Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Quest Hubs Are Dead, Finally!

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by itgrowls
    Just love the nonsense posts here in these forums about games these people obviously don't play. Claiming that GW2 questing is linear is like saying that the earth is still flat or that it's the center of the solar system.Wandering around one runs into the zones that DE events happen in, one doesn't get directed to go to the next town by a quest handed to you by the quest hub guy you just stumble onto them.Add the feature of hidden underground and underwater zones the mixup is complete. I went inside the norn mine via swimming underwater in their small river and ended up where the dredge were mining the mountain in the norn area instead of going the standard way through the heart area (hearts deplete over time so there eventually ARE no guides aside from the shield or boss symbols on the map as only SOME events are occurring),And Drops scale to your level, you don't get a level 1 item when you are level 80 fighting a level 15 vet/miniboss.So where these weird haters are fabricating these notions is beyond me. They really are getting tiresome spreading nonsense about a game they really have no intention of ever playing and need to spend their time playing some other title instead of lying about this one. Quest hubs are dead, the holy trinity is dead. Get over it move on and have fun. That's my advice to them.

So, basically, you wrote a wall of text saying you stumbled into a quest hub only you don't want to call it a quest hub?

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by illmaculate

Just love the nonsense posts here in these forums about games these people obviously don't play. Claiming that GW2 questing is linear is like saying that the earth is still flat or that it's the center of the solar system.

Wandering around one runs into the zones that DE events happen in, one doesn't get directed to go to the next town by a quest handed to you by the quest hub guy you just stumble onto them.

Add the feature of hidden underground and underwater zones the mixup is complete. I went inside the norn mine via swimming underwater in their small river and ended up where the dredge were mining the mountain in the norn area instead of going the standard way through the heart area (hearts deplete over time so there eventually ARE no guides aside from the shield or boss symbols on the map as only SOME events are occurring),

And Drops scale to your level, you don't get a level 1 item when you are level 80 fighting a level 15 vet/miniboss.

So where these weird haters are fabricating these notions is beyond me. They really are getting tiresome spreading nonsense about a game they really have no intention of ever playing and need to spend their time playing some other title instead of lying about this one.

Quest hubs are dead, the holy trinity is dead. Get over it move on and have fun. That's my advice to them.

Rabid fanboy post.

Actually, if you follow the story quest it progresses you into the zone (aka quest hub) you need to be in for your level. Thanks for trying.

Rabid hater post, i haven't followed my story quest, haven't had a need to and I've leveled just fine without the need to follow the "completely optional" personal story questline to get to where I've wanted. 

And that's my point. Saying this game is linear is really not looking at the whole picture, but why expect anything else from these people?

So those zone titles that CLEARLY identify the target level range aren't geared toward a particular quest level? rofl just stop. Ridiculous.

You get downleveled... you're geared to do whatever you like as long as its not above you...

Rofl you ignore the obvious then call other people ridiculous.  You have options and refuse to use them.

What do you want to be forced to go anywhere you want? Rabid hater can't find something wrong so he makes shit up.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Just love the nonsense posts here in these forums about games these people obviously don't play. Claiming that GW2 questing is linear is like saying that the earth is still flat or that it's the center of the solar system.

Wandering around one runs into the zones that DE events happen in, one doesn't get directed to go to the next town by a quest handed to you by the quest hub guy you just stumble onto them.

Add the feature of hidden underground and underwater zones the mixup is complete. I went inside the norn mine via swimming underwater in their small river and ended up where the dredge were mining the mountain in the norn area instead of going the standard way through the heart area (hearts deplete over time so there eventually ARE no guides aside from the shield or boss symbols on the map as only SOME events are occurring),

And Drops scale to your level, you don't get a level 1 item when you are level 80 fighting a level 15 vet/miniboss.

So where these weird haters are fabricating these notions is beyond me. They really are getting tiresome spreading nonsense about a game they really have no intention of ever playing and need to spend their time playing some other title instead of lying about this one.

Quest hubs are dead, the holy trinity is dead. Get over it move on and have fun. That's my advice to them.

So, basically, you wrote a wall of text saying you stumbled into a quest hub only you don't want to call it a quest hub?

