Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 The most unsocial MMO I have ever played

Comments

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Nailzzz
    I can't speak for anyone else but given Arenanet's willingnes to ban players for saying anything less than pc and there heavy handed forum moderation, I'm actually reluctant to say anything in open chat for fear of losing my account.
    Perhaps I'm not the only one with that fear in the back of their mind.

Honestly, if you can write like this without freaking out or using obscenities, I think you're preeeeeeeeeetty safe.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

Wow that's completely the opposite of my reaction to the game. It feels to me like everyone is automatically grouped and chatting together in map chat. You run across someone that needs help and you help them out or rez them if they need it. The people are definitely a lot friendlier in this game as well.

Joining a guild is one of the first things that I did (I think on day 2). So I think that's what you are missing. When you do join a guilt, don't forget to click on represent so you can actually talk to them.

• JeyhuJeyhu Member UncommonPosts: 90

So you haven't joined a guild yet and then blame the game for you being anti social?  LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Go back to Tera, btw that game is complete garbage, have fun.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    It's a solo game that doesn't know it yet, kinda like Diablo 3. Even in Spvp joining with friends means fighting against them half the time. I don't think it's really overhyped so much as overrated.
  • mbolmembolme Member Posts: 48
    People are helping me out all the time. Rezzing me if I need it, jumping in to help me with a mob, forming ad-hoc groups to assault tough areas. Very friendly. They don't talk too much, but then I don't either. Mostly because I am having too much fun to type. :P
  • RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by pmaura
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

well I am very friendly and all I know is that it feels like I am walking down NYC

And people acting like people is abnormal how?

becuase in that example there all going to work, lets say I am in crowd at baseball stadium you chat up a 100 different people your all there for the same reason to have fun watch a game, you talk to the guy next to you man did you see that catch. he goes no shit that was awesome.

There is no banter in this game. Its like a daily grind do this do that no talking . I no fun, Skyrim is more socialy engaging.

Cool. I have plenty of conversations in game no matter how small or drawn out. I approach random people and strike up a conversation. Must be doing it wrong. But in all seriuosness this is a stupid complain. The game not being social, and all.

its not close to a stupid complaint, the idea that a huge mmo has little social acitivity? Or that it feels quiet. I might as well just play a straight up single player rpg. Otherwise whats the point, its not like the single player in this fun. In rift wow, eve, swtor, aoc etc, If was to ask in general whats the best crafting profesion a debate starts, in this game silence for 5 minutes then if I am lucky I get doesnt matter. from the responses on this I get people who play this game are kinda of assholes and in general are unfirendly people.

Your in game experience seems completely opposite of mine and I play the game from 1Am EST until maybe 3AM due to work schedule. Even at that time I find plenty of chat going on in different places. Then again i dont assume everyone else is unfriendly and an asshole, your problem finding friends might be rooted right there.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

Why don't u guys calling it unsocial, try playing with real life friends.......

And also, do you really have to group to be social, like just follow the pack of players and do stuff....

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

Oops, didn't mean to double post pls delete.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Ghost12
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

GW2 is the most Themeparked game ever created. And just like a real theme park there is no reason to talk to anyone that is not in the group you went to the park with. Sure you might say hello and smile at a few strangers while waiting in line for a ride, but the only people you actually communicate with are the family and/or friends you went with. GW2's problem is that large percentage of the players went to the park alone, hoping that someone would want to talk to them, only to find out that no one does.

Nice analogy but doesn't fit GW2.  There is no other game out there right now that provides as much player interaction while you adventure.  If you don't believe me think of how many people have revived or rezed you while doing an event.  Or read the tooltips on almost all abilities with boons attached to them.  See the part that says "allies"? They aren't talking about just group mates.  The reason you'll probably never have conversations with the people you're doing events with is there is usually something going on around the bend.  If you want structured socializing you need to do it yourself.

There are angles to come at GW2 on but it's social aspect is not one of them.

GW2 is in direct competition with SWTOR for on rails gameplay. I cant decide which game is more linear, haha.

The OP is right, no one talks in GW2. This is a serious blow to the genre, IMO and really saddens me. You have got to be delusional "Player interaction?" player interaction doesnt include everyone zerging at a DE event. Sorry buddy.

If thats what "player interaction" means now, the genre has truly lost its way.

Player interaction is much more than that. Or at least, it used to mean that.

Oh and the "get a guild" excuse is laughable. Half the time, I would join a guild that I MET IN GAME THROUGH SOCIALIZING. That doesnt happen in GW2.

And why should a guild be a prerequisite for sociaizing anyway? If it was, it would form a cliquey, segregated game.

This saddens me.

well said. agree 100%

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Ghost12
    Originally posted by Aelious

GW2 is the most Themeparked game ever created. And just like a real theme park there is no reason to talk to anyone that is not in the group you went to the park with. Sure you might say hello and smile at a few strangers while waiting in line for a ride, but the only people you actually communicate with are the family and/or friends you went with. GW2's problem is that large percentage of the players went to the park alone, hoping that someone would want to talk to them, only to find out that no one does.

