Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High population Servers coming to SWTOR

2»

Comments

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         Sad thing is.. even at free to play I don't see myself returning..  I might pop on to finish some storylines on alts, but that is rare because I just don't have any desire to play the boring linear questlines again.. I might lon on once a month for an hour.. IF that.. I do agree with most, that this looks like a "server" clean up, then anything..
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Why not call a spade a spade? I don't understand why the need to lie. Goes to show they don't think highly of their customers if they think the majority will fall for this marketing ploy.  Or am I thinking too highly of the majority of the people playing nowadays?

Why aren't the other major companies also employing these "super servers"? Without it causing lag for everyone logged in.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

This is so funny.  They already done this once and it did not help.  What in the wold makes them think that doing more server merges is going to help this game.

All one has to do is look at torstatus net to realize that they are still dropping subs every day.  

To call these super servers is funny, we been there and done that once before.

It still don't fix the problem of the game sucking bad,  I said it the last lime just moving folks around and giving them ore folks to play with does not fix the problems with the game.

The folks at ea/bioware have no clue.

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

Obviously, no one is going to see this the way i see it, but here goes.

This is an excellent move and idea.

Here's how i see this whole thing at the end of the day:

2 styles of play: PVP and PVE

From there, you have 2 giant "servers"... When a char is created, you select your style of play and that's it.  No server selection screen.  Everyone plays together through cross-tech.

We know SWTOR can handles lots of players through instances (look at launch... several instances of fleet, Korriban, etc...).  I think they have the tech to handle 4 or 5 instances of each planets.

The whole idea of servers is dying...

eqnext.wikia.com

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I love fancy ways of saying server merges. Putting a few sticks of ram in from a server your shutting down and raising the player cap isn't really much of a 'tech upgrade'. 

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA
    This is Electronic Arts' way of saying they're merging servers, yes.

It's a pretty creative spin on it, you have to admit.

I liked Blizzavision's "Crossrealm Zone" excuse as well.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Crossrealm zone is a better idea especially for low level zones in older games. You get to keep your server and get people.
  • starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230

The problem is EA considers tiger woods more important then swtor. EA wasnt voted the number 1 worse company  for nothing.

If they had spent the 100 mill plus on the actual game rather then spending millions on PR to promote things they dont have and "coming soon" 24/7 the game might have actually gone somewhere.

After playing gw2 the majority of people i know cant see justifying paying 15 bucks a month anymore for swtor. Even f2p not sure id bother anymore. Its really depressing i was in beta for months and live and they just screwd off with content and spent thier time promoting cutom ui and ridiculous features that are nice in all but there standard features in eevery other mmo but here its EXCITING NEW CUSTOM UI!! AND EXCITING NEW GROUP FINDER! /shakes head

Then you got james ohlen thinking he has the best pvp team lolz. The best pvp team is in gw2.

One thing about gw2 is it goes to show you how lazy and how incompetent other mmo devs have become.

Im looking fwd to swtors sunset.. i never thought id say it but i hope gabe ametegelo and james ohlen never get a job in the gaming industry again.

All this server merging is doing is once again sscrewing with what carebears are left and theyll soon be on the reality bandwagon.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Server(s).

;)

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

But the question is still open. Everyone is quick to assume the high population is just a spin.

This is what you get for type of communication EA puts out.

From their record, everything they say is a spin until proven otherwise. And they have only themselves to blame.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Low pop or high pop, the game still feels just as dead due to all the sharding. The only difference is your lobby queue for X instance will be shorter.