Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is just too..."tralala, smell the roses"

124»

Comments

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Fozzik

This thread reeks of quality.

The "I reject and ridicule all things female" mentality will end pretty soon when you hit puberty or get your first girlfriend. Girls really aren't that scary, I promise.

A game doesn't have to be filled with artificial, stereotypical machismo in order to be "mature" or "manly". Real men don't have the insecurities that those needs illustrate.

The game is about exploration, completionism, and choice. It's the most "mature" MMORPG to come along in a long time...not because it shows boobies or talks about rape constantly...but instead because the mechanics don't constantly hold your hand. There are complex choices that have permanent consequences and a lot of depth and life to the world. Actual adults, not adolescents who feel a need to act like what they think an adult acts like, can appreciate what GW2 offers.

While there is less handholding in certain areas, such as a less linear path for level progression, they removed  several mechanics which really tested people's maturity, such as the tagging of mobs and loot-rolling.  

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by wrightstuf

I wanted to get into the game. I really did. It just seems like too cutsey, sissy, kiddie game. For what it does, it does well I guess. TSW has spoiled me with a mature, gritty feel that GW2 just doesnt have. I mean, come on. We're adults already (at least most are i think),  Maybe its the fantasy theme that's been beat to death that's doing it.

Ok, rant over...you may now proceed to bash me

There are some darker and grittier areas in the game, but overall I agree with you...

I am sorry the aesthetic doesn't appeal to you.

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    While there is less handholding in certain areas, such as a less linear path for level progression, they removed  several mechanics which really tested people's maturity, such as the tagging of mobs and loot-rolling.  

I would say those mechanics just tended to expose people's immaturity, rather than nudge them in the direction of civility (at least in most recent MMORPGs). I think there's still plenty of opportunities to discover those people who aren't worth playing with. Tripping over each other and griefing in the open world isn't required. :)

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Fozzik

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

I would say those mechanics just tended to expose people's immaturity, rather than nudge them in the direction of civility (at least in most recent MMORPGs). I think there's still plenty of opportunities to discover those people who aren't worth playing with. Tripping over each other and griefing in the open world isn't required. :)

I would say that it is precisely when you have strong conflicting interests that immaturity is often revealed. Maybe such situations are even required to spot immaturity. As for nudging people in the direction of civility: should games really do that? I don't think it is up to games to act as parents. 

• davhut21davhut21 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    So what level did you even make it to. I am sure you are not an 80 yet. I would love to see someone skipping along Malchor's Leap zone or so sniffing the flowers. The risen in the high level zones are not childs play. They will kill you rather quickly. So the content  in the lower levels may seem a little easy but it is just the tip of the iceberg that follows.
  • StalkerousStalkerous Member UncommonPosts: 92
    The game is awesome not worth the $60 bucks like some said. But if you don't like it don't play it no one is forcing you too.

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    The game is fun but nothing to brag about. It's so casual-easy that I don't even log in anymore. I might just sell the account and get part of my money back.
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by gestalt11

If you actually bothered to compare zones you would have noticed that TSW and GW2 are actually quite similar.  In fact Orr is far more gritty and hardcore and full of undead than any of the TSW zones.

Go ahead try to do zone completion in Orr solo.  Go ahead.  I dare you.

Somewhat offtopic, but the only difficult part in completing the zones in Orr solo were the bugged skillpoints. Nothing required more than just me to get to / beat. 

• ScarlyngScarlyng Member UncommonPosts: 159

Those who enjoy the game, play. Those who don't, make threads like this.

No game will appeal to everyone.  Sorry this one didn't do it for you.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by evolver1972

Exactly.  I'm a 40 year old man and have a great time playing as an Asura.  In fact, I find the Asura storylines to be the most entertaining in the game.  Maybe that makes me just a kid at heart?  Besides, calling anything game related as childish and sissy is pretty stupid, I think.  After all, we are all just adults playing games.  How is that not "immature"?

I really like this post! I think OP is forgetting that this is a game and as such a form of entertainment. I don't see why adults have to have grim, violent, and depressing all of the time. The real world is like that enough as it is.

I used to think that gaming was immature, and that I was immature to participate in it.

I think now that gaming is in general neutral:  it is what you make of it that assigns maturity or immaturity. But painting things as immature to belittle other peoples' opinions is not really a sign of maturity in my opinion, which is what the OP has done.

Gaming has been around for a very long time, even to the point that the Ancient Egyptians considered it a sacred activity (Thoth was the god of games). It fosters competitivy, teamwork, an understand of markets, and the ability to plan out things in the case of the best MMOs, and sometimes community and a deeper understanding of how humans work.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by sbarra1x

I wanted to get into the game. I really did. It just seems like too cutsey, sissy, kiddie game. For what it does, it does well I guess. TSW has spoiled me with a mature, gritty feel that GW2 just doesnt have. I mean, come on. We're adults already (at least most are i think),  Maybe its the fantasy theme that's been beat to death that's doing it.

