Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: Our Time is Now trailer

Comments

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Reminds me of this...

It's time to slay the dragon!

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by timtrack

There are thousands of gameplay videos/trailers/previews on youtube and they have been around for years. Informed gamers have already seen them and potential costumers are teased to go look for them.

This trailer/commercial is brilliant. The fact that so many hipsters around here didn't like it only proves how good it is.

Well done i say.

Lol

This thread just keeps getting better and better

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Originally posted by Raekon

there is a difference between the two you know?

There is difference between not liking and not understanding.

If people say "what is this?' doesn't necessarily means they don't get it. It means they are surprised because for them it is bad way to represent GW2. You did question their mental ability to understand the trailer just like the rest who called tem dense and hipsters.

You were just more polite that is all.

According to you the people that called such names had called them towards people that disliked the trailer so there is indeed a difference between what they did and what I did.

There were several people that indeed didn't understood the trailer and it has nothing to do with intelligence in the first place but rather with imagination and understanding of art.

Also with the fact that the trailer were full of hidden messages that also needed one to have some knowledge about the company and the game to understand.

That's why it was normal that some might not understand it in the first place.

As example: many people can draw but they do it differently, some can take a picture of one and draw a portrait flawlessly but lack the imagination to come up with something to draw out of their own imagination.

Other artists again can draw you fantastic creatures from outer space out of their own imagination but can't "replicate" a already taken picture by redrawing it.

Others can do both and are considered as top talents because "they can do it all".

Heck you can put a "natural" next to a "learned" concept artist and the natural could bring better things on the table than the learned one because the "natural" has more talent and has it easier in that case where the "learned" one has to try hard and put everything he/she learned into place to bring out something good (only as example).

So it comes down to perception and ways of thinking as also the amount of imagination.

Only because you are as negative as you seem to be thought your postings, it doesnt mean that everyone is like that nor that you are right with your opinion about me.

Try to think a little bit more positive in the future, it will help you a lot.

As a sidenote: If you think that the trailer represents solely GW2 as a game or as a "buy me" trailer, then you really didn't got the trailer either. ^_^

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

So the general conclusion around those who didn't like it seems to be "it didn't tell me a cool, im-game story about GW2, so I didn't like it"? A bit like "the trailer didn't do what I think it should do, so I didn't like it". Not only that, but we see comments such as "that was the worst trailer ever" or "this will do the game more harm then good". I mean really? How can one asume these people are nothing but dense? Comments like that are just blown right out of proportion.

If you say something like "It's the worst trailer i've ever seen and i don't like it" i simply can not take you seriously. Even if it didn't resonate with you, even if it didn't make you want to buy the game, even if you thought it was ugly, it is in no shape way or form the worst trailer ever made. That's a fact, not an opinion.

It also seems to be common to claim that "the message in the video is simple to grasp but it has nothing to do with GW2, therefor i don't like it". If you don't see how it has everything to do with GW2 and Arenanet (the creator of GW2) you cannot claim that the message was simple to grasp, because you didn't get it. Then i can, without shame, call you thick for not getting it while claiming that you got it.

So, if you actually didn't like it. Try to say something other then "lol it's the worst trailer i've ever seen, it has nothing to do with GW2. But i totally get the message cause it's so simple". Because if you do, you are in fact dense and people will call you so.

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

I like the trailer, at least it's different from all the costy CGI trailers.

I guess those who don't like it just want some flashy computer generated stuff which in no way reflects the game anyway.

Yes...I'm sure that is the case. Not enough flashy stuff. Wtf are some of you smoking?

Obviously better stuff than those that made that ad.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

So the general conclusion around those who didn't like it seems to be "it didn't tell me a cool, im-game story about GW2, so I didn't like it"? A bit like "the trailer didn't do what I think it should do, so I didn't like it". Not only that, but we see comments such as "that was the worst trailer ever" or "this will do the game more harm then good". I mean really? How can one asume these people are nothing but dense? Comments like that are just blown right out of proportion.

If you say something like "It's the worst trailer i've ever seen and i don't like it" i simply can not take you seriously. Even if it didn't resonate with you, even if it didn't make you want to buy the game, even if you thought it was ugly, it is in no shape way or form the worst trailer ever made. That's a fact, not an opinion.

It also seems to be common to claim that "the message in the video is simple to grasp but it has nothing to do with GW2, therefor i don't like it". If you don't see how it has everything to do with GW2 and Arenanet (the creator of GW2) you cannot claim that the message was simple to grasp, because you didn't get it. Then i can, without shame, call you thick for not getting it while claiming that you got it.

