Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: 2 Million and Counting

1111213141517»

Comments

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

I loved GW1, and it was not for everyone but those who enjoyed it really enjoyed it and now as far as GW2 this far into release I can say Anet has most definitely broadened their player base in a way that has not diluted any one part of the game so that EVERYONE can enjoy it and find fun and excitement in the game.  This, to me is what really shines.  They have made an incredibly polished, all round mmo, that mmo players and general gamers crave.

I know that the game will only get bigger and better as time goes on and the community grows.  It's a totaly breath of fresh air to play this game and experience its community.  Everyone is so releived to be part of a gaming community where people want to play together, want to help each other out, socialize, strategize, and in a way there is a healthy cooperative competition.

Arenanet really does deserve all great things said about their game and their efforts.  They have amazing talent and devotion to their games, and as I played Gw1 throughout the years I have really seen their love for what they do shine and it is what makes them successful.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

nm

• logandwjlogandwj Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by rdrakken
    Originally posted by maestro48239
    yea... if NCSoft wants to impress me, they'll do something to Keep CoH alive, their decision to shut down a profitable game, because it doesnt meet up with their "new focus" burns me up

And how exactly was CoH profitable? Few players and most of them were playing for free...all freemium games deserve a slow death for their trying to make a quick buck on a game that wasnt good enough to maintain paying customers. Either go F2P and create a shop with micro-transactions that actually make money...or die like the game should have.

I could tell you how much new content we were getting, how happy the devs were with the results but it is better to let one of the members of Paragon Studios say it, don't you agree?

Andy Belford: "Freedom brought a new life to City of Heroes. The game was, and still is, alive and vibrant with more new players joining the fight every day. It's important to know that Freedom wasn't a failure. This really is a refocusing of direction from NCsoft and unfortunately, Paragon didn't fit into that vision. Collectively, we hold no ill will towards NCsoft and thank them for many years of support."

Source: http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=295790

So... no... going F2 P was actually helping CoH... things were looking up so much that they were financing a second project, they had plans for story lines and more content that spawned for years still. The same day of the announcement, just 1 hour before it, they shared more sneak peeks of the upcoming issue 24.

City of Heroes was not a giant. But it was steady. And it's sales were in the black. Paragon Studios was caught completely blindsided by NCSoft's move to shut them down. There was literally NO WARNING.

There were no indications that the game was doing poorly at all. The devs were all wildly enthusiastic about the upcoming release of Issue 24. It was an update that addressed many many issues brought up by players over the years. I24 was adding major new content, new powersets. And there was a major tweak in the effectiveness of older powersets and archetypes such as the blaster. (For example, if I24 had gone live, you would have been able to build a true "gun-fu" blaster with Dual Pistols/Martial Melee powersets.)

NCSoft most likely killed City of Heroes because some of it's other games were hemorraging sales massively, such as AION. Also - GW2 being delayed and the massive costs in promoting it were hurting them. (Not blaming GW2 directly. That's not Arenanet's fault. That's mismanagement on NCsoft's end.)

COH was still profitable. It just wasn't profitable ENOUGH to suit NCSoft. And some executive likely was worried about his "golden parachute" and had to "take action" that would satisfy the stockholders.

Notice that COH shut off date is November 30th. And the new financial quarter starts on Dec 1st. Think that's a coincidence? I don't.

NCsoft as a primarily S.Korean company appears not to understand the Western Market and what works here. As they are shuttering a still-profitable Western themed MMO. They are planning to bring "Blade and Soul" over to western markets. Apparently not having learned the lesson that Asian Style "Grinders" do not do well here.

As I mentioned up-thread, I sincerely hope that Arenanet has some form of "escape clause" that would allow them to continue to keep GW2 alive as an independent studio in the increasingly likely scenario that NCSoft will pull completely out of the Western market within a couple of years. Otherwise they run the risk of becoming MMO kill #6 in NCsoft's score.

-Logan
    ----------
    "Wake UP! Time for SCIENCE!"
    -Adam Savage "Mythbusters"
    ----------