Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: 2 Million and Counting

Comments

• MightyPitMightyPit Member UncommonPosts: 92

Congratz ArenaNet.

For myself, I don't care if the sales numbers compare to those of blizz. I found a new mmo-home, I have really much fun playing the game and hope that it has a bright future.

I love to have a really hard time when trying to do some dynamic events on my own or in a small group. I love that I have to experiment in the crafting window. I love that the legendary weapons are soo hard to get. I love to have the greatest warfare since daoc.

I wish there would be a personal progress within the world vs world warfare, like the realm-ranks in daoc. With some gimmicks to earn while progressing. And I wish the game would have an slower levelspeed. 100 hours until max level is too fast, and i know there are people who are much faster than that.

MMO's played so far:
    UO,EQ,DAOC,EQ2,GW,ROM,WOW,WAR,AOC,LOTRO,RIFT,TSW,GW2,POE
    Looking forward to: Camelot Unchained, Star Citizen

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by TdogSkal
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF
    Originally posted by gravesworn
    Really can we compare it to other mmos as far as financial inqury is concerned? Would we not need to compare it to other non subscription based games? Does anyone know how to find the first two weeks of box sales for wow? I dont know how you to compare a subscription based game over a non subscription based game.

Diablo 3 sold over 3.6 million in 24 hours if you want to compare to non-subscription game. 

just throwing it out there. 

Yea but I think its pretty safe to say that Most of those who bought D3 got it because they loved D2 and had to wait 10+ years for a new Diablo and I think its safe to say that the good majority do not play D3 anymore because it was a crappy game.

So yes Diablo 3 should have out sold Guild Wars 2.  Many more people have been waiting on Diablo 3 then Guild Wars 2.

Its funny how people could compare anything with an iconic series like Diablo.

Obviously a new Diablo will sell more than any other game on PC. What are they at now? Ten million copies sold? 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    Originally posted by Lethality
    Originally posted by tawess
    Does anyone know how to find the first two weeks of box sales for wow?

this is the closest i got

World of Warcraft Is Setting Records

By Rainier Van Autrijve | Dec 1, 2004

Blizzard is trying to keep up as World of Warcraft flies off the shelves.

Blizzard is obviously thrilled by the World of Warcraft success as sales numbers show WoW has broken day-one sales records in North America. World of Warcraft sold over 240,000 copies at retailers in North America on Tuesday, November 23, selling more in its first 24 hours than any other PC game in history.

By the end of the Thanksgiving weekend, World of Warcraft sold a total of over 350,000 copies, with reports from various retail stores that they had completely sold out

You have to compare it to non-sub sales like Diablo III, or even console games... in comparison, these sales numbers pale.

Back in 2004, MMOs weren't any anyone's map, unless you played DAoC, UO, or EQ.  Which was maybe like 500k people...maybe.  WoW put the MMO out to the masses, that's how they got millions to join.  You can't compare first weeks numbers from 2004 to todays games.  The market is infinitely larger than it used to be...500k vs ~15 million...of course you'll sell more today.

Except, sadly, GW2 didn't sell that many more than 2004.  They had MONTHS of additional sales time from pre purchase, as well as a ton of digital orders.  WoW had 24 hours and boxes at stores.

And don't forget WoW wasn't flooded with hundreds of other mmorpg titles on the market in 2004. Not to mention Blizzard was a world wide success with Diablo and Warcraft.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• LethalityLethality Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by tawess

You have to compare it to non-sub sales like Diablo III, or even console games... in comparison, these sales numbers pale.

Why would you do that?  If you are going to compare sales, you need to stick within the genre, which is MMORPG. 

You can't because the revenue models aren't the same... the genre has nothing to do with it.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

How many copies did WoW sell in the first 2 weeks of release? How much end game content did WoW have at release?

Some of you people dont talk apples to apples.

GW2 is hands down a success and will grow, dont really give a crap if it beats WoW or not all I know is that WoW wont ever get another cent from me and that has nothing to do with GW2 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by TdogSkal
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF
    Really can we compare it to other mmos as far as financial inqury is concerned? Would we not need to compare it to other non subscription based games? Does anyone know how to find the first two weeks of box sales for wow? I dont know how you to compare a subscription based game over a non subscription based game.

