Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Are People Upset About GW2's Overwhelming Success?

Comments

• Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121

can someone lock this thread please?

Its soo pointless and there are way too many GW2 threads already

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by Jyiiga
    I have real theory for you. These boards are populated with a lot of niche gamers. Gamers that enjoy things like Darkfall or Mortal Online (etc). Many of these gamers are hurt that their game of choice has the population of Monowi Nebraska. So they come here and find a highly successful game, a game that does not fit their idea of a good game and bash it. 

Ding ding ding.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

So let me get this right. If you say the GW2 is a monster success without proof, the OP agrees.

If you rationally say, give it time before claiming it is a gigantic super success, you're a hater. Got to love the internetz.

It is way to early to claim that GW2 is a success, two weeks after SWTOR launched everyone was still talking about the record setting inital sales and everyone was busy with the story. It wasn't until after the first month the cracks in SWOTR's amor began to become exposed, and I'm sure the B2P option for GW2 will help cushion the dropoff for them. But again, it is still to early to call it a success or a failure, unless you just want to troll. The only way anyone can accurately call it a success or failure is if it was to you personally.

I think most fans are in that 2nd group...

I like the game a lot, but my personal worry is that  the only class I like so far is like half the server it seems.

I'm trying a necromancer right now JUST because I hardly see them.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,809

Originally posted by sonoggi
    Originally posted by Krytycal Originally posted by sonoggi maybe mmorpg.com is where these people congregate, which would explain the frequency of such strange threads, maybe it's their alts posting. but why would you be MAD about it bros? the game is epic, and even when u look at it completely objectively, at the very least it's above the average. 
    That's exactly the problem. The game is an above average themepark MMORPG, but people (including ANET) keep painting it like it's the Obama of the MMO genre when in reality it's just a different take on the same old, I mean, at least Obama was black. People don't like being lied to.
    no one is being lied to. the game delivered exactly what was promised. if not more. and it is the Obama of MMo's, to be perfectly honest. u cant deny that it's bringing huge change to the genre and setting the bar. just DE's on their own will require future competition to ditch the traditional questing system entirely, or be horribly ridiculed. 

There are definite areas in which GW2 has most assuredly fallen short of ArenaNet's promises.

The Dynamic Events are not as advertised by ArenaNet.

We were supposed to get DEs that had a lasting impact on the world. Not even close. Most DEs are one-off affairs with no impact at all. Not even the major DEs have some kind of impact on anything but the area in which they take place.

If you fail to kill one of the dragons does it start flying around destroying towns? No.

Well, I dont know because they are so easy.

The major DEs like the dragons were supposed to be challenging open world raid bosses and scale up to 100 people. But they get zerged to death with just 20 people.

Really cant say much about the Home instance either. After wandering around it for 15 minutes I only saw 3 differences. My rival, someone from my Order and a group from the lesser race I helped. Thats it? A couple interchangeable stand-ins doing nothing? Yay.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    maybe mmorpg.com is where these people congregate, which would explain the frequency of such strange threads, maybe it's their alts posting. but why would you be MAD about it bros? the game is epic, and even when u look at it completely objectively, at the very least it's above the average. 

compeltely agree, notably with your cesspool assessment with some of the people in these forums on your other post.

it's really horrendous how the nonsense posts by some haters are allowed to continue about this title. There's a clear double standard here. The game is a success, it's flourishing, it's well made well developed with multiple wonderful enhancements and sollutions to problems mmo gamers have faced since the 2004 standard. 

There really is nothing for REASONABLE people to complain about, but that's not who comes here to complain about a game they really aren't playing nor will ever play.

And for those who were disappointed, if you had done research before buying it (which is the whole point of the stickies and the cons they used to show everyone their game) then you wouldn't have purchased a game you wouldn't like in the first place.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Krytycal

Originally posted by sonoggi maybe mmorpg.com is where these people congregate, which would explain the frequency of such strange threads, maybe it's their alts posting. but why would you be MAD about it bros? the game is epic, and even when u look at it completely objectively, at the very least it's above the average. 
    That's exactly the problem. The game is an above average themepark MMORPG, but people (including ANET) keep painting it like it's the Obama of the MMO genre when in reality it's just a different take on the same old, I mean, at least Obama was black. People don't like being lied to.
    no one is being lied to. the game delivered exactly what was promised. if not more. and it is the Obama of MMo's, to be perfectly honest. u cant deny that it's bringing huge change to the genre and setting the bar. just DE's on their own will require future competition to ditch the traditional questing system entirely, or be horribly ridiculed. 
    There are definite areas in which GW2 has most assuredly fallen short of ArenaNet's promises.

