Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 The most unsocial MMO I have ever played

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by thark
    Originally posted by Bijou

I don't understand these threads. What are you doing during DEs? Stay silent? WORNG! If no one talks, start talking (but don't be annoying). Say something about the DE, mobs, the map or improvise. Like, yesterday during a DE a character said "Almost ready" and immediately after that another one said "For great justice" and I was like "LOL, we're almost ready for great justice! xD" and people started laughing and trying to come up with other combinations, it was hilarious. x) We stayed after DE talking about skills and stuff, haha. It was fun! Seriously, if you stay silent, nothing's gonna happen. You have to encourage people with some chat. It works wonders. :)

Hmm ok ..So you have to run around and "lure" players to actually speak..

Would it not be better if the game provided the reason for you to speak, with actual group finding, tactical planning etc..

Ohh I almost forgot players do not have the time to do that :)

You seem to be missing the difference between talking with people and talking at people... which is scary.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Every zone I visit has very active chat across the entire map. People are friendly and quick to help if I get in a bind. Forcing people into a traditional group will not make people more social.  Question is how friendly are you?
  • LethalJaxxLethalJaxx Member Posts: 105

Let's approach it differently. What triggered social behaviour in other games?

In my experience:

-downtime while camping spawns

-griefing over bugs

-griefing over bad mechanics

-world pvp (also, mainly griefing, this time about being ganked)

so, add it all together, and basically, apart from #4, which is more about personal preference, the conclusion of the day is:

WORSE GAME = MORE SOCIAL GAME :D

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by Tekaelon
    Every zone I visit has very active chat across the entire map. People are friendly and quick to help if I get in a bind. Forcing people into a traditional group will not make people more social.  Question is how friendly are you?

well I am very friendly and all I know is that it feels like I am walking down NYC, lots of people no one talking, people are self centered just flash mobbing things moving on to next, no chat no talk no social aspect at all never seen a game like this ever. I think its time to leave guildwars. the single player element is kinda of dull and not enganging and theres no social aspect good luck and have fun

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by pmaura

well I am very friendly and all I know is that it feels like I am walking down NYC, lots of people no one talking,

GASP!

So people acting in games like they do in real life?  You don't say?!?

Seriously.  I understand peoples beefs but just like in school, in work, out and about... you have to find like minded individuals.  Maybe I don't want to talk today, are you going to force me to group up with people and have a heart to heart?  No.  I can group and go.  If I'm feeling chatty, I strike up a convo.  Some people talk and we have fun, others just leave.  It's cool.  I feel the EXACT way sometimes.

For the same reason, some days I'm a chatty cathy in guild, other times I lurk and do my own thing.

For crying out loud, forcing people to do things they don't want to do would be cried about JUST as much.  You'd hear "WHY DO WE HAVE TO GROUP FOR EVERYTING?!?!?" or "THIS GAME SUCKS WITHOUT MUMBLE, you can't PUG!" etc etc.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by drakaena

In my experience GW2 is extremely anti-social. Probably the most anti-social MMO (if you even want to call it an MMO) I've ever partaken in. There's no need to group-up and coordinate with other players while leveling. Everyone is a one man army in a sea of zerg.

I've yet to interact with any other player outside of my RL friends and the random guild invite and I'm now level 65.

For those who are going to say "join a guild", well... I often join a guild through interaction with other players in-game that I meet along the way.

I found Rift, Allods, LOTRO all more WAY anti-social than GW2. Maybe try a different server......

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

well I am very friendly and all I know is that it feels like I am walking down NYC

And people acting like people is abnormal how?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by thark
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion

So, the OP is mad, because no one talks to him? You mean a game where people probably started playing with RL friends, or brought a Guild over from a different game, or have their own "crew" they play with and probably have skype/TS/Vent is antisocial? You mean a game that almost forces team play and cooperation with strangers is antisocial.

Look, man. I'm not sure what the big bill is with some of these guys complaining about this is, but some people just don't want to talk to you. Though I've talked to plenty of complete strangers in game and had a good laugh and danced for a few minutes before parting ways. I've even had people group up with me for some jumping puzzles that were really difficult, or for a boss in a cave that was sort of off the radar.

So because a random stranger won't just stop and have a long drawn out conversation with you and tell you about his kids the game is antisocial? Hmm..so lets transfer this same community to a different game and see if it gets any better. Lets all go play, hmm Aion, and everyone make a whatever class you want. Most classes in that game, from what I remember, could solo most things. So I think you'll see even less communication. Let's go to SW:TOR...need I say more?

