Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: 2 Million and Counting

Comments

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Nitth

The problem here is they have orchestrated it in such a way that this number will ever decline. "2million units sold" 90% of the population could leave and it still would be "2 million units sold"

Not orchestrated as you said - they did sell 2 million copies period. That is what they are making their money on besides CS. Since there is no Sub fee, you can't look at that.

Rememebr GW1 still has people playing it 7 yrs after it was released.

Don't see the big deal, SWTOR had 2mil box sales, so what, noone considers that a successful MMO.  This number doesn't really mean much.  My guess is they will end up somewhere in the 3mil total boxes sold, I don't think there will be a very large active playerbase in 3 to 6 months though, end of the day it will be a niche MMO that is very well done if that is what your looking for in a game.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by fatboy21007
    Look out WoW,  some1 is gaining steam XD

WoW has more subscribers than GW2 ever will

(not a GW2 fanboi either)

wanna get technical, it toke wow a lot longer to sell 2 million copies. but who really cares, lets go play some games and have fun!

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Becuase the game is B2P, it doesn't matter whether or not it retains its players (which I am sure it will retain most). Of course, you could say the cash shop won't make any money. They just made 60 million in two weeks... and more if counting cash shop sales already. So I am not worried. It doesmake for a great second MMO, if not first like cheap me, and thanks to its B2P model, it will always be on someones minds (and in there wallet).
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by zaylin

(not a GW2 fanboi either)

wanna get technical, it toke wow a lot longer to sell 2 million copies. but who really cares, lets go play some games and have fun!

Most people are still playing Super ForumPVP 64 Hyper Championship Edition.  It has a lot of subscribers.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Tardcore
    Originally posted by IceAge
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I have done no research so I'm only repeating numebrs that have been thrown around here for years.

If GW2, has currently sold 2M boxes, how many boxes has WoW sold?

If 10M players bought the original game plus 3, now 4 expanisons, we are looking at not 10M boxes but multiples of 10M boxes.

Like what 40M boxes over the years?

It is estimated WoW sold between 60-80 million boxes.

It's a VERY bad estimation. People from Asia does not buy boxes, you got that?

Fair enough. So we'll also disregard GW2 sales when it hits Asia as well then. Right?

Again guys this is a silly conversation. All we can get from the current evidence at hand is that GW2 has made some significant sales at launch. So financially they currently look to be doing pretty darn good. Now if they had only pushed something absurd like 100k units that would be different. As it stands now they've had a good start. Where they go from here in continued market appeal and player retention is something we will just have to wait and see on, until we can get some concrete evidence on how sales and the playerbase is shaking out. Anything else is right now is just pissing in the wind.

You know dam well, you will never see a player retention number from Arena Net. It's more important to focus on the box sales.

Look at GW1 boxed sales figures. What was it 6-7M? But that's not entirely accurate due to duplication because included the expansions. Not only did it include the expansinons, I remeber very well, the package deals where for the price of the expansion, you got the previous ones included. Guess what, that counted as 3 boxes. So what if you already had GW1 at home. thats even better now you are at 4 boxes. Certainly, that wasn't the case for every player, but for many it sure was.

So while people love to use WoW's 10-12M subs and compare it to GW1's 7M boxes, it's entirely inaccurate, because WoW sold boxes in the tens of millions over the years too.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Grats Anet
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by silverreign

since the game isnt sub based, the box sales vs actual people playing are deceiving. i bought the game but i am not playing anymore. yet my box sale is being considered as a playing member. 2 million box sales doesnt exactly mean 2 million people playing

And because it is not sub-based, it only serves to be in Anet's favor - because they set no expectations for post box sale earnings.

Which means in their calculation, what the box sale alone is already accounted in to cover the cost and they need not worry about maintaining sub levels to make money.

So by players buying the boxes and not playing it only serves to benefit them (or at least not harm them much) since they need to account for less players and they already made the money off you though the box sales.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I have to say...I'm having a great time.  Really enjoying the game. 

I'd bla bla bla but I want to jump into the game and play a little bit before bed.  Later-

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by bestever

I sure hope so since GW2 doesnt have a SUB LOL dumb ***

Yes that was the joke, thanks for the name calling :)

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

You know dam well, you will never see a player retention number from Arena Net. It's more important to focus on the box sales.

Look at GW1 boxed sales figures. What was it 6-7M? But that's not entirely accurate due to duplication because included the expansions. Not only did it include the expansinons, I remeber very well, the package deals where for the price of the expansion, you got the previous ones included. Guess what, that counted as 3 boxes. So what if you already had GW1 at home. thats even better now you are at 4 boxes. Certainly, that wasn't the case for every player, but for many it sure was.

So while people love to use WoW's 10-12M subs and compare it to GW1's 7M boxes, it's entirely inaccurate, because WoW sold boxes in the tens of millions over the years too.

You're a bit off on with your assesment there. By December 2008, GW1 had nearly 6 million unique accounts. That's not box sales. That's unique accounts and a lot of those accounts probably had multiple campaigns linked to them.

Edit: also consider that Blizzard doesn't charge box prices or subscription fees in their Asian market.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

As "devil advocate" I must say I have installed GW2 few days ago and enjoying it a lot. And will for sure stay on my hard disk.

