Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Every class to level 20...

RasereiRaserei webster, MAPosts: 1,011Member

I got every class to level 20... Deleted 3 of them just to try the others and sadly I really can't get into any of them. The game system is sweet, I love how it's sort of like a sandbox and you can do whatever you want, but there are a few things that are major gamebreakers for me.

1.) Classes.... Like I said, I can't get into any of them... 5 skills and 5 utilities are not that fun to me.

2.) Loot.... Very bland loot.... I kind of choose a stat and go with it... Or mix and match... I searched for level 80 gear, loot has more stats but still more of the same. The loot is very boring and not meaningful.

3.) Level scaling.... You decrease in level in areas... It makes me take more damage and if I want to AoE 5 monsters in a lower area, I can't because it decreases my level. And when you need a TON of crafting material to level, it's frustrating.

4.) WvW wasn't interesting at all... You get spammed by 15 players and there is nothing you can do. And when there is an actual objective, we literally auto-attack a door for 15 minutes+...

5.) Battlegrounds, never liked WoW BG's and this is the same thing.

Overall, GW2 has a great system in place, the auction house from your inventory was a huge plus for me.... But there are too many turn offs for me to actually stay with it. The plus side is that it's free and I can't come back when it's updated a bit. Maybe it will change....

Back to being gameless =-(    (Pre-ordered borderlands 2, but thats not an MMO.... SEEKING A GOOD MMORPG!)

Comments

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Milwaukee, WIPosts: 472Member Uncommon
    I agree.
  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,258Member Uncommon
    Good game with some issues. To bad all issues are drowned out.
  • StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Stanksville, OHPosts: 269Member Common
    Originally posted by Raserei

Back to being gameless =-(

They aren't making games like they used to, man. They don't make deep virtual worlds that you live in, they make simple theme parks that you visit. :-(

• thekid1thekid1 GroningenPosts: 789Member

I got every class to level 20... Deleted 3 of them just to try the others and sadly I really can't get into any of them. The game system is sweet, I love how it's sort of like a sandbox and you can do whatever you want, but there are a few things that are major gamebreakers for me.

1.) Classes.... Like I said, I can't get into any of them... 5 skills and 5 utilities are not that fun to me.

5 skills X amount of weapons. Plus you get more utility skills later on. I still think we need more weapon skills though, you're stuck after level 10 or so with the same weapon skills for ever.

2.) Loot.... Very bland loot.... I kind of choose a stat and go with it... Or mix and match... I searched for level 80 gear, loot has more stats but still more of the same. The loot is very boring and not meaningful.

Yeah, I'm not impressed with the loot either. Oh look, this has some higher numbers then my other weapon let's use this. A lot of the time I get loot below my level anyway, so it's vendor junk.

3.) Level scaling.... You decrease in level in areas... It makes me take more damage and if I want to AoE 5 monsters in a lower area, I can't because it decreases my level. And when you need a TON of crafting material to level, it's frustrating.

I fricking love the level scaling. I wish it was even more difficult in low level areas. I do not craft and I do not understand why anyone is interested in leveling. In fact, I wish I could make leveling go slower.

4.) WvW wasn't interesting at all... You get spammed by 15 players and there is nothing you can do. And when there is an actual objective, we literally auto-attack a door for 15 minutes+...

I tried it, didn't understand any of it. Needs a tutorial.

I will probably not play this.

Overall, GW2 has a great system in place, the auction house from your inventory was a huge plus for me.... But there are too many turn offs for me to actually stay with it. The plus side is that it's free and I can't come back when it's updated a bit. Maybe it will change....

Back to being gameless =-(    (Pre-ordered borderlands 2, but thats not an MMO.... SEEKING A GOOD MMORPG!)

I fricking love this game. Exploring maps, finding events, even the personal story get's good once you join an order (level 31 or so) Crafting sucks and I do not know about the PVP.

I don't know if this is a "real" mmorpg which will let me play for months, probably not. But since it is just as expensive as a single player game I can judge it like one. I already played this more then Fallout: New Vegas, my favorite single player game.

• darker70darker70 stokePosts: 813Member
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko

They aren't making games like they used to, man. They don't make deep virtual worlds that you live in, they make simple theme parks that you visit. :-(

Hmm, not sure i entirely agree here in fact there is more virtual old school games in the works than the last 10 years and these indies now have free range to create the worlds gamers and indeed many devs crave for.

• dariuszpdariuszp PrzeworskPosts: 182Member

Ad 1. 5 weapon skills from many (multiple weapons, multiple configurations and they change with class) + multiple skills but only 5 of them at the same time. Plenty of possibilities. I can't believe you can't find something for yourself. 

