Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: 2 Million and Counting

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet has announced that over two million Guild Wars 2 units have been sold worldwide. The game launched a bit over two weeks ago and digital sales were halted for a short time.

"Reactions from around the world justified the time and care we put into developing Guild Wars 2 and making it into the game it is today," said Mike O'Brien, president and co-founder of ArenaNet. "And this is only the beginning. We're continually fine-tuning the game to deliver the polished experience that our players expect, and we’re already working on new adventures and experiences to introduce into this truly dynamic online world."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Congrats Arenanet
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    To quote Paul Harvey "Now you know................the rest of the story."

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409
    Look out WoW,  some1 is gaining steam XD
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Congrats, it really is the best mmo I've played in years. Finally, an mmo that comes out with all the bells and whistles, so much depth, and it's free to play?? :) Congrats ArenaNet, job well done.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by fatboy21007

WoW has more subscribers than GW2 ever will

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

define 'ever'....

• reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247

Ever is a looooong time...

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

They should since GW2 doesn't really have subscribers....

I think in the end they will sell almost as many boxes as WoW has subs, especially if their expansions are good.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

since the game isnt sub based, the box sales vs actual people playing are deceiving. i bought the game but i am not playing anymore. yet my box sale is being considered as a playing member. 2 million box sales doesnt exactly mean 2 million people playing

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

The problem here is they have orchestrated it in such a way that this number will ever decline. "2million units sold" 90% of the population could leave and it still would be "2 million units sold"

I personally think there is a hard ceiling to this game, Where everyone who wanted to play it, did.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Well, WoW is 7 yrs old and saying that is kind of MEH. I think a proper comparison would be how many copies MoP sells compared to GW2. People who pay subscribe for a game have a reason to play it - otherwise it is wasted money.

• LethalityLethality Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Hehe, no. This game isn't mainstream enough... it has a limited appeal, and there are signs that the foundation has cracks in it (endgame, broken designs, balance.)
    Originally posted by Nitth

The problem here is they have orchestrated it in such a way that this number will ever decline. "2million units sold" 90% of the population could leave and it still would be "2 million units sold"

Not orchestrated as you said - they did sell 2 million copies period. That is what they are making their money on besides CS. Since there is no Sub fee, you can't look at that.

Rememebr GW1 still has people playing it 7 yrs after it was released.

Originally posted by Lethality
    Hehe, no. This game isn't mainstream enough... it has a limited appeal, and there are signs that the foundation has cracks in it (endgame, broken designs, balance.)

Not really - no more than any other game that was just released 2 weeks ago. The game is pretty balanced and TSW doesn't have decent end game either and TOR - fuh'get about it.

Your bias is showing.

What game is mainstream? TSW? no - TOR - definitely not. MMO's are not meant to be mainstream as they cater to specific types of people.

Even WoW has limited appeal.

Originally posted by Galadourn

define 'ever'....

Let's put it this way... even after everyone tires of WoW,  because the game is so good and has so many fans, it will never, ever get lower than 2-3 million subscribers... ever.

Guild Wars 2 is just selling boxes, there's no way to measure the number of "players" and it's doubtful ArenaNet will ever need to report that since it has nothing to do with financials. So we'll never know how many people are playing.  

For example, I bought it, but I've already uninstalled it.

Originally posted by botrytis

Not really - no more than any other game that was just released 2 weeks ago. The game is pretty balanced and TSW doesn't have decent end game either and TOR - fuh'get about it.

Your bias is showing.

It's not bias  - it's experience and knowing what I see when I see it.

Are you level 80? Hav eyou been to Orr? Whgat can you tell me about end game, the dynamic events and grinding for gear?

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

According to Anet they want to beat WOW in sales and be number one. I think they know for that they have to go for mass appeal hence mainstream.

Bite Me

define 'ever'....

Unless GW2 starts offering subscriptions, what I said will always be true.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Gz Arenanet :-D

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

define 'ever'....

Nope - sorry. Just because you SAY it is fact doesn't mean it is - your opinion not reality. What I am trying to say is WoW also has box sales - let us compare that not subs (Since GW2 like GW1 is B2P). That is the easieat way to compare. As I said, let us compare sales of MoP with GW2. We could even put in the new expansion of Rift as far as sales of boxes too.

What you meant to say is - WoW will always have more players - I believe since there is no fee to play GW2.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    It's still early days but this is very impressive and promising. WoW is showing its age whilst GW2 has just been born. In the next couple of years we will hopefully see GW2 expand in content and gameplay and see what more it can offer in the long term.
  • MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

I personally think there is a hard ceiling to this game, Where everyone who wanted to play it, did.

Not really. Servers have population indicators.

EDIT: Almost forgot. Congrats to Anet image

define 'ever'....

Nope - sorry. Just because you SAY it is fact doesn't mean it is - your opinion not reality.

Explain please.  How is what I said be false, unless GW2 offers subscriptions later?

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

Not orchestrated as you said - they did sell 2 million copies period. That is what they are making their money on besides CS. Since there is no Sub fee, you can't look at that.

Rememebr GW1 still has people playing it 7 yrs after it was released.

But 6-7 million people were not playing it concurrently. Please show us where Anet ever posted how many people they has concurretly playing GW1 thrughout the years. All I have ever seen is they sold the box, thats all.

I do know that from 2009 and 2012 GW only account for approx 3% of NCSofts revenue. And a post in this fourm also shows that 70% of the people who bought the game have not spent a dime more.

Sorry but box sales doesn't mean a whole lot. When they say they now have more then the 400k concurrent players they did mention then you have something to talk about.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by MMOwanderer

Originally posted by Nitth The problem here is they have orchestrated it in such a way that this number will ever decline. "2million units sold" 90% of the population could leave and it still would be "2 million units sold" I personally think there is a hard ceiling to this game, Where everyone who wanted to play it, did.
    Not really. Servers have population indicators.

EDIT: Almost forgot. Congrats to Anet

re read what i said you did not comprehend.

The statement they made "2+ million box sales" can be used endlessly for marketing regardless of population.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development