Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions about Eve Online

TasiaZaulTasiaZaul Member UncommonPosts: 9

Hi,  I have only ever played MUDs and a while ago Eve Online was recommended to me.  I have come to this site because I cannot find any Eve based forum that you can join without actually being signed up for the game.  I  hope this is the right place for me to start getting answers to some of the questions I have.

The thing that has delayed me trying it was the fact that the initial download is said to be a big one and I am on a service that has limited download per month.

So my first question is does anyone have a reasonably accurate idea of how big a download I would be looking at?

Then I just have a bunch of questions about the game itself.  I have been doing a lot of reading but would like to clarfiy some stuff before I commit myself to what I believe is a pretty intense experience.  And as I have never played a graphic-based game of any type, I can't help thinking my learning curve is gonna be just that extra bit steeper.

If this is not the right place for me to be asking these questions then please point me to the right forum.

Thanks,  Tasia

Comments

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

My Steam states it is 8891 mb of info.

I could try to answer some questions.  I've played in for about 5 months over a 2 year period, and I still don't know too much about it :p.  I can try to answer them though.

• TasiaZaulTasiaZaul Member UncommonPosts: 9

10 gb sounds good - 9 is even better,  I could handle that.  I dont think I have 26 questions.  Over time they might add up to that.

Okay let me start with just a few questions:

1. Plex.   I have seen on the eve online forums people in a buddy system giving newbies (I guess) ISK and plex(?) through paypal accounts.   How do you give ingame money through a paypal account?

2.  PvP.  Also the guy who told me about eve said that as a newbie none of the pvp would affect me.   In the forums, however, there are posts from newbies about wars being declared on them and how nowhere in Eve is safe from griefers.  The game I play now allows pvp by consent which I think is reasonable and while I have seen bullying of newbies in it,  it is generally pretty rare and frowned upon.   Newbies usually have enough trouble trying to figure out how to put one foot infront on another for a week or two so having someone target me while I am learning the basics of the game doesnt inspire me to spend my limited free cash on it.  

Darn,  the more I think about it the more questions I have.   

3.  Race.  I have also read about how important the race you choose is,  and from that flows corporations...  like guilds I guess.  So did either of you guys find that the race you chose was a deal breaker?  And where can I get detailed information about what the limitations and advantages of each race are?   and what racial features they have?

3a.  Race 2. I did a little test on the eve site about what my personality was suited to.   It said explorer.. that sounds good to me..  Would any particular race be better for that?

4.  Graphic based games.  Am I just thinking this over too much,  the greatest thing that makes me hesitate is it being a graphic based game.  I am not sure how different it will be to the MUDs I have played.

That is enough for starters,   I am sure I have more questions.

ooh  here is one last one

5. The Good Guys.   What really comes across on the forums is how eve is a pvp game.  And they are very vocal in the posts about if ya dont like it leave and how if this was real this is how nasty it would be.   I dont believe that.  I think the universe would have some people out there with standards involving good manners and I am wondering in all my reading why I havent come across the forces for good ( or just anti-griefers ).  Not the mercs who I see as griefers who are for hire,  but people interested in putting down the griefers.  Or am I just being too optimistic?   :-)

Okay that is enough for starters.  Thanks for touching base with me.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by TasiaZaul

10 gb sounds good - 9 is even better,  I could handle that.  I dont think I have 26 questions.  Over time they might add up to that.

Okay let me start with just a few questions:

1. Plex.   I have seen on the eve online forums people in a buddy system giving newbies (I guess) ISK and plex(?) through paypal accounts.   How do you give ingame money through a paypal account?

2.  PvP.  Also the guy who told me about eve said that as a newbie none of the pvp would affect me.   In the forums, however, there are posts from newbies about wars being declared on them and how nowhere in Eve is safe from griefers.  The game I play now allows pvp by consent which I think is reasonable and while I have seen bullying of newbies in it,  it is generally pretty rare and frowned upon.   Newbies usually have enough trouble trying to figure out how to put one foot infront on another for a week or two so having someone target me while I am learning the basics of the game doesnt inspire me to spend my limited free cash on it.  

Darn,  the more I think about it the more questions I have.   

3.  Race.  I have also read about how important the race you choose is,  and from that flows corporations...  like guilds I guess.  So did either of you guys find that the race you chose was a deal breaker?  And where can I get detailed information about what the limitations and advantages of each race are?   and what racial features they have?

3a.  Race 2. I did a little test on the eve site about what my personality was suited to.   It said explorer.. that sounds good to me..  Would any particular race be better for that?

4.  Graphic based games.  Am I just thinking this over too much,  the greatest thing that makes me hesitate is it being a graphic based game.  I am not sure how different it will be to the MUDs I have played.