GW is probably the most social game I've played. People, or rather groups of people may not talk to each other, but we're all there playing together which is a hell of a lot  more than what other games gave us. Most games wanted you at each others throats, or competing for mining nodes.

My advice to you...if you want people to talk to you...try talking to them?  Most gamers these days aren't going to just come to you like some outreach program.

I sort of agree with your well written reply here, but...

I don't really think the issues he brought up is the ones that you talk about, not all the time atleast..

When there is a possibility to solo or "mind your own buisness" , the majority of players tend to do just that, it's just human nature.

For the true creation of friends you have to co-operate, with solving a dungeon or other difficult tasks, , it's true however that many players come with personal friends and/or guilds already i would say the majority without having a back up for this claim :)

There is naturally several reasons for the OP to consider

1. Could it be the games fault, well It coud be, by providing to much things that can be made alone you will see less players talk, since it isn't needed . And having a auto group feature sounds exellent on paper ..but all you get is 4 anonimous player dolls on the right side of your UI. And here is the place where I see the OP..

2 Could it be he's own fault. Yes ofcourse..for many reasons, and obvious reasons that we don't have to discuss :)

3.Could it be the voice communication (Team speak, ventrilo and skype) ..Well yes, also as you mentioned most players chat with their personal friends already via these methods.

*points an angry finger at you* I....I uh...you are a complete....uuh...I agree. But can I disagree just because? No one is allowed to agree on these forums. It warrants stoning or worse!

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by SuperDonk
    GW2 is the most Themeparked game ever created.
    wow...

well I am very friendly and all I know is that it feels like I am walking down NYC, lots of people no one talking

Well you really shouldn't talk to strangers nor even look at them in NYC, that's the way it goes. But don't compare NYC to these games, well except maybe pre-Trammal Ultima Online. :)

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Wrender

C'mon I thought pretty much all new MMO's were nothing but solo online games but GW2 takes the grand prize here. No one groups at all, ever...

I feel like I am playing a solo game.

I havent played a solo rpg in like 10 yrs and this aspect of GW2 is driving me absolutly crazy. I play MMO's to interact and overcome challenges with like minded players I meet in game.

I left TERA for this?

I like the games asthetics and artwork but this lack of any social interaction is killing me and I see myself going back to TERA pretty soon now.

There is just really not much point in lvling to 80 if I am doing it without mingling with a single real life human being?

Is this what our society has become? Anti social freAKS THAT ARE HATING ON EVERY OTHER HUMAN BEING ON THE PLANET? iT'S BAD ENOUGH driving around in my car and observing how pissed off about 90% of everyone I meet is but it should be different in an mmo game where everyone is expected to have fun in an online game.

ANyone else feel this way.

I am not in a guild yet and aso hopefully when and if I get in one this will change or it will sadly be uninstalled and sold to a friend.

No just the opposite ....OP trying completing an event and saying "thanks folks that was reall good (fun)" You'll be surprised at how many people are looking for an opening to speak and communicate with others

Originally posted by Loktofeit

well I am very friendly and all I know is that it feels like I am walking down NYC

becuase in that example there all going to work, lets say I am in crowd at baseball stadium you chat up a 100 different people your all there for the same reason to have fun watch a game, you talk to the guy next to you man did you see that catch. he goes no shit that was awesome.

There is no banter in this game. Its like a daily grind do this do that no talking . I no fun, Skyrim is more socialy engaging.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

F*%# U you lonelly needy ppl.

Theres pleny of ppl there why dont u start the conversation, u dont need a /party to be grouped

every time i go events theres people to ress while you are down as help you with big packs of mobs raping you.

No one is interested on your boring daily life when theres an awesome sauce game to play.

search for guild and sh*t . 

Damn man, its a game not the new meaning of your life

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

becuase in that example there all going to work, lets say I am in crowd at baseball stadium you chat up a 100 different people your all there for the same reason to have fun watch a game, you talk to the guy next to you man did you see that catch. he goes no shit that was awesome.

There is no banter in this game. Its like a daily grind do this do that no talking . I no fun, Skyrim is more socialy engaging.

Cool. I have plenty of conversations in game no matter how small or drawn out. I approach random people and strike up a conversation. Must be doing it wrong. But in all seriuosness this is a stupid complain. The game not being social, and all.

