Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My views of the professions so far in GW2 (and my overall problem)

Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

So I have tried every profession besides engineer and warrior... because I need an element of magic for me to "like" a profession:

Warriors - hard hitting and hard to kill; seem to be generally strong, but seem to be vulnerable (more so than other profs) to debuffs.

Engineers - have no clue what they do besides shoot.  I do know my guardian does well versus them even at extreme lvl differences in WvW.

Mesmers - seem to be a lot of flash and trcikery, but little "bang".  They seem to be immensely useful in pvp because several mesmers can cause kill hungry zerglings to waste a lot of time.  They seem to be fairly weak in pve except for "tanking" and I mean diverting aggression around.

Guardians - strong in pve, pvp and are tanky regardless of health total... in pvp they are either the lock down guy in the assist train or support/medic... this could be my main at some point.

Elementalist - can't get into their playstyle at all; seem strong overall; weak 1 on 1 .. strong when in a group. 

Necromancer - currently TRYING to make this work as they are uncommon to see.  Seem to be great at causing trouble and hard to focus down, but lack stopping power when needed.... however this may be dur to inexperience. In Spvp I could cause a lot of damage yet kill no one.  Could be a sign of a decent group class(profession).

Thief - Absolutely love this class/profession... you are very mobile and by far the most mobile in the game.. high 1 on 1 damage, however can be killed very quickly.  I want to play this, but it seems like all I see are thieves (and they have really bad names too)

Ranger -Only lightly played... 2nd most seen besides a thief.. seems viable all over and they have the best range.  I don't like the ranger skill set personally as it feels very unrangerish to me.  Plus they are very common so my original snowflake side is butt hurt.

So it seems like my only option is a guardian (which I don't like playing outside of pvp) or a thief which are a dime a dozen (on my server anyhow).

I'm trying a necromancer just because they might even be less common than a mesmer (people are catching on that mesmers are amazing fighting with and against zergs).

What would you guys do?

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    i recommend thief -- there may be many of them (i wouldnt know) but its a class you enjoy
  • TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

My Necromancer is hard to kill in WvW, I have so many ways to get health back and stay alive.  Last night my roommate who is an Elementalist and I ran around WvW looking for fights.  Found one vs 7 other players.  He had to run out of combat and back in a few differen times, I never had to run.  We died but took some with us.

My DPS is not great but I can stay alive which helps.

Sooner or Later

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158

Engineer is a very fun class to play. He depends a lot on stacking debuffs on a target and in my opinion can really control the battlefield. Personally in pvp situations I use engineer for his crowd control and debuff abilities. He can't reach the dmg other classes can but he can hold his own quite well.

Personally I only have a disadvantage against mesmers, guardians so far (only cause you mentioned them) seemed like a fancy warrior, which means easy to deal with if they have the wrong weapons up

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Warrior bec who doesn't like to be the big sword weilding maniac. Much diversity, skills aren't absolutly awful for most weapons and the extra skills add a lot of variety. Though don't use banners, they are annoying, get in the way and the radius on them sucks. Not worth the effort.
  • WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

I play Necro, lvl 62ish. I can throw out some massive AoE dps in a short time. And if I get a 2nd Necro with 1 skill it doubles it all. So we coordinate in vent and in WvW or PvE it's just not even fair haha. He's only lvl 10 and having a blast in PvP doing this, he throw a couple conditions out than when I say boom, massive AoE bleeds. Same in PvE, I walk through DE's with multiple mobs. Hardest part is the bleeds don't last long enough to kill tough mobs, like veterans or sometimes the higher HP mobs like ettins. Most others drop within 12 seconds though.

My Necro has some good survivability though. Nothing like warriors/gaurdians, but much better than most other classes. I'm also kind of a glass cannon bleed build so, I lack toughness.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    All ypu see is thieves? They were voted the second least common class after mesmer and I rarely see any other thieves on my server... Play on a server with a sneaky name?
  • rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

i also liked the guardian best. Theres so many ways to build your character its hard to figure it all out.

