Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't play this game because of terrible mouse lag/camera smoothing/acceleration

Comments

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by thefang01

The issue exists. The only explanation I have for people not noticing is that they got used to it or did not play a lot of games without camera smoothing.

To be fair, I almost got used to it. Almost. Still, it would be a vast improvement if it could be disabled as that would increase precision and overall responsiveness of the character controls.

I'm starting to believe this myself. If someone isn't able to notice the difference between the camera movement in this game and say, WoW for instance, then they must be so used to playing a game with mouse smoothing that it isn't noticeable for them anymore.

I'm amazed at how this is even still a debate as someone already linked an official response made on this subject. And to the person that said this is only affecting "a few" people...really? Take a look at the number of people in this very thread complaining about it for starters, then go and do a google search about it. 

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520
    At first i hated it too....but somehow i got use to it.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

Originally posted by ariboersma
    Originally posted by Opapanax
    Originally posted by rikilii
    Originally posted by afropuff420
    Can't say I really understand the issue you're experiencing.. Is it something that can't be controlled by a setting? Are you using the most updated video drivers?

The best way to describe it is that it's like steering a boat.  There's a small delay from when I move my mouse until the camera stops moving, the speed of the camera accelerates in a way that is totally unrelated to the speed at which I'm moving my mouse, and when I stop moving the mouse, there's a short delay before the camera stops turning.

Oblivion had the same issue.  WoW, TOR, etc. don't.  This has to have been deliberately designed into the game, which makes it really sad that they didn't give an option to disable it.

I played WoW for 7 yrs.. this game has a far better camera system and the mouse is exactly the same.. I think you are having very unique issues and perhaps it might be medical. I am NOT being a troll btw. I have a friend who gets nauscious underwater because of a medical issue.. perhaps yours is the same. Might want to get your eyes checked because that very well could be the culprit.

Wow.. just wow man..

what? you dont think medical problems affect how you eperience games? talk to epileptics that experienced WoW flashing earth elemental deaths in I WOtLK.. also refresh rates on monitors can give you migraines when mixed with some eye problems. Just because you  you are perfect doesnt mean the rest of us are. Or do you have a problem with constructive help from a different point of view?

The problem with that assessment is that majority of people (if not at all of them) that I've seen complaining about this issue have said they have no problems with any other 3D game, so why would GW2 be any different? I've played mmos for over 10 years and I know when "smoothing" is being used and when it's not.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by alacres
    Can't say I really understand the issue you're experiencing.. Is it something that can't be controlled by a setting? Are you using the most updated video drivers?

The best way to describe it is that it's like steering a boat.  There's a small delay from when I move my mouse until the camera stops moving, the speed of the camera accelerates in a way that is totally unrelated to the speed at which I'm moving my mouse, and when I stop moving the mouse, there's a short delay before the camera stops turning.

Oblivion had the same issue.  WoW, TOR, etc. don't.  This has to have been deliberately designed into the game, which makes it really sad that they didn't give an option to disable it.

I played WoW for 7 yrs.. this game has a far better camera system and the mouse is exactly the same.. I think you are having very unique issues and perhaps it might be medical. I am NOT being a troll btw. I have a friend who gets nauscious underwater because of a medical issue.. perhaps yours is the same. Might want to get your eyes checked because that very well could be the culprit.

Wow.. just wow man..

what? you dont think medical problems affect how you eperience games? talk to epileptics that experienced WoW flashing earth elemental deaths in I WOtLK.. also refresh rates on monitors can give you migraines when mixed with some eye problems. Just because you  you are perfect doesnt mean the rest of us are. Or do you have a problem with constructive help from a different point of view?

The problem with that assessment is that majority of people (if not at all of them) that I've seen complaining about this issue have said they have no problems with any other 3D game, so why would GW2 be any different? I've played mmos for over 10 years and I know when "smoothing" is being used and when it's not.

the person I was responding to said they had issues with other games and this is the first I have heard of anyone having this issue.. as many others have said in this thread also it was an option.. as I said.

Wow.. just wow man..

the person I was responding to said they had issues with other games and this is the first I have heard of anyone having this issue.. as many others have said in this thread also it was an option.. as I said.