That is enough for starters,   I am sure I have more questions.

ooh  here is one last one

5. The Good Guys.   What really comes across on the forums is how eve is a pvp game.  And they are very vocal in the posts about if ya dont like it leave and how if this was real this is how nasty it would be.   I dont believe that.  I think the universe would have some people out there with standards involving good manners and I am wondering in all my reading why I havent come across the forces for good ( or just anti-griefers ).  Not the mercs who I see as griefers who are for hire,  but people interested in putting down the griefers.  Or am I just being too optimistic?   :-)

Okay that is enough for starters.  Thanks for touching base with me.

I'll try and explain the answers as best I can.  I too played MUDs, so welcome to you!

1.  PLEX is an in-game item.  It is originally sold by the game's company, CCP, for real money.  It can be sold, traded, given away, or used in game.  If you use it in game, you gain 30 days subscription.  Thus it is very valuable.  The buddy system is fairly simple, let me explain it.  A person sends an automatically generated email with a link in it to his buddy.  The buddy signs up using the link.  The person who referred his buddy to EVE gets then a PLEX in game, or simply 30 days of time to his account, at his choice.  Thus some people refer "buddies" to gain a PLEX, sell the PLEX in game for in-game money, and split the profits with the newcomer.

2. PVP is at the core of the game.  Some sections of space, such as where you start, offers some protection.  You CAN still be destroyed while flying about, but in the higher security space, this comes at the cost of aggressors ships.  In a player formed corporation, other corporations can declare war on you, and then you are fair game for them anywhere, even in high-security space.  The starting and NPC corporations are immune to wars.

3. Race offers a cosmetic look for your character, a set of starting skills, and determines where in the galaxy you begin.  There are no racial abilities, and any race can learn another race's ships.  There are no races more for exploring than others, but each race has several ships that offer a bonus to exploration type activiites.

4. Graphics based games are different than MUDs, sure, but EVE is a good one due to the emphasis on character.  That is, you can build up a reputation or notoriety in the game with the other players more so than other similar games.

5. "It could be said that the world is almost completely full of honest people, but I prefer to say the world is completely full of almost honest people." -- Aura, EVE Online.  Be careful who you trust, don't give away your precious assets to just anyone, and forming friends and allies in this game is invaluable.

Despite the war chance, I'd still recommend joining a player corporation.  Even one that might not be good, just join.  This gives you valuable experience in them, someone to talk to and learn from, and adds to your "employment history".

If you have more questions ask away!  Or feel free to PM me.  Once you get started in game I'd be happy to answer questions for you there as well.

Hi Kadepsyson,

>> The buddy system is fairly simple, let me explain it.  A person sends an automatically generated email with a link in it to his buddy.  The buddy signs up using the link.  The person who referred his buddy to EVE gets then a PLEX in game, or simply 30 days of time to his account, at his choice. <<

Okay I mostly understand that, but a person already has to be in the game to use the link surely and given that how can they be considered referred?    So the CCP offer people a PLEX as inducement to encourage people to join Eve?

You changed #5 from Good guys v Griefers to Honesty..  which is another issue altogether.  I must admit I had not thought of that because the MUDs I have played dont really give newbies anything worth stealing  :-)   But thank you for the advice.

Question 5 still stands.

Oh here is another question.  To the newbies a lot of posts said join the University,  but one post was by a player who said he applied to the university but was refused and he cannot find out why.   I must admit I am curious about what criteria they use to admit people.

And thank you for the extended hand.  I will try Eve but it might be nearer Xmas before I can give the time to it I think it will require.   Meanwhile I will do all the reading I can, and there seems to be plenty of it.

ps  how did you put your quote in a box?

Originally posted by TasiaZaul

Hi Kadepsyson,

>> The buddy system is fairly simple, let me explain it.  A person sends an automatically generated email with a link in it to his buddy.  The buddy signs up using the link.  The person who referred his buddy to EVE gets then a PLEX in game, or simply 30 days of time to his account, at his choice. <<

Okay I mostly understand that, but a person already has to be in the game to use the link surely and given that how can they be considered referred?    So the CCP offer people a PLEX as inducement to encourage people to join Eve?

You changed #5 from Good guys v Griefers to Honesty..  which is another issue altogether.  I must admit I had not thought of that because the MUDs I have played dont really give newbies anything worth stealing  :-)   But thank you for the advice.

Question 5 still stands.

Oh here is another question.  To the newbies a lot of posts said join the University,  but one post was by a player who said he applied to the university but was refused and he cannot find out why.   I must admit I am curious about what criteria they use to admit people.

And thank you for the extended hand.  I will try Eve but it might be nearer Xmas before I can give the time to it I think it will require.   Meanwhile I will do all the reading I can, and there seems to be plenty of it.

ps  how did you put your quote in a box?

