Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why GW2 will ultimately fail

Comments

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

GW2 will suffer the same fate as other forced grouping MMOs. Remember Vanguard? A heavy group forced game? Once the population either leaves or reaches endgame...a newbie can't do ANY quest (barely), because either the game is not populated enough or/and reaches high levels. And it isn't only Vanguard. Every forced grouping game suffers the same fate. Ryzom does as well, the only thing you can do is be powerleveled by higher skilled players...no fun at all

The dynamic events are really going to suffer when everyone leaves the starter/lower level zones. Newbies won't be able to do any event, because there won't be enough people. This may not hapen right away, but a year down the line? You bet it will. Dynamic events are really group focused, and with no one in the lower zones...it just won't work. Now, the level scaling...high levels may come down...but I did this and still roflstomped everything. I had more fun in the higher level zones, personally...a lot more challenging.

Can't have forced grouping work forever, especially when the population drops or/and moves on. This is why GW2 will ultimately fail.

I think your wrong here.

You need 2 people to do most group quests out there, there are some champion mobs that are to hard and require more but they are far from common.

You will have so much to do as a new player even if you ignore all champion mobs ingame that you wont manage to complete it all on one character.

Since you have so much to do many will create alts. I just finishd my 80 character and now im playing a ranger and i stil have 2 starter zones i havent touchd yet and quite a few de i never saw that i have done on my alt. (Though i do everything in this game. Pve/spvp/WvW pvp/crafting.)

This complaint is only valid for a very very smal minority that has to do everything, even then its possible if your in a guild so those that refuse to join one to complete what they truly want to complete is even a bigger minority.

If your in a guild it wont be hard to get high levels to help you out as they will get rewarded for theyr effort, they can be where you need em to be in a very short time thanks to teleports.

Wow in its prime never had shortage of people rolling alts as that game offered diversity for alts the same way gw2 does. But even if gw2 fail to manage this feat doeing the above wont be a problem for those few people that needs to complete everything.

We will see what happens in the future.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by xpiher

Sigh, SCALING! You can solo many of those DEs when the zone isn't populated. 

Incorrect. Tried to test this theory at 4 am in morning by soloing an event. No one was around in lvl 50 zone and got my ass handed to me. Got 8 silver repair bill in end.
  • dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by halflife25

Incorrect. Tried to test this theory at 4 am in morning by soloing an event. No one was around in lvl 50 zone and got my ass handed to me. Got 8 silver repair bill in end.

Incorrect. Tried to test this theory in beta by soloing some events. No one was around in lvl 30 zone and I got my ass handed to me some times but most of the times I kick ass. Got small repair bill but rewards were much greater.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by andypandyr
    You say this i your previous post

" Future of MMOs goes to GW2 and a high quality sandbox MMO "

And this in your next post

" GW2 will ultimately fail "

lmao cant wait to see you next post/thread ! image

Probably one of those "forum experiments" ...

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    TheScavenger makes a post titled "This MMO (GW2) kills all other themepark MMOs" and then makes a post titled "Why GW2 will ultimately fail"...  I'm confused..

I'm confused too now. Just commented the other thread because that was an excellent example of blind and arrogant fanboism. But now this... Weird.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

Oh my god, people are leaving Guild Wars 2? Damn, THEN I HAVE TO LEAVE TOO!!!!!

I really dont care if 50% or more of the player base should decide to leave or stay.

Im not a Lemming. I enjoy my game cus its great. Not because 11 mio other lemmings are playing it.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by dariuszp

Incorrect. Tried to test this theory in beta by soloing some events. No one was around in lvl 30 zone and I got my ass handed to me some times but most of the times I kick ass. Got small repair bill but rewards were much greater.

The guy i quoted tried to make it sound as if many events can be soloed when no one is around. Which is incorrect. So if anything you are just saying what i said. So thanks for the support.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

The dynamic events are really going to suffer when everyone leaves the starter/lower level zones. Newbies won't be able to do any event, because there won't be enough people. This may not hapen right away, but a year down the line? You bet it will. Dynamic events are really group focused, and with no one in the lower zones...it just won't work. Now, the level scaling...high levels may come down...but I did this and still roflstomped everything. I had more fun in the higher level zones, personally...a lot more challenging.

Can't have forced grouping work forever, especially when the population drops or/and moves on. This is why GW2 will ultimately fail.

What really stops the OP lines of thinking from having merits is the feature "questing."

Questing allows players on any server to visit another server to do PvE there. This feature means that even really few plays the game old zones years down the road, those few will be able to find each other and play together and do the content that require grouping.

End of topic.

(and if not feeling like stopping here, think about what ArenaNet could and will to ensure an enjoyable gameexperience to help promote the players to find each other when they are not stucked on 1 server, but actual can visit each other.)

Nothing more to say about this. 

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by dariuszp

The guy i quoted tried to make it sound as if many events can be soloed when no one is around. Which is incorrect. So if anything you are just saying what i said. So thanks for the support.

Why should all DEs be soloable? Why can't some content be group orrintated? My point was that scaling makes it easy for people to complete zones and leveling, not that everything in the game sacles down to the solo level. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I wouldn't expect free server hopping to last for ever, for two reasons:

1. The bigger one is the ease that people can abandon a server that is not faring as well in WvW in favor of another. Now that the WvW is a week in duration, the effort required to retain a good rank is more prominent. People generally won't put the effort, when they can simply server transfer to the "winning side".
    2. Free server hopping currently allows for balancing the servers. Those who want to reside in high population servers can do so, while others can stay in less populated ones. Or people can migrate due to high WvW queue times or any other reason. Eventually Anet will be satisfied with the stability of their servers and will require gems as a token of transfer.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Killsmallchi
    Soooo, this is another one of them people that have not played the game and do not know what they are talking about? The events scale with the size participating.....that means from 10 to 100 people the event gets harder to accomidate a challenge for all 100 people... the same goes for 10 to 1 the event gets easier so 1 person can do it. Please do your research before you assum you know something.