At first i liked the scepter and torch with the staff...then i went to the two hander sword.. then the hammer than the mace and the scord.. lol ..now im partial to the scepter and the focus..itlll probabally take me all 80 levels to figure out my final build.

then i had a precision build..then a healing one..i cant even get into the traits...lol

i tried most of the other classes but i think many years of clerics and healers in others games is swaying my choice.

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

I am playing a Necro. I haven't tried any other class so far.

I have had some ups and downs as I learn the different skills appropriate to my play style.

I agree that my overall damage is a bit low compared to other classes but I can survive many holy shit moments when things get out of hand.

One of the things I enjoy the most about playing a Necro is that I certainly have to be very mobile. Tera kind of trained me to think that one has to stand still whilst casting and I have been working hard to get used to being able to cast things on the move.

The other thing I have been trying to get better handle on is how long my summoned minions can survive. Sometimes they get one or two hit and other time they can take an onslaught that surprises me.

All in all, I am having fun.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by Angier2758

So I have tried every profession besides engineer and warrior... because I need an element of magic for me to "like" a profession:

Warriors - hard hitting and hard to kill; seem to be generally strong, but seem to be vulnerable (more so than other profs) to debuffs.

Engineers - have no clue what they do besides shoot.  I do know my guardian does well versus them even at extreme lvl differences in WvW.

Mesmers - seem to be a lot of flash and trcikery, but little "bang".  They seem to be immensely useful in pvp because several mesmers can cause kill hungry zerglings to waste a lot of time.  They seem to be fairly weak in pve except for "tanking" and I mean diverting aggression around.

Guardians - strong in pve, pvp and are tanky regardless of health total... in pvp they are either the lock down guy in the assist train or support/medic... this could be my main at some point.

Elementalist - can't get into their playstyle at all; seem strong overall; weak 1 on 1 .. strong when in a group. 

Necromancer - currently TRYING to make this work as they are uncommon to see.  Seem to be great at causing trouble and hard to focus down, but lack stopping power when needed.... however this may be dur to inexperience. In Spvp I could cause a lot of damage yet kill no one.  Could be a sign of a decent group class(profession).

Thief - Absolutely love this class/profession... you are very mobile and by far the most mobile in the game.. high 1 on 1 damage, however can be killed very quickly.  I want to play this, but it seems like all I see are thieves (and they have really bad names too)

Ranger -Only lightly played... 2nd most seen besides a thief.. seems viable all over and they have the best range.  I don't like the ranger skill set personally as it feels very unrangerish to me.  Plus they are very common so my original snowflake side is butt hurt.

So it seems like my only option is a guardian (which I don't like playing outside of pvp) or a thief which are a dime a dozen (on my server anyhow).

I'm trying a necromancer just because they might even be less common than a mesmer (people are catching on that mesmers are amazing fighting with and against zergs).

What would you guys do?

Keep in mind Profs play very differently depending on weapon/utility/trait selection. You mention warriors as weak to debuffs, but warriros have some amazing condition removal sets.

My Mesmer is a sword+pistol/staff, I spend about 99% of my time in melee in pve...and as long as I'm not stupid I'm unkillable. Don't count out mesmer tanking. Blurred frenzy, magic bullet, signet of domination, distortion shatters...I can have near 50% uptime of "takes no damage because I'm eitehr invuln or the mob is stunned" or better. dodge rolls and condition spam keep me alive and happy.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    I absolutely love my thief.  I go pistol/dagger for pve because it makes me feel like Im wesker.  Yknoe...Teleport around, stealth -> rapid fire, etc.  Simply Awesome...I tried to take the name albert wesker but it was already taken :( sad day.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I'm sure some people don't realise that swapping weapons back and forth in a fight opens up a lot more in the way of tactics, simply because you get a wider range of spells.  While one set is mostly on cooldown, swap to the other wepons and use the spells that come with those. All it takes is clicking te "swap weapons" button as and when you need to..

A word about the much maligned Engineer....  it's a great class, but you need to think about what you are doing.  By choosing skills you get healing turrets as well as gun turrets, and spending a few skill points means you can change your standard weapon skills back and forth to medi-kit, grenade or flamethrower abilities.  All that and my Engineer is only 15!

