Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Are People Upset About GW2's Overwhelming Success?

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

People don't like the big guys.  People root for them to fall...and the bigger they are, the harder they fall.  I call it the underdog syndrome. 

Being more popular also attracts more eyes to scrutinize.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by TheHavok

Complete exaggeration.  The usual skeptics are perfectly in-line with every other game's release.  Infact, there are a lot less skeptics then games like SWTOR and Rift.

If anything, mmorpg.com houses more fanboys for GW2 then anything else. 

One could ask though how comes that this game has so much more fanboys on most gaming sites I vist than most other games have ever had, even after several BWE's, ST's and now 2,5 weeks live game?  Don't come with something generic like media hype because there really hasn't been for a long time, just info about things actually being in game.

I don't know the answer but it might be connected to being different enough from other games so that it doesn't feel like the same ole to a lot of people?

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Being more popular also attracts more eyes to scrutinize.

Also even if you only look at it from a purely logical aspect ... the more people who buy the game = the more % have a chance not to like it 

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

Is GW2 really an overwhelming success though? Give it at leat another 3 or 4 months before declaring it one.

well that wouldnt really be fair. in another 4 months, there will be new events, content or maybe even an xpac not too far in the future. then it will be even more overwhelming. 

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by sonoggi
    Originally posted by Krytycal
    maybe mmorpg.com is where these people congregate, which would explain the frequency of such strange threads, maybe it's their alts posting. but why would you be MAD about it bros? the game is epic, and even when u look at it completely objectively, at the very least it's above the average. 

That's exactly the problem. The game is an above average themepark MMORPG, but people (including ANET) keep painting it like it's the Obama of the MMO genre when in reality it's just a different take on the same old, I mean, at least Obama was black.

People don't like being lied to.

no one is being lied to. the game delivered exactly what was promised. if not more. and it is the Obama of MMo's, to be perfectly honest. u cant deny that. 

That has to be one of the worst analogies I've ever seen.  IMO it's not the Obama of MMOs.  It's much, much better than that.  It's actually different in playstyle than most MMOs and while it borrows a lot of features from a lot of other games, it polishes them up and pushes them to their logical next step.  So, it has improved on the MMORPG formula.  IMO Obama hasn't improved anything.  So your analogy falls apart very quickly.  And this is directed to both of you.

...and, for the record, Obama is HALF black.  His mother is white, which makes him half white. 

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Is GW2 really an overwhelming success though? Give it at leat another 3 or 4 months before declaring it one.

That being said, I think many of us found the game to be dry, boring, and lacking in many ways. So while it might be a success to fans of the game, and possibly the accountants at Anet (but again, its too early to tell), the game is not the one to rule them all that many claimed before launch and still claim to this day.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm already seeing guildies log on less and less and less.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455
    It's kinda "kewl" in "some" circles to hate what's popular. It's the immature attitude of some people who can't tolerate others having fun with something they basically don't care about, but only use to make them feel superior to the masses who gave in to something that is actually fun. Can be a movie, a game, a TV show, music, etc...
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• yabooeryabooer Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by grimal
    it is the Obama of MMo's, to be perfectly honest. u cant deny that. 

I can. I will. I do.

I agree/disagree

Similarities - Huge hype, different than older versions of game/presidients, huge following during the first year.

Differences - One was a huge failure (Take a guess), One had all people jumping over board after a year, one had many false promises.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by lilHeala
    Originally posted by TheHavok

Complete exaggeration.  The usual skeptics are perfectly in-line with every other game's release.  Infact, there are a lot less skeptics then games like SWTOR and Rift.

If anything, mmorpg.com houses more fanboys for GW2 then anything else. 

One could ask though how comes that this game has so much more fanboys on most gaming sites I vist than most other games have ever had, even after several BWE's, ST's and now 2,5 weeks live game?  Don't come with something generic like media hype because there really hasn't been for a long time, just info about things actually being in game.

I don't know the answer but it might be connected to being different enough from other games so that it doesn't feel like the same ole to a lot of people?

I think it has something to do with it being presented differently, that's a given considering the backlash toward traditional themeparks over the last few years. Still I question whether all of this praise is due to the overall game, or it just being different. Do people care what's different? Or is it that they don't care as long as something is? Personally I care what's different hence why I'm not glowing due to GW2, it doesn't change what I dislike about the current crop of MMO's as far as I can tell.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

The game is a better experience than I thought it would be and I am enjoying it even at max level which is not the end of the game. That is somehting we have been missing in a long time. There is still so much to do even when you hit 80.

The big issue is end game is all about WvW and they need to do something about the queue times for WvW. Yes, I have already moved servers once and now the new server is full and has very long queues. Because of this I am unable to get into WvW when I am on the game which is normal time for NAs to be playing. I haven't been able to get into WvW since last Friday unless I stay up very late and some of us have jobs to get to in the mornings.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by lilHeala

Call me cynical but I think a lof of it's due to being B2P.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Four0Six

If there was more realism, and less "Quest Hubs are Dead" articles, there would be a more real responce.

Agree completely.

Quest hubs are dead! Yay!

B2P is the new standard! Yay!

Holy Trinity is no more! Woot!!

No more raids! Yeah!!

Gear progression is gone foravah!! Praise all that is holy!!