The Dynamic Events are not as advertised by ArenaNet.

We were supposed to get DEs that had a lasting impact on the world. Not even close. Most DEs are one-off affairs with no impact at all. Not even the major DEs have some kind of impact on anything but the area in which they take place.

What level is your max again? because post level 30 there is this factor hate to break it to you.

The major DEs like the dragons were supposed to be challenging open world raid bosses and scale up to 100 people. But they get zerged to death with just 20 people.

You do realize that the enemies and their minions scale with the number of people present right? and no they don't get zerged to death no one has ever defeated a dragon in 30 seconds. get real.

Really cant say much about the Home instance either. After wandering around it for 15 minutes I only saw 3 differences. My rival, someone from my Order and a group from the lesser race I helped. Thats it? A couple interchangeable stand-ins doing nothing? Yay.

Again, what level? How far along in your personal story? Because mine has changed according to what my personal story progress is. :)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Why Are People Upset About GW2's Overwhelming Success?

It's difficult to predict what people find threatening.  But the gamer world is filled with crusaders, all shouting (very different) "Look at me"s.

Of course they're all so very concerned with the 'future of the industry'.  Mrs. Grimble was just concerned with the happiness and welfare of the people she was constantly gossiping about, too.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

People have an issue with wow's success. Im sorry but some people are always gonna be upset when there game of choice isn't the it thing, 

I for one think its great, I am not playing gw2 but i still think the success of any game in the mmo market is huge, If all mmo's that had nice budgets to make crashed and burned we would stop getting higher budget mmo'. 

I think  people should be glad for any mmo's success because if games like gw2 succed taht try something diffrent maybe other games will try new things and take chances, And maybe someday that game the ones who don't play gw2 or like it will finally get that harcorde sandbox or other game they are looking for. 

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    game has been a success since beta; the product delivered and then some

Originally posted by kalinis

People have an issue with wow's success. Im sorry but some people are always gonna be upset when there game of choice isn't the it thing. 

And in some cases, they're been hard at work ripping it with every opportunity since 2003.

You get used to this kind of thing. It's the Internet :shrug:

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ChipSet91ChipSet91 Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    It's kinda "kewl" in "some" circles to hate what's popular. It's the immature attitude of some people who can't tolerate others having fun with something they basically don't care about, but only use to make them feel superior to the masses who gave in to something that is actually fun. Can be a movie, a game, a TV show, music, etc...

Ding, ding ding  We have a winner!

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,809

Originally posted by itgrowls
    You do realize that the enemies and their minions scale with the number of people present right? and no they don't get zerged to death no one has ever defeated a dragon in 30 seconds. get real. 
    So, where exactly did I say they were being killed in 30 seconds?

Being defensive a little much aren't we?

I actually did Tequatl the Sunless this morning. He went down in a couple minutes and all of his mechanics were ignored.

People manning the cannons? No.

People destroying the bone walls? Yeah right.

Just a bunch of people hacking at his feet with no strategy because none was needed.

With enough people Shatterer could probably be taken down in 30 seconds. Now thats a pathetic fight.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Yeah, people on MMORPG.com (myself included at times probably) have been dog'n on WoW for 8 years about how it's "dying" and how much it sucks - yet it likely still has more subs in the West than every other Western MMO combined.

It's cool/edgy/fun to be against the big guys - sticking it to the man, avoiding the "mainstream" because you're too cool for what's popular... or something.

I don't know, I'm old enough to not give two shits and I just play and enjoy and praise the games I like.

But, got to admit, it is fun to dog on games I find extremely lackluster - it's only human to get that feeling of "wow that is so obviously bad/terrible how can these people like this? I MUST try and help/educate them on why I'm right and they are wrong."

We're all just human...

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Angier2758
    Originally posted by Jyiiga
    I have real theory for you. These boards are populated with a lot of niche gamers. Gamers that enjoy things like Darkfall or Mortal Online (etc). Many of these gamers are hurt that their game of choice has the population of Monowi Nebraska. So they come here and find a highly successful game, a game that does not fit their idea of a good game and bash it. 

How can that be a town if there is only one person!?

• NandoSupesNandoSupes Member Posts: 61

I'm a having a blast with the game. GW2 does innovate in many areas,in others it does not, but hey...perfection does not exist.

