Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is better than...??

13»

Comments

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Chieftan
    Originally posted by Xten
    Originally posted by Eir_S

*looks at post history*

*walks away*

indeed, The dude has posted nothing but hate towards he game long before it was released even and he keeps mentioning how diablo 2 and 3 have more players then any other game, blizzboy.

Wow.

Any other stalkers want to talk about GW2?

lol dont flatter yourself , it took a mere glance at your post history to see.

• IzikIzik Member Posts: 111
    Originally posted by redman875
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Oh also, I think tsw has a better gfx engine. Possibly tera too, but I'm only going off videos on that one.

TSW and Tera have a much more complex graphics engine, but they looked a bit.... plastic to me.  Especially TSW.  The animations reminded me of 90's CGI where no one was quite sure how to make all the parts move together realistically.

Nah that was a function of programming not the engine.  AoC had fantastic animations and combat and used the same game engine.  Also the fact that my roomate was able to play it on a 5 year old computer with a gtx260 and the lowest setting looked better and ran better than a lot of other games on high...well thats a good engine.  Also getting whatever their version of WvWvW to work with such high graphic tech as they did was impressive from what i saw... 

Now with GW2...only DX9 of course it should run good on an average system, a new game thats suppose to be AAA or whatever with only dx9 is a shortcut.  I feel that DX11 would have shown the engines flaws.

You can say a lot of negative things about TSW for all i care, not my type of game, but that game engine is fantastic.  But if were going to bash other games here i feel at least that game has substance in it.  comparing TSW to GW2 is like comparing Highlights magazine (anyone remember those?) to a Von Mises book.  

+1

You guys are absolutely delusional if you think GW2 has good graphics. Please do yourself a favor and educate yourself before posting next time. Bloom and post processing effects are used ad nauseum in this game to disguise the low polygon count and low-res textures.

Check out: TSW (best looking game in the genre currently), Tera, Rift, Lotro, and Age of Conan's Rise of the Godslayer zones. 

• DonVadimDonVadim Member UncommonPosts: 46

quality I'm used to from WOW and TOR

lol

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by DonVadim

quality I'm used to from WOW and TOR

lol

Ironic isn't it :)

• ZenonSethZenonSeth Member Posts: 128
    Originally posted by Izik

+1

You guys are absolutely delusional if you think GW2 has good graphics. Please do yourself a favor and educate yourself before posting next time. Bloom and post processing effects are used ad nauseum in this game to disguise the low polygon count and low-res textures.

Check out: TSW (best looking game in the genre currently), Tera, Rift, Lotro, and Age of Conan's Rise of the Godslayer zones. 

Hey, I'm sorry you don't like the graphics of GW2. 

That's fine, because the term "good graphics" is entirey subjective and not in any way quantifyable.

I think GW2's graphics are great, as do a large number of reviewers out there, and not just amateur reviewers either.

But again, it's fine if you don't like them. Just don't act like your opinion is purely objective and that there's some abstract right or wrong answer.

p.s.: I play with bloom and all post-processing turned off. That's not what I'm referring to when i say I think GW2 has good graphics.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Oh also, I think tsw has a better gfx engine. Possibly tera too, but I'm only going off videos on that one.

TSW and Tera have a much more complex graphics engine, but they looked a bit.... plastic to me.  Especially TSW.  The animations reminded me of 90's CGI where no one was quite sure how to make all the parts move together realistically.

Nah that was a function of programming not the engine.  AoC had fantastic animations and combat and used the same game engine.  Also the fact that my roomate was able to play it on a 5 year old computer with a gtx260 and the lowest setting looked better and ran better than a lot of other games on high...well thats a good engine.  Also getting whatever their version of WvWvW to work with such high graphic tech as they did was impressive from what i saw... 

Now with GW2...only DX9 of course it should run good on an average system, a new game thats suppose to be AAA or whatever with only dx9 is a shortcut.  I feel that DX11 would have shown the engines flaws.

You can say a lot of negative things about TSW for all i care, not my type of game, but that game engine is fantastic.  But if were going to bash other games here i feel at least that game has substance in it.  comparing TSW to GW2 is like comparing Highlights magazine (anyone remember those?) to a Von Mises book.  

+1

None of that matters.

Every technical aspect of computer graphics exists for one, and one purpose only:  To render art.

In the end, the actual art of the game matters WAY more than the technical aspects of the graphics.  And that is why I love the graphics of GW2 so much.  The art is beautiful, unique, and very well fitting for the theme of the game.

I could honestly care less what kind of effects it uses.  All that matters to me is what I see.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• tiglietiglie Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by tyfon

I don't know why you say the graphics are good, but it might be the style which is easy to make. If it had not been cartoonish style it would have looked absolutely awfull.

AoC from 2008 blows it right out of the water, and the performance is very poor on modern hardware. I got 40ish fps on my gtx 670 and 15-20 in WvWvW. And yes, that was with subsampling off.

It doesn't even support DX10, let alone DX11. I don't know of any other game that have come in 2012 with only DX9 support.

I'm not really a graphics whore, but to say that GW2 has a good engine is a lot of baloney.

