally posted by papardelios

same feelings m8

same 

need something new again

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508
    great game, still lots of fun. Only gripe is how sometimes enemies dont load fast enough in WvW. Oh well, Im sure its on the list of fixes, still great anyways.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by lerwen
    Originally posted by papardelios

same feelings m8

same 

need something new again

So I logged back in on my level 80 druid (85 badass lock is on a pve server ...) tonight after 1 1/2 years, 7 day free pass. Wholly shit it's like different game.  Took an hour setting up my action bars, then went to the Hyjal portal, and what do you know? I see a guy lying by the portal dead, then see the stunned swirls over another guys head. He dies as two undead rogues hop off and stealthed.

I smiled and thought, "Ah wpvp."

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"