Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Free Content What 'Responsible Companies Do'

Comments

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Atleast you tried to hide the fact that $60 gets you all the game except the lastest expansion discrediting your post that no other game give you content like gw2.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Onecrazyguy
    Originally posted by Grotar89

And that is why WE love Arena Net, they care for they players first and profit after. Thats why they made best MMO.

Look at Bioware and Funcom they are only trying to milk the players, ToR going F2P with probably paid content updates and TSW has cash shop + sub + box fee, no wonder they sold only 200k copies.

Thank you Arena Net for reviving  MMO genre !!!

You're kidding right? Players before profit?

Even I wouldn't say that was true heh...

ANet, as much as I like them and enjoy GW2, are as 'guilty' of chasing the bottom line as anyone else. The game has blatantly been designed with ongoing profit in mind, which is fine because wanting ongoing revenue is natural whether you are a cash shop or sub game, so lets not fall for their 'doing it for the gamer' line too much.

If this were true there wouldnt even be a cash shop... they would just be truely 'buy to play' and be selling content expansions.

They are a quality developer with a quality product, they are not our best buddies or whatever out to do us a favour. They simply understand the value of consumer goodwill and brand loyalty and how to capitalise on it well, which is suprisingly rare in this industry. They understand the notion of giving away a steady amount of minor free content in the interests of gaining big profit from their shop and expansions.

This dosen't make them evil or anything, it just means they are a business.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by rygard49

"Check out our FREE game with FREE updates! Only $60 to play completely for FREE! And of course you can unlock additional FREE features and advantages by using our cash shop!"

I swear, if you say the word 'Free' enough about your product, people will pay anything to get their hands on it, and will throw money at you to support it being free. But hey, these guys are responsible and altruistic.

It's more free than $15 a month for updates.

That's rationalization for you. And nonsense.

There aren't degrees of a product being free. Either you paid something for it, or you paid nothing. I gaurantee that someone is paying for the content. They're not doing this out of the kindness of their hearts, or out of any sense of 'responsibility', despite what their PR will tell you.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Who are these guys kidding? Content isn't free. It is paid for by the few % who dump a crap load of money into the game. Now you may think this is a good idea as you get to play for cheap while others support your broke arse ... but this always bites you in the ass with f2p games as the entire game slowly becomes engineered to support those who fork over the money. Actual free to play players will start seeing themselves gated out of nearly every high end feature.

I'll give Anet props though ... they are successfully brain washing their playerbase into thinking they provide a charity service to wanting gamers. The truth is that they are here to make money and their payment structure will start reflecting this as the months go by. F2p is the utlimate carrot on a stick. That is the entire foundation of the concept.

except this isn't a f2p game.

Evreyone who is playing bought it.

So there isn't a few percent of people as everyone playing ponied up their money.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Aent is hitting their competition, namely the Subcription model in general, at every opportunity!

They are REALLY trying to sell/push on the whole "why pay for THAT game with a sub fee when you can get all THIS from US for free?"

I happen to agree with them, and have already spent 40$ on gems lol so they've got almost 3 months sub fee out of me already... after less than 2 weeks! Sneaky bastards...

And there's the little fly in the ointment. Since quite a few gamers hold mutli-subscriptions, GW2's model just means that many more of their customers can go dabble about in their competition's game worlds without worrying about the loyalty leash of a subscription fee.

And since its been proven time and time again that many MMO gamers will throw money away faster than drunks throwing one quid notes to strippers at a bachelor/bachelorette party, the cash shop model is just the better way to recoup profit as they know now that a siginificant number of their player base can be hit up for far more money, far quicker, than just waiting and hoping on sub fees.

So A-nets box price plus optional cash shop is nothing different than ticket price plus absurd refreshment prices at your local cinema. Sure you don't HAVE to buy popcorn and soda at absurdly inflated prices, but the odds are quite good many people will anyway. And companies know this.

So yeah screw your so called benevolence A-net as you guys are just trying to turn a buck like anyone else in the industry. And no there's nothing wrong with that (though A-net seems to be implying it is if you're their competition). But pretending it to be somerthing its not is a bit annoying, not to mention disinginuous.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by tiddy
    Trion's Rift has one year of free QUALITY content on ANET's GW2. So ya......ANET's accusations go the way of the wind.

