Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 The most unsocial MMO I have ever played

WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

C'mon I thought pretty much all new MMO's were nothing but solo online games but GW2 takes the grand prize here. No one groups at all, ever...

I feel like I am playing a solo game.

I havent played a solo rpg in like 10 yrs and this aspect of GW2 is driving me absolutly crazy. I play MMO's to interact and overcome challenges with like minded players I meet in game.

I left TERA for this?

I like the games asthetics and artwork but this lack of any social interaction is killing me and I see myself going back to TERA pretty soon now.

There is just really not much point in lvling to 80 if I am doing it without mingling with a single real life human being?

Is this what our society has become? Anti social freAKS THAT ARE HATING ON EVERY OTHER HUMAN BEING ON THE PLANET? iT'S BAD ENOUGH driving around in my car and observing how pissed off about 90% of everyone I meet is but it should be different in an mmo game where everyone is expected to have fun in an online game.

ANyone else feel this way.

I am not in a guild yet so hopefully when and if I get in one this will change or it will sadly be uninstalled and sold to a friend.

Comments

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831

I have the exact opposite feeling.  Maybe it's because I just got done with two single-player MMOs in TOR and TSW, but I find GW2 to be refreshingly group-heavy.  The only difference is you don't actually have to form the group.  You're just always grouped with everyone around you.  I love it.

Thet last time I socialized in a game without a guild was Shadowbane, back in the days of getting 10 people together and grinding out mob pulls for hours and hours without end.  Do you really want to go back to those days?  What is it you want exactly?  What would make the game more "social" for you, short of being Ultima Online or like you said...joining a guild like you would have to do in any MMO these days from WoW on-down.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Try your last sentence first please. Doesn't matter what game you play, if you play it solo, it will feel solo. If you try and join in a community, it will feel like it has one.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Um, can you tell us what happened? Obviously something someone did in game pissed you off but I'm not sure it's from the design of the game.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

GW2 is the most Themeparked game ever created. And just like a real theme park there is no reason to talk to anyone that is not in the group you went to the park with. Sure you might say hello and smile at a few strangers while waiting in line for a ride, but the only people you actually communicate with are the family and/or friends you went with. GW2's problem is that large percentage of the players went to the park alone, hoping that someone would want to talk to them, only to find out that no one does.

• truthhurtstruthhurts Member Posts: 74
    Its the players, not the game in this one.  Rift was actually worse.  I wouldnt consider either game to have antisocial game play by a long shot, just antisocial players.
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Did they ignore you when you try to talk to them?
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Wrender

C'mon I thought pretty much all new MMO's were nothing but solo online games but GW2 takes the grand prize here. No one groups at all, ever...

Actually you dont just realize that you're in a zone wide group all the time, and the group chat is /m.

True story, we were playing the game with my brother few days back and guess what, we didnt form a group because there's no point really unless you want to see a little dot on the map and talk in private chat, all the contributions / loots / xp / etc gets shared anyway if you take part in anything going on.

Originally posted by SuperDonk

GW2 is the most Themeparked game ever created. And just like a real theme park there is no reason to talk to anyone that is not in the group you went to the park with. Sure you might say hello and smile at a few strangers while waiting in line for a ride, but the only people you actually communicate with are the family and/or friends you went with. GW2's problem is that large percentage of the players went to the park alone, hoping that someone would want to talk to them, only to find out that no one wants to.

What's the solution here?  Force grouping and no group finder features?  Not sure what Arenanet could have done to make this game more group-heavy then to have everyone always grouped all the time.  Short of that they can't make you talk to the people around you.

Originally posted by Kuinn

Actually you dont just realize that you're in a zone wide group all the time, and the group chat is /m.

This is so true.  This is not the MMO you are used to.  It's a new paradigm and this is one of the new realities.

