Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fanboism of Guild Wars 2

124»

Comments

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by Tardcore

You know what's the funniest thing about these posts. As soon as the date for GW2 launch became clear, suddenly ALL MEMORY of EVERY fanboi post for SWTOR, TSW, TERA etc etc all disappeared. It's like people think that the fanboism of GW2 outclasses every single one of those. 

How quickly people forget.

Notably SWTOR, they even had people who were supposed to act professionally being biased about SWTOR simply because of the SW part.

Must respectfully disagree with you on this. I think the reason so many people are so passionate about discussing preceived flaws with this game is EXACTLY due to remembering how fan hysteria (and developer arrogance in some cases) turned a blind eye to the flaws, and spawned incredible false hopes, in ALL those earlier games. Which in the end had a terrible impact on those games.

You just proved my point. I do hope you see that. It was also my point that GW2's fanboism isn't anywhere near as epic as SWTOR's and that's what people with these threads are implying that GW2's exceeds SWTOR's somehow. False claims are false claims.

Yeah blah blah blah blah "You're WRONG!!" and not "I disagree". Thanks for playing.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Cavod
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Reading these forums is like reading a book but not being able to turn the page........ ever.

Spot on good sir.

Example:

I don't think I can take It anymore, the total and complete obsession with MMO being the best thing to happen since gravity was explained. I, like many other people won't just fall into a game without looking at all It's points; both good and bad. However It Is absolutely impossible to talk to any of these hundreds of fanboys without them completely freaking out at you.

I understand some people really like this game but It's like they are all blind or In denial and It's gotten to the point where I daren't critisize MMO in fear of hundreds of condescending, hateful and ridiculous comments. I know this isn't the same for other games, people seemed more open to critisize and compare. However I do know there's some sort of patriotic duty to defend your current game. But this has to be the biggest concentration of fanboism I've ever encountered. 

It's funny, I commented on how the RACE zone was artistically similar to MMO RACE area and mentioned I was slightly dissapointed In the lack of originality. What followed was about 45 minutes of pure hate and blind defending... 

Gah, I don 't usually post but I just had to get this of my chest. Anyone else have any experiences on this topic? I'd love to hear them.

Oh Em Gee, I've read this post before!  Yeah, it was that one person ripping into TERA, wait no it was SWTOR... doh! wrong again because I'm pretty sure it was Rift, wait no I mean STO.  Geh, I'm getting sick of being wrong. 

Oh yeah, the original I read was clearly talking about WoW.  Duh... how stupid of me.  Of course! it was WoW... being the first MMO ever made and all.  ... but wait, where did that post say WoW was inferior to? BAH! F if I know anyome.

Yep my favorite is where they throw out there that anyone who disagrees with the endless "it fails" threads are zombies, drones, borg, or any other insult they can find to strawman classify someone into a corner which usually only occurs when their argument is nullified by some fact or bit of logical reasoning.

When you're wrong you're wrong descenters, just move on and the world will continue turning just like it does with the DE's in GW2.

You know what's the funniest thing about these posts. As soon as the date for GW2 launch became clear, suddenly ALL MEMORY of EVERY fanboi post for SWTOR, TSW, TERA etc etc all disappeared. It's like people think that the fanboism of GW2 outclasses every single one of those. 

Notably SWTOR, they even had people who were supposed to act professionally being biased about SWTOR simply because of the SW part.

Must respectfully disagree with you on this. I think the reason so many people are so passionate about discussing preceived flaws with this game is EXACTLY due to remembering how fan hysteria (and developer arrogance in some cases) turned a blind eye to the flaws, and spawned incredible false hopes, in ALL those earlier games. Which in the end had a terrible impact on those games.

You just proved my point. I do hope you see that. It was also my point that GW2's fanboism isn't anywhere near as epic as SWTOR's and that's what people with these threads are implying that GW2's exceeds SWTOR's somehow. False claims are false claims.

Yeah blah blah blah blah "You're WRONG!!" and not "I disagree". Thanks for playing.

thanks for proving my second point (points down the thread a bit).

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by chrisatron

I don't think I can take It anymore, the total and complete obsession with Guild Wars 2 being the best thing to happen since gravity was explained. I, like many other people won't just fall into a game without looking at all It's points; both good and bad. However It Is absolutely impossible to talk to any of these hundreds of fanboys without them completely freaking out at you.

