Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Are People Upset About GW2's Overwhelming Success?

Comments

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Originally posted by sonoggi
    maybe mmorpg.com is where these people congregate, which would explain the frequency of such strange threads, maybe it's their alts posting. but why would you be MAD about it bros? the game is epic, and even when u look at it completely objectively, at the very least it's above the average. 

You tell us sonoggi. I mean you have done it all on SWTOR foums and more. Why people get mad every time a new MMOS is about to release? why were you mad about it? could it be possible that just like how you dis liked SWTOR and were very vocal about it for months others are doing the same? expressing their dis pleasure? 

If you have the right to be vocal about your hate for particular MMO why is it wrong for others to do the same?

Thanks for the insight ...seems like 2 wrongs make a right in your books

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    maybe mmorpg.com is where these people congregate, which would explain the frequency of such strange threads, maybe it's their alts posting. but why would you be MAD about it bros? the game is epic, and even when u look at it completely objectively, at the very least it's above the average. 

Do we know it's a success? I mean, I'd be one of the first people to say it's a fine game. I also think SWToR is a fine game. But apparently a whole group of people who bought the game at launch either disagreed or just ran out of things to do and went on to other pastures.

So how shouldn't you see how the game fares a few months down the line before you label it a success? Maybe people will think it's crap after playign it a bit or maybe they will just get to cap and feel they don't want to go back to other zones or run "whatever" for cosmetic gear and just go to other pastures.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Yamota
    No one is upset about GW 2's success, that's an only in the mind of the rabid fanboys who sees any criticism of the game as 'hating'.

At the same time, 'overwhelming success' is quite a relative term, since you can also claim that SWTOR is an 'overwhelming success' with what I'm assuming going off of box sales and we all know how that game is going. If anything the thread is a bit to fanboy loving to really have any good arguement about. The title alone speaks that the OP views anyone who views GW2 as anything as a perfect game as being a moron. :)

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Originally posted by Yamota
    No one is upset about GW 2's success, that's an only in the mind of the rabid fanboys who sees any criticism of the game as 'hating'.

At the same time, 'overwhelming success' is quite a relative term, since you can also claim that SWTOR is an 'overwhelming success' with what I'm assuming going off of box sales and we all know how that game is going. If anything the thread is a bit to fanboy loving to really have any good arguement about. The title alone speaks that the OP views anyone who views GW2 as anything as a perfect game as being a moron. :)

Agreed and also would like to say that commercial success is not the same thing as success for me as a gamer. Maybe SW:TOR was a commercial success, maybe it was not, but as an MMORPG it was not particulary good.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Psychow

I humbly disagree.  D3 was not the worst. Even if you only played 1 character through normal mode once, it was worth the box price compared to 99% of the other PC games out there.

Fair enough, I overstated. It's clearly not the worst game ever made, and I did get my money's worth in /played. It was a case of my expectations getting ahead of reality, and the dissatisfaction that followed is negatively warping the actual fun I had playing.

I think they really missed the mark on that one, though.

• krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion
    Originally posted by krakra70

What overwhelming success? The game has already peaked 8 days after its release. It's all downhill from here on.

peaked according to who? you?

according to this: http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2

• MisarisMisaris Member Posts: 140

Because people swallowed luke warm, nicely worded bullet point "innovation" as the second coming and now start to realize they got framed?

Or because GW2 is just another iteration of a "medieval fantasy MMO" grinder with mediocre questing?

I don´t know, does it deserve overwhelming success?

• krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Angier2758
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion
    Originally posted by krakra70

What overwhelming success? The game has already peaked 8 days after its release. It's all downhill from here on.

peaked according to who? you?

Kraka has an agenda keep in mind; screams of shill or a player who has an axe to grind.

Unlike the hundreds of fanboys in here who actually DO have an agenda I'm actually a disappointed GW2 player who is already 80 and can't even log in even more.

• GolbezaGolbeza Member Posts: 62

I'm guessing people have too high expectation nowadays for games. If the game doesn't meet their expecations then they go rant off on forums to get attention for some reason. I am ashamed to say that I actually did the same with WoW but it wasn't on forums it was to my friends.

I mean WoW was successful and I had fun with it and I grew tired of it after the same old same old. Sure, I find it funny that people still stick to it but it's their choice, I shouldn't start bashing them for it or the game even.

If people can't see that about GW2 then I feel sorry for them, the game is successful and whatever you say can't change that. Let people enjoy the game in peace and go play the game that you enjoy playing. ^^

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Why are you wasting time asking for answers to questions you will not accept and will only try to discredit? Why are YOU so upset that other people don't hold ths game in as high reguard as you? Do you understand what the word objectively really means?

For the answers to all these questions and more tune in tomorrow to "Pendantic Self Aggrandisement Theatre" Sponsered by Kool-Aid brand drink mix.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Misaris

Because people swallowed luke warm, nicely worded bullet point "innovation" as the second coming and now start to realize they got framed?

Or because GW2 is just another iteration of a "medieval fantasy MMO" grinder with mediocre questing?

The image of swallowing a luke warm second coming made me gag. image

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

You have your opinion.  Why are they not allowed to have their opinion?