The fact that you think Guild Wars 2 is too "cutesy, sissy, kiddy" is a pretty immature view itself; it is not a dark and gritty game with a strictly mature theme, but this does not automatically mean that it is for children.

A truly mature, grown-up person would not associate anything dark, gritty and explicit with maturity, and anything colourful and non-explicit with immaturity.

Besides his comment being very immature itself, it's usually kids that feel they need a lot of blood, horror and other creepy stuff in their games and movies, anything labelled 16+ is where the kool kids are at. More mature people learn to appreciate things for what they are and don't need a lot of sex, blood and violence in order to feel mature.

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    afraid fo the pink?

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

I play fantasy mmorpgs. With so many sci-fi games failing expect this trend to last.

Swords and Magic are cool. Fact.

Side Note: Dude on my sig may wear a pink bandana. Believe me. He's a badass! (Randi from Secret of Mana)

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• Warhawk137Warhawk137 Member Posts: 1

First post for me. :)

2 points to make.  In the interest of full disclosure, I personally love GW2.

Anyway, point the first: we have enough trouble getting genre fiction taken credibly in other art forms that it's counterproductive that fans of, e.g., fantasy, science fiction, thrillers, romance, etc. treat the other(s) as inherently lesser forms of art.  Obviously it's not a problem in video games, but in film, literature, etc., sniping between fans of sci-fi and fans of fantasy ends up hurting both genres because it just makes it easier for the "serious critics" who think both genres are junk and fail to qualify as "art."  Still, due to the medium, it's probalby the less important of my two points - the concern is the rift between fans of different genres of game spilling over into other mediums.

The more imporant, and relevant, point here is that MMOs can't really approach mature vs. immature (for lack of a better description of the dichotomy) in the same way as other games, or in fact film or literature, because of the amount of time they expect players to spend in that world.  Where with other games - even longer ones - and with film and literature, you can set a consistent tone throughout, that can get monotonous when instead of 2, or 5, or 10, or 20 hours, the audience is expected to stick around for huncreds of hours.  It's an issue of balance and variety.  What a game like GW2, and fwiw also WoW, has going for it is that you don't have to go do something else if you're in the mood for something lighthearted, and likewise you don't have to go do somethign else if you're in the mood for something dramatic and dark.  To provide a literary example of this idea, while I'm a big fan of A Song of Ice and Fire, and am working my way through the books, they're pretty uniformly depressing.  As a result, I find myself switching back and forth between working my way through those books, and working my way through the Discworld books, in order to feel a bit of a shift in tone.

Basically what I'm saying is, sure, there are MMOs out there that are all-dark, all the time, and some that are all-light, all the time, and there are certainly people that like that, but the majority of the public enjoys a variety of tone in their entertainment, and therefore it's smart for MMO developers to provide that variety within the game.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

yea, and undead dragon rampaging over the world zerging everything with his undead minion surely is the story you should read for a kid's good nite. totally... uh wait. it's not, wtf did you play?

TSW had content for 2 months, the pvp was... well. lets not get into trolling here...

lets see how much content gw2 has to offer. you surely didnt see the end of it like it sounds.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• DigitallyEndowedDigitallyEndowed Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by sbarra1x

The fact that you think Guild Wars 2 is too "cutesy, sissy, kiddy" is a pretty immature view itself; it is not a dark and gritty game with a strictly mature theme, but this does not automatically mean that it is for children.

A truly mature, grown-up person would not associate anything dark, gritty and explicit with maturity, and anything colourful and non-explicit with immaturity.

I didnt say it "was"...i said that it "ssems like it to me"....and it does. of course you along with others feel differently. i'm sure there are all ages playing any game.

sorry, if my choice of descriptions offended  you, but they expressed how i percieve the game..should i just of said "the game seems designed for kids?"

and yes, i do associate "dark, gritty, and explicit" with maturity.. its certainly not intended for kids. that doesnt mean a 14 year old doesnt think "hobo with a shotgun" isnt cool as hell, lol.

I didnt mean a certain demographic intention. I meant the game seems cutsey, sissy, and kiddie.

I am not offended at all; not sure why you think I am.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion; you think Guild Wars 2 seems too “cutesy,” “sissy,” and “kiddy” for your tastes, and that’s fair enough. I personally don’t agree that it is any of those things, and thus I was merely highlighting the fact that although Guild Wars 2 lacks in mature themes, it is certainly not designed solely for children (or immature adults for that matter.)

Also maturity and mature (explicit) content are in most cases different things. Of course dark, gritty, explicit content is not intended for the younger consumer; that goes without saying. The point I was making is that mature content is not necessarily associated with being mature as a person, but more so how old you are; there are 12 year olds who are more mature than 21 year olds for example. These 21 year olds are able to watch violent horror movies intended for adult audiences whereas the 12 year olds are not.