Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: 2 Million and Counting

Comments

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by gravesworn
    Really can we compare it to other mmos as far as financial inqury is concerned? Would we not need to compare it to other non subscription based games? Does anyone know how to find the first two weeks of box sales for wow? I dont know how you to compare a subscription based game over a non subscription based game.

Diablo 3 sold over 3.6 million in 24 hours if you want to compare to non-subscription game. 

just throwing it out there. 

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Sky's the limit ANet. Freaking amazing game.

First time in a long time I can actually say - I LOVE THIS GAME!!

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by fatboy21007
    Look out WoW,  some1 is gaining steam XD

WoW has more subscribers than GW2 ever will

Not that GW2 will have any subscribers, but they'll never have as many players as WoW does.  Still, the expansions that everyone called a failure sold more than this in a single day...just saying...

PS I love cataclysm, it made leveling up a new alt fun again.

Edit: Mists of Pandaria already has more pre-orders...It's set to beat Diablo 3 in first day sales record...again, just sayin'...

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by volvoxaureus
    this game had so much hype and still didn't broke the record 3.5 millions in the first 24h....

Don't forget, a lot of the initial first sales were prepurchases months earlier.  The other stuff people went and bought at the store on the first day.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Does anyone know how to find the first two weeks of box sales for wow?

this is the closest i got

World of Warcraft Is Setting Records

By Rainier Van Autrijve | Dec 1, 2004

Blizzard is trying to keep up as World of Warcraft flies off the shelves.

Blizzard is obviously thrilled by the World of Warcraft success as sales numbers show WoW has broken day-one sales records in North America. World of Warcraft sold over 240,000 copies at retailers in North America on Tuesday, November 23, selling more in its first 24 hours than any other PC game in history.

By the end of the Thanksgiving weekend, World of Warcraft sold a total of over 350,000 copies, with reports from various retail stores that they had completely sold out

BC sold 3.5 mil units it's first month as far as io could find.

This have been a good conversation

• LethalityLethality Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by tawess

Blizzard is obviously thrilled by the World of Warcraft success as sales numbers show WoW has broken day-one sales records in North America. World of Warcraft sold over 240,000 copies at retailers in North America on Tuesday, November 23, selling more in its first 24 hours than any other PC game in history.

By the end of the Thanksgiving weekend, World of Warcraft sold a total of over 350,000 copies, with reports from various retail stores that they had completely sold out

You have to compare it to non-sub sales like Diablo III, or even console games... in comparison, these sales numbers pale.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    yeah back in the days that was massive.

This have been a good conversation

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

How did I know there would be people in this thread acting like 2 million sales is a bad thing?

Seriously, just stop, it's embarrassing.  Way to go, ANet.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Lethality

You have to compare it to non-sub sales like Diablo III, or even console games... in comparison, these sales numbers pale.

Why would you do that?  If you are going to compare sales, you need to stick within the genre, which is MMORPG. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Kilmar
    Guardian lvl 80, don't understand the hype at all.

I think the hype was even after 80 the game wasn't over. How is your crafting, is your map and all acheivements complete, pets dyes, WvWvW, sPVP? There are many, many things to do besides hit max level imho.

I have about 160 hours or more in the game and have only completed about 38% of the map. And of that 38% I haven't adventured or done all the achievements in it. My to main crafting disciplines are only at about 200 and gathering is challenging.

Little article to read. I'm sure it won't motivate you to press on but it may. ;)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

That's cool.

GW2 is a good game.

Grats.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Back in 2004, MMOs weren't on anyone's map, unless you played DAoC, UO, or EQ.  Which was maybe like 500k people...maybe.  WoW put the MMO out to the masses, that's how they got millions to join.  You can't compare first weeks numbers from 2004 to todays games.  The market is infinitely larger than it used to be...500k vs ~15 million...of course you'll sell more today.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Really can we compare it to other mmos as far as financial inqury is concerned? Would we not need to compare it to other non subscription based games? Does anyone know how to find the first two weeks of box sales for wow? I dont know how you to compare a subscription based game over a non subscription based game.

Login queues and massive systemwide server instabilities/daily crashes for several months?  Unable (at any price) to acquire more server hardware?

Situations, again, are not remotely similar--and comparisons futile.