Diablo 3 sold over 3.6 million in 24 hours if you want to compare to non-subscription game. 

just throwing it out there. 

Yea but I think its pretty safe to say that Most of those who bought D3 got it because they loved D2 and had to wait 10+ years for a new Diablo and I think its safe to say that the good majority do not play D3 anymore because it was a crappy game.

So yes Diablo 3 should have out sold Guild Wars 2.  Many more people have been waiting on Diablo 3 then Guild Wars 2.

7 million total in GW1 sales. Acording to your logic regarding Diablo, GW1 too also has an established fan base so it should have sold a lot more then?

Bite Me

Originally posted by Eir_S

How did I know there would be people in this thread acting like 2 million sales is a bad thing?

Seriously, just stop, it's embarrassing.  Way to go, ANet.

I know right?  It's like people are really pissed off with another games success.

No, not pissed about the success, but definitely don't want what I feel to be an inferior feature set and level of quality to set anhy kind of standard for the industry. It's not an MMO game I like to play, therefore I don't want to see more of them.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by laserit

How many copies did WoW sell in the first 2 weeks of release? How much end game content did WoW have at release?

Some of you people dont talk apples to apples.

GW2 is hands down a success and will grow, dont really give a crap if it beats WoW or not all I know is that WoW wont ever get another cent from me and that has nothing to do with GW2 

*raises hand*

GW2 sold a couple million boxes over several months.  They can't rely on subscriptions, only more boxes and more cash shop.  I'm a bit worried about their success.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    I find it highly amusing how some people are attempting to turn 2 million sales into a bad thing. How pathetic. Well done ArenaNet...that's no small feat. Comparing sales to Blizzard's when Blizzard had tons of titles behind their name before WoW's release...well that's just retarded.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Huh, I thought it'd be more by now.

Congrats Anet!

They'll be getting another big boost when they release in China.

I'm sure other languages/regions will follow too.

I wonder if they'll do a holiday "come play the game all your friends are playing" marketing campaign?

Originally posted by Lydon
    I find it highly amusing how some people are attempting to turn 2 million sales into a bad thing. How pathetic. Well done ArenaNet...that's no small feat. Comparing sales to Blizzard's when Blizzard had tons of titles behind their name before WoW's release...well that's just retarded.

How many MMOs did blizzard have before WoW?  How many for Arenanet before Guild Wars 2?

Originally posted by Nikkita

7 million total in GW1 sales. Acording to your logic regarding Diablo, GW1 too also has an established fan base so it should have sold a lot more then?

Yeah they seem to gloss over this. The minute you say GW1 was a minor game, they say BUT IT SOLD 7 MILLOIN!N!N!#!@!

And as soon as GW2 doesn't sell 7 million, they say NTO AS BIG AS DIABLO LOLOLLO

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

its selling faster than i expected

i didnt think Guild Wars would sell more than 3 million by the end of this year -- 3 months from launch

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Best mmorpg, imo, to launch since 2001.

It's getting great reviews across the board from critics. I know quite a few guilds who have been playing since head start and aside from a few bugs they all still love it.

It deserves the success of over 2 million sold imo, and will continue to grow and have a very healthy playerbase, again imo.

Kudos ArenaNet, you nailed it.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

How did I know there would be people in this thread acting like 2 million sales is a bad thing?

I know right?  It's like people are really pissed off with another games success.

No, not pissed about the success, but definitely don't want what I feel to be an inferior feature set and level of quality to set anhy kind of standard for the industry. It's not an MMO game I like to play, therefore I don't want to see more of them.

Wow...I better check then what kind of game you're heralding in order to prepare myself better for when the time comes that the industry listens to what you want.

