Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GW2 like an online version of Skyrim?

casshyrcasshyr Member Posts: 4
Also, do you need to be part of a guild to enjoy dungeons? If I'm more of a game-loner type where I don't really want to be part of any guild, but just want to explore, can I still do those dungeons?

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    No, its much more then skyrim and wow packed together.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Oh , that I wish it were!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Yeah, alright...image

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

Guild Wars 2 is nothing like Skyrim whatsoever. Skyrim is an awesome open world sandbox RPG, and Guild Wars 2 is a themepark MMO with a lot of pvp and a lot of world events that you zerg for XP and items. GW2 is basically Rift and Warhammer Online combined together with much better graphics and a much more polished game engine.

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    Can't tell if serious...
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Guild Wars 2 is nothing close to an "Online Skyrim," for better or for worse.  It's not open world, for one, and it's not first person.  There isn't a whole lot of exploration either, although quite a few fanbois here will probably pop in and try and convince you otherwise.  There are certainly places to run around to, but the maps just aren't that big.

Also, it can get distracting sometimes, when you do try and explore, because you cant run 20 feet without having some event pop up on your screen telling you to go somewhere and help out.  You can ignore it, but it's so frequent that it gets distracting, at least for me.

As for guilds, I'd say that there is very little in this game that requires a guild.  Much less so than most MMO's.  There are no end game raids, which are the main reasons for mmo guilds.  If you want to get into competetive PvP, having a guild of like-minded players would probably be good, just for the sake of getting used to working as a team with them.

In general, I'd say that this game is very "loner" friendly in some ways, in that there are so many people running around with you that you don't have to formally start groups up.  You just kill whatever, with everyone else.  At the same time, due to the smaller zone sizes and rather dense player population, it's hard to actually find places where you can truly get "lost" in exploration because there will be dozens of people around you do the same thing.

You make me like charity

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Not even close. Shirly, you can't be serious..
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i wouldnt call GW2 something similar to an online vesion of skyrim

but thats what a MSNBC correspondent compared GW2 to

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/48849453#48849453

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

NO! Skyrim is much more free-flow than GW 2 which is a very polished ThemePark with some innovative features.

And from what I have seen there are tons of PUGs (pick up groups) which you can join to do dungeons. But keep in mind, dungeons are pretty hard in this game.

• MageickMageick Member UncommonPosts: 102

I wouldn't say GW2 is like Skyrim. Skyrim gives you much more freedom in how you play your character, GW2 is confined to the class system, while the trinity ( healer, tank, and dps) is gone, there are still the warrior / mage classes where you'll be mainly using those skills, but GW2 skill system still offers a wide amount of freedom just not to the extent of Skyrim.

As for being a loner I would say most of the game can be done all solo.That being said, you never are really alone. While you are not forced to group with people most of the time people will be around you, and you'll be heping each other automatically. GW2 doesn't require to join a guild and can be very enjoyable as a solo experience but the gam really shines when you have a good group of people to go exloring and adventuring with. Like Skyrim there is random "caves" and "dungeons" that you an explore solo but these aren't really the dungeons of the game. Those start at level 30 (I think might be 40 I forget) and require a group and a decent amount of stratedgy and teamwork.

While I gave GW2 a try and really no longer log in, it is an amazing game that does alot right and I woud reccommend giving it a shot.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

NO. NO. NO. NO.

Not at all. Nothing like it. Not even close.

GW2 is a good casual game. Personally I wouldnt even call it a full fledged MMORPG- But its good. And its cheap.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i thought for a while that GW2 was just like an online version of skyrim, but then i took an arrow in the knee.

WENT THERE

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166
    No. The only MMOs that have come close to feeling like an Elderscrolls game, in terms of open, varied world, tons of content hidden and not hidden, and freedom to move around... is Darkfall and Vanguard. Especially Vanguard.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by casshyr
    Also, do you need to be part of a guild to enjoy dungeons? If I'm more of a game-loner type where I don't really want to be part of any guild, but just want to explore, can I still do those dungeons?

For the most part you can play on your one, with your objectives.

Of course you will have other people and NPCs running around you and working with for the same objectives.

Dungeons require 5 people - you might pug them, but the communication between guild members will give you an advantage.

