Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: Our Time is Now trailer

Comments

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Raekon

Since you obviously didn't read my previous posts about what I think about the trailer:

- this is NOT a "Buy GW2" trailer

- this IS a "we are ANet and we did things differently to break the mold of the old mmo ways by creating GW2" trailer 

So you are saying that the target audience are players from other MMOs who have not yet bought Guild Wars 2?

I think it's rather a company promotional trailer without having ANet written allover it but rather showcased through the hidden message behind it that results to the in game transition at the end.

Had written my understanding in a other topic in the main forums general discussion many hours ago that was very close to Hokies posting in this thread which I think its spot on (except of his shoot at the charr ^_^).

Here it is for everyone that missed it before:

"Okay just so everyone knows. This was a very indirect advertisment for the game. Its purpose was not to show off the game at all.

This was 100% directed at the MMO gamer. This was a "We've heard you, and we've listened." from NCsoft and ArenaNet.

The person sitting in the chair caked in mud (ahm sh*t) that is the current MMO scene. While some kind of dull action reflects in his nearly lifless eyes. All the while hes reaching out imploringly asking to be saved. (me)

Cut to the rebel who chooses the alley instead of the main street, clearly going against the main trend of MMOs, she has to hide her face and who she really is, with the sirens and helicopter sounds implying what she is doing is wrong.

And her tag stating  "Our Time Is Now" we've waited long enough, I dont have to choke on your worlds anymore I can take off this gasmask and breath fresh new air, I dont have to hide who I am, Ive jumped that fence youve put up, Im free.

Cut to the masses standing in front of the pit of burning ashes that are all thats left of all these great MMOs we were promised. And one person not afraid to get burned taking the first step.

Cut to girl who in the red dress who is the only bright spark of color in a colorless world of MMOs that she swimming thru, a world so watered down in the mundane and the droll that shes drowning in it. But there is hope, a bright light that shes swimming up from the depths towards.

And she exits the water with her eyes wide open into the crystal clear clarity that is GW2, along with three other saved, independent, and brave gamers.

Like I said, subtle.

Edit: Oh and you may say, "But there were four others that exited the water"?

Yeah well, I didnt count the Charr, because obviously someones cat some how crossed over.

I hate manimals..."

Even company promotional trailers have a target audience. If their intention was to require certain prior knowledge about  Arenanet and their methods, then we can exclude the non-MMORPG people as target audience, but that leaves us with MMORPG people. Was that trailer good for MMORPG people assuming that the underlying messages are like the quote describes? In my opinion, it wasn't. 

Their target were obviously the mmo players that were looking forward to a game like GW2 and for them it was actually a good trailer in my opinion.

As you can see from what Hokie already wrote. That's why I didn't mentioned it extra. :)

The ones that were targeted are already in the game anyway and the ones still interested will find their way into the game through the manifesto anyway.

In all honesty, no matter if people like or dislike it, the trailer served its purpose cause people are talking about it and the game no matter what.

Like Madonna once said in the 90s(don't remember the exact wording but it was very similar to this):

"no matter if people are giving me good press or bad press, as long as they are talking about me I'm relevant!

People will play the game no matter if they like or dislike the trailer cause there is more than enough information about the game all around the net, magazine reviews, word to mouth, previous trailers, the online manual/tutorial, GW2 wiki and more.

Those that won't play it never intented to OR tried it and disliked it because it doesn't match their playstyle anyway.

Originally posted by Volkon

Cut to the masses standing in front of the pit of burning ashes that are all thats left of all these great MMOs we were promised. And one person not afraid to get burned taking the first step.

Eh... don't forget the dragon in the smoke. It's the dragon in the smoke that makes him hesitate. Only when the crowd forms does he have the courage to go on.

You little dragons nerd, you! ^_^

I know there were dragons.

Even if I wouldn't had noticed, you posted this like 6 times in this thread already. :p

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    (,,,)

Even company promotional trailers have a target audience. If their intention was to require certain prior knowledge about  Arenanet and their methods, then we can exclude the non-MMORPG people as target audience, but that leaves us with MMORPG people. Was that trailer good for MMORPG people assuming that the underlying messages are like the quote describes? In my opinion, it wasn't. 