----------

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Being auto-grouped hasn't made people much more sociable. Most still just run off in all directions when the DE ends. But it's not really a game problem, it's a people problem.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I have to agree, there's just no social interaction at all, because you don't need to be social, there's no reason to, even /m is pretty quiet considering how many people are playing this game.

On top of that you can't see anything about a person(no inspecting), can't duel, partying doesn't provide any benefits, there's really no reason to talk to anyone and therefore nobody talks.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

GW2 is the most Themeparked game ever created. And just like a real theme park there is no reason to talk to anyone that is not in the group you went to the park with. Sure you might say hello and smile at a few strangers while waiting in line for a ride, but the only people you actually communicate with are the family and/or friends you went with. GW2's problem is that large percentage of the players went to the park alone, hoping that someone would want to talk to them, only to find out that no one does.

Now that's just really sad. Guess I'm cancelling my trip to disneyland next month as well.

Originally posted by Korusus

GW2 is the most Themeparked game ever created. And just like a real theme park there is no reason to talk to anyone that is not in the group you went to the park with. Sure you might say hello and smile at a few strangers while waiting in line for a ride, but the only people you actually communicate with are the family and/or friends you went with. GW2's problem is that large percentage of the players went to the park alone, hoping that someone would want to talk to them, only to find out that no one wants to.

What's the solution here?  Force grouping and no group finder features?  Not sure what Arenanet could have done to make this game more group-heavy then to have everyone always grouped all the time.  Short of that they can't make you talk to the people around you.

When the rides don't need group strategy, there is no reason to talk. On some level, the lack of the holy triangle creates this, imo. If there were rides that only worked when people had to communicate, people would.

As players, you can force the conversation if you want to, but it doesn't mean that the other people will be interested in it or engage you if there is no real reason too.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

So I take it you haven't tried any dungeons or WvW.  A lot of DE's are group specific too to where you need to kill a champion type boss to complete it.  None of those are  solo affairs.     Basically if you need to go through the motions of  a series of clicks to have someone's name pasted to the left of your screen to accomplish tasks, then maybe GW2 isn't for you?  These games are what you make of them.  I actually havn't been this social in current mmo's in a while.  Then again if all you do is pve, which is your right of course, you will probably experience less people wanting to sit around and chat about the weather or what ever.

Oh and in before , "You are not alone, derp"

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Originally posted by Pivotelite

I have to agree, there's just no social interaction at all, because you don't need to be social, there's no reason to, even /m is pretty quiet considering how many people are playing this game.

On top of that you can't see anything about a person(no inspecting), can't duel, partying doesn't provide any benefits, there's really no reason to talk to anyone and therefore nobody talks.

Pathetic. Skyrim is sounding pretty awesome right now.

Wat about  The Secret World? Is it any different because I was interested in trying it simply for the challenge everyone is saying it can be tough as hell later lvls...

Now that's just really sad. Guess I'm cancelling my trip to disneyland next month as well.

You don't have to cancel, just bring family or friends with you. Just don't expect to make any new friends while your there.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506

In my experience GW2 is extremely anti-social. Probably the most anti-social MMO (if you even want to call it an MMO) I've ever partaken in. There's no need to group-up and coordinate with other players while leveling. Everyone is a one man army in a sea of zerg.

I've yet to interact with any other player outside of my RL friends and the random guild invite and I'm now level 65.

For those who are going to say "join a guild", well... I often join a guild through interaction with other players in-game that I meet along the way.

When the rides don't need group strategy, there is no reason to talk. On some level, the lack of the holy triangle creats this, imo. If there were rides that only worked when people had to communicate, people would.

You can force conversation if you want to, but it doesn't mean that the other people will be interested in it or engage you if there is no real reason too.

Okay...holy trinity is only relevant inside dungeons.  And those already exist in GW2, even without holy trinity.  And since GW2 doesn't use holy trinity you do have to talk to your group to organize a strategy.