So basically you didn't read a thing i wrote and assumed something? just like most here do. smh hearts disappear eventually, and they are only there to help transition the less fortunate (those lke you stuck in the past who want quest hubs to be everywhere and continue to claim quest hubs exist where there are none).

It's okay tho, if those who claim quest hubs exist in gw2 actually played they would spend less time being monsters-under-the-bridge on these forums and more time killing monsters-under-the-bridge in game.

You know they added hearts because people complained they had no quest hubs or "centers of interest".... You by no means *need* to do them.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

One thing thats missing from all these games is Mystery

My dream with the genre is to have an epic adventure.

I love quest's... well written quest's... to me there is a difference between a quest and  mundane tasks. I also like  DE's  and can see them grow and mature into something much greater then they are at this point in time

I like the concept of collecting the skill point's in GW2 but wish they were not marked and needed to be discovered by adventure and exploration. I wish that nobody knew how many there were.

I tire of level progression

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Originally posted by laserit

I love quest's... well written quest's... to me there is a difference between a quest and  mundane tasks. I also like  DE's  and can see them grow and mature into something much greater then they are at this point in time

I like the concept of collecting the skill point's in GW2 but wish they were not marked and needed to be discovered by adventure and exploration. I wish that nobody knew how many there were.

you know there's places that are mysterious in game like a door I and others ran into that you had to do something special to open that was off the beaten path, or mysterious underwater caves with mazes in them. It's not all level progression in GW2 that's one of the things that makes it great, they didn't just make walls and not fill them with caves or mysteries.

Sadly that died a long time ago with wikis (or sites like them).  Mystery just becomes annoying then because all most people will do is go look up what they need.

Why alt tab if they can just add a marker?  Only way to really do this is have there be *no* map.... which would probably cause more hate.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Totally agree, not showing poi and skill points would have been good.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• illmaculateillmaculate Member UncommonPosts: 11

So basically you didn't read a thing i wrote and assumed something? just like most here do. smh hearts disappear eventually, and they are only there to help transition the less fortunate (those lke you stuck in the past who want quest hubs to be everywhere and continue to claim quest hubs exist where there are none).

It's okay tho, if those who claim quest hubs exist in gw2 actually played they would spend less time being monsters-under-the-bridge on these forums and more time killing monsters-under-the-bridge in game.

You don't get it. The article is about quest hubs being dead. You're arguing there are no quest hubs when there clearly are. Just because you can do a particular zone once you've outlevelled it doesn't make it any less true.

I'm sorry, I can't help you any further. No one is saying there aren't a multitude of things to do in the game if you choose to do so; but, you arguing there are no quest hubs is insane. I'm sorry you can't wrap your tiny brain around that.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer   Originally posted by itgrowls Just love the nonsense posts here in these forums about games these people obviously don't play. Claiming that GW2 questing is linear is like saying that the earth is still flat or that it's the center of the solar system.   Wandering around one runs into the zones that DE events happen in, one doesn't get directed to go to the next town by a quest handed to you by the quest hub guy you just stumble onto them. Add the feature of hidden underground and underwater zones the mixup is complete. I went inside the norn mine via swimming underwater in their small river and ended up where the dredge were mining the mountain in the norn area instead of going the standard way through the heart area (hearts deplete over time so there eventually ARE no guides aside from the shield or boss symbols on the map as only SOME events are occurring), And Drops scale to your level, you don't get a level 1 item when you are level 80 fighting a level 15 vet/miniboss. So where these weird haters are fabricating these notions is beyond me. They really are getting tiresome spreading nonsense about a game they really have no intention of ever playing and need to spend their time playing some other title instead of lying about this one.   Quest hubs are dead, the holy trinity is dead. Get over it move on and have fun. That's my advice to them.

Nope had to go back and read it 3-4 times before posting. Couldn't find where you substantiated that quest hubs were in fact dead.

Why is it that in every thread I have read that you have posted in, you always seem to label someone who disagrees with you or as a hater, troll or a liar?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    After gw2 and tsw I could not go back to that wow style get a huge shopping list of quests then play the map system.