Those that are upset with the game success??,some people like the same old bullshit, others just like to ramble, is human nature.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by grimal

The only ones using terms like "second coming" where the negative people. I have yet to see any single positive fan using the term "second coming".

And yes, the people stirring trouble here are the minority of "haters" who just can't let it go and feel the need to get on a personal crusade against a game they didn't enjoy for some reason. Some people just like peeing in other people's cheerios.

(Removed)

Link to my post? (don't search, you won't find it, because I didn't say that).

Nice try at misinformation though.

You are right.  My humble apologies.

Originally posted by Enigmatus

How can that be a town if there is only one person!?

See: Centralia, Pennsylvania

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Feature "A" was promised and delivered. Even though it was in fact delivered, thus justifying the claim that it would be in the game, the end result is that feature A was supposed to change the game, but in the end, when you open the fancy packaging, it's still just a tie on father's day.

It still doesn't change the fact that many people still feel (That's the key word) lied to.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    I've come to realise that the haters of 1 game are the fanbois of another game and vice versa. The hypocrisy and double standards seen on this site's forums are appalling sometimes. In fact, a number of the people here stating all indignant 'why u hatin'? I'm havin fun, this game is great!' are the same ones who were doing the hating and bashing when it was about games that weren't 'their precious', and now they're appalled when people do or feel the same about a game they care about? Now that's ironic.

I'd wish people would use more common sense and rationale on this site, and be able to look past their own sometimes narrow point of view.
    But after spending some time on this site, these look to be the basic guidelines:

- if you hate a game that I hate, then you're a smart and intelligent critic

- if you love a game that I hate, then you're a blind, delusional fanboi or a shill

- if you love a game that I love, then you show good taste and are a true MMO gamer

- if you hate a game that I love, then you're a bitter, smallminded hater and not a true lover of MMO's.

I think the mindset and reasoning above sums up the vast majority of people visiting this site. Basically it comes down to 'I and all people who think/feel about stuff the same as I are always in the right, and everyone who disagrees is scum and subhuman' -_-
  • PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Feature "A" was promised and delivered. Even though it was in fact delivered, thus justifying the claim that it would be in the game, the end result is that feature A was supposed to change the game, but in the end, when you open the fancy packaging, it's still just a tie on father's day.

It still doesn't change the fact that many people still feel (That's the key word) lied to.

You know, for once, I "feel" that a company stayed very close to their claims, hype and promises. Everything that was said about GW2 is there in one form or the other. 

Take SWTOR for example. There was some freaking features on the box that we're not even in the game at release lol. 

Just imagine the guy that buys the game only to realize that 45% of the box is description is lying... 

• BrizlynBrizlyn Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by Drolkin

I am more curious as to why people who like GW2 care so much what those who dislike it think.

You didn't make the game, all you did was buy it, play it, and like it so why say things like "you mad bros"?  Makes no sense whatsoever.

"I like playin GW2 'cause ppl who dont like it are mad" lol?

I am MORE curious as to why people who don't like the game feel the need to go to the GW2 forums and bash the game.  If not bash, then express their negative take on the game.  Is it to make themselves feel better about what they feel was a bad purchase?

I've bought many games I ended up not liking, but I've never felt the urge to take time out to go bash or express my negative view on the game.  Seems kind of like a waste of my time, I just move onto the next thing.

A few games I ended up ditching were WOW (in first 2 months) and SWTOR (after 3 months).  Never once did I feel the need to go to those forums to express the reasons I didn't like the games.  I made the buy, I lived with the result.  Many people like those games, so be it.

For some reason on these forums though, we have a lot of people who take time out of their lives to put down a game that is obviously already hugely popular and liked by many.  I don't think this is limited to GW2 in any way.

I agree with the OP on this one, it's an interesting phenomenon and seems strange someone would spend their time focusing more on the negative rather than just moving on.

-briz

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    maybe mmorpg.com is where these people congregate, which would explain the frequency of such strange threads, maybe it's their alts posting. but why would you be MAD about it bros? the game is epic, and even when u look at it completely objectively, at the very least it's above the average. 

TSW was above average (far above imo) yet it isn't the type of game some are looking for.

GW2 is also above average but again is not the game some people are looking for.

I played GW2 over 3 beta weekends and slightly at launch and it simply isn't the mmo I was hoping for. This does not mean I hate the fact it is evidently a success. Personally I believe other mmo's are better overall. I actually like Lotro more than GW2 and have more fun playing it. I even feel Wow is a better mmo overall (ignoring age and currently direction of game) even though I have played it in years nor ever will again.