Criticisms against GW2's features are fair, but attacking the quality of the game I find hard to understand.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    This figure can't be right, what about all those threads by the doom and gloom brigade digging out arcane stats from xfire and proclaiming "swtor all over again"

:P
  • MightyPitMightyPit Member UncommonPosts: 92

Well Guild Wars 2 has also the fame of Guild Wars behind it. Which is maybe equal to the fame of the warcraft universe when wow hit the shelves back in 2004. The gaming community knows it quite well, the mainstream learns about it by a really offensive marketing. I remember articles in gaming magazines which are more than double in size than those for everquest 2, which was released at the same time. As some former posters wrote: the numbers of sold boxes in the beginning of wow where also not soo impressive. It takes time to grow.

And that's what ArenaNet has still to prove. That the longterm motivation can hold the players.

MMO's played so far:
    UO,EQ,DAOC,EQ2,GW,ROM,WOW,WAR,AOC,LOTRO,RIFT,TSW,GW2,POE
    Looking forward to: Camelot Unchained, Star Citizen

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    Hehe, no. This game isn't mainstream enough... it has a limited appeal, and there are signs that the foundation has cracks in it (endgame, broken designs, balance.)

According to Anet they want to beat WOW in sales and be number one. I think they know for that they have to go for mass appeal hence mainstream.

I don't think GW2 will come close to MoP in sales.  But I'd sure love it if they did.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Hehe, no. This game isn't mainstream enough... it has a limited appeal, and there are signs that the foundation has cracks in it (endgame, broken designs, balance.)

According to Anet they want to beat WOW in sales and be number one. I think they know for that they have to go for mass appeal hence mainstream.

I don't think GW2 will come close to MoP in sales.  But I'd sure love it if they did.

Since GW2 includes prepurchase numbers from months prior to release in this "two week" period (lol), I wonder if we include prepurchases for MoP if the WoW expansion has ALREADY outsold GW2 before it even is released :)

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Well deserved and I wish them the best. My experience so far has been dame near flawless. They definetly put out a high quality product dispite some issues a small percent of players have had.

Gratz!

• petespripetespri Member Posts: 15

It's funny how Kade and Lethality keep repeating the same stuff... "you cant compare numbers from 2004"... then in the same breath saying "WoW sells more".  Hypocritical!

I think everyone understands that WoW has a cult following for sure, and they have built their game fan-base since 2004.  Kudos to them, I liked it in TBC and Wrath and had a good time.  Unfortunately it is boring for me now and I need a change of quests and pvp, and GW2 does a great job at both.

As people tire of wow, which the numbers show, I'm expecting GW2 to keep growing.   Will it trump WoW?  It would take quite some time, so no, not for a while... wow is still king, if you are looking at total numbers. 

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I think that GW2 may surpass MoP with time, but I think that WoW has a huge fanbase right now that will just buy any expansion that comes out.  So initially, I agree with you that MoP will surpass GW2's sales.

But in the long run...I think GW2 may wind up on top, it just needs some time to build up a fanbase.  It will be interesting to see how GW2's first expansion sells when compared with Blizz's followup to MoP.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Congrats, it really is the best mmo I've played in years. Finally, an mmo that comes out with all the bells and whistles, so much depth, and it's free to play?? :) Congrats ArenaNet, job well done.

Last I checked $60 isn't F2P.  It just isn't subscription based.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

Interesting. I found an old quote from you...on SWTOR forums

Exactly.  This is the kind of thing I'd want to see too.  Pre-orders aren't indicative of game quality, nor how many people will stick around after the first month megabuzz of a huge new world to explore.  But by then, most people won't care about numbers, or threads about numbers."I don't care" should be an option.  Launch numbers have never been a good indicator of whether a game will last.
    Guess you have changed your mind when it comes to GW2.

Bite Me

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Since GW2 includes prepurchase numbers from months prior to release in this "two week" period (lol), I wonder if we include prepurchases for MoP if the WoW expansion has ALREADY outsold GW2 before it even is released :)

I see you repeatedly bring this up, but I'm wondering if things would be any different if GW2 decided to open prepurchase 2 weeks before release? It is to my understanding that people who prepurchased early on are guaranteed to have bought the game anyway. They are the same ones who would have set aside the money for GW2 had prepurchase been not yet available. The people who prepurchased before the BWEs and the release date announcement would also have prepurchased regardless of when they were allowed to do so.