Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Are People Upset About GW2's Overwhelming Success?

Comments

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by MosesZD

Ah, I guess you don't follow the news.   This game is #1 everywhere.  Uhm, no. Not really. Ill just use Gamespot for reference where Mark of the Ninja is #1 overall yesterday. The same list that had Tera as #1 for about a week. Yeah, so much for credability.

The first PC game to be the #1 game on the sales charts in two years. Diablo III doesn't exist in your world I guess.

Over 400K concurrent users at lauch, the highest number ever.  For NCSoft.

Over 1 million games in early access, the higest number ever.  Where's your proof versus EVERY other MMO that ever came out?

Currently the most played MMO in the west.  Will be opening in China later.

But thanks for trying:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDW0ZnZxjn4

Thank for trying. GW2 pretty awesome game though, minus the fanboy/hater topics which r getting quite old.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Starpower
    Originally posted by Wolvards
    I love threads like these, really adds to the block list.

I thought I was the only one blocking people, based on the nonsense they write. It really saves time when reading threads. Once in a blue I check to see if I made a bad judgement call, if the person was just being tired, drunk or otherwise mentally indisposed. So far it's been right on the money.

We should trade lists sometime

Oh no, not the dreaded /block list!

The only thing worse is the /unfriended on Facebook!!

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Psychow

I thought I was the only one blocking people, based on the nonsense they write. It really saves time when reading threads. Once in a blue I check to see if I made a bad judgement call, if the person was just being tired, drunk or otherwise mentally indisposed. So far it's been right on the money.

The only thing worse if the /unfriended on Facebook!!

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by sonoggi
    maybe mmorpg.com is where these people congregate, which would explain the frequency of such strange threads, maybe it's their alts posting. but why would you be MAD about it bros? the game is epic, and even when u look at it completely objectively, at the very least it's above the average. 

Probably because in some guilds half their WoW population or whatever game that they were was playing left and went to play GW2 instead, so the remaining people have no friends to do instance/arena with and got mad about it.

Either that or they were Blizzard employees :P

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by Four0Six

If there was more realism, and less "Quest Hubs are Dead" articles, there would be a more real responce.

Agree completely.

Quest hubs are dead! Yay!

B2P is the new standard! Yay!

Holy Trinity is no more! Woot!!

No more raids! Yeah!!

Gear progression is gone foravah!! Praise all that is holy!!

Indeed.

And it's at least good at making us players think about which way we personally prefer these RPG elements.

Problem is...these splits in community when game design changes to follow the popular trends...usually get ugly.

Which makes forums epic.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    At this point, the moderators of MMORPG.com need to put a "I Hate GW2, and here is why..." thread and a "I love GW2, and here is why..." for consolidation purposes. Get's ridiculous to sift through all of these love/hate threads when each is saying the same thing over and over.  Granted most of these posts are only good for laughs and can't be taken seriously, but I'm still a "one-shop-stop" kinda guy and GW2 forums really does need some house cleaning at this moment.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Your post made me laugh image

It's just a smart editing process where you can filter things out that makes no sense. There are tons of posters with opposite opinions that presents their opinions intelligently and well. I get to read those while slimming down the pages a lot. It isn't really meant as an "unfriend" method or to tell people off. Nor a tool to avoid people who disagrees with your POV

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649
    Originally posted by rodingo
    At this point, the moderators of MMORPG.com need to put a "I Hate GW2, and here is why..." thread and a "I love GW2, and here is why..." for consolidation purposes. Get's ridiculous to sift through all of these love/hate threads when each is saying the same thing over and over.  Granted most of these posts are only good for laughs and can't be taken seriously, but I'm still a "one-shop-stop" kinda guy and GW2 forums really does need some house cleaning at this moment.

An option to elect not to see threads from certain sections would do wonders...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

It's just a smart editing process where you can filter things out that makes no sense. There are tons of posters with opposite opinions that presents their opinions intelligently and well. I get to read those while slimming down the pages a lot. It isn't really meant as an "unfriend" method or to tell people off. Nor a tool to avoid people who disagrees with your POV

Why does your owl-bear avatar have a boner??

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    maybe mmorpg.com is where these people congregate, which would explain the frequency of such strange threads, maybe it's their alts posting. but why would you be MAD about it bros? the game is epic, and even when u look at it completely objectively, at the very least it's above the average. 