Cool. I have plenty of conversations in game no matter how small or drawn out. I approach random people and strike up a conversation. Must be doing it wrong. But in all seriuosness this is a stupid complain. The game not being social, and all.

its not close to a stupid complaint, the idea that a huge mmo has little social acitivity? Or that it feels quiet. I might as well just play a straight up single player rpg. Otherwise whats the point, its not like the single player in this fun. In rift wow, eve, swtor, aoc etc, If was to ask in general whats the best crafting profesion a debate starts, in this game silence for 5 minutes then if I am lucky I get doesnt matter. from the responses on this I get people who play this game are kinda of assholes and in general are unfirendly people.

its not close to a stupid complaint, the idea that a huge mmo has little social acitivity? Or that it feels quiet. I might as well just play a straight up single player rpg. Otherwise whats the point, its not like the single player in this fun. In rift wow, eve, swtor, aoc etc, If was to ask in general whats the best crafting profesion a debate starts, in this game silence for 5 minutes then if I am lucky I get doesnt matter. from the responses on this I get people who play this game are kinda of assholes and in general are unfirendly people.

I just started that same conversation you just mentioned in map chat in divinitys reach and...*gasp* people started talking about it. And I'm sure it will spiral into a debate of which gives teh most exp or whatever. So your server isn't all that chatty. Cool story. It's nice that you think everyone is an asshole though. I'm sure the thousands of people you haven't met yet are happy to know what you think. Either that or they don't care because they don't know you. Nice generalization there. I'm glad you can take an insult that's meant for a single person and spread it across thousands.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Skuz

I love this completely brainless non-argument of "You are grouped with everyone around you all the time"....have you never heard the expression " The loneliest place is amongst a crowd of strangers" ?

If you want to have a group & have a social experience in GW2 you need a guild, you need to do dungeons. The open-world game is for mindlessly zerging around, it is the quintessential essence of massively single-player refined into an art-form.

Humans have not yet evolved a truly engaging hive-mind so zerging is always going to be unsatisfying because there's just zero real interaction going on, you are all sharing the virtual space co-operatively, but if you vanished nobody would bat an eyelid.

True. DE's are social by proximity.

Like going to the mall or some concert event. There is a good chance other then those you go with if you do and the vendors themselves, even though there are many people all around, very few others are talking amongst themselves. And for very sound reasons mostly.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    if you want a GW2 player to talk to you all you have to do is bad mouth the game...You'll get lots of people talking to you ;)
  • SarethorSarethor Member UncommonPosts: 41

The OP is such a troll. 

No Disneyland trip for him. :(

The internet is an amazing platform for some people to showcase their deficiencies as a person.

Regards,
    Sarethor

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Wolvards
    Try your last sentence first please. Doesn't matter what game you play, if you play it solo, it will feel solo. If you try and join in a community, it will feel like it has one.

This should have ended the thread. +1 Wolvards!

The same has been true in MMORPGs since... the beginning?

Even the sandboxes and forced-grouping games of old - interacting with the community was up to YOU the player.

This truth is probably the ONE case where it is both 100% correct and justified to say "it's not the game, it's you."

• ShewrogsShewrogs Member Posts: 5

You left TERA for a better game. 

I'm sorry that this is your experience, I'm on Seafarers rest and only this morning I played for 2 hours before work and I party'd up with somebody via mapchat to do an event, then we linked up with two other people, did some exploring, and some other events, now they are on my friends list.

Then I grouped with some other people and we took some big guy down in Celadon Forest. 

So far, I'm finding it the most social game I've played, not just that, but I think the revive mechanic is resulting in people interacting with the game world and each other in a different, more positive manner. 

The game I did not think I would buy this year has turned into the best MMO so far. 

• Westside32Westside32 Member UncommonPosts: 29

Wow another "GW2 is the most anti social game" thread really?  Again how is it the games fault that you do not interact with the people around you?   Why do you have to have a "NEED" to interact with someone in order to interact with them?  Correct me if I am wrong but this really sounds like a "YOU" problem.  If you do not interact with anyone and/or try to be social with others, then why do you expect them to be social with you?  It will always amaze me the people who get on here and cry about lack of socialization but yet they are not putting in any effort on their side.  Its like they join a game solo with no friends and somehow expect the game to provide them with friends.  I have been playing with the same core group of players in one form or another through various games since Vanguard.  There have been games that I played that they didnt and vice versa but even then we stay in contact through vent/mumble/TS etc even while playing other games.  The best way to not have to solo in a MMO is to find a guild/group of people you like to play with and actually stick it out with them.  Because to be honest if you join a MMO solo not sure why you expect the game to provide you with friends to play with.  Just like in RL you have to actually go out and make friends, they are not provided with the box or digital download.  Seems like all these "GW2 IS ANTI SOCIAL" cry babies want a guild and a friend list to come with the game purchase.