So, if you actually didn't like it. Try to say something other then "lol it's the worst trailer i've ever seen, it has nothing to do with GW2. But i totally get the message cause it's so simple". Because if you do, you are in fact dense and people will call you so.

Why should anyone have to? Does it make any sense to call you dense or a fanboy for liking it? What reason does anyone have to justify their dislike of the ad for you? What difference does their reason for not liking it make?

Try to be a bit less pretentious. Might do you well.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

If people say "what is this?' doesn't necessarily means they don't get it. It means they are surprised because for them it is bad way to represent GW2. You did question their mental ability to understand the trailer just like the rest who called tem dense and hipsters.

According to you the people that called such names had called them towards people that disliked the trailer so there is indeed a difference between what they did and what I did.

There were several people that indeed didn't understood the trailer and it has nothing to do with intelligence in the first place but rather with imagination and understanding of art.

Also with the fact that the trailer were full of hidden messages that also needed one to have some knowledge about the company and the game to understand.

That's why it was normal that some might not understand it in the first place.

As example: many people can draw but they do it differently, some can take a picture of one and draw a portrait flawlessly but lack the imagination to come up with something to draw out of their own imagination.

Other artists again can draw you fantastic creatures from outer space out of their own imagination but can't "replicate" a already taken picture by redrawing it.

Others can do both and are considered as top talents because "they can do it all".

Heck you can put a "natural" next to a "learned" concept artist and the natural could bring better things on the table than the learned one because the "natural" has more talent and has it easier in that case where the "learned" one has to try hard and put everything he/she learned into place to bring out something good (only as example).

So it comes down to perception and ways of thinking as also the amount of imagination.

Only because you are as negative as you seem to be thought your postings, it doesnt mean that everyone is like that nor that you are right with your opinion about me.

Try to think a little bit more positive in the future, it will help you a lot.

As a sidenote: If you think that the trailer represents GW2 then you really didn't got the trailer either. ^_^

My first comment was 'i will pretend i never saw it'. I didn't even bother posting here till fans started calling people dense, stupid and what not for disliking the trailer.

I don't know what is more negative..just to give your opinion on why you dislike the trailer or fans targeting you for giving an opinion. Just notice how people were simply giving an opinion about the trailer and got attacked by fans.

This is the problem here. Some people are just subtle about it while others are in your face with name calling. Hard to make a difference when you can't say anything bad or slightly negative about GW2 without getting attacked personaly.

And yes for me this trailer doesn't represent GW2.

Bite Me

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    I hate to say it but the slogan sounds like a song sung by a boy band. Nsync?
  • ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219

Are u kidding me? u call this trailer ART? a Blind man can see that this trailer is total garbage. has ur fanatism for gw2 no limits?

Arent u forgetting who the TARGET AUDIENCE is of this trailer?  For sure not ppl who already baught it and are playing it.

how should a person who never heard of guild wars 2 know anything about the company or the game and the hidden messages.

this is ridiculous.

#//

it blows my mind when i think of a reason why they chose to release such a trailer if there have been FAR better trailers of GW2.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

In your assumption that it had intentional underlying messages that only people familiar with MMORPGs, specifically with the company Arenanet, would understand, the question arises: why on Earth would they create that video in the first place then? The manifesto is enough.

Either MMORPG connoisseurs is the main target audience, in which case they did a horrible job or the mainstream non-MMORPG public is the target audience in which case they also did a horrible job. "Horrible" is of course strictly my opinion.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Thralia

Are u kidding me? u call this trailer ART? a Blind man can see that this trailer is total garbage. has ur fanatism for gw2 no limits?

Arent u forgetting who the TARGET AUDIENCE is of this trailer?  For sure not ppl who already baught it and are playing it.

how should a person who never heard of guild wars 2 know anything about the company or the game and the hidden messages.

this is ridiculous.

#//

it blows my mind when i think of a reason why they chose to release such a trailer if there have been FAR better trailers of GW2.

Since you obviously didn't read my previous posts about what I think about the trailer:

- this is NOT a "Buy GW2" trailer

- this IS a "we are ANet and we did things differently to break the mold of the old mmo ways by creating GW2" trailer 

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Why should anyone have to? Does it make any sense to call you dense or a fanboy for liking it? What reason does anyone have to justify their dislike of the ad for you? What difference does their reason for not liking it make?

Try to be a bit less pretentious. Might do you well.