"Overwhelming Success"? By who's standards? The game sold a 1/3rd of what was predicted by market analysts, and sold no where near as many copies as SWTOR did.

Not to mention B2P is almost impossible to judge "success" by since you never can get a clear indication other than logging in and looking around @ your server's population. Even then in highly instanced games it is often hard to see the numbers.

So please, provide evidence of the "Overwhelming Success" as right now it's only Average for a modern MMO at launch, however true success is not measured by the launch but by its retention and overall popularity 6months down the line.

For me, at least, the game is neither Epic nor "Above Average", but as others have said I didn't expect more or less from GW2 than Average pre-launch. It is, by far, the best Themepark MMO to date that has released post-WoW. However, people aren't angry about the success even if it were successful. People are angry at rabid fanbois claiming it is "THE" MMO, and are demanding it should be where the market goes (which many have said, even in the industry, is where the market won't be lead into).

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko

I think it's just a red lantern hanging in the backdrop

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by smh_alot
    - if you hate a game that I hate, then you're a smart and intelligent critic

- if you love a game that I hate, then you're a blind, delusional fanboi or a shill

- if you love a game that I love, then you show good taste and are a true MMO gamer

- if you hate a game that I love, then you're a bitter, smallminded hater and not a true lover of MMO's.

Mind if I borrow this for my sig?

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Icewhite

- if you hate a game that I hate, then you're a smart and intelligent critic

- if you love a game that I hate, then you're a blind, delusional fanboi or a shill

- if you love a game that I love, then you show good taste and are a true MMO gamer

- if you hate a game that I love, then you're a bitter, smallminded hater and not a true lover of MMO's.

-If you express no preference at all, one will be assigned to you (usually by the forum you're inhabiting at the moment).

Not sure why attacking men constructed of straw is so appealing to so many people, but there it is.

Yep, that's one I missed, but in the end just like the others it's also a derivative of the basic rule: if a person disagrees with your viewpoint, even if you're neutral or mixed of opinion, you'll be put in 'the other camp' (a critic'll start calling you blind fanboi, a fan'll start calling you a bitter hater, a bored troll'll call you whatever'll cause the most ruckus and flaming fun).

I think this OP and thread btw among many other threads is a shining example of it.
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

- if you hate a game that I hate, then you're a smart and intelligent critic   - if you love a game that I hate, then you're a blind, delusional fanboi or a shill   - if you love a game that I love, then you show good taste and are a true MMO gamer   - if you hate a game that I love, then you're a bitter, smallminded hater and not a true lover of MMO's.

Mind if I borrow this for my sig?

Lol. Sure, be my guest :)
  • Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Because my good sir,

It is another nail in the coffin, or the final nail in the coffin with developers actually creating a product worth the money they put into them. A product that actually innovates. A product that actually is Dynamic. No sorry GW2 isn't either of those. Innovate... tell me what did it innovate? Dynamic Events? They aren't Dynamic. Watch in three months time there will be a guide out there showing how to trigger each event. They are  webbed/static events, not a dynamic event. Certain things trigger others, but its all static. 

• WvW... Been done, argueably better in past games 
    • B2P? Rofl have fun paying for a game that has the same exact model as any other F2P game out there. Except ,and heres the kicker, you pay 60$ up front to play this F2P game.
    • No defined rolls? Look at any Skill based system.
    • Not locked to weapons? Yes but you are locked to weapon sets. Most skill based games have absolutely no locks on weapons.
    • Combat...? TERA, RaiderZ, C9, Blade n Soul, Vindictus etc. 

So as you can see. GW2 really isn't the Dynamic innovative world everyone portrays it as. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

Originally posted by Vunak23

GW2 really isn't the Dynamic innovative world everyone portrays it as. 

