Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: 2 Million and Counting

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Nadia

its selling faster than i expected

i didnt think Guild Wars would sell more than 3 million by the end of this year -- 3 months from launch

On top of that, they had digital sales shut off for a week with a lot of stores sold out.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    This figure can't be right, what about all those threads by the doom and gloom brigade digging out arcane stats from xfire and proclaiming "swtor all over again"

:P

Actually, SWTOR sold this much. (2.4 million total to be exact). And yes, xfire ins meaningless for any situation.

As far as doom and gloom goes, i really don't care. But, this really doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, since this isn't te first time an mmorpg sells so much that the company calls it a sucess. Eventually, all of them failed to produce good on-going reveneu.

Will GW2 follow the same fate? Don't know, don't see the future.

I already gave my congratualtion to Anet. As a gamer, i don't care how many they sold. It doesn't point me to teh actuall quality of the game itself which is all that anyone should really care about. Just like xfire image

EDIT: But i have to say i did not expect the game to sell this much. Cool.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Originally posted by Lethality
    Hehe, no. This game isn't mainstream enough... it has a limited appeal, and there are signs that the foundation has cracks in it (endgame, broken designs, balance.)

According to Anet they want to beat WOW in sales and be number one. I think they know for that they have to go for mass appeal hence mainstream.

I don't think GW2 will come close to MoP in sales.  But I'd sure love it if they did.

Since GW2 includes prepurchase numbers from months prior to release in this "two week" period (lol), I wonder if we include prepurchases for MoP if the WoW expansion has ALREADY outsold GW2 before it even is released :)

I see you repeatedly bring this up, but I'm wondering if things would be any different if GW2 decided to open prepurchase 2 weeks before release? It is to my understanding that people who prepurchased early on are guaranteed to have bought the game anyway. They are the same ones who would have set aside the money for GW2 had prepurchase been not yet available. The people who prepurchased before the BWEs and the release date announcement would also have prepurchased regardless of when they were allowed to do so.

You are right in thinking a pre-purchase is a sale.  However, it isn't possible for us to tell if everyone who pre purchased, would have instead purchased normally if pre purchase wasn't available, within two weeks of release.

Which is why I brought up the comparison.  We'll see some numbers from blizzard I'm sure, and comparing the two weeks after for them, to the two weeks after to gw2, will spark some discussion I'm sure.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Hehe, no. This game isn't mainstream enough... it has a limited appeal, and there are signs that the foundation has cracks in it (endgame, broken designs, balance.)

According to Anet they want to beat WOW in sales and be number one. I think they know for that they have to go for mass appeal hence mainstream.

I don't think GW2 will come close to MoP in sales.  But I'd sure love it if they did.

I think that GW2 may surpass MoP with time, but I think that WoW has a huge fanbase right now that will just buy any expansion that comes out.  So initially, I agree with you that MoP will surpass GW2's sales.

But in the long run...I think GW2 may wind up on top, it just needs some time to build up a fanbase.  It will be interesting to see how GW2's first expansion sells when compared with Blizz's followup to MoP.

Very true! . I love GW2 but I still play other games including WoW and I'm sure thousands of the GW2 fans will purchase MoP. 

It's very sad that we all are lovers of mmorpgs, and yet some us have to bash the success of another title. Some folks should honestly go back and look through their forum history and take a look at what they say. I looked a recent poster and almost all of his 900 or so posts were of degrading GW2 and other games. What happen to the human nature of just being happy?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Eir_S

How did I know there would be people in this thread acting like 2 million sales is a bad thing?

Seriously, just stop, it's embarrassing.  Way to go, ANet.

Interesting. I found an old quote from you...on SWTOR forums

Exactly.  This is the kind of thing I'd want to see too.  Pre-orders aren't indicative of game quality, nor how many people will stick around after the first month megabuzz of a huge new world to explore.  But by then, most people won't care about numbers, or threads about numbers."I don't care" should be an option.  Launch numbers have never been a good indicator of whether a game will last.
    Guess you have changed your mind when it comes to GW2.

No, I still believe exactly what I wrote.  What I said in this thread is not the opposite of what I said in that one, for starters.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

How did I know there would be people in this thread acting like 2 million sales is a bad thing?

Exactly.  This is the kind of thing I'd want to see too.  Pre-orders aren't indicative of game quality, nor how many people will stick around after the first month megabuzz of a huge new world to explore.  But by then, most people won't care about numbers, or threads about numbers."I don't care" should be an option.  Launch numbers have never been a good indicator of whether a game will last.

No, I still believe exactly what I wrote.  What I said in this thread is not the opposite of what I said in that one, for starters.

You down played sales of SWTOR by saying that pre orders and launch numbers mean nothing while here you are getting upset that haters are trying to down play 2 million sales for GW2.

So what exactly you still believe in?

Bite Me

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

You down played sales of SWTOR by saying that pre orders and launch numbers mean nothing while here you are getting upset that haters are trying to down play 2 million sales for GW2.

its kind of creepy that you would search through the guys post history... 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    Congratz GW2!  My prediction is that GW2 will eventually outsell WOW.  It's going to take some time, but a few years and worldwide distribution will probably do the trick.
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Gratz to Anet for this achievement!
    Originally posted by Z3R01

Well when you need some sort of point to prove to bash someone, you have to go to great lengths at times apparently

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I think that a lot of the posters on here would make very good political campaign workers.  Their ability to find dirt on people by looking at ancient history is unsurpassed ;).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by Badaboom

I know right?  It's like people are really pissed off with another games success.

