Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes: Dinner's On Us

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The sponsors of last week's City of Heroes Unity Rally have announced that they have successfully completed a fundraising activity called "Dinner's On Us". Fans of the game donated money to purchase dinner for the entire Paragon Studios team in thanks for their years of dedication to the game that was recently announced as closing down.

We the community want to show our appreciation to the people who have given us such a wonderful outlet for our creative energies over the years. They've talked to us, they've listened to our feedback, they've even socialized with us on a level that no other game developer ever has. We're still hopeful that the game will end up where it belongs, in the hands of Paragon Studios. But no matter what happens, we just want Paragon Studios to know that we're here for them and appreciate all of the hard work they've dedicated to us.

Source: Email press release

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    They will buy them dinner and poison them all! Muahahahha!!!!! Muahahahaha!!! Ahhhhhhhahaahaah!!!!

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310

Bioware got doughnuts and now Paragon gets dinner? Man, I want to be a dev.

*shoves hands in pockets and kicks the dirt

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195
    Truely a last supper
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

They ate a great diner, then next day they turn around.

We are still shutting the game down!

• WyldnytesWyldnytes Member Posts: 1

For the comments above: 

No one is poisioning them.

Being a dev is a hard job, but with communities like ours, it can be worth every minute.

Hopefully not a last supper.

And they hopefully had an amazing dinner, went home, hugged their famalies, and then tried like hell like the rest of us to figure out a way to keep this game going.

Paragon Studios is NOT who is shutting down City of, it's NCSoft.  The folks at Paragon were just as surprised as we were.  And keep in mind, for us it's a game, a community, a way to escape from the every day, for them, it's their jobs that are going away.  They're not being redsitributed throughout NCSoft, they're being let go.  Try to keep that in mind when you sling your vitriol at the wrong place.

• BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262
    I have to say I saw things in Guild Wars 2 that made me do a double take, and not in a good way. I know people on this site talk about Guild Wars 2 like it's the messiah of gaming but to be honest what I saw left me feeling very disturbed. Now with what they are doing with CoH I will find it very hard to ever trust NC Soft ever again. I think I would trust Blizzard or SOE first and if that doesn't make a statement I don't know what will.

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Yep.  NCSoft is like the Fox Network of the MMO world.  All the good games are being canceled. I enjoyed CoX and Tabula Rasa, but they weren't profitable enough for NCSoft.   Here's hoping they don't cancel Guild Wars 2.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

And Anet got cupcakes... don't forget the cupcakes.. :)

Good luck to the CoH community, BTW. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by Wyldnytes

Try to keep that in mind when you sling your vitriol at the wrong place.

I think you took that far more seriously than they intended.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by L0C0Man
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

And Anet got cupcakes... don't forget the cupcakes.. :)

Good luck to the CoH community, BTW. :)

Reloaded Productions (APB: Reloaded) got cupcakes as well.

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Wyldnytes

Try to keep that in mind when you sling your vitriol at the wrong place.

I think you took that far more seriously than they intended.

When someone loses their job it's hardly something to take lightly or joke about.

On topic, I am glad the Unity Rally fundraiser reached it's goal!

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• fiveodanofiveodano Member Posts: 15

I don't watch TV so I can't really say I know what your talikng about. But what does it have to do with City of Heroes? Does Fox suddenly cancel shows in a way that other networks don't? I think the comparison might be too deep in the weeds for some of us. 

I don't have any problem with a company sutting down a product. But the way NCsoft shut down CoH makes me glad I haven't bought into GW2.

I will not be giving NC Soft any of my money, they can't be trusted.

I agree, hopefully they won't shut down the game you love to play. If and when they do I hope they give you a year to decide whether or not you want to continue to pay for their service knowing it will be shut down. Or finding a buyer for it.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Sad to say that if the current chain of events unfolds the game have about three months left. I am glad to see that the City of Heroes community keep the flag high and remain one of the best communitys on the market.

This have been a good conversation

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by fiveodano

I don't watch TV so I can't really say I know what your talikng about. But what does it have to do with City of Heroes? Does Fox suddenly cancel shows in a way that other networks don't? I think the comparison might be too deep in the weeds for some of us. 

Just the two biggest which comes to my mind instantly, Firefly (cancelled against the creators and fans, luckily they gather enough for Serenity) and Futurama (also went forward into movies, then luckily found place on another channel. I liked when they refer in the first movie to the idiots at the company who fired them, and the logo of Box flashes, so it's sometimes Fox :)  )

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

3 bags of Ex lax in the turkey..and they never even noticed  Muhahahah

until the next morning !!!

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    This reminds me of Reddit maiing cupcakes to ANet for GW2.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• st0rmM0nk3yst0rmM0nk3y Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I am of the opinion that they just didn't want to compete with themselves, which in my mind is a bad idea. They just anounced they are going to release Blade and Soul here in the U.S. and I think that has everything to do with them deciding to shut down CoH. For me it's not a very smart move as they could make more money if they did compete with themselves. Now as I notice here in the forums those that are fans of CoH are very unhappy with NCSoft and with good reason - they continually shut down games that aren't ready to be sent to MMO heaven, or shut down games without sufficient time and effort to try to meet the demands/requests of the fanbase of the particular game. Let's see.... Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa, City of Heroes, and I'm sure I'm missing something else.
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I don't think they're closing down the studio purely to get rid of CoH. The suddenness of it, plus the fact that it was still loved and profitable (not as much as they'd have liked I'm sure, but several servers were steadily reading "full" which is more than many games can say) leads me to believe there's more to the story. It may be some internal politic-ing going on; maybe PS and NC weren't in agreement anymore, maybe certain people at PS were leaving and that shook NC's confidence in the company, etc. There's also the chance that NC wanted to close the studio to essentially freeze the assets and pull an "APB" where the game will be sold to another company (I would LOVE this).

Then of course, the possibility that this was closed and the IP transferred to a new subsidiary for redevelopment, as CoH2, something they've been teasing about for a long time now. Just because it's the same IP doesn't mean they want the PS team working on it. IMO, the sudden shut down could meaan anything really....except that profits were low. I find it hard to believe that's the only reason for this.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."