Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does EA/Bioware owe us?

2»

Comments

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by evgen88

I don't blame Bioware so much as EA.

I am pretty sure the games industry is the same as the movie industry.

You have all these skilled peopel that want to make a good product, then you have these fools with no clue that control the money that get what they want. I realized this when I saw Kevin Smith talking about his experience with the producers of the last Superman Movie.

I concur.

Bioware lost creative control over their titles when EA purchased them. Bioware could design a gold plated game that wipes your ass and feeds you while you play their nuero-registering thought controlled game that increases IQ and promotes a high metabolic state while you play. If EA decides it wouldn't be cost effective, then it gets thrown out of the meeting and we get Bunnies of Fiery Fluffy Doom(minus extended overcost ending) if it has a higher perspective profit margin.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    They owe us nothing. Self entitlement has become quite the epidemic over the past two decades hasn't it.

Joined - July 2004

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by remyburke
    They owe us nothing. Self entitlement has become quite the epidemic over the past two decades hasn't it.

Actually there is a point in there that I feel the OP is correct on. I feel as if they should have some sort of obligation to keep a game up and running for a certain period of time.  The rest of the stuff though is SoL though. 

• Some "funny" responses . . .

Let me clear something up, living in Japan I have no hopes of claiming any refund or whatever.

I'm just curious about the level of support, and the direction the game is taking.

To me, avoiding paying any refunds or whatever is a good reason to make people want to quit the game while trying not to make it obvious they are doing so.

Of course the buyer should beware, but there are laws to protect the consumer.

If you are unaware of those then you are just giving an unbased opinion, which is worth than the data bits its saved on.

The basic premis here is that you buy a product that is useless without the service the company provides. That's like selling an empty box, the customer isn't "just out of luck" when that happens.

• CakeisyummehCakeisyummeh Member Posts: 194
    They owe me £70.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh

They owe me £70.

They don't. They never guaranteed you will like their product.

It was your choice to purchase.

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221
    I guess well thought out, not repiticious endgame is out of the question?
  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    I think I would consider their debt to society paid if they all committed Seppuku.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Some "funny" responses . . .

Let me clear something up, living in Japan I have no hopes of claiming any refund or whatever.

I'm just curious about the level of support, and the direction the game is taking.

Haven't played in months but from a quick looksy around their site shows that 1.4 is on their test servers ready to be released soon. If Bioware was attempting to pull support why bother with new content?

To me, avoiding paying any refunds or whatever is a good reason to make people want to quit the game while trying not to make it obvious they are doing so.

If you are unaware of those then you are just giving an unbased opinion, which is worth than the data bits its saved on.

Not sure if you are aware of this or not, but the moment you purchase a MMO nowadays, you own it. There is no taking it back to the store. And there is no refunds from the company either because you aren't owed one.  Unless you can prove that there wasn't a game to play you don't have a case.

The basic premis here is that you buy a product that is useless without the service the company provides. That's like selling an empty box, the customer isn't "just out of luck" when that happens.

The problem is that none of what you are saying has happened. The company is still servicing the game so what is the point of dealing in a hypothetical that doesn't exist?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Originally posted by ktanner3

Haven't played in months but from a quick looksy around their site shows that 1.4 is on their test servers ready to be released soon. If Bioware was attempting to pull support why bother with new content?

Not sure if you are aware of this or not, but the moment you purchase a MMO nowadays, you own it. There is no taking it back to the store. And there is no refunds from the company either because you aren't owed one.  Unless you can prove that there wasn't a game to play you don't have a case.

The problem is that none of what you are saying has happened. The company is still servicing the game so what is the point of dealing in a hypothetical that doesn't exist?

ooooookaaaaaay

Your first point was answered immediately following where you inserted it. If they just stopped supporting the game an releasing content that probably would go against any obligation they have when selling a service reliant product.

I like the game, I don't want my money back. I want to know if they have any obligation to keep the game running for a certain period. If they are trying to subvertly run the game into the ground there probably isn't much point playing it any more.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591
    One Star Wars MMORPG.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Unfortunately, there is no lemon law for compute softare, so you are correct.

However, there is a recourse of action, Class Action Lawsuits.