I understand some people really like this game but It's like they are all blind or In denial and It's gotten to the point where I daren't critisize GW2 in fear of hundreds of condescending, hateful and ridiculous comments. I know this isn't the same for other games...

Stop right there. This is EXACTLY the same as other games on this forum, you think this is new to GW2? It stems back to WoW.

Been this way for years, this is nothing new. Im afraid your simply trolling and making personal attacks on players who like this game because a few disagree with your opinion and now your crying about it.

You criticise "fanbois" for being "hateful" but your doing just the same by making this thread. The sad thing is your crying in the pub forum where likely you think less GW2 fans will find it, if you have something to say about GW2, post it in the GW2 forums. If the forums are too much for you, may i suggest not posting. Is it really so important that you have your say on a forum no-one really gives a damn about in the grand scheme of things if it upsets you so much?

Forums aren't serious, most people post crap on a forum they would never dare to say irl. Take it for what it is, a bit of fun.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

I don't know what point he is proving for you here but you proved the point of OP a long time ago.

Pot kettle back.

• gogysbgogysb Member Posts: 6

then stop trying to convince people it's a bad game,another flop,5 min of fame etc

I love the game but I don't go around promoting it, however you waste so much time and energy going out of your way to trash a first in some time decent game.

Yes it's not perfect it has room for improvement but it's far from the stuff out there.

That in itself proves what a good job Anet is doing.

You don't like it, we love it.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by halflife25

I don't know what point he is proving for you here but you proved the point of OP a long time ago.

Pot kettle back.

I was going to post the same thing. lol

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by gogysb

then stop trying to convince people it's a bad game,another flop,5 min of fame etc

I love the game but I don't go around promoting it, however you waste so much time and energy going out of your way to trash a first in some time decent game.

Yes it's not perfect it has room for improvement but it's far from the stuff out there.

That in itself proves what a good job Anet is doing.

You don't like it, we love it.

Who? what??when..huh..i am lost.. did you even read the OP?

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

You are exactly the type of poster the OP is talking about and you cannot even see it, you go on and on and on and on proving the OP's case for him oblivious to this fact, its hilarious to watch.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567
    Where are you posting?.. I am a guild wars 2 fan; but I accept and welcome the critiscism of the game. In fact most people I play with are the same way. They are in no way raging psycho's. I don't believe you're talking to the right kind of people. I suggest finding a different forum.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

Originally posted by Doublestandard

Gw2 fanboy trolls are much worse and better at trolling than ToR's fanboy trolls.  While both sets of fanboys are trolls the difference is the scope of their trolling.  Tor fanboy trolls are mostly limited to trolling only the ToR forums and their biggest fault was being blind, naive and lacking in MMO expereince.  Yes they engaged in typical fanboying trolling behavior calling anyone who disagreed wioth them names, refusal to acknowlede reality and inability to make logical arguments or reasoned posts. The GW2 fanboy trolls are different in that they invade other game forums and tell those people how bad their game is and how great GW2 is.  The big difference here is the aggression of the GW2 Fanboy Trolls.  IMO the GW2 Fanboy trolls think of the forums as a PvP game and use the forums to attack and destroy all opposition,  The Tor fanboys were more noobie or wannabe trolls in that they just trolled right before release.  The GW2 fanboy trolls are much mroe hardcore and have been spamming and trolling  forums for years prior to GW2's release.

your name on these forums is exactly my point about threads like these.  doublestandard. You see it was fine for everyone to come onto these forums to debunk the lies and deceit of the titles they do like but when someone is saying something positive about the title or telling them how wrong they are about the title they dislike they are borg, zombies, drones or anyting else they can throw out there as an insult when they are pointed out and shown for the trouble maker doublestandards they have.

and when you point out these flaws in their arguments they post things like our lovely golum up there as if that absolved them of being wrong or in any way made those of us posting about how this nonsense over everyday posting "gw2 fail" or "fanboi this or that" threads.

these threads should be deleted before they begin because they are neither correct nor necessary. the game is a success, it's flourishing, get over it. Can't handle it fine, talk about it on facebook but don't bring your lies here unless you are prepared to get called out on it.

and please, don't call someone fanboi when we prove you wrong, that's just childish. (talking to the haters who think they are objective. not doublestandard)

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by chrisatron

I don't think I can take It anymore, the total and complete obsession with Guild Wars 2 being the best thing to happen since gravity was explained. I, like many other people won't just fall into a game without looking at all It's points; both good and bad. However It Is absolutely impossible to talk to any of these hundreds of fanboys without them completely freaking out at you.