Their target were obviously the mmo players that were looking forward to a game like GW2 and for them it was actually a good trailer in my opinion.

As you can see from what Hokie already wrote. That's why I didn't mentioned it extra. :)

The ones that were targeted are already in the game anyway and the ones still interested will find their way into the game through the manifesto anyway.

In all honesty, no matter if people like or dislike it, the trailer served its purpose cause people are talking about it and the game no matter what.

Like Madonna once said in the 90s(don't remember the exact wording but it was very similar to this):

"no matter if people are giving me good press or bad press, as long as they are talking about me I'm relevant!

People will play the game no matter if they like or dislike the trailer cause there is more than enough information about the game all around the net, magazine reviews, word to mouth, previous trailers, the online manual/tutorial, GW2 wiki and more.

Those that won't play it never intented to OR tried it and disliked it because it doesn't match their playstyle anyway.

Assuming their target is "mmo players that were looking forward to a game like GW2", how do you explain following tweet correspondance between a person named Patrick Westerhoff and the German Community Manager  Martin Kerstein:

Patrick: Watched the trailer about ten times now and it doesn't really get better :/ Also, the 3D is a lie (unless it's YouTube's fault)

Martin: you might not be the target group ;) also: we did not make it in 3D ^

Twitter-link: https://twitter.com/mkerstein/status/245224387979116544

Link obtained  from GuildWars2 Guru thread at: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/63248-official-guild-wars-2-trailer-our-time-is-now-zhaitan-spoiler-gw2-sales-reopened/page__st__180

Does this mean that Patrick is not a mmo player that was looking forward to a game like GW2? Because the alternative is that it was indeed targetted to non-mmo players, which would make the twitter conversation make sense.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by timtrack

I would but it's somewhat amusing.

That "quote" doesn't even mention my views on the trailer, nor how anyone who defy them are dense. It simply says that if you think the trailer had nothing to do with GW2 or ArenaNet (which is fine if you did), but then proceed to say you totally understood the message behind it because it's so easy to comprehend - you're lying and i think you're thick for doing so. Because, you know, i don't appreciate liars.

Pretty much what I thought you would say.

Again proving what I already said. Keep telling yourself that. Yes...we get it it. You're free to judge others as you see fit and say what you want but god forbid anyone do the same to you.

Yeah, ok. So you're dead set on "winning the argument" without any intention to even try to understand what i'm saying.

You won, congratulations! :)

(,,,)

Assuming their target is "mmo players that were looking forward to a game like GW2", how do you explain following tweet correspondance between a person named Patrick Westerhoff and the German Community Manager  Martin Kerstein:

Patrick: Watched the trailer about ten times now and it doesn't really get better :/ Also, the 3D is a lie (unless it's YouTube's fault)

Martin: you might not be the target group ;) also: we did not make it in 3D ^

Twitter-link: https://twitter.com/mkerstein/status/245224387979116544

Link obtained  from GuildWars2 Guru thread at: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/63248-official-guild-wars-2-trailer-our-time-is-now-zhaitan-spoiler-gw2-sales-reopened/page__st__180

Does this mean that Patrick is not a mmo player that was looking forward to a game like GW2? Because the alternative is that it was indeed targetted to non-mmo players, which would make the twitter conversation make sense.

Can't tell 100% since I don't know the background of the whole thing.

What I know however is that to be in a community manager position you don't have to be a gamer yourself so maybe Martin isn't the target audience because of that?

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Everyone keeps mentioning that this video seems like it should be for TSW.  Maybe it's directed for them to play GW2?!
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Eh... don't forget the dragon in the smoke. It's the dragon in the smoke that makes him hesitate. Only when the crowd forms does he have the courage to go on.

You little dragons nerd, you! ^_^

I know there were dragons.

Even if I wouldn't had noticed, you posted this like 6 times in this thread already. :p

Oh, um... sorry 'bout that.

Still... it's a cool dragon, no? Did you see the dragon?