This is funny as its a fan stating the same inaccurate information but in revwerse of the OP.

The games not a fail but DE's do not scale down to one. they do scale down but do require a group.

Pot calling the kettle black, or as is generally the case a mis or uninformed player telling others to do

research that the player themself has no clue about

Originally posted by Amjoco

All you folks that disagree always say the DEs are no different than a quest hub. So why is this part any different? The DE's are scalable, so if you are alone they will adjust to just you. It is no different than questing in Rift by yourself. And like WoW or Rift if you can't do a quest you will ask for help, it's pretty simple. 

No, no they won't all scale down to one player. Please play the game and get your facts right.

Some DE's are soloable, while others do not scale down to one, just funny seeing all the uninformed GW2 fans stating incorrect information as fact. Prhaps if they actually played the game they are defending more then post here they would know? 

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    A well geared (Rare and up) and well played lvl 80 can solo any group events that don't include gold or purple level bosses. A few gold bosses can be soloed but takes for ever. Purple can't really be soloed.
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    I guess the threads title is somewhat misleading. As well as GW2 sold so far, it can't fail anymore. It already succeeded. You could rename this though in something such as "why I think that GW2 won't last as long as you might think".

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Having leveled up right at the beginning and being ahead with pretty much a very minimal amount of people at the same level, i can safely say that it wont die down because of that. You dont even need to do world events to level, yeah it may be abit faster, but heart quests/ map completion/ crafting is easily soloable and will make you level. Having said this, i am not one of those people who are overly hyped about the game, its a decent and fun game yes, but not as "magnificent or unique" as everyone claims it is. Doesnt have one thing we havent seen before in a game, however that doesnt matter much, it is still enjoyable and worth the play.
  • eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by GoldenArrow
    Funny though since many mmorpg's that force grouping have been a massive hit. To mention one FFXI.

No such games after World of Warcraft was launched,those times are gone and don't expect to come back in a successful AAA mmo. I agree with OP to a certain degree, the game will not fail but will be less and less interesting to new players after a time,not all events scale and running around map trying to find those who do , will not be lot of fun.This is why a mixed mode with both quests and DE would have been much better,heart quests are a very poor quest experience.

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

GW2 will suffer the same fate as other forced grouping MMOs. Remember Vanguard? A heavy group forced game? Once the population either leaves or reaches endgame...a newbie can't do ANY quest (barely), because either the game is not populated enough or/and reaches high levels. And it isn't only Vanguard. Every forced grouping game suffers the same fate. Ryzom does as well, the only thing you can do is be powerleveled by higher skilled players...no fun at all

Clearly you havent played Vanguard since its F2P hybrid switch over in August.... I left it a few years ago for the reasons you mentioned but newbie zones are plum fulll of new players now. it may become my sub based game once i get tired of GW2(not going to happened for a while because i dont rush to end game like a damned fool in 3 days and bitch about lack of end game a week later)

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143
    Originally posted by Xasapis

I wouldn't expect free server hopping to last for ever, for two reasons:

1. The bigger one is the ease that people can abandon a server that is not faring as well in WvW in favor of another. Now that the WvW is a week in duration, the effort required to retain a good rank is more prominent. People generally won't put the effort, when they can simply server transfer to the "winning side".
    2. Free server hopping currently allows for balancing the servers. Those who want to reside in high population servers can do so, while others can stay in less populated ones. Or people can migrate due to high WvW queue times or any other reason. Eventually Anet will be satisfied with the stability of their servers and will require gems as a token of transfer.

We already know that they will be substituted for a system where you pay for transfer to another server wich affeckt your WvW option, and a system where you can quest other servers for PvE.

And this is supposed to happend as soon as the initial madness of jumping winning/æoosing servers are over!

Questing is btw as i said what makes OP's statements nothing to worry about.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Idk about pve. It may take longer to do DEs and hearts, but WvW will suffer when population drops. I think we will be seeing some of that soon. 1 week matches will not be a lot of peoples cup of tea. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • teotiusteotius Member UncommonPosts: 100
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/365121/page/1 What are the similiarities with this threads OP and the one i linked? 10 points for correct answer.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by teotius
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/365121/page/1 What are the similiarities with this threads OP and the one i linked? 10 points for correct answer.

both are extreme?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Idk about pve. It may take longer to do DEs and hearts, but WvW will suffer when population drops. I think we will be seeing some of that soon. 1 week matches will not be a lot of peoples cup of tea. 

If by suffering you mean I won't have to wait an hour or two to get into WvW then I have to admit I'm almost looking forwards to that. Still seeing huge WvW queues, still entering a lot of overflow servers, especially lower level zones and L.A.

Still having fun too. image

Oderint, dum metuant.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by teotius

I posted something like this yesterday and nobody notice for some reason!

>:(

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

The majority of the DEs don't require any group at all. I've soloed several of them.

There are a few boss DEs that a player would likely need help on, but that is a tiny fraction of the game.

Overall GW2 is insanely solo friendly. And considering a character can level off of exploring, hearts, crafting, gathering, they will have zero problems getting to max level without doing the few DEs that need a few people to take down.

Not to mention the fact that players can go back to lowbie zones to finish up zones they never got to while still progressing. So it is likely there'd still be a few people running around the zone that could help.

There is plenty I find wrong with GW2, but there is no problem (and never will be) progressing as a solo player.