There are some open world dungeons though, that you can just go in,

GW2 is a Themepark (I'm sorry "mmorpgers" but themepark isn't a bad word, quite the opposite) full of activities with fairly low restriction on how you can enjoy them and no queues - you get the fun without the hassle.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Denambren

Guild Wars 2 is nothing like Skyrim whatsoever. Skyrim is an awesome open world sandbox RPG, and Guild Wars 2 is a themepark MMO with a lot of pvp and a lot of world events that you zerg for XP and items. GW2 is basically Rift and Warhammer Online combined together with much better graphics and a much more polished game engine.

Gotta stick my nose in here because no way is the GW2 engine better or more polished than the Rift engine.. The design of the world might be more pleasing to most people but when it comes down to performance and the technical graphics capabilities then Rift wins outright, even when it first launched. Higher polygon count on models in Rift, higher textures resolution, less jagged edges and less flat textured surfaces as well.

I think GW2 looks great btw.. was just saying. I can imagine GW2 looks better than Rift when both are set to low/medium settings because the world design is better.. but with them ramped up as high as they can go? Easy win for Rift.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Guild Wars 2 is nothing close to an "Online Skyrim," for better or for worse.  It's not open world, for one, and it's not first person.  There isn't a whole lot of exploration either, although quite a few fanbois here will probably pop in and try and convince you otherwise.  There are certainly places to run around to, but the maps just aren't that big.

really? I am level 46 and I have explored around 25% of the entire world according to its exploring meter. So I think anyone can say without a doubt, the world is not small. However with waypoints, it can make it seem smaller due to how easy it is to move around the world.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    GW2 is unlike any game ever created. It's a genre changer. Quest hubs are dead! Finally!!
    Originally posted by DoomsDay01
    Originally posted by asmkm22

really? I am level 46 and I have explored around 25% of the entire world according to its exploring meter. So I think anyone can say without a doubt, the world is not small. However with waypoints, it can make it seem smaller due to how easy it is to move around the world.

Except when they start costing obscenes amount of silver and so people just run. :)

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Vannor

Gotta stick my nose in here because no way is the GW2 engine better or more polished than the Rift engine.. The design of the world might be more pleasing to most people but when it comes down to performance and the technical graphics capabilities then Rift wins outright, even when it first launched. Higher polygon count on models in Rift, higher textures resolution, less jagged edges and less flat textured surfaces as well.

I think GW2 looks great btw.. was just saying. I can imagine GW2 looks better than Rift when both are set to low/medium settings because the world design is better.. but with them ramped up as high as they can go? Easy win for Rift.

GW2 physics engine is more advanced though that is why performance tanks.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Why bother with this post on this very site there is a in depth review, comparing this to Skyrim is bonkers they are like chalk and cheese,do some research at least it might then save you wasteing time with a post like this.
    p>
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Exactly how is Skyrim so much of a sanbox?

I mean Minecraft is a real sandbox where you build everything yourself and people have always said the same thing of the elder scrolls game but there is not really much player created content in the game.

Sure, you can ignore the story and just explore and do anything the game allows you instead but you can frankly do most of that in GW2 as well.

No, the word "Sandbox" have been used far too much, Skyrin is if anything a hybrid. True sandboxes let you create your own content.

Edit: I am not saying the games are alike though, they arent.

• MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Haha, this made me laugh....  image

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yes you can play it like skyrim just wander about and go where it looks interesting while doing your crafting.

You don't HAVE to do the personal story
    You don't HAVE to do the hearts
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gw2 has a better engine than rift
    Handles crowds better
    Looks better on high end systems
    Has better physics

rift uses the gamebryo engine BTW, as used in oblivion, warhammer and fallout 3
  • SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by Loke666

Exactly how is Skyrim so much of a sanbox?

I mean Minecraft is a real sandbox where you build everything yourself and people have always said the same thing of the elder scrolls game but there is not really much player created content in the game.

Sure, you can ignore the story and just explore and do anything the game allows you instead but you can frankly do most of that in GW2 as well.

No, the word "Sandbox" have been used far too much, Skyrin is if anything a hybrid. True sandboxes let you create your own content.

Edit: I am not saying the games are alike though, they arent.

DING DING (we have a winner)

Skyrim gives the "illusion" of being a sandbox- Actually most of its mechanics are "illusions" . Its a cool game (and phenominal once modded) but a sandbox it is not...

Sandbox is far too over used these days. In MMO terms many think it means FFA PVP and thats it.