Who are you and everyone else trying to kid when they say a SUBSCRIPTION game is giving you content for free.

Here's the breakdown... GW2 is giving free content, it's free because when we bought the game we had no facts saying we would be getting anymore content included in that price. When people buy gems with real money they buy it for the reason they bought the gems in the first place.. they do not buy gems hoping for more content and they arn't funding other players because they made a decision and got what they paid for. When anyone spends money on GW2 they know exactly what they were getting for that money before the spent it, and they get it. These planned free updates are 100% free. If you can't understand that pretty basic concept then you might as well leave the thread right now because you lack the intelligence required to have a proper discussion about this (this isn't directed to the person I've quoted here btw, I just mean in general).

When you are paying $15 a month to play a game.. no content updates are free. Those updates to Rift, while better than what most other sub MMOs do, are costing you $15 a month. Even if you just start playing the game now you still have to pay for those updates. To start with you will have got that content for less than someone who has been playing the game a lot longer, but you still end up paying something for it as soon as the first free 30 days are over and pay to have access to it. If you think updates in a sub MMO are free then you need an education. 

Also of note, the gem store in GW2 is not supporting these free updates. The free updates will be supporting the gem store. Popular game = more chance of 'optional' gem sales. The free content will bring more people and keep people playing.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Originally posted by Omnifish

Oh dear, rod and back spring to mind...

This is possibly the most idiotic Paul Barnett level thing he could ever say.  How is the game going to be supported by free content exactly? How is that responsible, when we all know it' make no sense to give away major content releases for free?

It makes little sense, profitwise, so saying this just means people will beat ANET with a stick when the inevitable DLC packs come out.

The games good enough to support ongoing large updates that are paid for, don't try and make yourselves out as self imposed philanthophric saviours of the genre.  It'll just blow up in your face.

I wonder what companies like Trion have to say about this. Anet being the only responsible company right now. It was a really below the belt kind of statement really.

ANet never said they were the only responsible company. They said, "This is what responsible companies do". For all we know, they consider Trion a responsible company, considering no developer was directly targeted.

As to omnifish's post.

Did you read Colin's post? Nah I didn't think so.

"On top of a large amount of free bonus content, we will be expanding on offerings in the Black Lion Trading Company going forward, as well as be doing large-scale expansion content down the road."

So, they will offer some free content, and some payable content. Or, some content to keep the players happy, then some content to keep them in buisness. 

Is that so hard to believe?

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

And that is why WE love Arena Net, they care for they players first and profit after. Thats why they made best MMO.

Look at Bioware and Funcom they are only trying to milk the players, ToR going F2P with probably paid content updates and TSW has cash shop + sub + box fee, no wonder they sold only 200k copies.

Find a new hobby if you can't afford a sub, and free content, what 30 seconds worth and bug ridden... like the game is now, I can't belive people actually call this a MMO, when people are all Anti Social like the first one, it wasn't even an MMo. LOl//

I love how people say Good job to a company that had a poor release this proves to me that todays gamers, are cheap and won't pay for anything good...

so Sad, I already see alot of fans whining about the game and in game is Troll heaven no community what so ever.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by L0C0Man
    Good to know I won't have to pay for any expansions from this "responsible" company! Yay!!

Most likely you'll need to play for expansions, but they did say long time ago (I think it was may or june, I'll hunt the links later) that GW2 will have a live team that will try to release new content monthly,  and that all content produced by the live team will be free, so probably that's what he means there.

Oh, I see. Well then this is weird because just about every MMO I have ever played provided free content in addition to actual paid expansions. So I'm a little confused what the "news" is.

Or is it, since the game is B2P, some people expected that what was released at launch was ALL the content they'd get until the next paid expansion?

So, all of your previous MMO experience is with either B2P or F2P games?  Because I wouldn't consider content put out every so often in a P2P game as "free content".  You are paying for them to develop that content by paying your subscription.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

Originally posted by Darkcrystal

Find a new hobby if you can't afford a sub, and free content, what 30 seconds worth and bug ridden... like the game is now, I can't belive people actually call this a MMO, when people are all Anti Social like the first one, it wasn't even an MMo. LOl//

I love how people say Good job to a company that had a poor release this proves to me that todays gamers, are cheap and won't pay for anything good...

so Sad, I already see alot of fans whining about the game and in game is Troll heaven no community what so ever.

