Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: 2 Million and Counting

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by tawess

How good for them

"World of Warcraft Cataclysm sells 3.3M units in its first day out"

That should tell you units sold equals jack until the concurent users numbers show up. (and that of is where things turn a bit more bleak for WoW.) But then again, good for them. that shows that they have a good chance to make some serious money and that in turn is good for the future employment of the dev team. So *thumbs up*

Well, since you opened the doors to the 3.3 opening day cata numbers:  What if MOP has a lower number on opening day?  What would that tell us?

It would tell us that MOP had lower numbers on opening day.

I gotta love how a congratulatory thread going out to ANET turns into a "WoW's goin down" thread.

It just goes to show you how big WoW REALLY is. When the game can dominate Arena Net's own success threads in 3rd party forums, forget about player bases.

You can't tell if I am pro wow, anti wow or playing devils advocate here.  You can presume, but that's your bag baby.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

How good for them

That should tell you units sold equals jack until the concurent users numbers show up. (and that of is where things turn a bit more bleak for WoW.) But then again, good for them. that shows that they have a good chance to make some serious money and that in turn is good for the future employment of the dev team. So *thumbs up*

Well, since you opened the doors to the 3.3 opening day cata numbers:  What if MOP has a lower number on opening day?  What would that tell us?

I gotta love how a congratulatory thread going out to ANET turns into a "WoW's goin down" thread.

It just goes to show you how big WoW REALLY is. When the game can dominate Arena Net's own success threads in 3rd party forums, forget about player bases.

You can't tell if I am pro wow, anti wow or playing devils advocate here.  You can presume, but that's your bag baby.

Doesn't matter what your preference is. Thread still turned towards WoW.

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219

How good for them

and u are only making sure that WoW dominates another gw2 thread ..keep supporting!!

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by fatboy21007
    Look out WoW,  some1 is gaining steam XD

WoW has more subscribers than GW2 ever will

GW2 doesn't have subscribers. It has people that buy it and play it. They subscribe to nothing. So, yea WoW will have more subscribers then GW2 ever will.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by f0dell54

GW2 doesn't have subscribers. It has people that buy it and play it. They subscribe to nothing. So, yea WoW will have more subscribers then GW2 ever will.

That was the joke.  He's been quoted for it multiple times this whole thread.  He has successfully trolled you all.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott
    Originally posted by f0dell54

That was the joke.  He's been quoted for it multiple times this whole thread.  He has successfully trolled you all.

Troll accepted

Well played sir. Well played

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Thralia

How good for them

and u are only making sure that WoW dominates another gw2 thread ..keep supporting!!

If this was directed at me, I really don't care one way or another who supports what. I was simply making the observation about the direction this thread went and why. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

ANet will eventually crush WoW because it only has room to grow for several years.  WoW has very little room left to progress.  In all it's kind of a silly comparison because WoW was from a previous paradigm and the world and market are much different now.  I still believe that no one will topple the success Blizzard had at their pinnacle with WoW, including Blizzard themselves.

offtopic but worth mentioning

if Everquest can spit out 19 expansions over the course of 13 years, including new game features

im confident WOW can keep churning out content for years

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

congrats, i am happy for Anet, but the B2P system can be a bit deceiving, because they might sell 2million copies, but it doesn't mean that those 2 millions are still actively playing, it will be way less than that, i know it because 1/2 of my guild already stopped playing

so if you guys are comparing this number of players to WoW, i think WoW still have more "active" subscriber

but again, WOW has been for 8 years,

so, congrats to Anet, you guys are doing okay!

looking forward to the next expansion already

So What Now?

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Four0Six

They should since GW2 doesn't really have subscribers....

I think in the end they will sell almost as many boxes as WoW has subs, especially if their expansions are good.

But it will never sell nearly as many boxes as WoW. If you want to do a comparison, count the box sales of both.....not box vs subs.....

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Rift is missing the alt factor that a lot of people like in wow.
  • TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by IceAge
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

I have done no research so I'm only repeating numebrs that have been thrown around here for years.

If GW2, has currently sold 2M boxes, how many boxes has WoW sold?

If 10M players bought the original game plus 3, now 4 expanisons, we are looking at not 10M boxes but multiples of 10M boxes.

Like what 40M boxes over the years?

It is estimated WoW sold between 60-80 million boxes.

