Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Are People Upset About GW2's Overwhelming Success?

Comments

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Jyiiga
    I have real theory for you. These boards are populated with a lot of niche gamers. Gamers that enjoy things like Darkfall or Mortal Online (etc). Many of these gamers are hurt that their game of choice has the population of Monowi Nebraska. So they come here and find a highly successful game, a game that does not fit their idea of a good game and bash it. 

There's a lot of truth to that.   There are some seriously dud-MMOs this game is being compared to, in quite unfavorable terms.  Newsflash -- most of them peaked years ago at 250K or fewer subs.    They aren't, and never were, all that and a bag of chips.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by sonoggi
    maybe mmorpg.com is where these people congregate, which would explain the frequency of such strange threads, maybe it's their alts posting. but why would you be MAD about it bros? the game is epic, and even when u look at it completely objectively, at the very least it's above the average. 

I dont think they are, people troll all new games and the amount doesnt seem much more than with TOR.

I guess the trolls want to upset as many as possible and it is hard to get a huge reaction and start a flame war when you are trolling Mortal online or Vanguard.

Things will settle down soon. There will aleways be some trolls but most of them will troll the next releasing game instead.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    I think it comes down to emotional investment. What i mean by that is people become attached to the idea of being a part of something larger than themselves and thus care deeply about it. This shows itself in different forms in video games. For example, the longtivity of wow and a character someone created and has leveled and raided with since the beginning. Another form would be guild wars 2 fans that help spread the word of the game and tried to help spread the hype. Though for different reasons, they both entail and emotional investment. This is true for all games... Thus with the emotional investment people are viciously biased towards the chosen game or games played and its competitors. It is very simplistic and primitive.
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Keller
    Originally posted by rygard49

Success? In the short term, yes.

I don't think people are really upset about the success or failure of the game.

I agree with this.

Guildwars 2 a good game. Yes, I believe so.
    Fixed for GW2 forum ..move on
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    I just laugh at all of the people giving just one answer to this question as if it covers everyone.
  • stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by EricDanie

Truth be told it's not all just mindless bashing or biased crusaders nitpicking. There are those that recognize GW2's qualities but simply didn't like them for whatever reason.

Totally offtopic but I am one of those that did like SWTOR... just not as a "MMO"RPG and in no way viable as a long term game (expecting monthly fee revenue out of that was simply absurd). We'll still see how GW2 fares in this regard but at least it doesn't set itself up for a possible financial disaster by expecting subscriptions.

Lets be real about one thing.  You can love the game, like the game, think the game is blah, or hate the game, all fine.  But I am kind of getting tired of people painting ANETas this like savior of the gamers, battling the evil subscription games.  Sure ANETs model may work out better for you but honestly ANET does not do f2p because it is their moral standing, or because they want access to everyone.  They do it because they think when all is said and done they will make more money with this model than a sub model.  End of story.  I know people that spent over 150 dollars in the first month of Diablo 3 once the Realmoney action house hit to get gear for endgame(well I know one that spent about 200 and one about 125).  These are the people ANET is hoping will spend that kind of money on gems and slots and etc.  They are counting on getting monthly money coming in just as much as Blizzard counts on it.

ANET is no better( or worse) a company then Blizzard or Bioware or any other in this regard.  ANET is perfectly willing to allow someone with a gaming addiction to spend their entire paycheck on gems.

Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

Is GW2 really an overwhelming success though? Give it at leat another 3 or 4 months before declaring it one.

That being said, I think many of us found the game to be dry, boring, and lacking in many ways. So while it might be a success to fans of the game, and possibly the accountants at Anet (but again, its too early to tell), the game is not the one to rule them all that many claimed before launch and still claim to this day.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm already seeing guildies log on less and less and less.

Of course.   The early period of any new, good game is like that.   The first month I played Mount & Blade Warband it was 30-hours a week.  I'd be up until midnight.   Same with CivV, Total War: Rome, Total War:  Medieval II, Skyrim and a host of other games since I got my first PC back in the 8088 days...

And the same with GW2 the first two weeks.   But life has it's responsibilities and unless you're pathological, you're going to get back to a more normal gaming experience.    So the past couple of days I've gotten back to the 'normal MMO play cycle' of 4-hour sessions.  