As I suspected, you aren't really looking for a real solution.  You just want to criticize GW2 for not...what exactly?  Require grouping for levelling?  How are DE's not a superior option to the old-fashioned single-player quest grinds prevelant since WoW?

You don't want a solution though.  You want to critize everyone else for not typing enough.  Or something.  This thread seems silly and useless tbh.

Wat about  The Secret World? Is it any different because I was interested in trying it simply for the challenge everyone is saying it can be tough as hell later lvls...
    The Secret World is just as much a single-player quest grind outside of 5-mans just like every other MMO released in the last decade except...ironically...Guild Wars 2.

----------

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464
    Depends what you mean with socializing. Do you mean talking? Or do you mean playing with others? Because I've played with others much more than I did in other MMOs and the reason is that the game mechanics encourage it as opposed to mose other MMOs. I want to play with others not chat with them and with GW2 I can do that without with more success than other MMOs.
    Originally posted by rodingo

So I take it you haven't tried any dungeons or WvW.  A lot of DE's are group specific too to where you need to kill a champion type boss to complete it.  None of those are  solo affairs.     Basically if you need to go through the motions of  a series of clicks to have someone's name pasted to the left of your screen to accomplish tasks, then maybe GW2 isn't for you?  These games are what you make of them.  I actually havn't been this social in current mmo's in a while.  Then again if all you do is pve, which is your right of course, you will probably experience less people wanting to sit around and chat about the weather or what ever.

Oh and in before , "You are not alone, derp"

But did you or they actually speak to one another?

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Nice analogy but doesn't fit GW2.  There is no other game out there right now that provides as much player interaction while you adventure.  If you don't believe me think of how many people have revived or rezed you while doing an event.  Or read the tooltips on almost all abilities with boons attached to them.  See the part that says "allies"? They aren't talking about just group mates.  The reason you'll probably never have conversations with the people you're doing events with is there is usually something going on around the bend.  If you want structured socializing you need to do it yourself.

There are angles to come at GW2 on but it's social aspect is not one of them.

When the rides don't need group strategy, there is no reason to talk. On some level, the lack of the holy triangle creats this, imo. If there were rides that only worked when people had to communicate, people would.

You can force conversation if you want to, but it doesn't mean that the other people will be interested in it or engage you if there is no real reason too.

Okay...holy trinity is only relevant inside dungeons.  And those already exist in GW2, even without holy trinity.  And since GW2 doesn't use holy trinity you do have to talk to your group to organize a strategy.

As I suspected, you aren't really looking for a real solution.  You just want to criticize GW2 for not...what exactly?  Require grouping for levelling?  How are DE's not a superior option to the old-fashioned single-player quest grinds prevelant since WoW?

You don't want a solution though.  You want to critize everyone else for not typing enough.  Or something.  This thread seems silly and useless tbh.

The Secret World is just as much a single-player quest grind outside of 5-mans just like every other MMO released in the last decade except...ironically...Guild Wars 2.

Yes because I'm the only one who feels like GW2 is the most antisocial MMO I have ever played, and that includes SWTOR, the champion of solo story MMO.

• gekkothegreygekkothegrey Member Posts: 236
    Your just playing it wrong its called Guild Wars for a reason you need to get in a guild with vc.
  • drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Yeah... even in SWTOR I had more human interaction. At least I would occasionally group up with players to do those 4-man quests. Ah well.

Yes because I'm the only one who feels like GW2 is the most antisocial MMO I have ever played, and that includes SWTOR, the champion of solo story MMO.

That's why this thread is ridiculous.  I suspect neither you nor the OP have actually played GW2 with comments like that. 

Originally posted by drakaena
    Yeah... even in SWTOR I had more human interaction. At least I would occasionally group up with players to do those 4-man quests. Ah well.
    Nothing in GW2 forces you to play without a group.  In fact, you can even group with some friends and play all the content in the game without being penalized for being grouped like most MMOs do on "solo" content.  There is no exclusively "solo" content in GW2.

----------