There's a button at the bottom of the post you want to quote labeled as quote hehe.  Sorry I missed the point of number 5.  The "good guys" in EVE are essentially people you yourself know and have come to trust.  There are some anti-pirate player corporations, though in my experience this is very difficult.  It is hard to consider someone a pirate vs a pvp-er for fun in the few seconds you get to decide whether or not to engage them.

The person who wants to join EVE gets a link in their email from the person already in the game.  They use that link from the person in the game, to sign up for a NEW account.  It cannot be an account from Steam, or an account already on a trial period.  PLEX is 30 days of gametime if you use it yourself, the other option as a reward for successfully getting someone referred and signed up is 30 days of gametime, no in game item required.  So people choose the PLEX reward, and then either use it for gametime, or sell it to another player for the in game currency.

EVE University is often referred to as 'the' go to place for new players.  Unfortunately they can't take everyone and can't take everyone right away.  So sometimes there are waiting periods.  Also there is a strict commitment period and other rules.  If you leave the EVE University before your time is up, I don't think they let you back in later.

Also, a newbie in EVE has not much worth stealing either.  However, some people get enjoyment out of killing any sort of player.

I sent you a private message (not about referrals ha), which you can check at the top of the page.  There is a lot to read on it yeah, but a lot of the fun can come through experience too.

Edit: I should also note that a referal benifits the new player by offering them an extended trial - an extra week of free play with no credit card entry required.  If they choose to upgrade to a subscription, then the person who sent them the link gets the reward.  If they quit playing, nothings gets charged and no rewards are given, really no harm done.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Just remember the cardinal rule.

Never fly what you can't afford to lose.

Oh yes, and check out the EVE forums on this site for useful info.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

if you're looking for a site/forum with info head on over to failheap-challenge. 

I just want to reiterate that the information you got on races is severely outdated, all you get now is a few hours worth of training into that race's frigate/weapons.

For the  buddy invite program, you can post an eve-mail here and get an invite. Understand that when you activate your account you'll create a plex for the person who invited you, I'd give 400 mil isk if you activate on an invite of mine.

don't worry about being attacked in highsec. Understand that all financial offers or contracts you see linked or mentioned in local are scams. ALL of them.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    If you have as limited a bandwidth setting as you say then an MMO may not be for  you unless you plan to play it very casually.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    If you have as limited a bandwidth setting as you say then an MMO may not be for  you unless you plan to play it very casually.

Online gaming uses very little bandwidth, something like 20 MB an hour. OP won't have an issue after the initial download.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Robokapp

also what not to do:

1) buy big ship with all the money you have. maybe sell some stuff to afford it.

2) not insure it since you have no money left.

3) name it "ThePwn".

4) Fly it into a gatecamp in lowsec.

It hurt...a lot.

Was this from personal experience? you know you can tell us its all among friends. image

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

When you say limited bandwidth you mean my monthly download?  Sorry if I sound confused but I was under the impression that the major download involved with playing eve was the initial one.  Would playing eve say 5/6 hours a day use more than say 600 mb a day?   Dang I hope not.  I have been slowly working up playing eve.

>>Oh yes, and check out the EVE forums on this site for useful info.<<  Kyleran I found these last night just before I closed.. and I cant find them today!!  I have tried searching for eve but it doesnt come up..  and I cant seem to search categories.. that is how I originally found them..  perhaps you could post a link?  I did try bookmarking them but the bookmark just got me back to the general site, not the specific forum I was reading by Jita.

Yanno Robo  now I have a really strong desire to name my first megaship "The Pawn"  I have the temerity to whack the a in there.  :-)    But if I can afford to play Eve I will try not to have neon lights flashing around me.

Ahh I see while I have been writing this Draron has come up with a figure of 20mb/hr   that I can handle!  *woot*

And Sketocafe thanks for the offer.  I am currently just trying to get my head around what to expect in my first graphic-based game.  RL issues probably mean that it will be a few months yet before I can join eve.  But I love the anticipation and preparation..  sooo much fun.

Thank you everyone who has replied to my post,  MMORPG is a really great site,  cant think why I havent been here before, I have travelled far and wide in cyberspace..  so much to see and only one life.

If you click the "Forums" button category at the top of the site, then head on the left column to the "Game Forums" section, under there in the D-F category is EVE Online.  It's near the start of the E section because it's awesome.
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    If you click the "Forums" button category at the top of the site, then head on the left column to the "Game Forums" section, under there in the D-F category is EVE Online.  It's near the start of the E section because it's awesome.

Right under my nose all the time!  Thanks again.  

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Originally posted by Robokapp

also what not to do:

1) buy big ship with all the money you have. maybe sell some stuff to afford it.

2) not insure it since you have no money left.

3) name it "ThePwn".

4) Fly it into a gatecamp in lowsec.

It hurt...a lot.

i hope to God you recorded this and put it to the Imperial March ( the empire strikes back) soundtrack somewhere.....