I understand some people really like this game but It's like they are all blind or In denial and It's gotten to the point where I daren't critisize GW2 in fear of hundreds of condescending, hateful and ridiculous comments. I know this isn't the same for other games, people seemed more open to critisize and compare. However I do know there's some sort of patriotic duty to defend your current game. But this has to be the biggest concentration of fanboism I've ever encountered. 

It's funny, I commented on how the Sylvari zone was artistically similar to perfect worlds elf area and mentioned I was slightly dissapointed In the lack of originality. What followed was about 45 minutes of pure hate and blind defending... 

Gah, I don 't usually post but I just had to get this of my chest. Anyone else have any experiences on this topic? I'd love to hear them. 

what's funny is thta this post could be taken back a few years and this was the exact same thing EQ1 fans were saying about WoW fanboys

I miss DAoC

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

I have to admit, I am a big GW2 fanboy...... however I am a convert. For many months I bashed the fanboys for being too rabid and blindly parroting what ANet said and not beleiving the hype. 

Then I got to play the game on a friends beta account. The next day I prepurchased and I havent looked back since. IMO the game is extremely engaging and is indeed the best MMO in years. Now I do beleive the hype.....

HOWEVER, I am on the side of the OP. I still hate the rabid fanboyism that accompanies this game(my game, the game I am playing at the moment, and will also defend) that means that there cannot be any meaningful discussion or debate about it. Anytime anyone criticises any aspect of the game they just get flamed to death. This is just stupid. I would much rather be able to defend GW2 by explaining using reasoned argument why I think it is a good game, pointing out where I think the OP is wrong etc etc but even if I do this my well thought out arguments just get lost in the sea of "you are playing it wrong" or "you just dont get it" etc etc.

Please fanboys, stop being so rabid and make reasoned arguments. It will be better in the long run. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Originally posted by Sora2810
    Where are you posting?.. I am a guild wars 2 fan; but I accept and welcome the critiscism of the game. In fact most people I play with are the same way. They are in no way raging psycho's. I don't believe you're talking to the right kind of people. I suggest finding a different forum.

He's in the right place, the people who have been calling themselves objective for the most part in these forums when they've downed this title forget how fanboism invaded their brains about the title they liked and how they reacted to people posting nonsense about their titles.

It's nothing new. Doublestandards really.

Be careful tho if you say something positive about GW2, someone might call you a fanboi or post about how they can't stand something you said that was good about this title. smh.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    There are SO MANY egocentric folks here. Who has the right to call anyone a blind fanboi. That assumes #1 that your opinion about the game itself is correct. #2, it assumes that someone who enjoys something is somehow disillusional. Who makes that determination? To even suggest anything like this pure egocentrism. All one can do is state, In my opinion, this game is X, or Y, etc. If someone doesn't agree, who gives a $#$!. Its almost like people around here get depressed if someone raves about a game they don't like. It then becomes some sort of mission to tear it down until either they can boast that the game didn't do as well as expected, or they can spend months with the same copy and paste comments until the population naturally subsides as other games are released or until improvements/content adds are implemented. A better question is, why do people in these forums want to obssesively follow a game they don't like instead of focusing their time on a game they do. I alway post the most heavy in the games I'm currently playing which includes wish lists of things I want improved.

There Is Always Hope!

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by just1opinion
    Originally posted by Deathenger
    Or maybe the game is just that good...

To some of us, it is.  To those like the OP that don't care for it, well....so what?  It's not going to change the opinion of those that love it and you always get the feeling they're trying to drag you down with their negativity in the face of your own enjoyment of the game, so....why is it surprising that people defend something they're really enjoying when it's being harshly (and sometimes unfairly) criticized by someone?  I think that's pretty much human nature to defend things we enjoy or love (for lack of a better word).

OP just needs to deal with it.  After all....GW2 "fanbois" have to deal with his threads.  Same same.  Even if this is his first thread (which I doubt....I'm not taking the time to check his posts).

Go enjoy a game of YOUR choosing and stop worrying about GW2, would be my advice.

+1

I completley agree and while I was reading the OP I was like, "hm, ANOTHER thread about fanboys?". I don't understand that some people can't really accept the fact once you play the game you actually see the game is amazing and everything that's been said is there and it feels so right.

But I know, it's easier to call people fanboys and toss around with generalizating attitude than just actually checking out the game yourself after reading so many positive things being said.