True. But as with many things, truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. It isn't the nirwana of happily ever changing world some were hoping for, but it's a step up from the traditional questing structure. As a foundation, it's a good base to build questing dynamics further on, to make interactivity, branching and large scale interacting global effects possible.
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko

I think it's just a red lantern hanging in the backdrop

ok  image

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Success will be determined in time. I am under the recommendation to play if you like it. Dont play if you dont like it. I still dont know what to expect from the game because it has been out two weeks. Lol. I can say however that after two weeks i had stopped playing swtor. On the other end of the spectrum i played wow up till halfway through the burning crusades life span. I loved darkfall for about 6 months yet i still hop on from time to time to get a fix. I suspect that anet knows it has a daunting road of churning out patches and content if it wishes to stay up to par of our fast food mentality. Lets just give it a few months. Worst case i dropped 60 bucks that i paid for a game i have thus far played for 2 weeks.
  • Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Vunak23

GW2 really isn't the Dynamic innovative world everyone portrays it as. 

True. But as with many things, truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. It isn't the nirwana of happily ever changing world some were hoping for, but it's a step up from the traditional questing structure. As a foundation, it's a good base to build questing dynamics further on, to make interactivity, branching and large scale interacting global effects possible.

Only problem with this is true Dynamic Content isn't even hard to do. Considering it was done back in 98. Player Generated content is Dynamic.

Throw in roaming NPC's that can take over villages/cities ...I mean actually take them over, not RIFT where invasions would happen and "take over" an outpost to only sit there standing still waiting for a raid to come take them out. No take them over. Reward experience through participation in reclaiming land. 

Pathing technology is already pretty advance, giving certain animal NPC migration patterns has been done before. Adapt that technology to the paths these invading NPCs take and you have created something as close to AI can get to "Dynamic." Spawn these invaders in on a random chain similar to Skyrim's Dragons. 

The technology is there developers just are either to lazy to actually put any effort into our MMO's or really don't want to advance the genre so they can keep milking this cash cow as long as possible before it sinks in to the rest of the MMO community. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    Nicely stated OP, I completely agree and I wonder the same. It just IS too epic lol. But anyways as a long time gw1 player and pvp'er I completely have fallen in love with the way ANET handles everything from balance across all styles of gameplay to patching and the sort... Go gw!!
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    It seems like many of the posters here take the negativity personally, rather than trying to understand the difference in opinion. There's no underlying goal or ambition to come to a specific game's forum and cause trouble, for spite's sake or otherwise, but there's a balance in being able to write freely on an internet forum; other people will differ in opinion and may like to share that with you. From what I've seen, most people are willing to agree that the product is polished and above average, but have difficulty sharing the same perspective when it comes to differentiating between the themepark games we've played to death and the innovation Guild Wars 2 provides.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• wolffinwolffin Member UncommonPosts: 193

I think the answer is simple. There game of choice flopped or failed or is trudging a long, or is not in existance. And they hate anything that is popular and successful. Because in there eyes people should like what they like and they can't understand why people don't share the same ideals as they do. And some how think that bashing people over the head with what they think is ideal over, and over, and over again. Is some how going to win someone over to there way of thinking. They will never be able to accept that in general they are a minority when it comes to gaming. And are filled with rage hate at the majority for being different than them. And take there hate, anger and frustration out by bashing others and the games they play.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

"Overwhelming Success"? By who's standards? The game sold a 1/3rd of what was predicted by market analysts, and sold no where near as many copies as SWTOR did.

So you going by the 3 million first year projection?

So lets see, GW2 sold over 1 million pre-purchases. That is your 1/3 of the first year. (By the way it matches the over 1 million free  beta signups that were meaningless as an indication of pre-purchases).

Then you have pre-orders and enough sales to consistantly surpass console game sales in most charts.

GW2 sold less retail copies than SWTOR in the UK,

Chances are GW2 isn't far from that 3 millions by the end of 2012 in the first 2 weeks even with halted first party digital sales.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

Ya hear that MMO developers?  If you do things "different" you are "setting the bar". 

It was so simple, change exclamations to hearts, remove quest hubs and place quests in random dynamic ways, make it so you don't die and everyone can rez, and create the illusion of there being no grind/hamster wheel in the game then your game is becomes evolutionary.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

And the post with a big check list of features and a big list of games next to it are fun still.

I regret informing you but  taking:

feature 1 from game A

feature 2 from game B

feature 3 from game C

feature 4 from game D

feature 5 from game E

feature 6 from game F

etc...

and then removing tanks and healers and,

combining all those features in the same game is:

Innovation.

The first mobile phone that wasn't a brick was innovative.

The first mobile phone with a camera was innovative dispite the fact  mobile phones and cameras already existed.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

This discussion has been closed.