Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Five Old School Games

13»

Comments

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

Not too much to add here other than what has already been said- Really cool to see traveler mentioned.

This was a really cool article and a fun thread to read. I used to love the Boardgame section of my Hobby Shop (although I was mopre of a Pen amnd Paer RPGer) for cool strategy titles. I personally feel this is one area which Computer games have made BETTER. Strategy titles are far quicker and more complex with computers, sadly there isnt much Turn based being made these days- But games like Civ have taken the boardgame strategy element and expanded upon it and not regressed it as CRPGs have done.

Unfortunatly it seems even games like Civ are faltering to the :casual" cry of late =(

Anyhow MOAR ARTICLES LIKE THIS =D

• lastdaysgunslastdaysguns Member Posts: 2

Oh Man. You didnt even remember Cyber Punk or TMNT and what about hero quest lol.

Oh the memories of getting the dice chuckers together on saturday nights and stuffing our faces with mac n cheese and pizza, guzzling mountain dew and looking over the character sheet with wondering eyes awaiting what came next from the mouth of our DM/GM.    Hehe the memories. Thanks for the trip down memory lane .

Take care and safe journeys my friends.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by VirusDancer
    It's kind of funny thinking back to the preinternet time period as well - the various magazines that many of the games had.  Not talking about things just like Dungeon or Dragon, but ADQ - BattleTechnology...etc.  It really added to the games.I think the major depressing part, in having thought about - was losing it all about 4 years ago after a motorcycle accident.  With all the work stuff, medical stuff, post office deciding I didn't live where I did I apparently missed two payments on my storage - I couldn't blame them if they had sent a letter (post office screwed that up) but they never left a voicemail.  I found out when I went in to pay the bill... over 30 years of stuff that I had spent way too much money on, heh/meh - was all gone.  Tabletop games, RPGs, wargaming, miniatures...all gone.

/cast thread-rez.

How dreadful :( So sorry this happened to you. It is like they stole some of your history and youth. Very dissapointing. You should try to go to a game con or two during the year; those are fun and you'd get some real empathy from them about this story. Best wishes.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    My personal favorite for the old pencil-and-paper games were the Fighting Fantasy gamebook seriers from Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone; basically Choose Your Own Adventure books on steroids. They came out with well over 50 of those things and I ended up getting most of them. They were bloody cool, and had quite varied storylines and environments.

Where's the any key?

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Originally posted by Kiljaedenas
    My personal favorite for the old pencil-and-paper games were the Fighting Fantasy gamebook seriers from Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone; basically Choose Your Own Adventure books on steroids. They came out with well over 50 of those things and I ended up getting most of them. They were bloody cool, and had quite varied storylines and environments.

I loved them as well. Don't know if you have heard but Mr Ian "legend" Livingstone has written a new one, sending you the Amazon link here. There is a little video from him on the page also. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1848314051/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d39_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=08CVXKANWWT21TYMK4VB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317820867&pf_rd_i=468294