GW2 took an entirely different direction in their attempt to "evolve" the mmo. They mainstreamed it to a painful extent. This is in the favor of certain gamers used to certain types of games. It however is completely in the opposite direction of traditional rpg's and old school mmo's. Many of the so called inconveniences they strove to rid are what certain mmo players still want.

People who do not like the game have their own reasons and they should be allowed to feel that way so do not think "if they only tried it or saw my tears they would love it". That isn't going to happen. The game being popular isn't the main issue why many dislike the game so "fanbois" need to get this point. One could argue though that if the game is exactly the opposite style of mmo (far away from sandbox and more likely the ultimate themepark bastardization) and becomes extremely popular it will trend development furtther away from the old school style mmo's many still wish to play. Personally I still think sandbox and older style mmo (based on more traditional rpg elements) are still a market to be tapped into. Sadly it's the quarterly reports driving major developers and distributors and not the drive to support niche markets that abeit small are very self-sustaining.

You stay sassy!

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by itgrowls

So, where exactly did I say they were being killed in 30 seconds?

Being defensive a little much aren't we?

I actually did Tequatl the Sunless this morning. He went down in a couple minutes and all of his mechanics were ignored.

People manning the cannons? No.

People destroying the bone walls? Yeah right.

Just a bunch of people hacking at his feet with no strategy because none was needed.

With enough people Shatterer could probably be taken down in 30 seconds. Now thats a pathetic fight.

Ooooh I like this one. Itgrowls is wrong lol. Ok maybe not about the shatterer, I doubt unless he caps at 4-5 levels higher than the zone that he could be killed in 30s or less. Its hardly a hard fight though. Non boss mob type events though? They most certainly can be and are zerged ALL the time. Part of the problem is the scaling is also on how many mobs there are without a significant increase in damage, health, or levels. Since Anet didnt take a lesson from WAR and AoE is as strong as single target you can throw as many mobs at the masses as you want and thoes mobs will die before they can kill 1 player unless 1 player is a dumbass and runs infront of the mass of people.

• demodardemodar Member UncommonPosts: 63

If you did like the game you would be playing not asking us why we hate , exept if you are not interested to enlighten us to the glory of guild wars 2 ( maybe you should  think about joining jehovah's witnesses).

The game is Overated (crap) , that did not bring anything new to the mmo genre , its just painted some old things in nicer color so to speak. Its the same old stuff with little improvements and everyone talks about it like they discovered the hot water .

Quests are repetative , so are events , the early mid content is a pure rush even if you don't want it you will have to put  a steel sword in your head not to advance fast . The late game is a grind fest , the cash shop was a lie , they promised nothing that will kill the balance yet they sell buffs , and to be fair the exp and loot things might not be balance breaking but the bonus from them is way too big!

The content is not that big , say armors and weapons sure there are good amount of them and "skins" , but it simply is not what fanboys broadcast it all around.The game have the annoying quality to force you to play a weapon and skills bound to it , for example if you want to play elementalist with staff and you use water its a support meh  healing rain and shit . The dodge system is nothing new yet again , they use it like they invented it.

People play with ingame glitches and get banned , well hello Anet you made those you tested this crap for months and months, not a good job it seems or you just want them to buy the game again , its you own damn fault for allowing the glitches and not fixing them  do your work better !Lets not forget how long the trading system was off , or the forums or th costumer support in the start , how many accounts leaked trow their forum registrations.

And  the biggest turn off for me a side of repetition of the "UNIQUE" quests and story lines and blah blah , everything blends on graphic level so hard ,character costumization was so bad also. I missed a lot , but enough...

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Some people who have posted negative remarks here just have a different opinion of the game. No matter how good it is, not everyone will enjoy it...

When I first started playing GW2 in the beta weekend events, I was pretty underwhelmed at that point. For whatever reason, it just didn't CLICK with me. I couldn't really put my finger on why it wasn't doing it for me, but it just wasn't. I later gave the game more of a chance after release and I am very pleased to say that I am hooked now. It took me a little bit to gain a proper appreciation for it, but I can't get enough at this point. That being said, for those people who still don't enjoy it, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them posting their reasons for feeling that way. This is a discussion forum after all. It is not meant ONLY for fanboy circle-jerks.

This discussion has been closed.