Nice analogy but doesn't fit GW2.  There is no other game out there right now that provides as much player interaction while you adventure.  If you don't believe me think of how many people have revived or rezed you while doing an event.  Or read the tooltips on almost all abilities with boons attached to them.  See the part that says "allies"? They aren't talking about just group mates.  The reason you'll probably never have conversations with the people you're doing events with is there is usually something going on around the bend.  If you want structured socializing you need to do it yourself.

There are angles to come at GW2 on but it's social aspect is not one of them.

GW2 is in direct competition with SWTOR for on rails gameplay. I cant decide which game is more linear, haha.

The OP is right, no one talks in GW2. This is a serious blow to the genre, IMO and really saddens me. You have got to be delusional "Player interaction?" player interaction doesnt include everyone zerging at a DE event. Sorry buddy.

If thats what "player interaction" means now, the genre has truly lost its way.

Player interaction is much more than that. Or at least, it used to mean that.

Oh and the "get a guild" excuse is laughable. Half the time, I would join a guild that I MET IN GAME THROUGH SOCIALIZING. That doesnt happen in GW2.

And why should a guild be a prerequisite for sociaizing anyway? If it was, it would form a cliquey, segregated game.

This saddens me.

huh? don't think we are even playing the same game.. also for the second thing in red I'd love to know what the "much more" means to you.. and how older MMOs required "more more" interaction than required to complete many of the dungeons in GW2... i'd suggest transfering to sanctum of rall people are talking on this server nonstop when I play. i have to cut off map chat half the time because between my guild and map chat I can't keep up with the message traffic.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by LethalJaxx

WORSE GAME = MORE SOCIAL GAME :D

The game is already a good social game and its already been a success to many. I find it hard to believe that this is unsocial, try swtor and have fun with that big of a social game. From what you posted just made me think that your saying single player rpgs>mmos. without the social aspect there is no community, when there is no community u can easily get burn't out from the game. But there is a social aspect in this game, which gets the server community together, the way they made this its very social and cooperative and full of server pride. pretty much like country pride almost, blah blah whatever the chants are not trying to bring up that debate just an example.

• UrkoUrko Member Posts: 88

I feel more ingroup in this game more than i ever did in WoW or SWTOR that i played before, and i havent actually joined a group as such (in hud).

The way the game works you feel part of the group as soon as you enter an event or attacking mobs, ive seen more interaction in this game WITHOUT purposely joining a group than in any others i played.

• UrkoUrko Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Wrender
    Don't get me wrong I am really trying to love this game it's just the lack of anyone ever speaking is bugging me in some way. I feel lonely. Ignored. insubstantial. Unhelpful. Unappreciated. Just another ant running around the anthill looking for crumpets...

Playing WoW for 6 years i found 90% of the chat apart from in the dungeons (tactics) was utter crap being talked in general,  im glad this game doesnt seem to have that.

You can plenty of game interaction gameplay wise, if you join a guild youll get the social banter your after.

"Social chat" in other MMOs is normally a load of sh ite being spammed.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    The MMO I grouped the most in was Shadowbane, and then SWTOR, with Vanguard a close third

I played Vanguuard as a solo game, not that I wanted to but my work hours and the game being kind of empty when I got there forced that on me.

DDO was a very group centric game(especially in the early days) and what was one of the biggest complaints in that game? PUGs, pick up groups. People complained all the time about the lack of skill in the avergae PUG. So while forced grouping might cause socializing it also causes complaining.

I find in GW2 that the game itself is not anti social but the structure of the game does not force socializing. People will then socialize at their own pace. For some that might be in cities during downtime only, others keep up a running dialog the entire time they play.

the main problem I had with DDO grouping was everyone wanted to race through the dungeon and that killed the enjoyment for me

• quitschoolquitschool Member Posts: 24
    Sounds like you really just looking for attention and friends. Goodluck bro.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956
    Originally posted by Korusus

I have the exact opposite feeling.  Maybe it's because I just got done with two single-player MMOs in TOR and TSW, but I find GW2 to be refreshingly group-heavy. 

LOL! Another person that played TSW or SWTOR for a couple hours and bashing it like a single player game. /shrug

SWTOR had a lot of group missions.... sadly most people were anti social and just skipped it.

TSW becomes a lot more challenging beyond Kingsmouth and the further you get and I had a lot of sponanious grouping to overcome the harder content.  Also.... good luck solo'ing the dungeons. /shrug

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

Originally posted by StanlyStanko
    Being auto-grouped hasn't made people much more sociable. Most still just run off in all directions when the DE ends. But it's not really a game problem, it's a people problem.

This is a feature that I like. My goals and tasks are often sidetracked by the various random events I happen upon. Once the task is complete I love the freedom of returning to my original plans without leaving a group or needing to explain myself.

Forced group play can have a negative feeling and impact at times. I used to really hate in SWTOR's Ilum map running with a group for pvp and suddenly finding myself the group leader because the dailies were done and the group was no longer needed. That situation is certainly not any more social than the informal grouping system GW2 employs.

I have encountered a handful of rough spots though. A handful of people running through a cave training mobs on others can lead to certain death at times or something similar.