Oderint, dum metuant.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Looks like a Charr to me

edit - now I see the dragon too. Separate from the Charr.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I get what they're doing with the video, it's not too bad, but not real good either. What I can't stand about it though is the voice they used. The whole video could have had a better feel to it if they'd just had a better voice speaking.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by EricDanie

The best art may not get understood at the time of its making. Not saying it's the best, I didn't fully get it either and only enjoyed the latter quarter of the trailer until I read most of this thread.

Definitely controversial though, should get people interested. I would have gone with the majority here and done a trailer more focused on the game, not to a "we are not in azeroth" ridiculousness level though.

The only thing "controversial" about it, is that it was so awful that it makes me want to cringe and hide in a corner.  Even worse than regular commercials :/.

Look at this thread, it's digital proof of how controversial this trailer was among the gamers in these forums if you look at both sides. People reply with "this trailer is plain bad, worst crap ever" while you have the opposite "this trailer is plain amazing, best thing ever since that 1984 Apple's commercial" replies and their clash generate this controversy.

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

It's pretty funny how we now have people defending the trailer saying they are creating something different. Newsflash folks, the trailer is nothing different.

It's ANET's version of WoW sucks, the genre is stale and you should play our game (i.e. We're not in Azeroth anymore) complete with gas masks, graffitti, 1984 themes, and rebelious youth.

If you think that's different or artsy, then you really need to broaden your horizons.

There is only one word to describe it: cliché and awful. Okay, maybe two words.

Here is an example of a solid MMO trailer with a real life elements in it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSxSyv4LC1c

No chiches, no hidden game-bashing, no pretentiousness. Just a good trailer showcasing a game's selling points (new captain's quarters for your character and massive fleet battles).

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

The best art may not get understood at the time of its making. Not saying it's the best, I didn't fully get it either and only enjoyed the latter quarter of the trailer until I read most of this thread.

Definitely controversial though, should get people interested. I would have gone with the majority here and done a trailer more focused on the game, not to a "we are not in azeroth" ridiculousness level though.

The only thing "controversial" about it, is that it was so awful that it makes me want to cringe and hide in a corner.  Even worse than regular commercials :/.

Look at this thread, it's digital proof of how controversial this trailer was among the gamers in these forums if you look at both sides. People reply with "this trailer is plain bad, worst crap ever" while you have the opposite "this trailer is plain amazing, best thing ever since that 1984 Apple's commercial" replies and their clash generate this controversy.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. So far the vast majority of responses I've seen from several different places are in agreement that the trailer was rather poor. I can't really see how it can be controversial when there are very few people who are saying it's an amazing trailer.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    I wonder if this means the revolution will be televised?

Oh noz u didnt http://youtu.be/ZT25VFayf-o?t=1m54s

Ok time to go have some fun,laterz.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by romanator0

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. So far the vast majority of responses I've seen from several different places are in agreement that the trailer was rather poor. I can't really see how it can be controversial when there are very few people who are saying it's an amazing trailer.

Have to agree with this. There's a big difference between the advertisement pushing peoples buttons and them just thinking its a bit shit.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Tardcore

Have to agree with this. There's a big difference between the advertisement pushing peoples buttons and them just thinking its a bit shit.

Yeah...really the only "controversy" to occur in this thread was when some decided those that don't care for the ad are somehow dense or unrefined in the arts.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by Tardcore

Yeah...really the only "controversy" to occur in this thread was when some decided those that don't care for the ad are somehow dense or unrefined in the arts.

It's not their fault all you dense hipsters don't understand the artistic meaning of nonconformity, graffitti and parkour.

IT IS TOO DIFFERENT. THE WORLD WAS NOT READY FOR THIS TRAILER.

• kafka1984kafka1984 Member Posts: 83
    meh

~.~

Roll the Dice

• Mikey_HazardMikey_Hazard Member Posts: 84
    This trailer is stupid and doesn't make any sense. As someone who enjoys video games, I am having a blast in GW2... As a semi-professional marketing dude, I would have loved to sit in the room
    with the guys who thought up this trailer so i could recommend that they all be fired.

Seriously... this trailer is confusing, nonsensical, and not at ALL indicative of anything the goddamn game (which is awesome) is about. There's like 9 disconnected themes running and trying to convey a feeling of... I don't know what, which culminates into a girl morphing into her game character which proceeds to show about 10 seconds of footage of a dragon and has NOTHING to do with any of the material that lead up to it.

