Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Merges Round Two

http://www.swtor.com/transfer

Servers merging from 26 servers to 20. The Australian servers are not being consolidated, 2 are dead.

That means SWTOR's population will now be spread across 18 servers. Mind you some servers have to be kept for Austalian ping, and French and German speakers.

Among the server casualties is the once King-Daddy server, "The Fatman".

Mind you, the announcement has the usual "We have upgraded destination servers in order to support a significantly higher number of players." stuck in there for good measure.

Of course, you could call it a server restructuring. The new servers, although fewer in number, are Mega-servers! Bioware is just preparing for the millions of new FTP accounts.

Also of note the 190 origin servers from the previous server "transfers" will now be permanently closed.

Comments

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Up to after the mess that was C6CD, SWG had more servers. (26)  And possibly now, more subs and players pre-C6CD as well.  Maybe next year, post server merge SWG will probably still have more servers than after the next round of merges of TOR.  2 rounds of servers merges, both with cuts, all in 1 year.  Yep, there's certainly nothing wrong with this game.
  • MeGaTronPowerMeGaTronPower Member Posts: 80
    So they are going to server merge more until they end up like tera?
  • CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Is there a date when this game goes F2P ? 

So far all I've been able to find out is " in the fall..." .     I'll go look again I guess. 

• dwarfusdwarfus Member UncommonPosts: 93

I just looked on the FTP - I found November. 

I'm actually kinda anxious to get back in on a FTP model as now my characters that I had to start on 4 different servers as each one died are finally consolidated to one server. It gives you certain legacy buff perks which are key to PVP matches when players forget to rebuff their teammates.

I like GW2, but I'm anxious to play some more SWTOR. Yes, I know haters, hard to believe, but there are some who actually think this game is fun in some aspects. For instance, it's PVP matches are relatively fun compared to sPVP. Subjective, but an opinion.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by dwarfus

I just looked on the FTP - I found November. 

I'm actually kinda anxious to get back in on a FTP model as now my characters that I had to start on 4 different servers as each one died are finally consolidated to one server. It gives you certain legacy buff perks which are key to PVP matches when players forget to rebuff their teammates.

I like GW2, but I'm anxious to play some more SWTOR. Yes, I know haters, hard to believe, but there are some who actually think this game is fun in some aspects. For instance, it's PVP matches are relatively fun compared to sPVP. Subjective, but an opinion.

I feel the same as you, just waiting until its Free to Play, then will use this as a secondary to Guild Wars too with Skyrim as my back up to both lol. The good news is that the story mode in Gw2 is so cheesy, that it makes me miss the story in this game...but I only wish this world felt alive like GW2.

There Is Always Hope!

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by Corehaven

Is there a date when this game goes F2P ? 

So far all I've been able to find out is " in the fall..." .     I'll go look again I guess. 

They've been saying November, although no actual date has been released.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

When checking server status a few hours ago, I could see all 200 server as UP.

Now it is in maintenance mode, but logging in with a F2L15 account, there is now only 8 NA servers, 3 English EU servers, 5 German servers, 1 French server and 3 Asia servers - It looks pathetic

• Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524
    This was a pleasant shock for me waking up, Wish they gave us a heads up on this one. Hope we get another 25 hell we should get 50 Black Hole comms free.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I've never liked the idea of different servers for any MMO.

It's an MMO, we should all be playing together, not on different servers!  If they could manage to get everyone down to one server, that would be cool (given that it was not a ghosttown, of course);

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    So from 216 to 26 to 20. Yikes.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by superniceguy

Now it is in maintenance mode, but logging in with a F2L15 account, there is now only 8 NA servers, 3 English EU servers, 5 German servers, 1 French server and 3 Asia servers - It looks pathetic

lol Look at the server status, it's been narrowed down alot, of course they can false advertise and say the servers are being uprgraded to mega servers to make up for the loss of the 200 servers Lol.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• ban-chanban-chan Member UncommonPosts: 25
    so did they merge Jung Ma with another server. I'm wanting to see if it's worth it or no.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made - Groucho Marx

Originally posted by grimal

I've never liked the idea of different servers for any MMO.

It's an MMO, we should all be playing together, not on different servers!  If they could manage to get everyone down to one server, that would be cool (given that it was not a ghosttown, of course);

10 years down the line maybe but people argue between being on a PvP server and a PvE server, depending if the game has factions. Most people play for the PvP. So playing on only one server won't work out that well, just loads of complaining and arguing in general chat or whatever.

Edit: It's also just like saying for people to agree on the same thing, then things will be coordinated as shit but no thats not the case, you can't make someone change unless they want to change themselves. Everyone can't agree on the same thing in this world.

Originally posted by ban-chan
    so did they merge Jung Ma with another server. I'm wanting to see if it's worth it or no.