It doesn't mean I don't play.  But I don't  as heavily.   And, for the records, I still play Civ V.   I still play Total War: Rome and Total War:  Medieval II.   I still play Mount & Blade.  I still play Skyrim.    Just not very heavily.   Not like I did when they were new.   But I still play them.

And that is beauty of Guild Wars 2.   It doesn't cost me $180 a year to keep renting my game in case I want to play for a few days here and there...   I can take time off.  I can come back.   And I'm not just throwing money down a well 'in case' I want to play, even when I don't.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by ZigZags

Even I said SWTOR was "epic" 4 weeks in and so did SOOOOOOOO many others....but it actually was the worst ever.

Hey! I actually like SWTOR!  I take offense to that. :P

Originally posted by Thorbrand

The game is a better experience than I thought it would be and I am enjoying it even at max level which is not the end of the game. That is somehting we have been missing in a long time. There is still so much to do even when you hit 80.

The big issue is end game is all about WvW and they need to do something about the queue times for WvW. Yes, I have already moved servers once and now the new server is full and has very long queues. Because of this I am unable to get into WvW when I am on the game which is normal time for NAs to be playing. I haven't been able to get into WvW since last Friday unless I stay up very late and some of us have jobs to get to in the mornings.

Go to Europe.   Most of them are going to bed when it's your normal time.  

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Another troll topic, just what the forum needs. The word "bros" gave it away pretty fast.

I don't know anyone upset that gw2 is doing well. As for success, it is too early to determine and all you are really doing is fanning the flames of the troll replies. But most of us already see that was your intention. Hopefully it gets locked fast.

The Timberline Falls map in GW2, now THAT is epic. The troll chat on the Fort Aspenwood server is definitely  NOT epic and as bad as Barrens Chat. 

Originally posted by MMOwanderer

and it is the Obama of MMo's, to be perfectly honest. u cant deny that. 

I was going to come here and make a possibly good post trying to discuss things. Then i saw this. So, my comment is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI

well i was gonna be rational, but then he mentioned Obama and GW2 in one sentence, and that got me going. i love them both so much. 

The problem is you started this. You title reads "GW2's overwhelming sucess".

Excuse me, but, how do you know it's a sucess? You see, alot of mmorpgs where also called such a thing by the very companies. Yet, a few months later, they wheren't doing so good. Alot of P2P AND F2P failed and are failing on a financial level. So, how do you know?

See, i'm not saying GW2 will "failz" or whatever, because i can't see the future, but neither can you.

How many copies total where sold? Is NCSoft pleased? Is the game profitable long term? How many keep playing? Etc.

But you start off claiming a fact without evidence. And there lies the problem. You stared this discussion on the wrong foot. Countering with another, sorry if i sound offensive, stupid claim, by saying GW2 is mmo obama and we "can't deny it" is saying the game is amazing and we to accept it.

Again, wrong line. Nobody's mad, bro. This is commum with every mmorpg launch, ok? It's standart.

Ah, I guess you don't follow the news.   This game is #1 everywhere.     The first PC game to be the #1 game on the sales charts in two years.    Over 400K concurrent users at lauch, the highest number ever.   Over 1 million games in early access, the higest number ever.   Currently the most played MMO in the west.   Will be opening in China later.

But thanks for trying:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDW0ZnZxjn4

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by MosesZD

Currently the most played MMO in the west.   Will be opening in China later.

Actually, it's dropped to #3 on Xfire, so not the most played anymore.

• mbolmembolme Member Posts: 48

I actually did Tequatl the Sunless this morning. He went down in a couple minutes and all of his mechanics were ignored.

People manning the cannons? No.

People destroying the bone walls? Yeah right.

Just a bunch of people hacking at his feet with no strategy because none was needed.

Yet, I would probably still find it fun. I'd guess you didn't. I guess it's not a game for you, but is one for me. :)

• mbolmembolme Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by grimal

Currently the most played MMO in the west.   Will be opening in China later.

Actually, it's dropped to #3 on Xfire, so not the most played anymore.

#3 of all games, #1 MMO, as MosesZD said.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Krytycal
    maybe mmorpg.com is where these people congregate, which would explain the frequency of such strange threads, maybe it's their alts posting. but why would you be MAD about it bros? the game is epic, and even when u look at it completely objectively, at the very least it's above the average. 