As my main games are Swtor, Wow and Rift, so I will be in GW2 up to max 25th sept. Pandas then Rift expansion.

But still i think GW2 is very good game for being not sub based. But is true have 7 alts between 5th and 8th level. And so far it looks cash shops are really only cosmetic, have spent only 20€ for 2 more slots, 1 more will as I know myself follow pretty soon. 

I never liked attitude, coming from any side even if wow haters account up to 95%), about anything should kill anything.

I hope all this great games and more stay.

Main  problem are cheap people that would love to live to the end of thier days on account of somebody else, i.e. parents, partners, ... They have 10 time money for smoke or drinks ... but not for enjoying good games.

• arm0sarm0s Member UncommonPosts: 12
    GW2 is more than just a game ... it's a lifestyle now. WoW on the other hand is something that so many people are used to playing, that is the the only reason it still has that many people playing it, not because it's a good game. Wow is alright but GW2 is simply AMAZING 5 man Story Mode instances are suppoes to be like a NORMAL dungeon in Wow but Story modes are as hard as the end game raids in WOW and when we talk about Explorable mode instances in GW2 its even harder than any raids in ANY mmo's out there. 2 million shows that people are getting used to with the combat system and with the fact that they will die ALOt in the game and with the fact that they need to look out for themselves( no dedicated healers calsses nor tanks ). to survive in the world on Tyria u need skill and loads of cordination. plus the Cummunity is shapeing up to be the most amazing i have never seen before. No eliteism which kills the community .. no grind .. just loads of fun .. thats Gw2 baby ... it's lifestyle.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by arm0s
    GW2 is more than just a game ... it's a lifestyle now. .

Define lifestyle. From what I can see it is so?

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608

You mean the 4 or 5 Millions EU/NA customers or the rest from Asia?

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by stratasaurus
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Nitth

Don't see the big deal, SWTOR had 2mil box sales, so what, noone considers that a successful MMO.  This number doesn't really mean much.  My guess is they will end up somewhere in the 3mil total boxes sold, I don't think there will be a very large active playerbase in 3 to 6 months though, end of the day it will be a niche MMO that is very well done if that is what your looking for in a game.

Some points to be made here 

A) SWTOR was a StarWars game and StarWars is probably the biggest franchise in the world at the moment so it was bound to sell well. I would argue also that had StarWars TOR been buy to play ( as it should have been ) it would hav sold more and been considered a success .

B) Guild Wars 1 made nowhere near the impact Guild Wars 2 has and it sold 7 millon boxes sales . So your estimate of three million I would think so way off its probably residing somewhere between timbuktu and cloud cookoo land .

C)As for there not being a very large playerbase in 6 months I suggest you look at the very early posts in these forums and see how many people said the same thing  about Warcraft 7 years ago .

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by bestever

I sure hope so since GW2 doesnt have a SUB LOL dumb ***

Yes that was the joke, thanks for the name calling :)

It might have been best puting an lol or rofl laughing at the end of it or maybe an emote so people knew it was a joke . I suspected it might be but whens somethings just put up as you did it makes you sound more serious than you actually intended .  

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    I suspect 10 + million sales for GW2. After all GW1 sold 7 million. GW2 will easily sell more. This is just the beginning.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Ngeldu5t

You mean the 4 or 5 Millions EU/NA customers or the rest from Asia?

Uhm, calm down a bit guys, or you start a flame war.

GW2 is anyways being translated into Chinese as we speak so numbers should be comparible in a few years if you think comparing a B2P and a P2P game is fair.

Not that I see how it matters, if GW2 does good enough to add updates and expansions I am a happy camper. In Wows case it is getting a bit old by now so if you look past the nearest future you probably want to keep your eyes out for when Blizzard announce Wow2 (They will, 6 months after Titan is released or so).

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

SWTOR had 2.4 million box sales after 4 months (April 2012) - context is everything

http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/05/07/swtor-subscriber-base-shrinks

As of the end of April 2012, 2.4 million units of Star Wars: The Old Republic have sold through.

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by Nadia

SWTOR had 2.4 million box sales after 4 months (April 2012) - context is everything

As of the end of April 2012, 2.4 million units of Star Wars: The Old Republic have sold through.

SWTOR was a subscription based game. You're right, context IS everything.

i think its fair to compare box sales to box sales
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

well its not like the number is gonna go down or anything hehe..

Im actally suprised they have sold so little because of the amonut of super hype i expected them to sell more...

many mmos dont report subs

RIFT never reported subs - RIFT only reported sold units

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/07/rift-approaching-the-one-million-sell-through-mark/

any mmo that reports sold units, (read: SWTOR and RIFT), GW2 can make unit sale comparisons

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Caldrin

well its not like the number is gonna go down or anything hehe..

Im actally suprised they have sold so little because of the amonut of super hype i expected them to sell more...

So you expected WoW numbers?

GW2 is the biggest new MMORPG release in the west. 

Yeah, how can one not be surprised...

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by nsignific
    Originally posted by Nadia

SWTOR was a subscription based game. You're right, context IS everything.

Which of course makes SWTOR's sales all the more impressive knowing you had to pay a sub fee, when people buy GW@ they are taking far less of a chance, but still 2 mil in sales, congrats for selling almost as much as SWTOR