I think you mis-read his post then. He said that "Oblivion" had the same issue, which it did (by design), and then went on to say how "WoW, ToR, etc don't", and he's right - most mmos don't use a "smooth camera", although it is sometimes an option. The problem is, GW2 doesn't have an option to disable the "smooth camera" function. Changing the rotation speed does nothing to solve this problem because we're not talking about rotation speed here. 

I'm starting to think that the problem with this "debate" that's going on in this thread is more of a semantics issue than anything. Changing the mouse speed will not fix this because the game was designed to use smooth camera like that. This is something solely on ArenaNet's end, so it's up to them to do something about it - such as adding a toggle for it like every other game with a "smooth mouse/camera" option. There is no amount of settings tweaking that will solve something that was deliberately put into the game.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

The issue exists. The only explanation I have for people not noticing is that they got used to it or did not play a lot of games without camera smoothing.

To be fair, I almost got used to it. Almost. Still, it would be a vast improvement if it could be disabled as that would increase precision and overall responsiveness of the character controls.

I'm starting to believe this myself. If someone isn't able to notice the difference between the camera movement in this game and say, WoW for instance, then they must be so used to playing a game with mouse smoothing that it isn't noticeable for them anymore.

I'm amazed at how this is even still a debate as someone already linked an official response made on this subject. And to the person that said this is only affecting "a few" people...really? Take a look at the number of people in this very thread complaining about it for starters, then go and do a google search about it. 

Or the other possibility is that 100% of the GW2 is not having this issue. A lot are and it should be fixed but you guys need to stop insisting that every one is having the same issue. It's just as obnoxious as the people telling you "The problem is you."

Originally posted by Xzen

Or the other possibility is that 100% of the GW2 is not having this issue. A lot are and it should be fixed but you guys need to stop insisting that every one is having the same issue. It's just as obnoxious as the people telling you "The problem is you."

Well, I've tried it on multiple different computers, had both my real life and online friends confirm that they notice it, and then of course we even have an official response on the matter. If it is a bug that is only affecting some of us then great, but it would be the first time I've ever seen a "smooth camera" bug in my entire history of online gaming.  

But you're right - there's no way for me to know how the camera works for those who don't notice it, so I can only speculate. I guess we'll know soon enough once ArenaNet makes another statement about it.

• TafaleTafale Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by Tafale
    Originally posted by Entropy14
    Not really sure its all the games fault, I personally dont have this problem at all, and never heard any complaints from any of my friends.

Hmm, I wonder if maybe it's a bug or driver compatibility issue, seeing as how it only seems to affect some of us.

I think it's more like when e.g. a bad PC port with a narrow FoV (I'm not just talking about the people getting dizy or headache because of it) but that it also looks wrong for some people (and it does since narrow FoV is for sitting in the livingroom and playing on a TV, something which is obviously completely wrong when playing on a monitor).

GW2 also have a narrow FoV, along with bad camera and movement so it's like a bad port from consoles.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/234839-camera-control-issues-a-documented-list/

The response is hilarious since it shows being oblivious about how to make a proper PC game since FoV, camera and movement are all intentionally made.

Yeah, you're right. I was just speculating when I made that post, but after playing around with all of the settings, trying the game on 3 seperate computers, and using both corded and wireless mice, the outcome is always the same. It's clear to me now that it's a design issue, and the official post in that link should be the only proof anyone needs. 

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/55701-play-guild-wars-2-as-its-meant-to-be-played-with-a-controller/

It's like GW2 is build from the ground up to be a console game. It also logically explain many design decisions and why there are only five active skills per weapon set, autoattack, lack of weapon skill customization and why weapon change is so important.

All this is bad PC game wise though. 

Well, I've tried it on multiple different computers, had both my real life and online friends confirm that they notice it, and then of course we even have an official response on the matter. If it is a bug that is only affecting some of us then great, but it would be the first time I've ever seen a "smooth camera" bug in my entire history of online gaming.  

But you're right - there's no way for me to know how the camera works for those who don't notice it, so I can only speculate. I guess we'll know soon enough once ArenaNet makes another statement about it.

If there was any acceleration or smoothing on my machine it would drive me up the wall too. However the camera moves as  I move the mouse. If I move the mouse from point A to point B the camera will always stop in the same place no matter how fast or slow I move it.

Not really sure its all the games fault, I personally dont have this problem at all, and never heard any complaints from any of my friends.