But you know, that's never stopped a gamer from arguing numbers :)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Grats ANet...awesome game that I really want to succeed so that we can see a bunch of high quality expansions down the road :).

Also, I think it's hilarious that there are a bunch of people in here trying to spin 2 million sales negatively somehow.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Eir_S

How did I know there would be people in this thread acting like 2 million sales is a bad thing?

I know right?  It's like people are really pissed off with another games success.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Back in 2004, MMOs weren't any anyone's map, unless you played DAoC, UO, or EQ.  Which was maybe like 500k people...maybe.  WoW put the MMO out to the masses, that's how they got millions to join.  You can't compare first weeks numbers from 2004 to todays games.  The market is infinitely larger than it used to be...500k vs ~15 million...of course you'll sell more today.

Except, sadly, GW2 didn't sell that many more than 2004.  They had MONTHS of additional sales time from pre purchase, as well as a ton of digital orders.  WoW had 24 hours and boxes at stores.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Hehe, no. This game isn't mainstream enough... it has a limited appeal, and there are signs that the foundation has cracks in it (endgame, broken designs, balance.)

According to Anet they want to beat WOW in sales and be number one. I think they know for that they have to go for mass appeal hence mainstream.

But the design *isn't* mainstream. It tries to be, but falls short in the general appeal.

Hey God, *Waves*

Btw I made it to level 80, still having a blast however, I don't play as much as I did getting to 80 because I'm working on my alts, I still got to much ish to do on my 80(39% world completion, getting my legendaries, only did 4 of 8 dungeon story modes, haven't done explorable, haven't unlocked all my skills, still gotta get my build going only one trait line going).

Orr is fun btw so is the level 70-80 zone I like fighting the claw of jormag.

Incentive to do these things are subjective, by the way can you tell me when the world is ending, I want to know before hand so I can pre plan my going away letter that no one will see.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Originally posted by Eir_S

I never said it was a bad thing.  Others were saying it's the greatest sales success ever, or at least acting like it, but it's far from it.  I plan on getting GW2 on the 25th, and playing that along side WoW and Rift.

• wutaewutae Member UncommonPosts: 74

ER CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN, BY SAYING UNITS, DO THEY MEAN, BOXES?

Because if that is true, they had 1 mill pre-purchases, and 2 million boxes, as well as from the 20 members of my guild 3 of them prepurchased, and 17 of them ordered digitally, so by pure speculation we can easily say that they have sold (putting random number here)  lets say 6 million ? OR 2 millions units, means 2 million total accounts?

The tip for
    The win is
    cooperation.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Congrats to ANET and foolish me for thinking there would be no "how many people are subbed" arguments.
  • TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

Diablo 3 sold over 3.6 million in 24 hours if you want to compare to non-subscription game. 

Yea but I think its pretty safe to say that Most of those who bought D3 got it because they loved D2 and had to wait 10+ years for a new Diablo and I think its safe to say that the good majority do not play D3 anymore because it was a crappy game.

So yes Diablo 3 should have out sold Guild Wars 2.  Many more people have been waiting on Diablo 3 then Guild Wars 2.

Sooner or Later

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Grats ANet...awesome game that I really want to succeed so that we can see a bunch of high quality expansions down the road :).

Also, I think it's hilarious that there are a bunch of people in here trying to spin 2 million sales negatively somehow.

Lol it's amusing.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    I wish I could take back my purchase. But it's not sub game so I can't :O
  • wutaewutae Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Originally posted by TdogSkal
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

Yea but I think its pretty safe to say that Most of those who bought D3 got it because they loved D2 and had to wait 10+ years for a new Diablo and I think its safe to say that the good majority do not play D3 anymore because it was a crappy game.

So yes Diablo 3 should have out sold Guild Wars 2.  Many more people have been waiting on Diablo 3 then Guild Wars 2.

as i said 2 posts above, diablo 3 sold 3.6 million accounts, not boxes, can someone try to confirm my question ?

The tip for
    The win is
    cooperation.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

Congrats Arenanet.

I hope they release numbers in a couple of months time as to how many of those 2 million are still around. That will be the big cruncher, It is an MMO after all.  Lets hope that people don't leave after the first couple of months like they did in SWTOR, or most themeparks; although, I can't see it not happening really, especially with MoP releasing.

But that doesn't take away from GW2's huge success, congrats.