Ad 2: Loot is quite normal. Junk + items + other stuff. Nothing special, just like in any MMO + ton of stuf you can craft. You can transmutate items, upgrade them + you can dye everything. Nothing to complain here I think. What kind of loot you expected ?

Ad 3: You don't need ton of crafting materials. I made many insignias that are not hard to do. Then I used mats I gathered + I bought some. I discovered item give you 2-3 levels of crafting. I level up armorsmith and weaponsmith to lvl 75 in just few hours. And whole thing took me around 30 minutes. For few hours I level up to 20 lvl and gather materials in that time. And I sold materials that I didn't need so I could buy more material that I need. Simple.

Ad 4: WvsWvsW is nice IF PEOPLE KNOW WHAT TO DO. Autoatack door for 15 min ? You have too much time or what ? Bring siege weapons !! :)

Game is probably not for you. Don't know if you are looking for miracle or something. GW2 is just solid MMO like many others. They redesigned many stuff in MMO but they didn't create any miracles. And they didn't say they will. People that played beta or track ANet info about game knew what we can expect.

After loving few aspect of this game (some that you mentioned you don't like) I could not go back to yet another wow clones out there.

• tkoreapertkoreaper Castroville, TXPosts: 401Member

Each class is different... Not just gameplay wise, but the way their combat system/skill system works. While you may only get 5 sills/utities at a time, there are many setups to choose from and each weapon gives you a whole different set of abilities. 

Sadly level 20 isn't enough to get a good feel for any class as things greatly open up when you unlock your greater and grandmaster traits.

I'm sorry there aren't 30 different stats to choose from on gear... I would however like to know what you classify as "meaningful" and not "boring" as quite a lot of the gear looks better than most games. You forget that this game has no desifnated role system (AKA the Trinity) so you're not going to see a large assortment of stats.

I would have to completely disagree. Since you've only reached level 20 it's understandable that you may feel this way, but it's not true. On my 80 Engineer I can go to lower level areas and 1-2 shot everything outside of veterans and champions. Your level may scale downward, but that doesn't mean all the gear you've accumulated is pointless... It makes a huge difference and believe it or not you're actually taking less damage than you were at that level.

I feel you don't understand the concept of WvW... It's not just an all out deathmatch. I don't understand why having to break down a door to get inside of an enemy keep is frustrating to you. It's not supposed to be easy, but it can get easier when people help out by using seige weapons. Knowing when to push forward and when to fall back is extremely important in WvW or you'll be met with your situation every time.

A little more information would go a long way. Why don't you like them? I understand that there is only one type of game right now, but more is coming soon.

I encourage you to get a character beyond level 20 and really just try to have fun in the game. The game, unlike all others, isn't about reaching level 80 right way. Take your time and enjoy doing what's enjoyable... the levels will come, I promise.

Just a couple of things I'd like to point out...

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Manchester, NHPosts: 2,926Member Uncommon

I felt this way about LOTRO classes, although the hunter was tolerable.

I really like my GW2 warrior, but they could really use more choices of weapon based skills to swap in and out.

• kluukluu san jose, CAPosts: 46Member

this is my guess..

people/players have grown up while the mmorpg genre has been stuck in the past

i hope that makes sense...

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Gladstone, MOPosts: 330Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Good game with some issues. To bad all issues are drowned out.

Drowned out by who.  We get plenty of posts daily to point out the games defiencies.  I guess what most people don't get is that some don't find those defiencies game breaking. 

Why do I have to agree with all of them or give the poster some indication that he is right.  He got on posted his feelings, I can post whether or not I agree with them.  What exactly are you people looking for?

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Phoenix, AZPosts: 1,146Member Uncommon

I agree with most thins said here both good and bad.  But for myself I am loving the game and can't see myself not playing a lot of it for quite a few more months, minimum.

Now my main worry is without any kind of "realm rank" or something to work for in open world WvW, a bit worried it may die down out there eventually.

I've always had the idea of giving rewards in PvP in reverse, I am sure many people won't agree.  But what if you were so good at PvP that you got special armor/weapons that had worse stats or lesser appearances, to see just how minimal you could go and still win.  The prestige of being the one in a tattered robe with a wooden sword who wins because he/she is the true grandmaster of fighting and not merely the grandmaster of min/maxing and stacking up stats or having the best gear and pretending they are great.  Prove you are great in a real tangible way :)

Damn side rant, sorry, hah.

• bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,258Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by tkoreaper

I'm sorry there aren't 30 different stats to choose from on gear... I would however like to know what you classify as "meaningful" and not "boring" as quite a lot of the gear looks better than most games. You forget that this game has no desifnated role system (AKA the Trinity) so you're not going to see a large assortment of stats.

what are these "30 different  stats to choose from?"

• revy66revy66 NY, NYPosts: 464Member
    Its funny that you dont like WvW which is mostly zergs but you also dont like sPvP either which is much more competitive and tactical. I guess you can't be helped, good luck in whatever game you decide to play.

Not sure what the 30 number is but the stats do matter.  If you are running a spec that proc's things on crit due to the way you traited, then it makes since to go with crit and precision.  In dungeons, my engineer is much more effective and helpful in  support if I stat for healing.  I can't help but feel that some people are judging the game before they understand how things work or because they work differently then what they are used to.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk LiverpoolPosts: 976Member Uncommon

About stats on items. At L20 you're still only seeing 1 stat on any item, but that changes as you go up in level. You'll start to come across items with 2 stats then later again 3 stats per item. Add to this the upgrade slots and it allows for plenty of customisation of you armour and weapons as far as stats go.

As for the OP I can't really agree with any of it. If it's not the game for you then that's fine. Hope you find something that suits you soon.

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

About stats on items. At L20 you're still only seeing 1 stat on any item, but that changes as you go up in level. You'll start to come across items with 2 stats then later again 3 stats per item. Add to this the upgrade slots and it allows for plenty of customisation of you armour and weapons as far as stats go.

As for the OP I can't really agree with any of it. If it's not the game for you then that's fine. Hope you find something that suits you soon.

Excellent point.  You don't get 2 stats until level 30 and the 3 stats come later.    Stats matter much more than people think.  They have a series affect on how many times you wipe in a explorable mode dungeon.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Stanksville, OHPosts: 269Member Common
    Originally posted by darker70

Hmm, not sure i entirely agree here in fact there is more virtual old school games in the works than the last 10 years and these indies now have free range to create the worlds gamers and indeed many devs crave for.

There is some hope but the road to a healthy birth for them is so rough that pessimism rules the day.

• xm522xm522 Miami, FLPosts: 114Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

I agree with most thins said here both good and bad.  But for myself I am loving the game and can't see myself not playing a lot of it for quite a few more months, minimum.

Now my main worry is without any kind of "realm rank" or something to work for in open world WvW, a bit worried it may die down out there eventually.

I've always had the idea of giving rewards in PvP in reverse, I am sure many people won't agree.  But what if you were so good at PvP that you got special armor/weapons that had worse stats or lesser appearances, to see just how minimal you could go and still win.  The prestige of being the one in a tattered robe with a wooden sword who wins because he/she is the true grandmaster of fighting and not merely the grandmaster of min/maxing and stacking up stats or having the best gear and pretending they are great.  Prove you are great in a real tangible way :)

Damn side rant, sorry, hah.

lol used to do that in duels in WoW. pretty good beating down two same level oponents while only using your weapons as a warrior

• tkoreapertkoreaper Castroville, TXPosts: 401Member

I said there "aren't" 30 stats to choose from. I was referring to WoW and all those stats that epople have to juggle around... it's enough to give people a headache.

• kompleksakikompleksaki ThessalonikiPosts: 81Member

I agree with some of your points,but i'd like to add some of my own also. Here we go:

1.) I have to say that while every class looks very interesting,i only liked playing ranger and thief. Got my ranger to lvl 80 and my thief to lvl 22.Although the shortbow ranger is terribly boring at pve.

2.) Loot.Never cared for it and just used every +condition item i was getting + whatever else stats it had.

3.) I liked downscaling a lot, cause i played with some friends that where lower level than me and it was more fun for all of us this way, instead of just oneshotting lower level  mobs.

4.) Agreed that WvWvW isn't that interesting. It was a bit of fun in the beggining, but in the end you just become a part of the zerg autoattacking or ramming enemy doors for hours. Plus you have no chance against the higher populated servers that have a lot of people online at nights.

5.) The only reason i would keep playing this game atm was the stractured pvp. I had a lot of fun playing in tournaments with some friends. Here comes the main reason that got me to quit GW 2 for the moment : 

6.) TARGETTING. It sucks so bad for an "esport game", you just keep losing your target every 2-3 seconds just because you are trying to move. And tab targeting felt almost as bad as SW:TOR to me. The only way you can keep up with your target is to use the targeting thingy with Ctrl+t and "t" to click him. Can't tell how many times you have to switch your target in competitive tournament spvp, it just becomes unplayable and frustrating.

