Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is my dream sandbox game, and what we sandboxers are looking for

13»

Comments

• ShimpoGenmuShimpoGenmu Member Posts: 66
    no thx i am waiting for archeage
  • KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by KaosProphet

Which one is more likely:

• That no "huge market" exists for sandbox MMOs or...
    • ...every single major developer hasn't noticed the elephant in the room.

Occam's razor is a friend.

Interestingly, Occam's razor was created as a tool against the very facets of human psychology that would make option 2 more likely.

So... Basically you know better than the ones who do this for a living? I find it highly unlikely.

What makes you think I don't do this for a living?

Edit:  should also point out at least one of the major developers has finally noticed the elephant.  Just nobody likes or trusts him these days.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

How is what the OP mentioned a sandbox game. It is strictly a PvP game, he does know what sandbox means? Options to play your character in a world the way you want to play. Sandbox games fail because they only focus on PvP and nothing on the rest of the game play that should be in a sandbox game. Look at DF great PvP game had potential to be a great MMO but they only focused on PvP and not only that zerg PvP. Other games have been the same. A true sandbox game would have a balance with PvE and PvP.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Why do people keep referring to DayZ like it's an MMO?  It's an FPS mod like counterstrike or TF.

I have yet to hear anything to convince me that games like DayZ or minecraft could be converted into MMOs.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    I love EVE but my dream sandbox MMO would be UO with latest graphic engine. 

Bite Me

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    I love EVE but my dream sandbox MMO would be UO with latest graphic engine. 

same here.

It is a travesty that nobody has re-created UO on a midetn engine since 1999. That and the fact that no one made a Stalker MMO :( (dayz is getting there, but it is not exactly it).

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Malcanis
    Originally posted by MMOman101
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

scams legal...in EVE, 

I then suicide gank their ship and come with an alt and take their stuff...

.it makes it like how the real world is. It is REALISM.

I want to be able to hijack a corp from inside, take it down...corporate espionage. Just like in the real world.

What world do you live in?

Scams are not legal.  People go to jail.

Aren't you cute for believing that.

You only go to jail for scamming small amounts in RL. Scam more than a few million and you're a "job creator".

go tell that to Bernard Madoff...

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159

All the varied responses in this thread illustrate why it's so difficult to create a sandbox game that is going to appeal to a wide audience.  The title of this thread is the sandbox game that "we" sandboxers want, and yet there are so many dissenting opinions that you can see it's very difficult to create a sandbox game that is going to appeal to a broad spectrum of people.

You can hardly get a consensus of if the game should have PvP or not and then there is a whole debate about how realistic the PvP should be and that's just one aspect of the game. 

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Which one is more likely:

• That no "huge market" exists for sandbox MMOs or...
    • ...every single major developer hasn't noticed the elephant in the room.

Occam's razor is a friend.

Interestingly, Occam's razor was created as a tool against the very facets of human psychology that would make option 2 more likely.

So... Basically you know better than the ones who do this for a living? I find it highly unlikely.

What makes you think I don't do this for a living?

Edit:  should also point out at least one of the major developers has finally noticed the elephant.  Just nobody likes or trusts him these days.

To be honest, no I don't think you are a game developer. I don't think no noteworthy developer thinks like that. It is fine to be devoted to your cause, but when it reaches religious proportions it stops being beneficial.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    IMO the problem with sanboxed, open world, Free-For-All MMO's like Eve, Mortal Online, Darkfall ETC ETC, is that once players on the server start to establish themselves, it becomes increasingly difficult for new players to join since newbies are at the mercy of the more established players and especially when some don't know the meaning of word mercy or giving a break imageimage which is why I suspect is one of the main reasons for theme parkers to be much more popular just my 2 cents.