If you have played MMO's for any period of time then you should have np finding a guild.  Guilds are relentlessly recruiting in new games before and after release.  I mean realistically there is no reason anyone should ever "HAVE" to start a MMO without a guild.  Every game ever released has had guilds preping and recruiting long before the game launches.  If you make no effort to be social what in the hell makes you think you are so great that people will line up to group and/or play with you.  Here is a novel idea take control and responsiblity of your gaming life and go make friends, join  a guild and meet new people.  And if you don't like the first guild or anyone in it keep looking till you find the right fit for you.  Because lets be realistic if you are playing a game with 100's of thousands up to millions of people playing the same game and you are unable to find 1 or more people to befriend and play with I would have to declare you are the anti-social one and not the game.

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572
    I have to agree to some extent, I've tried a few times to be chatty and open...all I get is some anti-social people who drop group asap or are dead silent. Map channel is silent as hell. Hell Ive tried to liven it up after getting sick of endless silence. It's like the ability to chat and create a community died or something.It's just deteriorated since Everquest. I'll try my luck elsewhere and move servers probably. 
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Originally posted by Wrender

C'mon I thought pretty much all new MMO's were nothing but solo online games but GW2 takes the grand prize here. No one groups at all, ever...

I feel like I am playing a solo game.

I havent played a solo rpg in like 10 yrs and this aspect of GW2 is driving me absolutly crazy. I play MMO's to interact and overcome challenges with like minded players I meet in game.

I left TERA for this?

I like the games asthetics and artwork but this lack of any social interaction is killing me and I see myself going back to TERA pretty soon now.

There is just really not much point in lvling to 80 if I am doing it without mingling with a single real life human being?

Is this what our society has become? Anti social freAKS THAT ARE HATING ON EVERY OTHER HUMAN BEING ON THE PLANET? iT'S BAD ENOUGH driving around in my car and observing how pissed off about 90% of everyone I meet is but it should be different in an mmo game where everyone is expected to have fun in an online game.

ANyone else feel this way.

I am not in a guild yet so hopefully when and if I get in one this will change or it will sadly be uninstalled and sold to a friend.

BS... In dungeons I need to comunicate more then every other game I have played and outside, well its your choice to stay alone or to play with others.

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

GW2 is the most Themeparked game ever created. And just like a real theme park there is no reason to talk to anyone that is not in the group you went to the park with. Sure you might say hello and smile at a few strangers while waiting in line for a ride, but the only people you actually communicate with are the family and/or friends you went with. GW2's problem is that large percentage of the players went to the park alone, hoping that someone would want to talk to them, only to find out that no one does.

Nice analogy but doesn't fit GW2.  There is no other game out there right now that provides as much player interaction while you adventure.  If you don't believe me think of how many people have revived or rezed you while doing an event.  Or read the tooltips on almost all abilities with boons attached to them.  See the part that says "allies"? They aren't talking about just group mates.  The reason you'll probably never have conversations with the people you're doing events with is there is usually something going on around the bend.  If you want structured socializing you need to do it yourself.

There are angles to come at GW2 on but it's social aspect is not one of them.

GW2 is in direct competition with SWTOR for on rails gameplay. I cant decide which game is more linear, haha.

The OP is right, no one talks in GW2. This is a serious blow to the genre, IMO and really saddens me. You have got to be delusional "Player interaction?" player interaction doesnt include everyone zerging at a DE event. Sorry buddy.

If thats what "player interaction" means now, the genre has truly lost its way.

Player interaction is much more than that. Or at least, it used to mean that.

Oh and the "get a guild" excuse is laughable. Half the time, I would join a guild that I MET IN GAME THROUGH SOCIALIZING. That doesnt happen in GW2.

And why should a guild be a prerequisite for sociaizing anyway? If it was, it would form a cliquey, segregated game.

This saddens me.

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515
    I can't speak for anyone else but given Arenanet's willingnes to ban players for saying anything less than pc and there heavy handed forum moderation, I'm actually reluctant to say anything in open chat for fear of losing my account.
    Perhaps I'm not the only one with that fear in the back of their mind.