You should look at your drivers or even your system a little more closely. I run the same GTX 670 and my fps is higher.  edit: I removed the other photo so you could also possibly use the settings I have and it may help your fps. :)

Lawl, clicker

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

+1

TSW - best looking game? They used a SSO game - thinks look flat and lifeless and it also looks awful.

Tera is nice but they use fade in the background so it looks MEH. Rift is OK but the engine uses the CPU too much.

GW2 is meant to look like a drawn world - so it does. I like it's looks.

You are the one delusional. Having DX-11 does nothing if your graphics are piss poor like TSW.

Originally posted by botrytis

+1

TSW - best looking game? They used a SSO game - thinks look flat and lifeless and it also looks awful.

Tera is nice but they use fade in the background so it looks MEH. Rift is OK but the engine uses the CPU too much.

GW2 is meant to look like a drawn world - so it does. I like it's looks.

You are the one delusional. Having DX-11 does nothing if your graphics are piss poor like TSW.

./facepalm

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/the-secret-world-txaa/

Fanboyism running rampant yet again

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

The graphics engine is the best in the business

What?? Did you see graphics in TSW? Or Archeage?

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I dont know where all these Kool-aid drinkers are coming from. I played GW2 as did most of my guild and the consensis in our circle is that this game is just meh. NOTHING new here, nothing "different" enough from what's already out there to get me to want to seriously put time into a new MMO. Don't get me wrong, If this was my first MMO, id have played longer, but its not and I wont be.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

The graphics engine is the best in the business

What?? Did you see graphics in TSW? Or Archeage?

ZOMG Archage?! Have you not seen the game play videos? Its pretty terricrap. TSW was meh. int he graphical department. The War Z has a pretty sweet graphics engine, their trailer should be coming out soon too hopefully.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• mbolmembolme Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by ZigZags
    I dont know where all these Kool-aid drinkers are coming from. I played GW2 as did most of my guild and the consensis in our circle is that this game is just meh. NOTHING new here, nothing "different" enough from what's already out there to get me to want to seriously put time into a new MMO. Don't get me wrong, If this was my first MMO, id have played longer, but its not and I wont be.

OTOH, I don't understand why we can't love the game. You don't - fine, I get it. It's nothing special to you.

I do. I find it fresh and enjoyable. I will play it a long, long time. We evidentally have different tastes. It doesn't mean I'm drinking any Kool-aid.

By all means, find a game you like and play it.

Originally posted by Creslin321

+1

None of that matters.

Every technical aspect of computer graphics exists for one, and one purpose only:  To render art.

In the end, the actual art of the game matters WAY more than the technical aspects of the graphics.  And that is why I love the graphics of GW2 so much.  The art is beautiful, unique, and very well fitting for the theme of the game.

I could honestly care less what kind of effects it uses.  All that matters to me is what I see.

Ok so you like the "art style" of the game.

You know what game I think has a great art style? Angry Birds. Does that mean it has good graphics? No. 

I mean that's cool if that's all that matters to you. But for people with a trained eye for quality, it's not enough.

Like I've said before, it reminds me of people that walk into Best Buy and buy a TV because it catches their eye and looks "bright and shiny". Well of course it does: they jack up the brightness levels to attract your eye at the store. Doesn't mean that TV has superior image quality, deep black levels, or a high contrast ratio. Similar situation with GW2 tbh.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

The graphics engine is the best in the business.  I will say that because it's true and a completely negative review is never accurate.

But everywhere else there's holes that I didn't expect to find and  because they were rarely if ever mentioned by all the fanboy beta testers.

The first dungeon is for level 30+.  Seriously?  No wonder they didn't put a group finder in.  Alot of players will quit before they get that far.

I don't really see the issue with this. There isn't a need for a group finder anyways (IMO) since most of the content you can do without a hard and fast group. Of course, I'm a little biased since I hate group finders anyways. Removes the need to make friends in game.

The skill system is laughable.  I mean it looks great--until you actually play the game and realize you've learned all your weapon skills at level 5.  PVP must be a headache.  By the way I'm just assuming that because I can already tell I don't want to go there.

The skill system isn't much different than other MMOs. The only real difference is that they made traits seperate from the skill tree, which can give more customization. Remember, traits + skill combination = build. 

The controls feel like GW1 which is not a good thing and the main reason I never could get into that game.  They're slightly improved over GW1 but definitely not the quality I'm used to from WOW and TOR.

The control are the exact same as every MMO on the market...

No mounts of any kind.

They might add them, but unlike other games there isn't a need for them since you can instant port all over the map

No housing of any kind.

Welcome to themepark games

The tradeskill system is...um yeah.

Welcome to themepark games? Out side the discovery system, the tradeskill system feels exactly like every themepark on the market.

F2P does not mean better.  If a game has ever reinforced this notion it is GW2.  It is so devoid of features it feels like a struggling sub MMO in freebie mode.

See orange. 

As to graphics: Low polygon count etc HELPS WITH SCALING! This makes GW2 playable on sub par PCs. Its fantastic.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher