Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why GW2 Lacks Longevity

Comments

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

Purely my opinion of course, but after playing GW2 and enjoying it to a degree, I don't see the game having very much longevity.  Want to find out why?  Click below:

(warning:  pretty long)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfIVT8vO8Ds&list=UUDxQGrgLy5mfqbyqfu5gCMQ&index=0&feature=plcp

its not sub-based game that means you dont have to hurry and to do everything immediately, its an MMO for casuals.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

I played GW1 for more than 7 years due to excellent PvP. GW2 is missing the old GvG format, but once it returns (hopefully) GW2 too will be the game for me for the next couple of years.

PvP is my longevity in any game. There is and never will be better longevity content than PvP.

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Sadly, I agree that GW2 lacks longevity. To me the combat system (as thief, the other classes not so much) was ALOT of fun. But I'm afraid fun isn't really what motivates me to play games for longer periods of time. The game does indeed need more depths, right now it feels alot like a Diablo type game. And though I enjoy those, I don't play them for very long. sPvP tournaments I could really see myself enjoying if I still had my serious pvp friends playing, and WvW could be fun in an organized guild if there actually was a way to gather your guild in a specific map (the queues really makes that impossible). Orr is really a HUGE disappointment. In fact, dynamic events are a huge disappointment. Mostly because they're not dynamic, rather just random. I mean, I get happy every time I see a DE, but that's because I can't count on there being one there, so it sort of feels like loot drop, if you understand me. Granted, DEs are much more fun that the stale questing of WoW, but as the only endgame content (in the open world) they really don't cut it.
  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

.... I am not even sure where to begin.

The context is what I was getting at- NVM.... And I wasnt talking talking about combat mechanics ( I am a turn based guy, personally) but was giving the difference between an ARPG (Diablo) and an RPG (I used FF7 since everyone has probably played it-) 

And FF7 was fantastic (for its time) and really moved the genre (JRPG) forward. There was tons of side things to do, easter eggs, hidden areas, etc. And it is still selling nearly 15 or so years later- I would call it a full success.

But I never said GW2 wasnt a success. I was trying to discuss its faults but apparently many here feel a personal attachment to the game like I have said something about their child or parents. GW2 is NT a full fledged MMORPG. Wanna see, give it a few months . Thats the answer-

GW2 is a good game that will fail to keep one entertained after level cap- then a new Xpac will come and we will all play till cap again, get bored and repeat.

Thats it- I'm out. GW 2 has zero faults, is the best game ever and anyone who has any complaint is an idiot. Okay. No point in this any longer- Discussion is not acceptable (unless its to praise GW2)

... the ONLY difference between an RPG and an ARPG is the mechanics though.  You can have an RPG with just as crappy of a story as Diablo.

They could have made FF7 an ARPG by switching the combat system.  Also, your last line is kind of sad, because I didn't say anything about GW2, I'm just talking about the difference between an RPG and an ARPG.  If FF7 had the combat mechanics of Diablo, it could still be basically the same game, except for.. .well, the combat.  .. .and it would then be an ARPG.

Also, your last line was a cheap shot and completely unnecessary.  I don't care if you want to have GW2s babies or if you think it's the antichrist, I just think you're not understanding what the 'A' in ARPG stands for, if you think that it deals with the depth of the world.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455
    One again, the OP states his opinion as if it was a fact...
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

The OP started his post with "Purely my opinion ...". Are you sure we're reading the same thing? Besides, unless somebody specifically claims to represent a large group of people, he doesn't even need to use these kind of disclaimers, imo, since it's pretty obbious we're sharing opinions in this forum.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

It's on you if you take what he said as Fact. I took it as an opinion..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by KingPinoy

I am currently a lvl 80 ranger, I enjoy the game, but at times I grind dungeons just for money and gear.(tokens) It does burn out quickly, but thank god its not a sub game. Sub games i always feel like i have to get my moneys worth. I see how some are burnt out, its just about what kind of player you are.

This part makes me *sigh*.

I seems people have this compulsion in sub games to "get their money's worth" in a weird way. Some are willing to give up 10 bucks for a character slot, which is IMO a rip off, but if one doesn't play the game for hours upon hours they feel like they're wasting money on their sub.

It seems like mmorpgs lonegevity isn't even judged by game mechanics and quality anymore, but about how free or not it is. Makes me wonder what would happen if GW2 had a aubscription fee.

Originally posted by Xasapis

The OP started his post with "Purely my opinion ...". Are you sure we're reading the same thing? Besides, unless somebody specifically claims to represent a large group of people, he doesn't even need to use these kind of disclaimers, imo, since it's pretty obbious we're sharing opinions in this forum.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough, I was meaning that video, not really the OP post.