My ideal leveling pve would be a mixture of the two. DEs from gw2 mixed in with tsws big multistage one at a time quests instead of the hearts.

Both are a good evoloution from the PQs of warhammer. Whoever came up with that was onto a good idea, sorry I hardly ever played them was too busy in rvr.

Originally posted by itgrowls Just love the nonsense posts here in these forums about games these people obviously don't play. Claiming that GW2 questing is linear is like saying that the earth is still flat or that it's the center of the solar system.   Wandering around one runs into the zones that DE events happen in, one doesn't get directed to go to the next town by a quest handed to you by the quest hub guy you just stumble onto them. Add the feature of hidden underground and underwater zones the mixup is complete. I went inside the norn mine via swimming underwater in their small river and ended up where the dredge were mining the mountain in the norn area instead of going the standard way through the heart area (hearts deplete over time so there eventually ARE no guides aside from the shield or boss symbols on the map as only SOME events are occurring), And Drops scale to your level, you don't get a level 1 item when you are level 80 fighting a level 15 vet/miniboss. So where these weird haters are fabricating these notions is beyond me. They really are getting tiresome spreading nonsense about a game they really have no intention of ever playing and need to spend their time playing some other title instead of lying about this one.   Quest hubs are dead, the holy trinity is dead. Get over it move on and have fun. That's my advice to them.

Nope had to go back and read it 3-4 times before posting. Couldn't find where you substantiated that quest hubs were in fact dead.

Why is it that in every thread I have read that you have posted in, you always seem to label someone who disagrees with you or as a hater, troll or a liar?

As a GW2 fan: quests hubs are not dead they are just more hidden and not necessary.  They were added late in development because people complained that they had no idea what DEs were for what level and which ones to try for.

They added hearts to give you a general idea of where you were content wise and something to do if no DE were active.

• grummzgrummz Member Posts: 56
    Originally posted by Angier2758

Originally posted by itgrowls Just love the nonsense posts here in these forums about games these people obviously don't play. Claiming that GW2 questing is linear is like saying that the earth is still flat or that it's the center of the solar system.   Wandering around one runs into the zones that DE events happen in, one doesn't get directed to go to the next town by a quest handed to you by the quest hub guy you just stumble onto them. Add the feature of hidden underground and underwater zones the mixup is complete. I went inside the norn mine via swimming underwater in their small river and ended up where the dredge were mining the mountain in the norn area instead of going the standard way through the heart area (hearts deplete over time so there eventually ARE no guides aside from the shield or boss symbols on the map as only SOME events are occurring), And Drops scale to your level, you don't get a level 1 item when you are level 80 fighting a level 15 vet/miniboss. So where these weird haters are fabricating these notions is beyond me. They really are getting tiresome spreading nonsense about a game they really have no intention of ever playing and need to spend their time playing some other title instead of lying about this one.   Quest hubs are dead, the holy trinity is dead. Get over it move on and have fun. That's my advice to them.

As a GW2 fan: quests hubs are not dead they are just more hidden and not necessary.  They were added late in development because people complained that they had no idea what DEs were for what level and which ones to try for.

They added hearts to give you a general idea of where you were content wise and something to do if no DE were active.

Yep, this is a big issue. People think you have to pursue hearts, but you're supposed to be doing DE's. People still want a guided experience, to have hints of where to go and what to do. But GW2 has opened the door, and I'm sure these improvements will come in other games.

You don't get it. The article is about quest hubs being dead. You're arguing there are no quest hubs when there clearly are. Just because you can do a particular zone once you've outlevelled it doesn't make it any less true.

I'm sorry, I can't help you any further. No one is saying there aren't a multitude of things to do in the game if you choose to do so; but, you arguing there are no quest hubs is insane. I'm sorry you can't wrap your tiny brain around that.

Your cognitive dissonance is showing. If you actually played the game everyone who has will tell you that post level 30 the guides to help people who have the handicap of expecting hubs dissappears. sorry you can't understand how that works or why they put hearts there in the first place.

Someone running up to you to yell at you about an event in the area is in no way the same as having a ! above the npc's head while he stands there dead to the world, where you have to talk to him to pickup the prohect to complete or where it directs you to the next are to talk to the next ! npc standing there waiting. Hearts are guides to help those who are stuck in the past learn how GW2 works. Nothing more. Eventually they are gone.

