Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: Our Time is Now trailer

Comments

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266
    I adore this game, but i have mixed feelings about this trailer. I cannot say i "dislike" it. It is just... Well... CONFUSING!!! I fell like actually having 25 stacks of consusion on me... "Where am I?"
  • ShimpoGenmuShimpoGenmu Member Posts: 66

best mmo in recent years but dat trailer was bad

squaresoft-square enix still still does the best trailers-cgi movies

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Okay... what the heck was that trailer? o_O

Made no sense and it felt like a TSW trailer for the initial 90% of it.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Best response is once again provided by Reddit

ROFL

bzooty: I love Guild Wars 2. This doesn't make me want to play Guild Wars 2.

pauliwoggiusMiazma: I think it was made for people who have no idea what Guild Wars 2 is.

bzooty: And they still won't after viewing this.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301

its really hard to use real people without having really really good actors, im guessing this are internal talents or some random people they got on a scholl.

I think that is what is shocking is that it starts with real people and then there is a avatarish moment when the girls materializes her self as the avatar.

i love the idea , but the execution is not the best in the world.

anyways for a game add i think it does the job.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

For something so few seem to like there are quite a few people still talking about it... maybe that's the intent.

Dragon! Seriously, no one noticed the dragon?

Oderint, dum metuant.

Heh heh... ok, this is funny. I just showed the trailer to my son (he's 9) without telling him what it was. Right at the start of the running/spraypaint scene he says "That's not Guild Wars 2." But, he was still transfixed watching it all the way to when Zhaitan appeared. Then his mouth was wide open at the sight of Zhaitan (funny to see). At the end of the trailer... "That was awesome!"

Mind you, this was through the eyes of a 9 year old that currently is a GW2 fan, but he loved it.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Volkon

Heh heh... ok, this is funny. I just showed the trailer to my son (he's 9) without telling him what it was. Right at the start of the running/spraypaint scene he says "That's not Guild Wars 2." But, he was still transfixed watching it all the way to when Zhaitan appeared. Then his mouth was wide open at the sight of Zhaitan (funny to see). At the end of the trailer... "That was awesome!"

Mind you, this was through the eyes of a 9 year old that currently is a GW2 fan, but he loved it.

So that means that 9-year-olds could possibly be one of the targetted audiences?

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

So that means that 9-year-olds could possibly be one of the targetted audiences?

Or simply a younger crowd than we old forum cronies.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

At least people are talking about the trailer / game, so even if I dont like the trailer I have to say they nailed it on the "lets get some more publicity" - but I really dont think it's the case where someone makes a bad commercial just to get publicity in an upsidedown-kinda way, like some companies like to do.

Case lately comes to mind from Nokia showing off in their video how amazing the camera feature is in the new Lumia, and then it turns out the video been made with a movie camera and the still pictures on a set. Everyone I know thought that went way under the bar from Nokia but they also talked about it, if the commercial would have simply showcased just features of the phone I guarantee no one I know would have even ever mentioned it.

On purpose or not? I dont know, but I believe the Anet's / NCsoft's trailer simply just was wrong and crap, but might have the same kind of effect of making people to talk about it. At least here it does, and it even unifies haters and fans to agree for once on something ;D

• KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293

Reminded me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMCflZ6sdt0

I didnt like the commercial but its more likely to draw the attention of someone not familiar with games (other than facebook social ones) than a full traditional video game trailer.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

For something so few seem to like there are quite a few people still talking about it... maybe that's the intent.

Dragon! Seriously, no one noticed the dragon?

Dragon was alright, not the most impressive though not bad.

There are two types of publicity, Good publicity and Bad publicity. For this trailer... its leaning at the bad publicity. Sure you garnish attention, but its not typically attention you want.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Worst MMO trailer I've ever seen, and there are some pretty bad ones.

One of the best MMO's in years, with the worst trailer, strange.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

The message behind it and the interpretetion was almost poetic and I liked it. :)

They could had made it a bit easier for the "masses" to understand through the narrative though.

The reason I'm saying that is that when I see all the reactions in the forums here and under the general discussion of the main forums, it looks as if it were a bit "heavy" for some.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I had a friend after seeing, while in-game, say "I'm quiting."
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Raekon

The message behind it and the interpretetion was almost poetic and I liked it. :)

They could had made it a bit easier for the "masses" to understand through the narrative though.

The reason I'm saying that is that when I see all the reactions in the forums here and under the general discussion of the main forums, it looks as if it were a bit "heavy" for some.

Another,if you didn't like it it's because you didn't get it post,okay.

We are not as intelligent as you.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

it looks as if it were a bit "heavy" for some.

or just plain bad ? 

No clue why people have a need to jusitfiy someone's dislike as anything more than ermmm Doh !! Just not liking it .

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Oh, i see. GUYS, you just need a "poetic, deep mentality" to the understand the GW2 trailer! See, it's not their fault, you're doing it wrong image

Seriously, the message the trailer communicates is very simple and easy to understand. The reason why it's bad is because the images and scenes used don't fuse together well. There's no connection with GW2, mmorpgs or anything video game related at all. It's not "poetic" or "heavy for the masses". It's just pretentious. I'm hating not on the game itself, but the trailer, yes.

BTW, anyone else noticed how the can says blue, but the paint is red when she draws? I lol'ed

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Not that I really care (and probably need to watch this with sound but I can't do that at work) but there's nothing wrong with the trailer. Not sure why so many people dislike it.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219
    ok so i just watched it and it is probably one of the most horrible mmo trailers ive ever seen. this did more damage than good in my honest opinion. if u dont know how to make epic trailers that really makes u want to play the game watch some blizzard trailers (pretty much ALL of their games). they pretty much nail all of them.
  • KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293
    On the other hand if they were trying to reach the casual, non-mmo crowd with this spot they forgot to add the most important piece of info... that the game doesn't require a subscription fee.
  • NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

Cool you added a new word 'heavy' to the list . So far people who dislike trailer are...

Dense

Just don't get it

Can't grasp the concept

Dumb

Stupid

Hipsters.

I like how you people try to justify someones dislike by calling him/her names.

Bite Me

Originally posted by MMOwanderer

Oh, i see. GUYS, you just need a "poetic, deep mentality" to the understand the GW2 trailer! See, it's not their fault, you're doing it wrong image

Seriously, the message the trailer communicates is very simple and easy to understand. The reason why it's bad is because the images and scenes used don't fuse together well. There's no connection with GW2, mmorpgs or anything video game related at all. It's not "poetic" or "heavy for the masses". It's a pretentious. I'm hating on the game itself, but the trailer, yes.

BTW, anyone else noticed how the can says blue, but the paint is red when she draws? I lol'ed

I'm going to have to look again. Interestingly enough, the director has ties to the Matrix... I wonder if that wasn't done intentionally?

Oderint, dum metuant.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

I'm going to have to look again. Interestingly enough, the director has ties to the Matrix... I wonder if that wasn't done intentionally?

Which one is it Volkon? Red or blue spray paint? But really, i noticed when someone pointed it out on reddit last night. Just stop the video in time and you can see it.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
     It's not "poetic" or "heavy for the masses". It's a pretentious.

And that's why it's so good. I've seen hundreds of straightforward, politically correct and easy to digest trailers already. It would be extremely be boring to watch another one of those.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).