Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think GW2 will have content updates at the same level of P2P titles?

2»

Comments

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

My only concern with GW2 is me running out of content to work towards fairly soon, I mean I have lots of lower level areas to complete, but that is something I will do at a certain pace, its not something I am going out of my way to just finish in one guy, mainly cause it gets a bit boring quickly for me personally.

So for the minute I have a few things on my list, finish the high level areas I havent done, get my legendary weapon ( already working on it ), get the dungeons sets and do some WvW.

And my problem at the moment is that I can see light at the end of the tunnel, I am surprisingly enjoying the game quite a lot, but especially how quick I managed to complete Orr ( just shy of 2 days ), I dont see there being much content left after I finish grinding the dungeons for the sets and get a legendary weapon. I will continue to do some WvW as I am really enjoying it, but my hopes are that they will add more content ( paid or not ) as I start to get bored of PVP and run out of interesting things to do.

I am hoping for more WvW, mainly improvement upon the model make things more interesting and hopefully more interesting maps.

And events akin of Orr but much more complicated that require a constant server push of some sort, rather than the "that waypoint is contested", would be nice to have an area with a more streamlined event with a front line of sorts and with zone wide effects going on.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Raven

My only concern with GW2 is me running out of content to work towards fairly soon, I mean I have lots of lower level areas to complete, but that is something I will do at a certain pace, its not something I am going out of my way to just finish in one guy, mainly cause it gets a bit boring quickly for me personally.

So for the minute I have a few things on my list, finish the high level areas I havent done, get my legendary weapon ( already working on it ), get the dungeons sets and do some WvW.

And my problem at the moment is that I can see light at the end of the tunnel, I am surprisingly enjoying the game quite a lot, but especially how quick I managed to complete Orr ( just shy of 2 days ), I dont see there being much content left after I finish grinding the dungeons for the sets and get a legendary weapon. I will continue to do some WvW as I am really enjoying it, but my hopes are that they will add more content ( paid or not ) as I start to get bored of PVP and run out of interesting things to do.

How is this different than any other MMO that is newly released? 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Originally posted by xpiher

How is this different than any other MMO that is newly released? 

Naa im pretty sure WoW has kept me entertained for more than a month after release and even the release of a new expansion. This is me personally, I couldnt give two shits about what other people feel is fun for them or what they feel I should be doing, I am only saying this cause I do like the content I am playing at the minute, there just isnt much more of it to keep me entertained passed a certain mark.

For instance I would dread to be level 31 or whatever after playing 100h like some people have posted here, the lower level areas are so crap compared to the high level stuff, I dont know how people manage the mindless lower level grind for so long, sure I will complete every single area, because thats the way I roll but defeating the centaurs for the 100000th time and just standing there attacking a mob while its zerged down was more than enough when  I was leveling. 

End of the day I am hoping for more content, and please dont turn this into a dick measuring contest, I am not talking about other MMOs you brought it up, I personally want more content I enjoy paid or not, because I feel its going to run out soonish. Ohh and more challenges.

If I had my way the way Orr is tuned would be the first thing you get in game, and then I would have worked from there and up, making even more interesting and challenging stuff. WvW is about right for now, needs more stuff happening in the emptiness of the maps, and more people allowed in.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

End of the day I am hoping for more content, and please dont turn this into a dick measuring contest, I am not talking about other MMOs you brought it up, I personally want more content I enjoy paid or not, because I feel its going to run out soonish. Ohh and more challenges.

ANET will be delivering more content but probably not quick enough for your pace

content updates will hopefully not be any slower than RIFT

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    That is my biggest concern. Being a B2P model do you think GW2 will stick to old GW 1 method of content updates? or did Anet say anything about frequent content addition and maybe i missed the news.

Well, they have so far patched at least very second day since launch so they hav eso far put a lot of post launch work into the game. I think they will do like in GW1 and add some zones like Drok for free while they add most of the content in expansions and campaigns.

And those will cost you money and be more common than Wows expansions, maybe one every month or so but they will add plenty of content. Unlike companies like FunCom is ANET actually fast to add content.

So I wouldnt worry too much except that you might need to cough up $45 this spring.

Originally posted by Nadia

ANET will be delivering more content but probably not quick enough for your pace

content updates will hopefully not be any slower than RIFT

For me personally I think the tuning was off, as I said on the edit I did on my previous post, Orr type of difficulty would have been about the 3rd zone you get to, and I would have kept scaling up in difficulty and challenge from then on, even with zergs or not, Orr is not trivial and that  is one of the things I like about it. 

I feel like too much of the content was too easy, all they need to do to keep me entertained is to have a zone with a much higher difficulty, and with much larger zone wide consequences to get people working together.