On the surface, yes, EA Bioware has no class for what they did.  But in a court, there could be a determination that the product offered was not what was purchased.  It could happen, but it would be difficult, between the number of astroturfers on the SWTOR forums, and still those who are willing to pay anything to play a Star Wars game (/sigh loyal SW fans willing to accept anything).

So, it's not enirely impossible, under law, to get a full refund for a MMO.  It just hasn't been done yet, and (sadly) there are many more MMO's out there that would be candidates beyond just SWTOR.

SWTOR was an awful game .. but not a terrible-bad-OMG-killU game.  I guess it doesn't qualify?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    Originally posted by Karteli

On the surface, yes, EA Bioware has no class for what they did.  But in a court, there could be a determination that the product offered was not what was purchased.  It could happen, but it would be difficult, between the number of astroturfers on the SWTOR forums, and still those who are willing to pay anything to play a Star Wars game (/sigh loyal SW fans willing to accept anything).

So, it's not enirely impossible, under law, to get a full refund for a MMO.  It just hasn't been done yet, and (sadly) there are many more MMO's out there that would be candidates beyond just SWTOR.

SWTOR was an awful game .. but not a terrible-bad-OMG-killU game.  I guess it doesn't qualify?

What exactly did BioWare promise you that you did not get?

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • KertKert Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Originally posted by Quesa
    Originally posted by Karteli

What exactly did BioWare promise you that you did not get?

A fun game worth playing?.... 

In all seriousness, computer games are more like movies now. If you're not entertained, you move on to the next. Although at least with a trip to the movies, it's slightly less expensive, and comes with snacks. 

They're entertainment industry.... unsatisfied?... sorry, better luck next time. I'm not saying I think it's right, but it is not going to change overnight if at all.

ooooookaaaaaay

Your first point was answered immediately following where you inserted it. If they just stopped supporting the game an releasing content that probably would go against any obligation they have when selling a service reliant product.

But they haven't done that.

I like the game, I don't want my money back. I want to know if they have any obligation to keep the game running for a certain period. If they are trying to subvertly run the game into the ground there probably isn't much point playing it any more.

And the answer that has been told to you over and over is NO. Have you ever played an MMO before?There is no time frame that they are obligated to keep the game running. So if you feel that day of reckoning is happening soon then by all means quit. 

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

We owe it to ourselve to question buying or subscribing to anything related to EA or LA until they become honest brokers (I'm not holding my breath).

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Not quite nothing. There is an implied contract but it is pretty close to nothing. 

Self-entitlement? I would look to customer satisfaction - something that has driven quality standards in the last 30 years across the world. The reason that some industries have thrived in some countries whilst failing in other countries; their home market customers have forced them to deliver quality products. The drive for quality has driven innovation and resulted in those companies taking a huge share of the world market. 

If EA had released SWTOR as a single player game a co-op element then their reputation would probably have been enhanced. Selling SWTOR as an mmo however ... there is no legal recourse but there have - and will continue - to be fall out that impacts EA.

Originally posted by gervaise1

Not quite nothing. There is an implied contract but it is pretty close to nothing. 

Self-entitlement? I would look to customer satisfaction - something that has driven quality standards in the last 30 years across the world. The reason that some industries have thrived in some countries whilst failing in other countries; their home market customers have forced them to deliver quality products. The drive for quality has driven innovation and resulted in those companies taking a huge share of the world market. 

If EA had released SWTOR as a single player game a co-op element then their reputation would probably have been enhanced. Selling SWTOR as an mmo however ... there is no legal recourse but there have - and will continue - to be fall out that impacts EA.

Most would agree that if the majority of customers who buy a product aren't satisfied that there will be repercussions that could impact future sales. But that isn't what this thread is about.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    I want a hundred bucks back, delete my account and shit.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350
    I have purchased every Bioware game up to and including SWTOR and ME 3. I will never, ever purchase another product with the Bioware (or EA, or Lucasart) name on it again.
  • djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177
    They owe you nothing, and you agreed to that when you clicked on the legal stuff before you played for the first time.
  • patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155
    They owe me about 150 euro. First time I ever bought a collectors edition, and was dissapointed.