Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So the next big MMO is?

Comments

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367
    There won't be one... Hyped games will come and go, but nothing realy big will happen again.
  • munecaroonmunecaroon Member Posts: 88

what about that otherland mmo?

not sure when it comes out though and i have't seen hands-on details either.

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

I am looking forward to hearing more about WildStar and ya Neverwinter sounds awesome.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by Mannish
    ArcheAge is probaly the next big one that most people are looking forward to but for some reason I think Wildstar will be the next mmo thats a huge success. I dont know why but I just believe it will be.

i too was really excited for Wildstar but the new combat telegraphing system destroyed all of my enthusiasm. its the lamest more ridiculous and gimmicky system i;ve ever seen yet. the combat system was starting to look really interesting and fun.. but this just trivializes all of that. total bummer

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by coretex666
    The only "BIG MMO" that I see coming in the next a few years is definitely Blizzard's Titan.I think that we will see something that has not been seen before in the MMO industry. I expect a revolutionary product that will dictate the trends in the industry for next decade just like WoW did. They say they expect its lifecycle to be like two decades. I doubt they would say something like this if they had a product similar to MMOs that have been released in the last several years in their hands. They have to have something special.

Lol how can you make that assumption about a product that has released 0 information about itself?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    It's so funny how people blindly follow Blizzard.. The rumored name "Titan" and nothing else and they already know it's gonna be the next greatest thing..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

Neverwinter is coming...

But also Planetside 2!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Ya sadly i await to play Archeage but  i definitely cannot promise too much different .I could promise however a more organized game design  than all the sloppy stuff i have seen thrown together by other devs.

My biggest problem and it seems to be noticeable  in ALL games is mixing pvp with pve,it simple does not work.I think that is why i enjoyed FFXI the best becuase the entire game design was structured and organized around PVE.That way you don't worry about having to balance each individual,you just make a game that works in a group [MMO] experience.FFXI has since turned it's design to be more like other games and it shows really badly how poor that decision was.

Besides the pvp/pve mix in Archeage ,it has one other really big flaw that i hate in games.The class design will be limited ,sort of like Gw2 and other games.this means you have to make a choice on your selections,i simply do not like that.Once again i was spoiled by FFXI where on one single player you could learn every class/ability/spell in the game.Yes it had restriction in that you had to choose a class to play but at least all options were available to you.

I think if Archeage can keep the PVP a side show from PVE it might be an interesting stay.People will enjoy exploring and jumping off mountains with a hand glider.They will enjoy riding around in their ship/boat they made.They might enjoy their house and garden,it will just give players a little more interaction than the usual follow the leader linear content.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by tixylix

SWTOR and GW2 felt too much like more of the same to me, still grinding on mobs and doing battlegrounds. I don't like Planetside 2, just feels really poor as a shooter and nothing like Planetside, no surprise really as it is SOE.

Just can't see anything else right now....

just want that innovative genre defining title that we haven't had for 7 years, bored of the same old crap.

Whatever the next expansion of "Bitch Like Hell on the Forums That Todays MMOs Suck Online" is called. I for one NEVER get tired of playing that game.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    There's nothing that radically different on the horizon, unfortunately.

Excuse me,nothing on the horizon because I would define an horizon in Mo terms as a year at least so did u actually mean now or 2013/14,because come then we have a virtual golden age of Mo's to chose from

Pathfinder,Embers,Archeage,Defience,Orgins of Mulu,FTL,War Z,Miner wars,WOD, and that Titan thingie and that's just of the top of my head.

Repop will be massive as well,and even browser games like project Theralon look pretty cool as well and by different what else do you need plenty of variety there and also other stuff  I can't even talk about  as well.

p>
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Vannor

If the foundry content creator in Neverwinter is good, then Neverwinter could be the next big thing. It all depends on how good the Foundry is though. Doesn't look as good a single player game editor like in NW1 (who expects it to be?) but it looks promising to me.

Judge for yourself, first part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_7WgszhNN4

second part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzSBodMnPtU

If they do pull it off.. we'll basicaly have an MMO with unlimited content. I'd class unlimited content as something different. If the editor is especially good then the sky's the limit in terms of content variety and storytelling. Would be no need for endgame concerns when potentially hundreds or even thousands of new quests/dungeons appear every day thanks to other players.

Yes it has some promise,at least worth a look see or a wait and see,i know i will be checking it out.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ChramChram Member Posts: 91

Embers of Careus? Repopulation? Pathfinder online? Possibly even Darkfall 2.

I for one am quite excited for the sandbox future. 

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Blade and Soul should do well given it has end game. I loved Tera but that game had NO end game. Unless you call enchanting end game (lol). Archeage wont hit the states in time to have any effect. Interest will die down very quickly. Blade and Soul looks pretty darn good but obviously thats opinion. Many of us do enjoy asian mmos btw. Assuming we do not is silly. I could care less if the game I play has 1 million or 1k players. Its all about MY enjoyment. If you only play games with huge success you are missing out on SO MUCH FUN!!!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Despite the over reaction from the gaming community towards Zenimax's TESO it will seriously draw peoples attention the closer we get to release.The title is just to well known not to be drawn in by it,like it or not this will be the talk throughout next year.

Plus their are many people who are actually looking forward to it,it might not be as bad as the purist are making out.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by Chram

Embers of Careus? Repopulation? Pathfinder online? Possibly even Drakfall 2.

I for one am quite excited for the sandbox future. 