My bad :)

The anti GW2 hype crap spewed in that video got old before the game was even released. The OP is bashing the game since beta, don't expect me to suddenly give him any credit.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

I am currently a lvl 80 ranger, I enjoy the game, but at times I grind dungeons just for money and gear.(tokens) It does burn out quickly, but thank god its not a sub game. Sub games i always feel like i have to get my moneys worth. I see how some are burnt out, its just about what kind of player you are.

I seems people have this compulsion in sub games to "get their money's worth" in a weird way. Some are willing to give up 10 bucks for a character slot, which is IMO a rip off, but if one doesn't play the game for hours upon hours they feel like they're wasting money on their sub.

It seems like mmorpgs lonegevity isn't even judged by game mechanics and quality anymore, but about how free or not it is. Makes me wonder what would happen if GW2 had a aubscription fee.

People would be going ape shit.

It's not though props to Anet for the forethought and self awareness. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by eAzydaman
    For me games like WOW lacks longevity BIGTIME. I hate raiding and the PVP is stupid due to a no-skill required combat system. I played that crapfest for 4 months and only did a little bit of open world pvp and normal questing.So as you can see it depends on the player. Some of us can play sPVP and WvWvW for years and not get bored.
    ^ that. I got GW2 for the pvp. We held off a castle for 5 hours back on Sunday in world vs world, it was the most fun I've had since the player faction base raids in SWG back in 2004. Back in City of Heroes, Recluse's Victory was also fun (before the issue 11 pvp patch).

If 15 minute shoebox pvp zones is your thing (with long queue times in between), so be it. I got sick of that crap in WoW and TOR.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by sookster54

I got GW2 for the pvp. We held off a castle for 5 hours back on Sunday in world vs world, it was the most fun I've had since the player faction base raids in SWG back in 2004. Back in City of Heroes, Recluse's Victory was also fun (before the issue 11 pvp patch).

If 15 minute shoebox pvp zones is your thing (with long queue times in between), so be it. I got sick of that crap in WoW and TOR.

nice )

I got GW2 for the pvp. We held off a castle for 5 hours back on Sunday in world vs world, it was the most fun I've had since the player faction base raids in SWG back in 2004. Back in City of Heroes, Recluse's Victory was also fun (before the issue 11 pvp patch).

This is what WvW is all about. Only the "PuG" players do zerg. When you play organized, you can do wonders, and have a blast doing so.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

Makes me wonder what would happen if GW2 had a aubscription fee.

Most of the people posting and playing wouldn't pay and GW2 wouldn't be the best thing since sliced bread they claim it t be.

No sub is one of the main reasons why people are playing. Just look at the thread that asked how many people spent money in the shop. 70% of the people who responded haven't. Have to wonder if the game is as good as some say if the majority of people playing don't want to spend money to support it.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

Prime time EU, 9 servers are already on medium population. They were all high for first week. We will see how it goes in a month or so.  

I haven't checked US servers during prime time.

For me games like WOW lacks longevity BIGTIME. I hate raiding and the PVP is stupid due to a no-skill required combat system. I played that crapfest for 4 months and only did a little bit of open world pvp and normal questing.

So as you can see it depends on the player. Some of us can play sPVP and WvWvW for years and not get bored.

^ that. I got GW2 for the pvp. We held off a castle for 5 hours back on Sunday in world vs world, it was the most fun I've had since the player faction base raids in SWG back in 2004. Back in City of Heroes, Recluse's Victory was also fun (before the issue 11 pvp patch).

Yeah because WOW and TOR is all that is left isn't it? how about WAR and DAOC? i had fun doing keep seiges in both of these games. I have no idea why would you pick two of the most horrible PVP MMOS to make your point.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by halflife25

Prime time EU, 9 servers are already on medium population. They were all high for first week. We will see how it goes in a month or so.  

I've been looking at this too. US during prime time lastnight were all heavy none were full. There has been about eight or nine servers full up until the last few days.

I think it's too early to use this as an indicator of anything though, because I've "heard" they increased server size. I do think the less populated severs have gotten smaller though, judging by WvW.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by TalulaRose

No sub is one of the main reasons why people are playing. Just look at the thread that asked how many people spent money in the shop. 70% of the people who responded haven't. Have to wonder if the game is as good as some say if the majority of people playing don't want to spend money to support it.

by that reasoning,

WOW players should be buying mounts and pets to support Blizzard more?

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by MosesZD

1. How long do you think you can grind those same 8 dungeons? I personally would last a month in WoW. In GW2, I don't know because I've heard the dungeons can be a miserable experience.

So, in other words, you don't have a clue.   Only what some people have said.   I'll be honest, I have yet to do any of them.   But not one single person in my guild has expressed any negative opinions about the dungeons.