Well, some people don't pay for subs on principle.  I personally think they are a waste of money and just a money grab nowadays from games that require one to play.

Poor release????  What games this year had a better release with the amount of players GW2 has?

And I don't know what server you're on (if indeed you actually play the game - what's your main char's name btw?) but Jade Quarry has a very lively community with very little trolling.

Nice try, though.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I get more than $15 worth from WoW that I won't get from a sub-free game like GW2...for instance, people will actually talk to each other in WoW ;P  /sarcasm :)
  • rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by evolver1972
    Originally posted by L0C0Man
    Good to know I won't have to pay for any expansions from this "responsible" company! Yay!!

Most likely you'll need to play for expansions, but they did say long time ago (I think it was may or june, I'll hunt the links later) that GW2 will have a live team that will try to release new content monthly,  and that all content produced by the live team will be free, so probably that's what he means there.

Oh, I see. Well then this is weird because just about every MMO I have ever played provided free content in addition to actual paid expansions. So I'm a little confused what the "news" is.

Or is it, since the game is B2P, some people expected that what was released at launch was ALL the content they'd get until the next paid expansion?

So, all of your previous MMO experience is with either B2P or F2P games?  Because I wouldn't consider content put out every so often in a P2P game as "free content".  You are paying for them to develop that content by paying your subscription.

And the "free" content in GW2 will be paid for by cash shop revenue.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by rojo6934

absolutely, but NCSOFT didnt affect GW1 negatively so i doubt they will do it with GW2 specially after the successful sales so early.

EDIT: i may be wrong but ANET has more control over its own game than NCSOFT as its publisher

Yes you are wrong ArenaNet is a wholly-owned subsidiary of NCsoft, so NCsoft is not just the publisher but own arenanet.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    It would be awesome if they released content like DCU did, allowing you to play and pay for the conent you want.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

"Check out our FREE game with FREE updates! Only $60 to play completely for FREE! And of course you can unlock additional FREE features and advantages by using our cash shop!"

I swear, if you say the word 'Free' enough about your product, people will pay anything to get their hands on it, and will throw money at you to support it being free. But hey, these guys are responsible and altruistic.

It's more free than $15 a month for updates.

That's rationalization for you. And nonsense.

There aren't degrees of a product being free. Either you paid something for it, or you paid nothing. I gaurantee that someone is paying for the content. They're not doing this out of the kindness of their hearts, or out of any sense of 'responsibility', despite what their PR will tell you.

So, what do I get if you're wrong?  I mean, you're throwing out guarantees, and they usually come with something to back it up.

Anyway, you can't have it both ways.  So many people have talked about how Anet won't make enough money to keep the game going without subscriptions.  Even with a mostly cosmetic/xp boost CS.  Most people agree that the box price A) recoups their production costs of the original game and B) fund development of further expansions (at least the upfront costs).  Most everyone also agrees that the CS won't bring in as much as a sub on average so it's just there to offset some costs.  Now, I agree that the content is paid for in terms of Anet has to pay to develop it.  But, as I'm sure everyone here knows, it is being given to the players for free.  Which means to me that the costs of developing and implementing these free content updates was built into the original price for the game.  That makes the game an even better value than first thought.

Is it a marketing tool?  Sure.  To keep you interested to buy their expansions.  They are a business to sure, but they've apparently made the decision that they don't need $billions to keep the business successful.

Originally posted by Silok

absolutely, but NCSOFT didnt affect GW1 negatively so i doubt they will do it with GW2 specially after the successful sales so early.

EDIT: i may be wrong but ANET has more control over its own game than NCSOFT as its publisher

Yes you are wrong ArenaNet is a wholly-owned subsidiary of NCsoft, so NCsoft is not just the publisher but own arenanet.

You are correct, but NCSoft takes a very hands-off approach to Anet, from what i understand.  Anet is very autonomous in their decision making.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    @ evolver, as is evidenced by the top notch quality at GW2.
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Originally posted by fundayz
    Originally posted by Omnifish

Oh dear, rod and back spring to mind...