Sorry you view everything in the world as exactly the same. There's only one tiny brain here and it's definitely not mine. Have fun drinking your koolaid that's exactly the same as your sandwich that's exactly the same as the photons coming from your lamp, that's exactly the same as your keyboard.

Problem he's pointing out is that by using your definition a quest hub is any time you're ever given anything to do that appropriate for your level/skill.  The fans are trying to dial that back into "Easily leads you to where you need to go and doesn't give you many options" version.

You're trying to change the argument into something easily won... it would be better if the article clarified "classic WoW style quest hub is dead"

which it is (dramatized of course) because games are starting to move away from it...

• illmaculateillmaculate Member UncommonPosts: 11

Your cognitive dissonance is showing. If you actually played the game everyone who has will tell you that post level 30 the guides to help people who have the handicap of expecting hubs dissappears. sorry you can't understand how that works or why they put hearts there in the first place.

Someone running up to you to yell at you about an event in the area is in no way the same as having a ! above the npc's head while he stands there dead to the world, where you have to talk to him to pickup the prohect to complete or where it directs you to the next are to talk to the next ! npc standing there waiting. Hearts are guides to help those who are stuck in the past learn how GW2 works. Nothing more. Eventually they are gone.

Sorry you view everything in the world as exactly the same. There's only one tiny brain here and it's definitely not mine. Have fun drinking your koolaid that's exactly the same as your sandwich that's exactly the same as the photons coming from your lamp, that's exactly the same as your keyboard.

Thanks for confirming that there are, in fact, quest hubs. Smoked. Next.

We got a smart one here....

Next.

Originally posted by itgrowls Originally posted by illmaculate Originally posted by itgrowls Originally posted by GeezerGamer   Originally posted by itgrowls Just love the nonsense posts here in these forums about games these people obviously don't play. Claiming that GW2 questing is linear is like saying that the earth is still flat or that it's the center of the solar system.   Wandering around one runs into the zones that DE events happen in, one doesn't get directed to go to the next town by a quest handed to you by the quest hub guy you just stumble onto them. Add the feature of hidden underground and underwater zones the mixup is complete. I went inside the norn mine via swimming underwater in their small river and ended up where the dredge were mining the mountain in the norn area instead of going the standard way through the heart area (hearts deplete over time so there eventually ARE no guides aside from the shield or boss symbols on the map as only SOME events are occurring), And Drops scale to your level, you don't get a level 1 item when you are level 80 fighting a level 15 vet/miniboss. So where these weird haters are fabricating these notions is beyond me. They really are getting tiresome spreading nonsense about a game they really have no intention of ever playing and need to spend their time playing some other title instead of lying about this one.   Quest hubs are dead, the holy trinity is dead. Get over it move on and have fun. That's my advice to them.
    So basically you didn't read a thing i wrote and assumed something? just like most here do. smh hearts disappear eventually, and they are only there to help transition the less fortunate (those lke you stuck in the past who want quest hubs to be everywhere and continue to claim quest hubs exist where there are none). It's okay tho, if those who claim quest hubs exist in gw2 actually played they would spend less time being monsters-under-the-bridge on these forums and more time killing monsters-under-the-bridge in game.
    You don't get it. The article is about quest hubs being dead. You're arguing there are no quest hubs when there clearly are. Just because you can do a particular zone once you've outlevelled it doesn't make it any less true. I'm sorry, I can't help you any further. No one is saying there aren't a multitude of things to do in the game if you choose to do so; but, you arguing there are no quest hubs is insane. I'm sorry you can't wrap your tiny brain around that.  
    Your cognitive dissonance is showing. If you actually played the game everyone who has will tell you that post level 30 the guides to help people who have the handicap of expecting hubs dissappears. sorry you can't understand how that works or why they put hearts there in the first place. Someone running up to you to yell at you about an event in the area is in no way the same as having a ! above the npc's head while he stands there dead to the world, where you have to talk to him to pickup the prohect to complete or where it directs you to the next are to talk to the next ! npc standing there waiting. Hearts are guides to help those who are stuck in the past learn how GW2 works. Nothing more. Eventually they are gone. Sorry you view everything in the world as exactly the same. There's only one tiny brain here and it's definitely not mine. Have fun drinking your koolaid that's exactly the same as your sandwich that's exactly the same as the photons coming from your lamp, that's exactly the same as your keyboard.