So, in other words, you don't have a clue. Only what some people have said.

Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by halflife25

I've been looking at this too. US during prime time lastnight were all heavy none were full. There has been about eight or nine servers full up until the last few days.

I think it's too early to use this as an indicator of anything though, because I've "heard" they increased server size. I do think the less populated severs have gotten smaller though, judging by WvW.

All the servers were high after Anet increased server capacity. So i don't think that has anything to do with 9 servers being medium now. 

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

Well 22 pages of suggestions of what you can do at level 80 says it all really .

The thing is mmos arn't static games they always have new content added to them . I would think you will annual expansion packs and maybe mini-expansions more frequently than that .

Theres always alts to level and always new crafts to level with those alts . PVP offers a huge amount of longterm gameplay as well . In fact in WoW all I do at 85 is PvP .

I think its all a matter of perspective but GW2 seems to offer as good if not better an endgame than pretty much all the mmos on the market today .

And it has no sub . I'm actually looking at the War Z as well because it appears to be another buy to play mmo .

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

This is what WvW is all about. Only the "PuG" players do zerg. When you play organized, you can do wonders, and have a blast doing so.

as any new game with large scale combat the easiest thing to do if you have no idea what's going on is follow the herd of people.. now don't get me wrong WvW needs zergs how else do you storm a castle without a mass of people? But overall WvW is hardly just zerg vs zerg as many people on these forums claim.. it also isn't just greater population = win everytime.. try playing in a match with two teams with good leaders makes a WORLD of difference in the battle and what goes on.. as time goes more people will take the leader roles and the battles will get better and better

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ApacHeAMApacHeAM Member UncommonPosts: 15

Well my experience with this game lasted 2 days, after those I gave my account and my box to my nephew. Result? After 36 hrs he gave me the game back.

Epic fail, back to SWTOR!!!!!! 

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by Zuvielify
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM

I appretiate your opinion.

I'll add why I think GW2 has enough content to make me busy for at least a year:

- 8 Challenging dungeons with 32 different experiences

- over 1000 dynamic events. Arenanet stated they will be secretly adding new events to all zones

- legendary weapons - they require a lot of effort and those who want to get prestige weapon skins with special effects has lots of work to do

- exploration - tons of secret jumping puzzles

- WvW - lots of fun, two week long matches, epic battles. This feature alone has tons of replayability.

- sPvP - very adicting, almost DotA/League of Legends addicting, I can see myself spending lots of time here.

- Non-linear story. To see all branches of one race story you need to create at least 20 characters of the same race. Multiply that by 5 races and you get tons of replayability

- By the end of this content new expansions will come, each adding 1 year worth of content

1. How long do you think you can grind those same 8 dungeons? I personally would last a month in WoW. In GW2, I don't know because I've heard the dungeons can be a miserable experience.

2. Two things: One: Most of the 1000 you will do while leveling, and most you wont go back to. Two: How many of those 1000 are almost identical? I made it to 45 and I would say about 80% of the DEs I saw were very similar to others.

3. Can't comment on this. I don't know what it entails. I imagine it's dungeon grind, which is typical MMO, so that's fine.

4. Most of the exploring you also do while you level up. Once you're done, you're not going to go back. 

5 and 6 aren't my cup o' tea. People who are playing for this and enjoying it will have a good time in GW2

7. Are you really going to reroll to see all of the branches in the story? If you are, I am impressed at your ability to redo 97% of the game content to see 3%

8. 1 year? questionable, imo. If it's the same as above, then I say 1 Month

This is a post about longevity, not about how fun it is to level in GW2. Once you reach the end, and you will reach the end, most people will get bored and leave. Some will come back for the expansions

Edit: I'm sorry if I sounded rude in this post. Your post was respectful, and I wish to be the same

One small factor you are getting wrong about this game....you will go back and you do go back. Unlike TOR where there is no reason to go back to the lower level area, in GW2 there is and it drops your level into the range of the area you are in so that it's not pointless to jump in to the DE's while there. Just the exploration aspect will bring you back if you care about that kind of thing, there are a lot of hidden places that you will miss while leveling.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I find it interesting how players will make a sweeping, generalized and negative statement against another game typically loaded with Hyperbole, then turn around and give us an example of something they did in the game they like as if its just the way thnigs are, always and forever.

For every example of fun you have in GW2 PVP others can list many more where it was a steamrolling zergfest of a lynch mob. And for every example of PVP in a "shoebox" you state, there are many more who will tell you an example of an epic battle they had in Wintergergrasp or Conquest.

If all these one off examples of epic-ness were the rule and not the exception, I doubt we'd be seeing so much backlash against these games right after they launched and failed to deliver on the over rated hype they enjoyed during development.