That's exactly the problem. The game is an above average themepark MMORPG, but people (including ANET) keep painting it like it's the Obama of the MMO genre when in reality it's just a different take on the same old, I mean, at least Obama was black.

People don't like being lied to.

At first I thought calling this the Obama of MMOs was the dumbest thing ever.  Not least of which because I am loving GW2 and well... I not an Obama fan. But that is not the point. It actually turns out to be an apt comparison.

GW2 is the Obama of MMOs. The problem is that some people love him and others can stand him. And for those that take the time to talk about him or post about him it is usually all the way to one side or the other. The people who don't care one way or the other also don't care enough to post about it or even read about it.

All die, so die well.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Excuse me, but, how do you know it's a sucess? You see, alot of mmorpgs where also called such a thing by the very companies. Yet, a few months later, they wheren't doing so good. Alot of P2P AND F2P failed and are failing on a financial level. So, how do you know?

See, i'm not saying GW2 will "failz" or whatever, because i can't see the future, but neither can you.

How many copies total where sold? Is NCSoft pleased? Is the game profitable long term? How many keep playing? Etc.

But you start off claiming a fact without evidence. And there lies the problem. You stared this discussion on the wrong foot. Countering with another, sorry if i sound offensive, stupid claim, by saying GW2 is mmo obama and we "can't deny it" is saying the game is amazing and we to accept it.

Again, wrong line. Nobody's mad, bro. This is commum with every mmorpg launch, ok? It's standart.

Ah, I guess you don't follow the news.   This game is #1 everywhere.     The first PC game to be the #1 game on the sales charts in two years.    Over 400K concurrent users at lauch, the highest number ever.   Over 1 million games in early access, the higest number ever.   Currently the most played MMO in the west.   Will be opening in China later.

You're kidding, right? You can't be talking about annual sales yet, and if you're talking about weekly sales, let me point you at Diablo 3. For the launch week it had over 700,000 more copies sold. #1 in the world  on the sales chart.

I don't know about the rest of the 'records' that you're claiming, but at least do some research before you make assinine claims like that.

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

Because MMO fans are a bunch of Whiney little bitches.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

That's great! Now, may i have the total number of copies sold? An actuall accurate number. The margin of profit that was abotained by NCsoft, if it at all of course. And how much of those matters in the long term gain of the game?

You know, the stuff i was asking for in my comment.

Also, currently most played in the west? As in, the bigest mmorpg in terms of players? For real? Then of course you will point me to the source of this information to apply comfirmation. Now, may i have it?

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Kinda enjoyed it first 2 days but already somewhat tired of it, cant really put my finger on why. Guess I simply cannot enjoy themeparks anymore. Also no open world pvp.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

You're kidding, right? You can't be talking about annual sales yet, and if you're talking about weekly sales, let me point you at Diablo 3. For the launch week it had over 700,000 more copies sold. #1 in the world  on the sales chart.

I don't know about the rest of the 'records' that you're claiming, but at least do some research before you make assinine claims like that.

Diablo 3 had a lot of sales, but is not an MMO.  Maybe that's what he meant.  D3 sucked so bad.  D4 wont sell near as much because of that suckiness.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

You tell us sonoggi. I mean you have done it all on SWTOR foums and more. Why people get mad every time a new MMOS is about to release? why were you mad about it? could it be possible that just like how you dis liked SWTOR and were very vocal about it for months others are doing the same? expressing their dis pleasure? 

If you have the right to be vocal about your hate for particular MMO why is it wrong for others to do the same?

Bite Me

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Diablo 3 had a lot of sales, but is not an MMO.  Maybe that's what he meant.  D3 sucked so bad.  D4 wont sell near as much because of that suckiness.

I agree, D3 was the worst. What he said was PC game, though, so that's what I was going by.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I agree, D3 was the worst. What he said was PC game, though, so that's what I was going by.

I humbly disagree.  D3 was not the worst. Even if you only played 1 character through normal mode once, it was worth the box price compared to 99% of the other PC games out there.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    No one is upset about GW 2's success, that's an only in the mind of the rabid fanboys who sees any criticism of the game as 'hating'.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Psychow

I humbly disagree.  D3 was not the worst. Even if you only played 1 character through normal mode once, it was worth the box price compared to 99% of the other PC games out there.

To each their own.  One thing about D3 that became clear to me though was that I will never play a game with a RMAH.

This discussion has been closed.