7.) I want to add that i never cared for this game's pve, although i completed almost 70% of the map and did all dungeons on story mode.And i have to say that the dungeons felt kinda hard without a well coordinated group and the open world events on the other hand, were a walk in the park.

• DonVadimDonVadim OpolePosts: 45Member

I said there "aren't" 30 stats to choose from. I was referring to WoW and all those stats that epople have to juggle around... it's enough to give people a headache.

??? wow has got so many stats that it gives people a headache ? I don't know what are you smoking, wow right now has got one of the dumbest stat systems out there. There were many stats back in wotlk. Now on cata (or rather pandaland) it isn't even possible to customize your character. Every piece of gear is assigned to certain role, for example paladin healer stuff, cloth dps stuff, leather dps stuff. You don't even have to check for different stats because there are no different stats. If you are rogue you just look for leather with agi, choose one with bigger numbers and here we go.

The best stat system was back in diablo 2. It was actually complex (however not complicated), you had many stats to choose from and that allowed you to customize your character really well. Saying that wow stat system is complicated is just embarassing.

• wowcloneswowclones Los Angeles, CAPosts: 127Member

Every class to level 20. I am sure you got more hours out of it than your average 50 dollar console game. Not like you have to pay for subscription. Sounds like you are bored with it after all the class testing. Most game you will get bored with after about 40 hours of play anyway. I have had GW2 since headstart, and I'm only level 10, don't play games that much. But I can imagine if I took every class to level 20 I'd be pretty bored with it as well. Good review though and I do agree with mostly everything you said.

• FangrimFangrim PrestonPosts: 589Member

Try Vanguard.I resubbed 1 week before F2P and am still only level 41 Ranger,27 Artificer,9 diplomat.I t has depth to it and a vast world to explore.No instancing.It really feels epic and dangerous :)

Gnome Wankers two.After the events of 18/07/2015 i fucking hate anyone that has anything to do with skyforge

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Columbia, SCPosts: 269Member

This is your personal opinion. I, for one, LOVE the Mesmer. Most entertaining class in the game and the class with the highest skill cap, if you ask me.

What most people don't notice is that most loot is pretty much junk compared to what you get from dungeons or from crafting or the mystic forge - cultural armor - other avenues of gaining gear. So I don't fret over drops as most of it just gets vendored. Though sometimes with cloth and leather I will salvage it.

This is one of GW2's best features, imo. It keeps content relevant for you no matter what level you are, and if you need to farm mats then just go farm them. This system stops people from plowing to 80 and just 1 shotting whole hordes of mobs to collect the loot. Although in most traditional systems you probably wouldn't even get loot from the lvl 15 mobs at lvl 80. So I would just be happy to still get their loot and mats. You don't take 'more' damage you just take damage appropriate for the level range. Instead of it being 799 damage its 79 damage.

This is a matter of perspective. If you just hopped in solo and had no clue what was going on, then yes it probably felt like this. But if you communicated with others, or got into a ad-hoc group or roamed with friends then the experience of WvW can be far more rewarding. Honestly, Even if you're being focused by a bunch of people spamming AOE's on your head...you can still survive for quite some time with your self heal and what ever mobility spells your class has. Especially if you're in a big crowd. you simply have to slip into the crowd. If you're still dying a lot even after getting yourself out of danger and healing up, then you're either doing something wrong(yeah i said it), or are missing something. Also do you dodge? For some reason I've met several people playing that don't dodge, but complain about dieing a lot. This is in no way meant to insult you, I'm just saying that you could be missing something critical. What class did you play?

What battlegrounds? I didn't see any battlegrounds...I saw the sPvP arena, but no battlegrounds.

So far you've listed 5 downs to the game as opposed to its inumerable ups. GW2 is a very good title and , my opinion, is the best MMORPG in the past 10 years since VANILLA WoW. I'd like you to set GW2 next to MMO's that have released recently and make a comparison for yourself. See which one feels like it's worth your time and $60. Not to mention $15 extra a month for subs with most of the others (Tera, SW:TOR - for the time being-, Rift). Look at which is the most complete at launch, which has the most content at launch, and which has teh best value and make a educated decision. All of those points are completely subjective and are your own opinion, but it will help put things into perspective.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business Correspondent Orchard Park, NYPosts: 1,114Member Uncommon

Personally I'm loving Guild Wars 2, but I agree with almost all of the points you made (only one I disagree with is the 5-skill bit, as I understand where they're coming from making skills less in quantity but more useful and diverse)

Luckily, you can always engage in MMO tourism (assuming you don't have a bandwidth cap or slow connection). With all the free to play games on the market, I suggest just setting up some accounts and start downloading.

Check out my monthly column on MMORPG.com.