Hmm, I wonder if maybe it's a bug or driver compatibility issue, seeing as how it only seems to affect some of us.

I think it's more like when e.g. a bad PC port with a narrow FoV (I'm not just talking about the people getting dizy or headache because of it) but that it also looks wrong for some people (and it does since narrow FoV is for sitting in the livingroom and playing on a TV, something which is obviously completely wrong when playing on a monitor).

GW2 also have a narrow FoV, along with bad camera and movement so it's like a bad port from consoles.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/234839-camera-control-issues-a-documented-list/

The response is hilarious since it shows being oblivious about how to make a proper PC game since FoV, camera and movement are all intentionally made.

Yeah, you're right. I was just speculating when I made that post, but after playing around with all of the settings, trying the game on 3 seperate computers, and using both corded and wireless mice, the outcome is always the same. It's clear to me now that it's a design issue, and the official post in that link should be the only proof anyone needs. 

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/55701-play-guild-wars-2-as-its-meant-to-be-played-with-a-controller/

It's like GW2 is build from the ground up to be a console game. It also logically explain many design decisions and why there are only five active skills per weapon set, autoattack, lack of weapon skill customization and why weapon change is so important.

Ha, I actually just finished configuring my xpadder profile for the game yesterday so I've been using that. It works excellent with the way the camera feels. I also went a step farther though with my config in that I can use the gamepad for mouse functions and interface options as well. It takes a little getting used to, but I don't even need the mouse at all anymore.

If there was any acceleration or smoothing on my machine it would drive me up the wall too. However the camera moves as  I move the mouse. If I move the mouse from point A to point B the camera will always stop in the same place no matter how fast or slow I move it.

Well then, I don't know what to tell you. I can clearly see it while using multiple different systems. I also play Vanguard which has a "stiff" camera and, as expected, doesn't suffer from the same "floaty" effect when I move the camera around. If you don't see it, great; it's still a real issue for the rest of us however and it needs to be fixed.

Edit: Just wanted to include this official post on the matter:

"Thanks for the feedback! While there hasn’t been an “official” post on this subject until now, I want to assure you all that we are taking your thoughts and concerns into consideration. As one of the previous poster’s noted, we are currently spreading our resources among a large number of issues (account security, game security, etc.) and working towards a point where we can improve the camera functionality."

Here's the link - http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/234839-camera-control-issues-a-documented-list/

Seems like Anet themselves are aware that the camera functionality needs improvement.

Well then, I don't know what to tell you. I can clearly see it while using multiple different systems. I also play Vanguard which has a "stiff" camera and, as expected, doesn't suffer from the same "floaty" effect when I move the camera around. If you don't see it, great; it's still a real issue for the rest of us however and it needs to be fixed.

"Thanks for the feedback! While there hasn’t been an “official” post on this subject until now, I want to assure you all that we are taking your thoughts and concerns into consideration. As one of the previous poster’s noted, we are currently spreading our resources among a large number of issues (account security, game security, etc.) and working towards a point where we can improve the camera functionality."

Here's the link - http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/234839-camera-control-issues-a-documented-list/

Seems like Anet themselves are aware that the camera functionality needs improvement.

As I said a few pages back I read up on the issue and I agree it does seem to be a real issue that needs to be fixed. I have two machines in my home that are used to play GW2 and neither of them have this issue. It's not that I have not noticed it. It just does not exist on either of the machines I run the game on.

• TafaleTafale Member UncommonPosts: 37

Ha, I actually just finished configuring my xpadder profile for the game yesterday so I've been using that. It works excellent with the way the camera feels. I also went a step farther though with my config in that I can use the gamepad for mouse functions and interface options as well. It takes a little getting used to, but I don't even need the mouse at all anymore.

Thanks for proving my point. :)

If I'm to be bold then I predict a console version of GW2 and maybe even the possibility of cross-platform gameplay, inc PvP (where console players will not be completely destroyed like in FPS, 3rdPS or strategy games).

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

As I said a few pages back I read up on the issue and I agree it does seem to be a real issue that needs to be fixed. I have two machines in my home that are used to play GW2 and neither of them have this issue. It's not that I have not noticed it. It just does not exist on either of the machines I run the game on.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but it IS that you just don't notice it.  It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Originally posted by adam_nox

I'm sorry to tell you this, but it IS that you just don't notice it.  It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Sorry to tell you this but the problem does not exist on my machine. In your case the problem is likely that you do not know how to properly tweak your settings.