No, not pissed about the success, but definitely don't want what I feel to be an inferior feature set and level of quality to set anhy kind of standard for the industry. It's not an MMO game I like to play, therefore I don't want to see more of them.

Damn even on this forum you continue your negative bits about GW2.  Such a negative person that was blocked by many people on guildwars2guru's forum. You always find a way to spin something positive into something negative. You dont like the game thats pretty obvious so why continue ? Is your life that dull?

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Since GW2 includes prepurchase numbers from months prior to release in this "two week" period (lol), I wonder if we include prepurchases for MoP if the WoW expansion has ALREADY outsold GW2 before it even is released :)

I see you repeatedly bring this up, but I'm wondering if things would be any different if GW2 decided to open prepurchase 2 weeks before release? It is to my understanding that people who prepurchased early on are guaranteed to have bought the game anyway. They are the same ones who would have set aside the money for GW2 had prepurchase been not yet available. The people who prepurchased before the BWEs and the release date announcement would also have prepurchased regardless of when they were allowed to do so.

You are right in thinking a pre-purchase is a sale.  However, it isn't possible for us to tell if everyone who pre purchased, would have instead purchased normally if pre purchase wasn't available, within two weeks of release.

Which is why I brought up the comparison.  We'll see some numbers from blizzard I'm sure, and comparing the two weeks after for them, to the two weeks after to gw2, will spark some discussion I'm sure.

I thought people were able to cancel their pre-purchase? I've read their testimonials in this very forum. Unless they're lying of course.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

i didnt think Guild Wars would sell more than 3 million by the end of this year -- 3 months from launch

On top of that, they had digital sales shut off for a week with a lot of stores sold out.

As harsh a critic as I am of this game I agree with this, let's give it another month or two to see if the shut down caused a little bump in the road.

However since I have to keep my reputation as a GW2 hater intact, while 2 million and counting is an impressive number, I'm still betting (much to my never ending disgust) that MoP's sales numbers are going to roll over these like the Jun Horde.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

I thought people were able to cancel their pre-purchase? I've read their testimonials in this very forum. Unless they're lying of course.

Pre ORDER, perhaps.  Or maybe by screwing over arenanet.  Thing is, a perpurchase is you bought the game, and a pre order is reserving it.

I still believe in the yellowed text, it goes for GW2 and any other MMO.  I never said 2 million sales was "nothing".  I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Did you also see the posts where I congratulated Bioware and SWTOR players for their game's initial sales and popularity?  I guess you missed those.

I'm not seeing the correlation between the two threads. In the first thread she is discussing how others thought 2 million copies wasn't much and the next one you dug out of history is talking about the quality of a game. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Amjoco

I'm not seeing the correlation between the two threads. In the first thread she is discussing how others thought 2 million copies wasn't much and the next one you dug out of history is talking about the quality of a game. 

Agreed, it's a stretch.  A desperate stretch.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

I didn't. Got the metacritic and pre order sales topic bookmarked. Makes avery interesting reading after 6 months or so and obviously some people forget their posting history too often.

Bite Me

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I'm glad I bought it, but I'm not sure anymore that its got the staying power I initially thought it had, its not cutting it 100% for me yet
     I think that a lot of the posters on here would make very good political campaign workers.  Their ability to find dirt on people by looking at ancient history is unsurpassed ;).

I have a 20 page of very interesting  SWTOR topic bookmarked, i don't even need to go through posting history because some posters have been imprinted on my mind because they were in fore front of putting SWTOR down inon every given oppertunity. 

But obviously you got nothign to say about the actual hypocricy that i just pointed out because obviously it doesn't suit your argument. Gotto keep the status quo on forums.

Huh?  It doesn't even suit YOUR argument.  Stop stalking my posts and then trying to use them out of context.

Originally posted by Tardcore

As harsh a critic as I am of this game I agree with this, let's give it another month or two to see if the shut down caused a little bump in the road.

However since I have to keep my reputation as a GW2 hater intact, while 2 million and counting is an impressive number, I'm still betting (much to my never ending disgust) that MoP's sales numbers are going to roll over these like the Jun Horde.

Man o man! Tardcore did you have sex? You seem to be slipping a bit.  lol

I also agree that MoP will outsell GW2. It is just common sense that many folks will want to continue the WoW adventure.  I will be buying a copy myself!

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

I'm sorry but you Sir are a person I would advise others to ignore due to that little incident involving the theft of a packet of bubble gum when you were three and a half years old. image

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Blizzard already does this

when Blizzard anounced "launch day" sales for WOW Cata - that included a month of presales from Blizzards site

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?id=2847886

*Based on internal company records and reports from key distribution partners. Includes digital pre-sales.

when Blizzard announced "launch day" sales for D3, that included 2 months of Presales  (D3 went on sale March 15)

when Blizzard announces "launch day" sales for MOP, it will include 2 months of presales (MOP went on sale July 25)

Blizzard already does this

when Blizzard anounced "launch day" sales for WOW Cata - that included a month of presales from Blizzards site

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?id=2847886

*Based on internal company records and reports from key distribution partners. Includes digital pre-sales.

when Blizzard announced "launch day" sales for D3, that included 2 months of Presales  (D3 went on sale March 15)

when Blizzard announces "launch day" sales for MOP, it will include 2 months of presales (MOP went on sale July 25)

Ok good.  So I still wonder, if MoP has already outsold GW2.