This trailer actually made me like the game less.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." - Louis Hector Berlioz

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455
    Originally posted by Krytycal

IT IS TOO DIFFERENT. THE WORLD WAS NOT READY FOR THIS TRAILER.

Some people just want more WoW clones and don't like change. Same thing for the trailer. For me, it's a 100% success for ANET.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Mikey_HazardMikey_Hazard Member Posts: 84

Just FYI: My (and probably most everyone else’s) dislike of this trailer has nothing to do with our refined (or lack thereof) artistic palettes.

I personally love subtleties, hidden references, symbolism, allusions, metaphors, and any number of other cognitive puzzles that have become so prevalent in popular culture over the last 2 decades. The Matrix, Pi, Requiem for a Dream, Memento, Inception, The Thirteenth Floor, The Cube, Source Code, V for Vendetta, etc. ad infinitum. This is actually my FAVORITE thematic preference in both film and literature (House of Leaves, 1984, Island, Farenheit 451, and so on…).

The difference is that all of those movies (and books) which I’ve listed above actually come together at the end in a way that makes the content which preceded it actually make sense… even if it took some fuzzy logic or intellectual leaps to get there.

This trailer contains none of that. It is cliché as all holy hell and basically takes the FEEL of the mind-bending, revolutionist genre and puts together a series of individual allusions that are neither individually or as a whole really saying anything except “Ooooh... look at how artsy we are being! Doesn’t this remind you of V for Vendetta?! That sure was a cool movie huh? Did you catch our symbolic references to the elements?!? Pretty sweet huh? How about that smoky dragon head? MAN that was subtle… okay, now here’s 10 seconds of the actual game. Is your mind blown yet? C’mon! Rise up! Get out of your chairs and…. Back into your chairs!”

The trailer was stupid… I LOVE the game, I am one of those unrealistic jerks who would score it a 10/10. My criticism here is SOLEY on the trailer… which if I didn’t mention already… is stupid.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." - Louis Hector Berlioz

• NandoSupesNandoSupes Member Posts: 61
    The game is amazing,but the tralier is fucking terrible.
  • NandoSupesNandoSupes Member Posts: 61
    That's the best part of trailer, the dragon looks badass.I love the game, but it could of use a more to the point trailer.
  • TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by IceAge

Trailer is nice! I like it! And pretty much what this guy from youtube said :

I got it!

First 40 seconds are about how MMORPG genre stood completely still. Continues with graffiti part - making same mistakes again and again. Then comes quote "For those who hoped for better world, the time is now to open our eyes" - we all know? what does this mean. :) Then "To rise up" and this is clear, that we all want something new. Walking on hot coal - trying something new. AND ZHAITAN! RAWR!

I wanted to write some long post outlining the trailer for those of you who don't know how to look past the face value of something or how to derive an answer from something hidden, but that youtube comment pretty much summed it up(more or less). Arenanet is all about doing things differently. Sure they could've made some cool CG trailer that totally looked nothing like the game and was misleading in more than a few areas, or they could try and relate the game to reality, which they did and even made a crossover between a real person(the woman who emerges from the water) and a game character. The trailer was well done and because 1/2 of you don't understand it its 'obviously' crap, right? Most people didn't understand certain movies that were actually incredible movies, but because they lacked the understanding or chose to be ignorant the movie must have sucked.

Ignorance =/= lack of quality.

• VercinVercin Member UncommonPosts: 352

That was terrible. The voice actor who kept saying ''that time is now'' could have been reading me names from the phone book and it would have sounded no different, they need to fire that person ASAP.

On top of that the trailer seemed to have nothing to do with that game , but as is the case with most advirtisements these days, I could have watched all of that and then they could have sold me a Glade plugin at the end and it still would have made sense somehow.

I agree with the people who said it would have been a great TSW trailer, who knows maybe someone mixed the tapes up....I dunno.

As far as a gw2 trailer I give it a F, I would go with F  minus but at least that dragon thing at the end was awesome.

The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    I think they achieved what they where trying to get at with the video. Not a bad marketing trailer.