But yeah if they are delivering regular content updates then I am happy with that, I mean logically you cannot backpedal after you led people to Orr I wouldnt expect a worse experience from then on, so hopefully we can only get more interesting content.

More WvW stuff would be cool too, but for the minute I am having stil lots of fun and I only mainly play on my server instance, so I still have 2 more instances to truly experience to death, before I am bored of it, also the experiences have been varied enough so far.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb
    That is my biggest concern. Being a B2P model do you think GW2 will stick to old GW 1 method of content updates? or did Anet say anything about frequent content addition and maybe i missed the news.

They do not have the monetary income of P2P titles, so the answer to your thread's title is no. I believe it'll probably be based on GW1's update schedule as that worked well for them for years.

You're really reaching man. Not sure how you know they don't have the monetary income of p2p titles. Pretty big assumption you're making there they won't because of the sub.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    I'm going with it depends on how well the gem shop does?  IF they are making a good amount of money off of there they will probably release more content without an expansion.  But,  I would expect for new dungeions and areas to have to buy an expansion.
  • MisarisMisaris Member Posts: 140
    Originally posted by Starpower

Of Course

They will be milking the title with paid expansions for a long time to come. To do that they also have to throw the community some bones to keep them playing

What?? but I thought this is buy to play? So they will charge for updates other MMOs get for free included with the sub?

sounds like a scam model then.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Misaris

What?? but I thought this is buy to play? So they will charge for updates other MMOs get for free included with the sub?

sounds like a scam model then.

I completely agree. Wtf is with them wanting to charge for expansions? Who does that?

/exits stage left

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

absolutely no idea.  I'll worry about it when I'm starting to run out of the content there is

I self identify as a monkey.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

Didn't they say expansions will not be as regular as Gw1's but more than likely 12months instead ?

I'm sure someone posted the article on this board at one point

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    I find it strange that there's no official infomation on this.  This is deffinitely one of the things to find out before you purchase the game.  You're gunna wanna know what you're getting in hte long term.  Strange there's no info on it really.(I'm guessing there isn't, due to the nature and speculation of the posts in this thread).

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

They're probably waiting until things settle down to determine just how much they can expect to make from microtransactions. GW2's market is not infinite, eventually the majority of people who wanted to buy GW2 will own it, and the revenue from base edition box sales will be nowhere close to what it is now. At that point they'll need to rely on microtransactions to help keep things afloat.

My guess is that if Microtransactions are not enough then they'll need to revert to GW1's paid-expansion-every-X-months model to boost their revenue through additional box sales.

• rimaxo14rimaxo14 Member Posts: 118
    Simple buy stuff here and there off the Black Lion and in Return receive Content patch's here and there have a good night.

EVGA FTW-3 MOBO X58
    EVGA GTX 580
    G.SKILL RIPJAW 12GB
    INTEL I7 950
    CORSAIR H70 CPU COOLER
    CORSAIR 1200W 80+GOLD

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Do you mean like maybe 1 content update every 6 months like the  #1 MMORPG in the market?

No something like Rift or monthly updates of TSW. Even if it is small content update doesn't matter. Just curious because i don't want this fun to end ;)

Rift and DDO are the content update leaders from what I have seen. TSW is only talk right now, they haven't been around long enough to prove their words. Many devs have promised regular content, talk is cheap here.

My gut states yes it will be inline for what you see from sub based games.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    faster then WoW that for sure,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

Originally posted by QuicklyScott
    I find it strange that there's no official infomation on this.  This is deffinitely one of the things to find out before you purchase the game.  You're gunna wanna know what you're getting in hte long term.  Strange there's no info on it really.(I'm guessing there isn't, due to the nature and speculation of the posts in this thread).

Because the game has been rushed and they are playing catch up. Not meaning this in the worst way, just the feeling I have. They have plans, but they don't have the time to outline them to us right now.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    My guess is there will yearly paid expansions and smaller downloadable content packs (much like you get with single player game ). As for free major patches I'm really not sure . They have to make money some way or another .
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by sk8chalif
    faster then WoW that for sure,

But then again, who's not?

Originally posted by HorrorScope
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Do you mean like maybe 1 content update every 6 months like the  #1 MMORPG in the market?

No something like Rift or monthly updates of TSW. Even if it is small content update doesn't matter. Just curious because i don't want this fun to end ;)

Rift and DDO are the content update leaders from what I have seen. TSW is only talk right now, they haven't been around long enough to prove their words. Many devs have promised regular content, talk is cheap here.

My gut states yes it will be inline for what you see from sub based games.

To update, Funcom just had a big round of layoffs and the lead dev is now gone. I just mention it, because of history. Until you prove to the gamers you can release timely content, you have not. And togo with the percentages, whatever is promised, it's usually much longer. That is why I will prop Rift and I will prop DDO. They deliver content.