Be inventive, people. :)

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by TdogSkal

My Necromancer is hard to kill in WvW, I have so many ways to get health back and stay alive.  Last night my roommate who is an Elementalist and I ran around WvW looking for fights.  Found one vs 7 other players.  He had to run out of combat and back in a few differen times, I never had to run.  We died but took some with us.

My DPS is not great but I can stay alive which helps.

Yea I fought one in WvW, he owned me lol. I know I'm level 80 with decent gear, I am assuming he was and had decent gear as well but was very hard to kill. I also need to work on my build(haven't unlocked all my traits yet)

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Thornz2000Thornz2000 Member Posts: 135

My eng does well for levleing with sentries, in PvP I use my Elixer gun and elixers and heal / buff my team.

I think the eng class does the best support.

The world we know is going away http://www.graystatemovie.com/
    Look up Agenda 21 as well.

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

Playing mostly Necro, Rifle Warrior and Scepter Mesmer so far.

Necro has obscene damage and survivability if you play smartly and manage to swap weapons well. It is a nice class, but harder to master than most think.

I couldn't disagree more about your definition of Mesmers. Sword/Pistol is a beast at PvE, and I giggle like a 12 year-old schoolgirl when I play Scepter/Torch+ Staff at PvP.If you are smart and build a little tanky, you are VERY hard to put down.

Warrior Rifle is my stress-relief class. Find a Thief running Crit builds, wreck him with 3 shots at 1.200 distance.

All in all, I think your definitions are very strange. Good Engineers are a nightmare to fight against.

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301

Well - i have a lvl80 Necro (on Piken something server - the unofficial RP one in EU) and i love it

Too bad almost all the lvl75 and upwards zones are buggy as hell - so i begined lvling my mesmer and left my necro for now.

Anyhow PM me if you wish - i will link the build i am using - but FYI - i am a minion guy. Doesn't work well so far on dungeons (even though not sure about this - i have only done the 1st dungeon of the game and it was when i was like very low lvl - around lvl40 i think). but anyways i use traits to make my minions have 50% more health, do more dmg etc (there are 3 main traits i use for that) and they cannot be killed. Not to mention you have the elit minion which is the best - he CAN actually TANK for you if you play it right... (YES - he can aggro mobs to attack him - heres hoping they won't nerf it)

As for weapons i found having a staff as o/h and any other combination works. I just love Daggers (mostly because they are great for lvling in pve as you can swap them on either hand - which comes usefull) - and what i do is dmg as much as possible to begin with (and minions o/c attack), and then swap to staff and do a lot of condition dmg. Notice while doing it to always repeat using skill #2 on the staff as it gives regeneration and it will simply not only keep you alive but at almost full health and i managed to kite as lvl80 even 5-6 lvl80 mobs like that.

Also notive that you will need at least one trait or even better a skill (like number 7 or 8) to be some-kind of boon remover as i think its my hcar weakest point - i found myself at times kite like 5-6 mobs , kill them all and then almost die because of a bleed or something - so whatch out on that department.

Overwhole you are around lvl62 - this is where this build gets better and better - so stick to it :-)

BTW as lvl80 i have no problem soloing veterans - even a few of them at a time(as i have an ARMY under my control).

Ohh - and if anyone is also intrested in this build of mine say so here and i think i have a way to link my entire build through another site (even though i need to build it there 1st)

Just my 2 cents...

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    All the facts u mention can be covered by your team mates. Team play is your friend
  • Look at the whole combo of race and profession.  That will help you be more snow flakey.  For example a Norn Thief can't be as common to see as an Asuran Thief.

Build the character oddly - beefier or willowier than the normal - shorter or taller - it's actually makes you stop and wonder when you see a tall asuran for example.

Other thing to do is to change up armor colors drastically from your starter choices - having a guardian who doesn't wear blue stands out more than one who does.

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512
    Originally posted by Angier2758

What would you guys do?

Stop worrying about what classes other people are playing...