Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Why I'll be looking for another MMO.

GrayImpactGrayImpact NetherlandsPosts: 985Member Uncommon

I never believed guild wars 2 was going to be the next big thing, It's sold well, and it might become the next big thing in the future, no one can really tell yet.

But even though i went into the game without much hype, i enjoyed it thoroughly, i love the new way of question although I'd never ever lable it as "Dynamic" It just isn't, they're repeating chain quests - But the innovation i love is that i don't have to backtrack for a questgiver - God that annoys me.

On top of that i Loved exploring, on my first playthrough to 80 i explored every area up to level 40 a 100%, picking up every vista, looking for jumping puzzles and points of interests and taking screenshots along my way.

but somewhere around level 55 this started boring me, questing started feeling like a grind, zone exploring started feeling like a chore, granted this might partially be because I played the game too much in large sittings and barely ever quit, but I've done this in other MMO's and they kept me interested a lot longer, so why did i lose the motivation? heres why.

I knew that level 80 would be the exact same, over and over - And yes i did get to 80 enjoying things like Crafting, SPvP, and a lot of WvW which i thoroughly enjoyed at first - Until i had figured it out, everything started feeling repetitive at that point

There is no Endgame, I had done several dungeons and i did not see the fun in them, i never enjoyed the idea of losing the holy trinity as I am by heart a healer, and though there are classes with loads of heals like guardians, they just don't feel the same .

Eh.. Wow okay, It feels like I'm really bashing the game, which is not what i planned on doing, i played for a 140 hours and loved nearly every second of it and if someone would ask me if guildwars 2 was worth buying I'd heartily  shout yes, hell yes! buy this game it's brilliant.

But as MMO? It just doesn't have what it takes, the chat interaction seems extremely limited, you meet people in events and split up while a word is never said, and yes i did try on multiple occasions, but people simply don't respond ( My journey went through servers fissure of woe and Piken square ) and without community a MMO is simply not worth sticking to for me, i didn't feel like doing the dungeons over and over, i did not want to grind for 119 gold to get my Tier 3 seeing as by level 80 i had only made 6.5 gold.

I hope that perhaps when the massive zerg to 80 is over people will become more social, but right now they simply aren't and unless you have a guild, the community is non existant - Other MMO's made me feel part of a community even without a guild, but Guild wars 2 simply never has.

Now.. I'm afraid to be flamed by fanboys ( remember i did love your game and will continue playing when i pass my burnout phase so go easy on me ;-; ? ) so... *puts on protective suit* 

On an edit:

Pros: Better questing, great exploring, great fun initially, amazing value for money (no sub fee, 60$, 140 hours!), SPvP has the potential to be fantastic.

Cons: No healers, quiet community, quests turn to easy zergs, currency is hell to come by, Frustrating dungeons.

Comments

• IceAgeIceAge SomeWhere In ..Posts: 1,013Member Common

Yes, being in a guild helps alot since I tend to agree with you about social aspects! Maybe is because the rush which you've mentionated , and that people started using TS/Skype/etc for friends/guilds communication. 140 hours it's all fine, after all you did tried and enjoyed the game, and I am pretty sure that at some point, you will come back from time to time to check the changes!

I wish you good luck in finding a MMO which will hold your interes much longer! For me, that game is still GW2 ! :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• GrayImpactGrayImpact NetherlandsPosts: 985Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by IceAge

Yes, being in a guild helps alot since I tend to agree with you about social aspects! Maybe is because the rush which you've mentionated , and that people started using TS/Skype/etc for friends/guilds communication. 140 hours it's all fine, after all you did tried and enjoyed the game, and I am pretty sure that at some point, you will come back from time to time to check the changes!

I wish you good luck in finding a MMO which will hold your interes much longer! For me, that game is still GW2 ! :)

Oh yes :) No doubt I'll be coming back, i still find myself logging in ocasionally seeing if i maybe missed something, and i particularly enjoy WvW when our server has a good night.

Right now It's mostly the lack of community, the fact that earning gold seems way to hard, and i don't see myself grinding these dungeons since they're not all that enjoyable. ^^;

I'll stick to GW2 for a while, but I'll be looking for something new in the meantime - YAY FOR NO SUB FEE!

• LeetheLeethe Posts: 876Member Uncommon

Fanboy here:

GW2 was never meant to be a lifestyle choice and it was never meant to be played at the exclusion of other games. Most players I speak to are playing GW2 along side a P2P MMO and multiple other games.

Edit: Tardcore is trying too hard.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• TardcoreTardcore MinskPosts: 2,325Member
    "Look! Someone who doesn't love the game! GET HIM!!!!!!!!"

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• MeowheadMeowhead New Carlisle, INPosts: 3,716Member

Hmm.  I actually haven't made that many new friends playing GW2, but that's because I have so many friends alread yplaying it I'm mostly with them.  Still, there have been a few times when I've talked with and even friended people, when I'm not busy hanging with my friends/guild.

Notably jumping puzzles, teaming up on champions, and fighting chickens.

Angry chickens are beasts. :(

Oh, and some random RP.  I'm not saying your experience didn't happen, just glad it hasn't happened to me, I guess?

• halflife25halflife25 Toronto, ONPosts: 737Member
    Originally posted by Tardcore

Actually OP does love the game ;) and yet capable to see its flaws.

His kind is rare though.

• GrayImpactGrayImpact NetherlandsPosts: 985Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by Tardcore

Actually OP does love the game ;) and yet capable to see its flaws.

His kind is rare though.

Hehe loved the image, yeah :) I'll be giving it another shot soon enough.

• IamAproposIamApropos San Antonio, TXPosts: 173Member

I almost completely agree with you.  Though I don't even think being in a guild helps much because there is not much available for guilds to do together.  only 1 real mini game is available...  The Big Open world bosses are not scaling and have very limited animations for something supposed to be soooooo epic...

I absolutely love the game and if you read my current review I rate it a 9.5 out of 10 compared to any game I've experienced in the past.  It does so much right but socially it is HORRID.  Since everyone levels at different speeds, until level 80 guild members are in a level phase and don't pay attention to chat which just blends into other game chats.

Guild Wars 2 has the best foundation to start with then any other game I've seen at any launch in the past but the only thing I'd have to disagree with you on is the lack of trinity.   I'm actually really happy we don't have to rely on a specific healer or tank class, though I have seen that the majority refuse to learn how to play correctly and end up hating their dungeon experience because of it.   I think once people realize how much more interactive and coordinated dungeons actually have to be and most of all once anet tunes them correctly then maybe just maybe the masses can unlearn the simple minded trinity crap that has plagued previous games.

That being said great review and happy gaming.

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.