You don't HAVE to breathe either, it's optional.

I like this new buzzword, pretentious.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

In your assumption that it had intentional underlying messages that only people familiar with MMORPGs, specifically with the company Arenanet, would understand, the question arises: why on Earth would they create that video in the first place then? The manifesto is enough.

Either MMORPG connoisseurs is the main target audience, in which case they did a horrible job or the mainstream non-MMORPG public is the target audience in which case they also did a horrible job. "Horrible" is of course strictly my opinion.

I think that is an underlying theme many are conveying. It simply isn't a very useful marketing tool compared to how Anet has handled things so far and what they had available to them.

But really, who are we to stand in the way of art?

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Thralia

this is ridiculous.

#//

Since you obviously didn't read my previous posts about what I think about the trailer:

- this IS a "we are ANet and we did things differently to break the mold of the old mmo ways by creating GW2" trailer 

So you are saying that the target audience are players from other MMOs who have not yet bought Guild Wars 2?

Feel free to replace that with your hipster novelty. I always love teaching others new words. Makes the world a better place.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

You're suggesting that it doesn't even have a "target audience" - ANet just spent all that money to make a statement?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    I like it. It make sense now when i've watched it a few times.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

I knew there was something the title was making me remember.

IMO, this should be the game's new theme song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JAa3NvP6f4

Originally posted by MMOwanderer

I knew there was soemthing the title was making me remember.

XD

Feel free to replace that with your hipster novelty. I always love teaching others new words. Makes the world a better place.

Indeed. But please, tell me more about your expertise in marketing and how the trailer doesn't do a very good job at it.

Narrated by the late Morgan Freeman: "Meanwhile, this very thread continues to return false by default to that statement"

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Sylvarii
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by jpnz

Issue is that 90% of the trailer didn't represent the game anyway.

Why not tell a story or something with in-game graphics like the last 10sec of that trailer?

But the trailer tells a story and contains a message. Of course, it's not as obvious as Kung Fu Panda owning an orc and a humen (I like that trailer a lot too, don't get me wrong).

EDIT: at least Raekon got it too :)

I got it alright,just didn't like it,does that make you more intelligent than me or the rest of us who got it but didn't like it?

Bored at work...and posting total of 4 times in a hilarious topic where crazy fans keep telling others 'you don't get it' would hardly be a crusade.

However i still prefer their hand painted style trailers. If i never knew about GW2 i will just watch this trailer and look the other side.

Pot calling the kettle black... but whatever.

I agree the hand painted trailers are nothing short of amazing, I like them a lot too.

Stop assuming you and your buddy are the only ones who got it and the rest of us are just thick,god forbid we just didn't like it.

I didn't knew that "the korrigan" is my buddy so thanks for the info on that. ^_^

Other than that I already replied earlier to your negative post towards me so maybe you should take a look at it and understand that my posting had nothing to do with the people that disliked the trailer but rather with the people that really didn't understood the background of it?

Who are you to suggest or make claims that certain people don't understand it,who are these people you claim don't understand it,have you got proof that this is the case.

Nope, you have not got any grounds or proof that people didn't understand it.

Your just assuming certain people didn't understand the trailer,you can't back up that claim at all.

The trailer is poor imo and many others and i doubt you actually understand it like you are claiming.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

Indeed. But please, tell me more about your expertise in marketing and how the trailer doesn't do a very good job at it.

Narrated by the late Morgan Freeman: "Meanwhile, this very thread continues to return false by default to that statement"

You can only question his background in marketing if you yourself are an expert in it. Are you? otherwise this discussion doesn't make any sense to begin with.

Bite Me

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/11/us-morganfreeman-facebook-idUSBRE88A00P20120911

He's not doing bad considering he died in 2010 also .. 

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

I knew there was soemthing the title was making me remember.

XD

You know, i think i even have a better trailer. Sorry, i haven't watched WWE since, forever.

*John Cena walks out into the ring*

*He pulls out his WWE title and throws it to the ground*

*The crowd goes :O*

*Cena pulls out a GW2 box*

*The song "My time is now" plays*

*Everyone in the crowd goes crazy and happy*

Cena says: "The champ is HERE!!!

*Holds teh GW2 box up high with both hands*

GW2 box copy appears on screens and narrator says:

"GW2. The new champion as arrived. Buy it now"

Originally posted by Requiem1066

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/11/us-morganfreeman-facebook-idUSBRE88A00P20120911

He's not doing bad considering he died in 2010 also .. 

I think he's trying to pull an Elvis.