It's a VERY bad estimation. People from Asia does not buy boxes, you got that?

Fair enough. So we'll also disregard GW2 sales when it hits Asia as well then. Right?

Again guys this is a silly conversation. All we can get from the current evidence at hand is that GW2 has made some significant sales at launch. So financially they currently look to be doing pretty darn good. Now if they had only pushed something absurd like 100k units that would be different. As it stands now they've had a good start. Where they go from here in continued market appeal and player retention is something we will just have to wait and see on, until we can get some concrete evidence on how sales and the playerbase is shaking out. Anything else is right now is just pissing in the wind.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• sbrite10sbrite10 Member Posts: 71

Of course it will.GW2 doesnt require a subscription.

Originally posted by silverreign

since the game isnt sub based, the box sales vs actual people playing are deceiving. i bought the game but i am not playing anymore. yet my box sale is being considered as a playing member. 2 million box sales doesnt exactly mean 2 million people playing

And the point is they got all the money they needed out of you since you bought the box.Its too bad you dont like the game.Its really fun and to me well worth your time.But opinions will always vary.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Tardcore
    Where they go from here in continued market appeal and player retention is something we will just have to wait and see on, until we can get some concrete evidence on how sales and the playerbase is shaking out. Anything else is right now is just pissing in the wind.

Maybe MMOs should just stick a counter on their websites showing how many active players there are. Then again, that would make it harder for less than good MMOs floating around to hide their lack of retention or something...

Originally posted by Lethality
    Hehe, no. This game isn't mainstream enough... it has a limited appeal, and there are signs that the foundation has cracks in it (endgame, broken designs, balance.)

In your opinion maybe.It has pleny of appeal and all the balance issues you seem to think it has can be fixed if necessary.I havent played to endgame but since the plan is to follow the GW1 model that statement is pretty moot as well.They will release expansions for the game and there you have it more "endgame".I have yet to see any "broken designs" so I dont know what your talking about.All MMO's come out with a few bumps.This ones only been out for what 2 weeks?Haters gonna hate I guess and as I said before your entitled to your opinion however wrong I may think it is.

Originally posted by botrytis
    Hehe, no. This game isn't mainstream enough... it has a limited appeal, and there are signs that the foundation has cracks in it (endgame, broken designs, balance.)

Not really - no more than any other game that was just released 2 weeks ago. The game is pretty balanced and TSW doesn't have decent end game either and TOR - fuh'get about it.

Your bias is showing.

It's not bias  - it's experience and knowing what I see when I see it.

Are you level 80? Hav eyou been to Orr? Whgat can you tell me about end game, the dynamic events and grinding for gear?

I have played pretty much every real MMO out there and they all end up with a lack of what you call endgame and a gear grind.Unless they were to have programmers dedicated to adding new content people like you who thhink they are experts on MMO's and how they should work will never be happy.Thats not a feasable proposition for any MMO company.Had you stopped to smell the roses and enjoyed your journey not rushing to 80 you would have seen what a great game we have here.Some people will never be happy no matter what you put otu there.Thats too bad for you.

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273

Please don't do that. We REALLY need to let the whole "WoW-killer" thing go. The only thing that will kill WoW is WoW and per Taugrim's "Fanboys just don't get it" vlog, GW2 or SWTOR or TSW or Tera being a success doesn't correspondingly mean WoW loses and vice versa.

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    And how exactly vanilla wow had sell at the second week of its release? U cant compare cataclysm expansion...cause wow has already builded its community while gw1 and gw2 its different games complitely..gw1 wasnt even a real mmo. So lets dint compare oranges with apples here.. gw2 must be compared.so far wirh vanila wow.. wow also comes from another succesful game and not mmo.
  • sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Oh and let me add that at least 25% of wow players and active subscribers i may add are gold sellers...with 3-4 accounts or more each of them..
  • AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    I am sure 25% of them r...*roll eyes*
  • LydarSynnLydarSynn Member UncommonPosts: 181
    I can't imagine why this game is so popular but to each his own. Arenanet is making a profit and thats all that really matters.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
        There will probably be a good surge around xmas time also as Im sure some people wanted to avoid launch and then can get it for free as a present.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Good for Anet.  2 million copies in two weeks is definitely an accomplishment.  Lets hope they continue to grow.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Did'nt SWTOR sell 2 million games