No matter, due to the differences of each individual; some people will be happy with the GW2 system and others will not be.

• lovehina21lovehina21 Member UncommonPosts: 56

*raises a glass in agreement*

= Scent to bed =

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    The MMO I grouped the most in was Shadowbane, and then SWTOR, with Vanguard a close third

I played Vanguuard as a solo game, not that I wanted to but my work hours and the game being kind of empty when I got there forced that on me.

DDO was a very group centric game(especially in the early days) and what was one of the biggest complaints in that game? PUGs, pick up groups. People complained all the time about the lack of skill in the avergae PUG. So while forced grouping might cause socializing it also causes complaining.

I find in GW2 that the game itself is not anti social but the structure of the game does not force socializing. People will then socialize at their own pace. For some that might be in cities during downtime only, others keep up a running dialog the entire time they play.

the main problem I had with DDO grouping was everyone wanted to race through the dungeon and that killed the enjoyment for me

DDO was best played with a group of friends that were all at the same level of game experience so you got to do dungeons as a team and not part of a PUG that had 3 people rolling their 25th alt or their character going through its 7th rebirth. Unfortunately by the time you played as long as I had you just had no reason to go slow anymore.

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by revy66
    Depends what you mean with socializing. Do you mean talking? Or do you mean playing with others? Because I've played with others much more than I did in other MMOs and the reason is that the game mechanics encourage it as opposed to mose other MMOs. I want to play with others not chat with them and with GW2 I can do that without with more success than other MMOs.

totally agree passive grouping is the way to go, you get your game on and group more then ever. Having general chat is a just a waste of bandwidth full of comedic wannabes and trash talk. Want to share game thoughts hang with like minded people in your guild. My take, people come and go in mmos you want to socialize hang with your buds at your local watering hole.

• reef22reef22 Member UncommonPosts: 85

I think GW 2 did a great job with grouping.  Many times I would fight a boss and all of sudden I looked around and realized that there were at least 15 or 20 people around me.  There was a unity there during the fight and I like that.  Although a lot of times, people just ran off to other places after the fight.  I always stay behind just to see if anyone talks but a lot of them don't.  And it's hard for me to make the first step of talking when people already running off.

So it really depends on the players not the game design.  The game can't make people talk and you can't get rid of the auto-grouping either.   Would you rather spend hours in chat looking for group so you can talk to people for like 10-20 minutes?  Or would you get auto-grouping so you can keep playing the game?   It's a double edged sword and you can't have both.  All we can do is try to start the first conversation and hoping other players would stay and chat a bit.

That being said, I don't want any new or potential players to think that there is no community in game.  The map chat or zone chat is very lively.  People talks, ask and answer questions in the chat all the time and they are all pretty friendly and polite.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Originally posted by Wrender

C'mon I thought pretty much all new MMO's were nothing but solo online games but GW2 takes the grand prize here. No one groups at all, ever...

I feel like I am playing a solo game.

I havent played a solo rpg in like 10 yrs and this aspect of GW2 is driving me absolutly crazy. I play MMO's to interact and overcome challenges with like minded players I meet in game.

I left TERA for this?

I like the games asthetics and artwork but this lack of any social interaction is killing me and I see myself going back to TERA pretty soon now.

There is just really not much point in lvling to 80 if I am doing it without mingling with a single real life human being?

Is this what our society has become? Anti social freAKS THAT ARE HATING ON EVERY OTHER HUMAN BEING ON THE PLANET? iT'S BAD ENOUGH driving around in my car and observing how pissed off about 90% of everyone I meet is but it should be different in an mmo game where everyone is expected to have fun in an online game.

ANyone else feel this way.

I am not in a guild yet so hopefully when and if I get in one this will change or it will sadly be uninstalled and sold to a friend.

Why are you blaming the game for you being antisocial. If you are antisocial and didn't party and didn't join a guild it's your fault and not the game's fault.

I guess you can try and go back to Tera but you will have to deal with one more problem: not only you will have to overcome your  antisocial mentality but you will have to find an active player on your server.

Good luck :)

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

That is the games biggest issue. Now finding like players changes all of that. But those that blow through the dungeons comeback is "we've done it a 100 times". I get that to. Many thought random trap and enemy placement would have changed all of that, but making the change now, would piss these long time players off. Watching a DDO Youtube video is nothing but over powered toons solo zerging the dungeon and the viewer learns nothing.

• xevanonxevanon Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Peolple do not wanna talk, no time for this, they wanna play! Too much thinks to do lol
  • sotosesotose Member Posts: 6

I found two people trying to do the Lion's Arch cave/jumping puzzle.We grouped up,we entered a dark room,I waved my flaming sword in the darkness to make enough light so they could see the rocks and jump ahead.I got ldealyed and lost in the labyrynth and they came back to pick me up.One of them fell and I jumped all the way back to light his way.We did the whole thing that took 20 minutes while chatting.In the end they added my to their friend's list.

I used a freaking flaming sword,not to kill some boss or get some loot but to help some stranger see his way inside a dark cave.That's Fellowship of the Ring stuff right there.How much more social do you want the game to be?