In this illuminating brilliance of light complete with god rays and angel choirs in the back ground, I have experienced an epihphany. I must now concede to the elevated wisdom that dictates GW2 in fact did kill quest hubs.

We now have to work through radii of assigned tasks.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Virtual hand-holding is also considered "industry-changing" and popular these days.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• LethalityLethality Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Quest hubs... make sense. I like them.
  • FastTxFastTx Member UncommonPosts: 756
    When will we get our first Virtual Reality MMO? (VRMMORPG) Now that would be a great leap forward. This is nothing!
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I like GW2. I really do.  Its beautiful and the world is fun to explore.  The complaint I have (and its personal) is the story is too light to pull me into the adventure.  When I do talk to an NPC I somehow don't get that connection or context to why they are there.  Half of them just say one word "Hi" "Hello" "Death to the enemy"  I would have prefered something a bit scripted.  Unless I am speaking to people in my personal story.  Which are the aspects I do like.  Its almost as if they dont want you to get lost in the story but lost in the world. I want to do both. Unfortunately its hard for me to do that if I dont have a dramatic reason or motivation to do so.

I like a hybrid.  Give me a quest hub or more specifically a flouring town(GW2 nailed this) Remove icons so I have to FIND the quest giver. Forcing me to interact with the NPCs. Bring back voice overs, just not to the overdone level of SWTOR.  Voice adds character. Or just have voice and no cut scene.  Talking is a definite improvement over reading text. Then let me explore the land and determine where I have to go to finish my quest.  I dont understand why it has to be ALL (linear quest based hubs with icons) or NOTHING (no quest based hub and full exploration).  Have a bunch of stuff for me to do if I get bored trying to fulfill a quest.  A competent crafting model.  (Vanguard had awesome crafting but the game is just dated). 

Im a sucker for housing.  Let me build a house. A boat. Then sail to another land for the next 'quest hub' Give me quests on the water. Underwater. etc.  Everywhere I go there should be something for me to do.

A good market so I can sell goods for coin. Tons of loot.  Lots of stats for me to calculate.  Let me build my own character.  I want to be a rogue/ranger/warrior.  I prefer to be given XP points and allocate them how I choose. Let my gear be a factor but my skill be the final say.

Part of the fun of role playing is understanding how the role fits within the world you are living in. I understand this can be difficult in an MMO with millions of others, but dont feel its impossible.  Coming from someone who is not a developer.

Is that thempark? sandbox? theme box? sand park? I dont know.. but its closer to what I would enjoy in the long term.  Though I am accutely aware the real deciding factors are the general public of who I find I tend not to agree with entirely.

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

It's not just the Events and exploration that makes GW2 so unique. It's how it all blends in together... One moment, you're throwing snow balls at kids, the next you are defending their town from an invasion of bears only to suddenly lead down to a huge epic boss fight on a frozen lake. That's all in one single hour or so of playing... The initial goal was just to get a few hearts done but instead, you've ended up at the other side of the map, fighting homeland lol. All this without even realizing that you were actually questing. 

What really wraps it up is that not only you had fun. You're now richer, full of loot, you have crafting matts for a few levels and you got tons of Karma and such.

• blohm86blohm86 Member Posts: 43
    Im impressed.
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Yes, I will agree that "Quest Hubs" have been dealt a Death-Knell in GW2. However, zones are still horrbily linear, and quests are just "Prettied" up by hiding all the relevant data behind a "Progress Bar". However, the grindyness & ease of GW2 lends itself to a standard themepark, of which it fits perfectly into.

I will say that GW2 is the only themepark in the last 7yrs I paid for, and am still casually playing when I'm bored with DAOC, other side projects, and EQ.

Zones are not linear because there are multiple zones with any player can use to level in so you are not restricted to only one zone to use at a time.