This is possibly the most idiotic Paul Barnett level thing he could ever say.  How is the game going to be supported by free content exactly? How is that responsible, when we all know it' make no sense to give away major content releases for free?

It makes little sense, profitwise, so saying this just means people will beat ANET with a stick when the inevitable DLC packs come out.

The games good enough to support ongoing large updates that are paid for, don't try and make yourselves out as self imposed philanthophric saviours of the genre.  It'll just blow up in your face.

Did you even read the post? He said SOME, not all, content will be free. It's almost a fact by now that there will be paid DLC and expansions.

I ask you, what's the purpose of this thread?

ALL MMORPGs develop free content.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by evolver1972
    Originally posted by Silok

You are correct, but NCSoft takes a very hands-off approach to Anet, from what i understand.  Anet is very autonomous in their decision making.

In my experience, when a company is own by another one, the parent compagny has the last word on the decisions. Sure arenanet may decide when it come for hire employees or any trivial things like this, but when it come for marketing and money decisions NCsoft probably have the last word. Or maibe they have the green light to most of the decisions unless they screw up.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Guys, just STOP for a moment.

There's no use arguing that the content updates are NOT actually FREE. One way or another they are paid for by the playerbase. The difference is they won't charge for them directly (i.e. you don't have to pay to unlock this dungeon). How much we're supposed to commend them on this initiative is largely dependent on the quality and size of the "free" updates. Until we get to experience these promised free updates, we can't tell yet how different they are from LOTRO, CO, RIFT, etc. For all we know these many free updates aren't worth $5 (each) to begin with. It remains to be seen. This isn't the time yet to go all "Hallelujiah" over ANet. I think they deserve our thumbs up though.

Plus, they'll also expand their offerings in the CS, so expect PAYABLE content. We don't know at this point though what these new offerings will be, but I'm hoping they keep it in the spirit of what the CS has now (i.e. NO unlockable dungeons and campaigns). Also expect PAID expansions.

The scenario will be very much like a P2P game (i.e. RIFT). Frequent updates with no additional cost, and then paid expansions. What's interesting here is that in P2P games, players are paying a subscription so that's a clear source of funds for these updates. With B2P however, there's inconsistency with the CS revenue, yet they're planning on monthly(?) content update. It's really interesting to see if they can keep this up especially on times when there's low revenue from CS.

Lastly, I don't think they're taking a jab on RIFT. To me what Colin said was that a responsible company would give out (many) new content without additional charges.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    I want xpacs to cost money (which it will). It means more free content as well. The more arenanet makes profit on the better they can make there game. FACT

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore
    I want xpacs to cost money (which it will). It means more free content as well. The more arenanet makes profit on the better they can make there game. FACT

Actually, I'd call that an opinion.  If they made all the money in the world, let's say, they might just all retire instead of improving it.  I would say, in my opinion which differs from yours, that money can help but might not.

What Anet lacks in monthly subs. They make up for in sales numbers and cash shop. How many players do you think paid 60$ + AND bought gems. I would guess near 200k paid 10$ in gems. Thats a guess of 10% population which seems fair. Thats another 2 million profit at no cost to them. This games setup perfectly to be one of the most amazing b2p products ever.

I hated GW2 before i played it. Thought the animation looked bad (still think it does sometimes).

Best leveling experiene of my life. 80 for a week and still spending 24/7 of my downtime in this game. Best 80$ I ever spent on a game. Fact.

Hero Evermore

The better they "can" make there game. :P I didnn't say the better they "will" :P

Hero Evermore

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore

What Anet lacks in monthly subs. They make up for in sales numbers and cash shop. How many players do you think paid 60$ + AND bought gems. I would guess near 200k paid 10$ in gems. Thats a guess of 10% population which seems fair. Thats another 2 million profit at no cost to them. This games setup perfectly to be one of the most amazing b2p products ever.

I hated GW2 before i played it. Thought the animation looked bad (still think it does sometimes).

Best leveling experiene of my life. 80 for a week and still spending 24/7 of my downtime in this game. Best 80$ I ever spent on a game. Fact.

Small money like $10 doesn't make much of a difference. Whales are what you want in your game. The kind of player that plops down $200 every time you make a new "mystery box". In my experience, you would be suprised at how many are willing to pay hundreds on a single game on a regular basis.