They mine as well because 90 percent of jung ma already left to GW2.

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    Definitely a drastic change..however this game had way too many servers from the start. imo.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Jonoku

lol Look at the server status, it's been narrowed down alot, of course they can false advertise and say the servers are being uprgraded to mega servers to make up for the loss of the 200 servers Lol.

Yeah Th Red Eclipse was saying FULL, at one point, so I do not think they are high pop / mega servers if that is the case.

All they have done is increased character slots from 8 to 12, and the servers are higher populated with the rest coming in from the Origin servers.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by ban-chan

Jung Ma is still a server. They don't look all that full for prime time atm either.

http://www.swtor.com/server-status

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by Jonoku

Yeah Th Red Eclipse was saying FULL, at one point, so I do not think they are high pop / mega servers if that is the case.

All they have done is increased character slots from 8 to 12, and the servers are higher populated with the rest coming in from the Origin servers.

Yeah. Call it a glitch if you want to, but stealthy closing several servers while announcing new MEGA-servers, only to have some of them hit Full with 1,000 person plus waiting queue  on Day 1 is quite telling in regard to the new MEGA technology.

As I write this in US East Coast prime time, http://www.swtor.com/server-status

several of the servers are Heavy and Very Heavy.

*EDIT* 2 are listed as full.

Just what is this huge population cap on these new Mega servers?

Also of note, those increased charcter slots, from 8 to 12, were not applied to the Asian-Paciic 3 (unmerged) servers.

http://www.torstatus.net/shards/apac/trends

The lack of updating the charcter slots on the Australian servers, coupled with their extremely low populations, makes me think that EA will be closing those servers soon.

That will leave SWTOR with 17 servers total.

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149
    Looks like of those 20 only about 5 are active. Ouch.
  • iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Absolute trainwreck.

The thing with server mergers is they seldom work.  They are a bandaid.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Originally posted by dead2soon

Yeah I think the Asia Pacific servers are always going be (and have almost always been) light. I'm a bit surprised that all of the European servers are light as well. I guess the server merge wasn't enough to even bring one of them to standard status. What really surprises me is that you only have one very heavy and one heavy NA server after merging so many servers.

With almost everyone jumping ship from the company (I think only Ohlen is left?) I wonder how the populations will look right before the game goes F2P.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Its a strange situation for any new MMO.  You need 100's of servers at launch to accomodate all the fans who need to play from day one but then you know that the reality will be maybe around 10-20% of those servers.  So as people flee the game for whatever reason you keep scaling back until, hopefully, the pop stabilises.

My issue with TOR is that the game, like all games, had flaws but the design was shocking for an MMO.  I replaced my gametime on TOR with Skyrim.  I want an open world Bioware/EA, not forced through a virtual sausage machine!

Don't even think I will bother with FTP. Too busy with GW2 and Skyrim.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by chryses

Its a strange situation for any new MMO.  You need 100's of servers at launch to accomodate all the fans who need to play from day one but then you know that the reality will be maybe around 10-20% of those servers.  So as people flee the game for whatever reason you keep scaling back until, hopefully, the pop stabilises.

My issue with TOR is that the game, like all games, had flaws but the design was shocking for an MMO.  I replaced my gametime on TOR with Skyrim.  I want an open world Bioware/EA, not forced through a virtual sausage machine!

I get what you are saying, but generalizing that MMO's should expect to only need 10-20% of their launch servers less then a year later is a bit excessive.

In fact, I would go even further and say that this concept is in fact espoused and championed by EA to absolve themselves from any responsibility for making a substandard game.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by chryses

A lot of this was the way they designed the game.  They made too many servers, but their engine was so poorly optimized, you couldn't have lots of people in the same instance.  So you created a copy of that instance to dump everyone in, and then another, another, etc.

So in addition to the feeling of empty servers from there being way too many (more apt for a 5 million release than a 2 million), the way they did the instancing made it feel even emptier.  That latter problem is compounded even more when there are roughly 500-700k players.  (More likely at the 500k end.)  It feels empty as is, but even emptier with their instancing system, because the engine STILL can't handle a lot of people.

Previous Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor
    Originally posted by dead2soon

Yeah I think the Asia Pacific servers are always going be (and have almost always been) light. I'm a bit surprised that all of the European servers are light as well. I guess the server merge wasn't enough to even bring one of them to standard status. What really surprises me is that you only have one very heavy and one heavy NA server after merging so many servers.

With almost everyone jumping ship from the company (I think only Ohlen is left?) I wonder how the populations will look right before the game goes F2P.

If your an English speaker, your probably better off on the american servers anyway, at least, thats what i chose to do, from the UK the east coast servers are 'playable'  latency of about 130 ms, but its not a shooter game so that level of latency is perfectly acceptable. The 'Euro' servers have always been a bit of a joke anyway. image