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

I have had no issues at all except for some strange lag in a couple of caves in Queensdale.

The lag was only for a short time and I have not had any since.

So far I have enjoyed very smooth game play aside from that one occasion.

I am still enjoying this game despite all the naysayers.

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182

I get totally nauseated after 10 minutes of playing it with this horrible mouse control

I thought Oblivion was the only game with this issue, but apparently it's a trend.

Yet another $60 down the drain.

How hard is it to make games with normal mouse control???

Fix your mouse. Or change it's settings. Game is fine. You are only one with the problem.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I get totally nauseated after 10 minutes of playing it with this horrible mouse control

I thought Oblivion was the only game with this issue, but apparently it's a trend.

Yet another $60 down the drain.

How hard is it to make games with normal mouse control???

Not sure what are you talking about. Guess some software conflict with your computer. I never liked original GW and did not had big hopes for successor, but I'm incredibly positively suprised by GW2.

But not only by environtment, story, vast choice of spells (that changes with weapon, very fun idea).... about everything. Mouse, keyboard ... all feels so natural and right as it should. Not even minimal lag, not even when in middle of zillion effect of all kind from 15-20 players pounding on same mob.

As said, I'm only sorry will have to stop playing it at 25. :-) But Swtor and wow are still my main games, Rift 3rd .... but now already thinking to split place with Gw2 after only aprox week or so of gameplay. And true, with gw2 no pressure about not playing if subbed as no sub.

But still I'm big advocate of sub system. I'm only afraid how many time company will be willing to invest in game, support, staff, servers or hardware in general ...when sales will be slowing down and no fresh money will come in. When players will buy all that is usefull even if not mondatory from cash shops, .... They got my additional 30€ for 3 more alt slots, but otherwise i guess will not invest real money in anything beyond this.

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

I'm not getting nauseated neither i think 60$ went down the drain (i'm having a blast with this game, most days, unless whole Orr goes bugged...)

But i second OP's problem. This stupid "smoothing" has to go. Gamers want precise control of the game, not some inertia-rigged stupid bullshit camera. Really. I know probably to some casuals it looks cool when camera moves smoothly, but let others check it off?

• scrittyscritty Member Posts: 89

I'm fine with it, but the smoothing and accelerating camera makes my wife feel sick. Consequently she's not played since the day after it was released (she is prone to travel/motion sickness and says this is just the same)

I can see what the camera is doing - and no amount of fiddling with the controls stops it 100% - but I feel fine.

Maybe it's just an issue for those who suffer from motion sickness?

Scritty

• SCZekeSCZeke Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I have this issue and it ruins the whole feel of the game for me, trying to move with a delay and then my toon carrying on for half a second after I want to stop. Feeling disconnected from my toon is not cool.
  • FIXTHECAMERAFIXTHECAMERA Member Posts: 55
    LOOK AT MY NAME
  • ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    Still trying to figure out what you people are even talking about. I keep seeing this topic pop up in the "recent forum activity" area, and I'll be damned if I can even understand WTF you're going on about. Since I definitely don't see it, we are faced with the only other possibility being that some people's clients do it, and others don't. I find it exceedingly hard to believe that there are two seperate versions of the client out there, so I am forced to pose the suggestion that it's probably something on YOUR end.
  • ManJunkManJunk Member Posts: 273

+1 to this problem

I am experiencing the same issue.  Lowered everything I could and still have the same issue.  I would also love to see the mouse default to the center of the screen after holding down the right mouse to look around.  Too many times I find myself wiggling my cursor to find it during a fight.  Considering the tab targetting is terrible, it happens far too often.

• ManJunkManJunk Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by ironhelix
    Still trying to figure out what you people are even talking about. I keep seeing this topic pop up in the "recent forum activity" area, and I'll be damned if I can even understand WTF you're going on about. Since I definitely don't see it, we are faced with the only other possibility being that some people's clients do it, and others don't. I find it exceedingly hard to believe that there are two seperate versions of the client out there, so I am forced to pose the suggestion that it's probably something on YOUR end.

Well good sir, no.