To bloody right mate been playing Mo's for 18 years now and not seen anything like this massive amount of future projects and right now i'm very excited about one particular Sandbox care to guess.image

p>
  • April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316

The next truly big triple AAA  mmo will be-

Code name: Project Titan

Developer: Blizzard

Announcement: Blizcon 2013

Release: Unkown

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

I think Archage will be MASSIVE in the EAST. It will likely come out in the West later, and that's where I'm not sure how big it will be. But eg China's mmo/online/social-online etc genres market is growing - I think the fit will be well matched?

For the West, I assume Titan will be MMOFPS or FPSMMO (if that makes a difference) and worlds will literally be planets with spacefaring etc. :D

For sandbox, it's where the question hits my interest the most. Guess it will be some sort of indie dev eg along the lines of Notch and Minecraft as an eg. :)

/crystal ball is now being retired permanently!

Edit: the social-gaming thing: It's short-lived fad or at least social-network + new craze driven? Not sure how viable long term revenue these things can keep producing esp. as the 1st gen of fb users (non-traditional gamers) will ween off these and either ween off games or move towards more tradtional games and less gamification/gambling things??

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Planetside2
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

I hope Titan will be a AAA mmorpg but I think most are correct that it will NOT be.

I would love to see a truly high end mmofps with open world gameplay. So many claim to be mmofps when really its just a lobby game. We shall see once they decide to actually announce this project.

Most likely some indie company will make a game so different we will all be forced to try it from word of mouth and the masses will follow. WoW didn't sell many copies right away. It had about the same as EQ. Then all of a sudden people started seeing there friends play and the buzz just made it EXPLODE. Can blizzard pull off this feat again. Doubtful, but I hope so. It has been a long time since a game has held my interest for even a year. I look forward to that again. Really enjoying GW2 but I don't see myself playing that for over 3-6 months because I usually get bored at that time. Though it being b2p who knows. I can certainly see myself logging in randomely for years just to goof around in Tyria.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    There's nothing that radically different on the horizon, unfortunately.

That is not exactly true, there are 2 very different games on the horizon (well, it will be 2-3 years but still close enough).

CCPs "World of darkness online" have half it crew old P&P devs that worked on Vampire before, and the same lead designer as Eve. It will be very different with player run citys.

Undead labs console zombie MMO "Class 4" will also be something very different from anything we seen before. They actually have good funding (unlike WoDO, Microsoft pays the bill) and a very experienced team lead by Jeff Strain (lead designer of Diablo, Warcraft 3, Guildwars 1 & 2).

The pregame "Class 3" will be a regular multiplayer game and they did change their mind and made it so you can play either on PC or XBox so us PC players can try it out too (not sure about C4 yet), even though we likely need to buy a XBox controller to play it as intended.

Neither of them might be what OP want but both games are very different from current games and hopefully are they about so far away as GW2 and TOR was when they hype started for them. Want something very different then this are my top two choices. There is also the Korean game Archeage, but hyping up for Korean games have so far been a bad idea and it have some of the features OP doesnt like.

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374
    Archeage and Blade and Soul for sure.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Sylvarii
    Despite the over reaction from the gaming community towards Zenimax's TESO it will seriously draw peoples attention the closer we get to release.The title is just to well known not to be drawn in by it,like it or not this will be the talk throughout next year.

Plus their are many people who are actually looking forward to it,it might not be as bad as the purist are making out.

Here's my take on it. Based on what we have for selections in MMO's, developers had tried to emulate WoW and this has lead to failure. The general concensus had been, "If i want to play WoW, there's WoW for that".

THe problame with th eclones is that they copied WoW but they copied it in it's current state. They copied the game after it had started to lose it's hold. This is exactly what Wow players didn't really want. (Even though they said so)

Believe it or not, I think a Formula like WoW could potentially be very successful, BUT it's going to require some homework.

They need to go back and look at WoW from it's early days. They need to discover what it was about WoW and TBC that pulled in 12M people. What did Blizzard do that made so many people want to log in day after day. Yes, those specific environments got boring, but I believe had Wrath continued down the same path as the original and 1st expansion, it wouldn't have lost so many players. Once WoW was designed to focus on instancing instead of being based on progression, as is the case for WoW 3.x and later, people lost interest.

You need things for everyone to do. Clearly, GW2 has proven there is a community that likes to run around and discover all the little nooks and crannys in an MMO. So games need Easter Eggs hidden all over the place, Some people like progression PVP, some don't. I don't see why a game can't have it's WoW style areneas, GW2 WvW, Rift's CQ, as well as normallized PVP like GW2, Dailys, Open World Raiding like Rift's, Crafting, Robust game economies, And the list goes on.

Those are all just features, and in and of them selves, they won't make a game successful, however, like I said, If a developer goes back and captures that magic that WoW had early on, it will be successful in the long term. Don't misunderstand, I'm not suggesting a clone per se, I'm suggesting they need to find out what worked, refine it, hone it, add more of what worked, FIX (not remove) what doesn't work. A gutted game is still gutted.

I agree you only get one 1st kiss, but I don't think that's what happened with WoW. I think it's more like The WoW you fell in love with got complacent, then got fat and lazy. Well, you get hte image.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    I do not think the wow formula is the problem. The lack of launch content is. If you are going to make a game like wow then you need the content to back it up. Multiple leveling zones for alt-o-holics, multiple pvp types and zones, instances, raids, mini games. Releasing and saying it will come just does not work.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I have no interest in The Elder Scrolls Online and I love that series and want to love MMOs again. 

I've always said The Elder Scrolls would make the best MMO ever because it just lends itself so well to that style of game. I'm so tired of the WoW formula that having that questing system, first person view and combat would be so amazing.

So what do they go and do? Copy every other MMO out there and ditch what makes the Elder Scrolls good.

So no thanx.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Some single player story with multiplayer elements that will innovate the ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"