And no, the silvary starting area is nowhere near the elfs starting area... It's lightyears apart. I've played it and it's that far.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Sweet Irony when it's always the same people complaining about the Fanboys hating on anyone negative. You people are just as much part of the problem by constantly spewing the same hate on the fanboys over and over.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Exactly what point are you trying to make here? Especially when you think you made it twice?

TBH, I just see some cliche use of the phrase "you proved my point" thrown out there like shit against the wall with hopes that something will actaully stick.

Let me guess.

I just proved your point, didn't I?

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Doublestandard

Gw2 fanboy trolls are much worse and better at trolling than ToR's fanboy trolls.  While both sets of fanboys are trolls the difference is the scope of their trolling.  Tor fanboy trolls are mostly limited to trolling only the ToR forums and their biggest fault was being blind, naive and lacking in MMO expereince.  Yes they engaged in typical fanboying trolling behavior calling anyone who disagreed wioth them names, refusal to acknowlede reality and inability to make logical arguments or reasoned posts. The GW2 fanboy trolls are different in that they invade other game forums and tell those people how bad their game is and how great GW2 is.  The big difference here is the aggression of the GW2 Fanboy Trolls.  IMO the GW2 Fanboy trolls think of the forums as a PvP game and use the forums to attack and destroy all opposition,  The Tor fanboys were more noobie or wannabe trolls in that they just trolled right before release.  The GW2 fanboy trolls are much mroe hardcore and have been spamming and trolling  forums for years prior to GW2's release.

your name on these forums is exactly my point about threads like these.  doublestandard. You see it was fine for everyone to come onto these forums to debunk the lies and deceit of the titles they do like but when someone is saying something positive about the title or telling them how wrong they are about the title they dislike they are borg, zombies, drones or anyting else they can throw out there as an insult when they are pointed out and shown for the trouble maker doublestandards they have.

and when you point out these flaws in their arguments they post things like our lovely golum up there as if that absolved them of being wrong or in any way made those of us posting about how this nonsense over everyday posting "gw2 fail" or "fanboi this or that" threads.

these threads should be deleted before they begin because they are neither correct nor necessary. the game is a success, it's flourishing, get over it. Can't handle it fine, talk about it on facebook but don't bring your lies here unless you are prepared to get called out on it.

and please, don't call someone fanboi when we prove you wrong, that's just childish. (talking to the haters who think they are objective. not doublestandard)

Erm, who are "they" or "everyone".  You're arbitarily referencing people to try and form an argument.  That alone makes that whole argument void. 

Please explain to me how you have pointed out the "flaw" in the OPs argument?  He doesn't like the over intrusive fanboyism, he states that in his experience it is the worst ever.  Please point out the flaw. 

These threads should be deleted because you deem them incorrect or unnecessary?  Thats not your call and what you think is not fact.

You haven't been called a fanboy because you've proved people wrong, you're being called a fanboy because you've proved the OP right.  Thats what the Golum picture is all about.

Also, after that post, please don't talk about objectivity.  Especially when you claim the "haters" don't have any.  Can you not see the irony in that?

Originally posted by Aori

I'm with the op on this one. I've seen several polite and well structured posts detailing someones poor experience with the game. These poor people then experienced one of those most rabid fanboy communities to date.

Funniest argument from the fanbase is, you're doing it wrong and you can't play it that way. While in the same breath they'll try to convince you that you can play GW2 how you want to play it.

Uhm no, actually like any game there are a set of rules to follow.

Like setting up your firewall, making sure your antivirus is allowing your program to function properly etc etc.

Or how about the little detail of if you want to do burst dps then you need stats/trait points in those skills? I wouldn't put points in explosives on my engineer and then expect my shotgun to be improved. smh.

Originally posted by Connmacart
    Sweet Irony when it's always the same people complaining about the Fanboys hating on anyone negative. You people are just as much part of the problem by constantly spewing the same hate on the fanboys over and over.

THANK you! I tried to explain this but didn't succeed apparently. These posts are nonsense they are part of the vitriol and they need to end. it's over it's dead people just need to stop. I don't really care what people call me, what i care about is that the nastiness that seems to be in these forums (and rarely is ever dealt with i might add) from the people who have nothing but negative things to say about a game they will never buy or play is astounding.

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414

Posting about how other posters are posting isnt really a good discussion for the forums. 

Please keep your discussions on the topic of the games, and not what John and Jane Forum Poster are posting about it this week.

To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.