• yabooeryabooer Member Posts: 97
    Also, I don't get upset if a game does well. I get upset at players hyping it up, and using terms like the second coming (Kind of reminds me of the beatles...) People want to say it is all the haters, when in fact I see the fanbois instigating just as much. It is the people in general which turns me off to games.
    Originally posted by Psychow

That being said, I think many of us found the game to be dry, boring, and lacking in many ways. So while it might be a success to fans of the game, and possibly the accountants at Anet (but again, its too early to tell), the game is not the one to rule them all that many claimed before launch and still claim to this day.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm already seeing guildies log on less and less and less.

that speaks nothing to the quality of the game. they either 1) powerleveled so they could "end game" like all the other cool people, skipping 70% of the content, or 2) they didnt like the game to begin with, not doing their research, and buying the game anyways. 

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

and it is the Obama of MMo's, to be perfectly honest. u cant deny that. 

I was going to come here and make a possibly good post trying to discuss things. Then i saw this. So, my comment is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI

well i was gonna be rational, but then he mentioned Obama and GW2 in one sentence, and that got me going. i love them both so much. 

The problem is you started this. You title reads "GW2's overwhelming sucess".

Excuse me, but, how do you know it's a sucess? You see, alot of mmorpgs where also called such a thing by the very companies. Yet, a few months later, they wheren't doing so good. Alot of P2P AND F2P failed and are failing on a financial level. So, how do you know?

See, i'm not saying GW2 will "failz" or whatever, because i can't see the future, but neither can you.

How many copies total where sold? Is NCSoft pleased? Is the game profitable long term? How many keep playing? Etc.

But you start off claiming a fact without evidence. And there lies the problem. You stared this discussion on the wrong foot. Countering with another, sorry if i sound offensive, stupid claim, by saying GW2 is mmo obama and we "can't deny it" is saying the game is amazing and we to accept it.

Again, wrong line. Nobody's mad, bro. This is commum with every mmorpg launch, ok? It's standart.

Originally posted by yabooer
    Also, I don't get upset if a game does well. I get upset at players hyping it up, and using terms like the second coming (Kind of reminds me of the beatles...) People want to say it is all the haters, when in fact I see the fanbois instigating just as much. It is the people in general which turns me off to games.

The only ones using terms like "second coming" where the negative people. I have yet to see any single positive fan using the term "second coming".

And yes, the people stirring trouble here are the minority of "haters" who just can't let it go and feel the need to get on a personal crusade against a game they didn't enjoy for some reason. Some people just like peeing in other people's cheerios.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Four0Six

If there was more realism, and less "Quest Hubs are Dead" articles, there would be a more real responce.

Agree completely.

Quest hubs are dead! Yay!

B2P is the new standard! Yay!

Holy Trinity is no more! Woot!!

No more raids! Yeah!!

Gear progression is gone foravah!! Praise all that is holy!!

well youre obviously a hater, cuz quest hubs ARE dead (now u can explore the world doing any DE u want); B2P may be the new standard once someone releases ANet's profits for this year; there are no trinities in GW2 (fact); there are raids (wtf?); gear progression is gone in the sense that it's not mandatory to enjoy the game. 

hope that helps. 

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    I love GW2... but I don't like baiting threads like this one.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

The only ones using terms like "second coming" where the negative people. I have yet to see any single positive fan using the term "second coming".

And yes, the people stirring trouble here are the minority of "haters" who just can't let it go and feel the need to get on a personal crusade against a game they didn't enjoy for some reason. Some people just like peeing in other people's cheerios.

(Removed)

Edit: there is a certain percentage of people with hidden agendas, but its not fair to simply discard someone's opinion because it doesn't match your own.  Some people really don't like the game all that much;  no hidden agenda there.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    It's kinda "kewl" in "some" circles to hate what's popular. It's the immature attitude of some people who can't tolerate others having fun with something they basically don't care about, but only use to make them feel superior to the masses who gave in to something that is actually fun. Can be a movie, a game, a TV show, music, etc...

Or those who because they enjoy something feel that it makes them superior and that everyone who doesn't agree is a blind hater.

and it is the Obama of MMo's, to be perfectly honest. u cant deny that. 

I was going to come here and make a possibly good post trying to discuss things. Then i saw this. So, my comment is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI

well i was gonna be rational, but then he mentioned Obama and GW2 in one sentence, and that got me going. i love them both so much. 

The problem is you started this. 

started what? 

Originally posted by grimal

This is interesting coming from you since just yesterday you attacked people who didn't like the game by saying  "MMOs are not for them"

Link to my post? (don't search, you won't find it, because I didn't say that).

Nice try at misinformation though.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    maybe mmorpg.com is where these people congregate, which would explain the frequency of such strange threads, maybe it's their alts posting. but why would you be MAD about it bros? the game is epic, and even when u look at it completely objectively, at the very least it's above the average. 

This is the same as it has always been. Not sure why some of you need to get a martyr complex over it.

I don't find topics like this any better.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

It's not just immaturity that creates this attitude that's for sure, some of it begins with Bands, games, or whatever that are stripped of their artistic value/integrity in order to pump it out at higher rate that brings in more revenue. That's basically a fact.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

So let me get this right. If you say the GW2 is a monster success without proof, the OP agrees.

If you rationally say, give it time before claiming it is a gigantic super success, you're a hater. Got to love the internetz.

It is way to early to claim that GW2 is a success, two weeks after SWTOR launched everyone was still talking about the record setting inital sales and everyone was busy with the story. It wasn't until after the first month the cracks in SWOTR's amor began to become exposed, and I'm sure the B2P option for GW2 will help cushion the dropoff for them. But again, it is still to early to call it a success or a failure, unless you just want to troll. The only way anyone can accurately call it a success or failure is if it was to you personally.

This discussion has been closed.