I'm allergic to nuts.  Over the years, I've grown used to seeing advertising for all sorts of products with nuts.  I've grown used to checking labels on packaging to see if the item was processed in a plant that also processed nuts.  I've grown used to having to tell a waitress a thousand times that trying to scrape nuts off of my dessert is not the same as not having put them on there in the first place.  There are folks out there that love nuts - think nuts are the best thing ever - they have nuts in everything.

That doesn't change that I'm allergic to them nor my opinion of them...

...so you have your opinion, why are others not allowed to have their opinions again?

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• ZecktorinZecktorin Member Posts: 231
    GW2 is a great fun little game, but it is in no wya shape or form an "overwhelming sucess". However, im not trying to be a hater and grats to Anet for putting out a good game, but the hype alot of people put into the game was uncalled for.
    Originally posted by Zecktorin
    GW2 is a great fun little game, but it is in no wya shape or form an "overwhelming sucess". However, im not trying to be a hater and grats to Anet for putting out a good game, but the hype alot of people put into the game was uncalled for.

Yep, it's hard to see it not being so much folks being upset about GW2...as folks being upset with other folks claiming GW2 will trim the edges and butter your bread.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    lol@this thread.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by VirusDancer

Yep, it's hard to see it not being so much folks being upset about GW2...as folks being upset with other folks claiming GW2 will trim the edges and butter your bread.

And it's not just regular butter, it's a especial type of butter bound to revolutionize the culinary industry.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Misaris

oh no overwhemling sucess is openning a game and selling 200k ....and then having the fanbois come over to  the GW2 forums   

Originally posted by Krytycal

And it's not just regular butter, it's a especial type of butter bound to revolutionize the culinary industry.

The quicker pecker picker upper kind of butter for sure...

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

The quicker pecker picker upper kind of butter for sure...

I hear it's so good you need a chef's mentality to even comprehend it.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Its butter looted from the bloated corpse of a stinky centaur.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    I love threads like these, really adds to the block list.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712
    I bought GW2 to play with a friend and can't get into it. I'm not angry about it nor have I or will I bash it. I am one of those Mortal Online/Darkfall people as well. Also to say its the Obama of Mmo's isnt much of a compliment.
  • AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Tamanous

TSW was above average (far above imo) yet it isn't the type of game some are looking for.

GW2 is also above average but again is not the game some people are looking for.

I played GW2 over 3 beta weekends and slightly at launch and it simply isn't the mmo I was hoping for. This does not mean I hate the fact it is evidently a success. Personally I believe other mmo's are better overall. I actually like Lotro more than GW2 and have more fun playing it. I even feel Wow is a better mmo overall (ignoring age and currently direction of game) even though I have played it in years nor ever will again.

GW2 took an entirely different direction in their attempt to "evolve" the mmo. They mainstreamed it to a painful extent. This is in the favor of certain gamers used to certain types of games. It however is completely in the opposite direction of traditional rpg's and old school mmo's. Many of the so called inconveniences they strove to rid are what certain mmo players still want.

People who do not like the game have their own reasons and they should be allowed to feel that way so do not think "if they only tried it or saw my tears they would love it". That isn't going to happen. The game being popular isn't the main issue why many dislike the game so "fanbois" need to get this point. One could argue though that if the game is exactly the opposite style of mmo (far away from sandbox and more likely the ultimate themepark bastardization) and becomes extremely popular it will trend development furtther away from the old school style mmo's many still wish to play. Personally I still think sandbox and older style mmo (based on more traditional rpg elements) are still a market to be tapped into. Sadly it's the quarterly reports driving major developers and distributors and not the drive to support niche markets that abeit small are very self-sustaining.

Couldn't disagree more with everything you said.

This is the first MMO in years I feel like I'm playing an MMO and not a rat race run to end game plus a gear farm. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by smh_alot
    I've come to realise that the haters of 1 game are the fanbois of another game and vice versa. The hypocrisy and double standards seen on this site's forums are appalling sometimes. In fact, a number of the people here stating all indignant 'why u hatin'? I'm havin fun, this game is great!' are the same ones who were doing the hating and bashing when it was about games that weren't 'their precious', and now they're appalled when people do or feel the same about a game they care about? Now that's ironic.

I'd wish people would use more common sense and rationale on this site, and be able to look past their own sometimes narrow point of view. But after spending some time on this site, these look to be the basic guidelines:

- if you hate a game that I hate, then you're a smart and intelligent critic

- if you love a game that I hate, then you're a blind, delusional fanboi or a shill

- if you love a game that I love, then you show good taste and are a true MMO gamer

- if you hate a game that I love, then you're a bitter, smallminded hater and not a true lover of MMO's.

I think the mindset and reasoning above sums up the vast majority of people visiting this site. Basically it comes down to 'I and all people who think/feel about stuff the same as I are always in the right, and everyone who disagrees is scum and subhuman' -_-

Yeah this is true, it was the same with AOC and WAR among others. It's just the nature of these forums.  This crap between TOR, GW2 and TSW began far before any of them released, these forums are like build ups to Championship fights.

I could piss and moan about any game, I could find something to praise about most as well. That's what makes this game so easy...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by Wolvards
    I love threads like these, really adds to the block list.

I thought I was the only one blocking people, based on the nonsense they write. It really saves time when reading threads. Once in a blue I check to see if I made a bad judgement call, if the person was just being tired, drunk or otherwise mentally indisposed. So far it's been right on the money.

We should trade lists sometime

This discussion has been closed.