Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hate to say it but I'm not impressed

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by someforumguy

What items you have to pay real money for? I expanded my bank with gems btw. Gems that I bought with ingame gold. So let some other suckers pay with rl money for the gems is what I say.

Way to miss my point completely.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Why spend real money when there's not many things worth paying for, just convert 50 silver a day for ~200 gems to expand your bank bay and buy character slots, everything else is pretty much fluff except for the trading post boosts (which are on sale atm)- the other boost consumables you can obtain through completing each map zone exploration.

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by Lokberg

Yeah with all that endgame content not available until you hit the level cap oh wait.

Unless by lasting you mean having players pay real money for in game items, charging them for things they should be able to unlock through gameplay.  Yeah that's lasting appeal right there, for their bottom line.

At least WvW provides PVP where your actions help leave a lasting mark on the landscape of battle unless another player takes it from you.  Wait no, the server just resets everything you do there.

But you can unlock it through gameplay unless i found an exploit with the gold to gem conversion, oh no i might get banned if what he said is true.

No cash shop + gameplay unlocking everything is a much better formula.  Truth is, gold sellers make money, Arenanet wanted to cash in.  Not the nicest way to put it, sure, but if they didn't want to make money off selling gold, they'd give the stuff away or have it part of the game with no gem shop.

I guess I'm just spoiled by other MMORPGs where I'm on even ground, nobody can pay to gain an advantage.

How is getting more space to store things or more chars to split your time on or 1 extra bag on each char giving me an advantage not like i can wear more items..... ( im playing my way to getting the convenience other with no time or to much money feel they need right away and pay for)

Man that would be a thing pay 10 dollars to be able to wear a second necklace ^_^ ( this is not true )

Stop saying random things that is untrue mate.

If your point is that they should give new content out for free then why are there any p2p games out there that do less but charge anyway? atleast in gw2 you have a choise to pay or not.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    You should research your games better. Loving every second of Tyria. Just hit 80 and I have so frikn much to do. Hated on gw2 for a long time. Never thought it would be so utterly gd amazing! Anet ftw!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

What items you have to pay real money for? I expanded my bank with gems btw. Gems that I bought with ingame gold. So let some other suckers pay with rl money for the gems is what I say.

Way to miss my point completely.

"Unless by lasting you mean having players pay real money for in game items, charging them for things they should be able to unlock through gameplay.  Yeah that's lasting appeal right there, for their bottom line."

Explain. Why not give an example?

Yeah with all that endgame content not available until you hit the level cap oh wait.

Unless by lasting you mean having players pay real money for in game items, charging them for things they should be able to unlock through gameplay.  Yeah that's lasting appeal right there, for their bottom line.

At least WvW provides PVP where your actions help leave a lasting mark on the landscape of battle unless another player takes it from you.  Wait no, the server just resets everything you do there.

But you can unlock it through gameplay unless i found an exploit with the gold to gem conversion, oh no i might get banned if what he said is true.

No cash shop + gameplay unlocking everything is a much better formula.  Truth is, gold sellers make money, Arenanet wanted to cash in.  Not the nicest way to put it, sure, but if they didn't want to make money off selling gold, they'd give the stuff away or have it part of the game with no gem shop.

I guess I'm just spoiled by other MMORPGs where I'm on even ground, nobody can pay to gain an advantage.

How is getting more space to store things or more chars to split your time on or 1 extra bag on each char giving me an advantage not like i can wear more items..... ( im playing my way to getting the convenience other with no time or to much money feel they need right away and pay for)

Man that would be a thing pay 10 dollars to be able to wear a second necklace ^_^ ( this is not true )

Hey guess what mate.  You can pay real money, to gain in game money.  You can spend in game money, on siege equipment.  This is for player versus player combat.  You then have spent real money to get something to use against another player.

Catch all that mate?

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315

Why pay real money when playing give you the coin.

I dont see the problem if people with less time pay their way to be able to do the same stuff as myself they cant get something special that is locked to me.

Its not giving an advantage its evening out the gap bettwen people with to much time to play and people with to much money and little time imo

Hey guess what mate.  You can pay real money, to gain in game money.  You can spend in game money, on siege equipment.  This is for player versus player combat.  You then have spent real money to get something to use against another player.

Catch all that mate?

I was sceptical at first too about this. The buying gems with real money and selling them for ingame gold. Untill they announced that the trading post would combine all worlds. This battles inflation like no other game has before. Because the result is that if you actually buy gems atm, you get 800 for 10euro. That is about only 2gold atm. Which is nothing lol. So when ppl buy gems, its probably to directly buy a bank tab or characterslot. And the rest of the gems is pumped into the game.

And apart from bank, characterslots (which you now can actually pay with ingame gold for btw) and one additional bagslot there is nothing to buy that is worth anything. The boosters are all available through the game from achievement chests. No weapons and no armour are avaiable in the store,so nothing that gives you an advantage is exclusively from the store.

I am convinced now by them. They actually made this work.

So yeah, what is the big deal here?

I dont see the problem if people with less time pay their way to be able to do the same stuff as myself they cant get something special that is locked to me.

Here's the problem I have with it.  1v1 PVP.  Two absolutely equally skilled players of the same class.  One has had not much luck and only has enough silver to cover repairs.  His equipment is 15 levels below him.  The other spent real money to buy the best possible armor, weapons, jewelry, equipment upgrades, and buffs from cash shop.

One of these players paid real money for an advantage.

• gtompkins48gtompkins48 Member Posts: 14

Here's the problem I have with it.  1v1 PVP.  Two absolutely equally skilled players of the same class.  One has had not much luck and only has enough silver to cover repairs.  His equipment is 15 levels below him.  The other spent real money to buy the best possible armor, weapons, jewelry, equipment upgrades, and buffs from cash shop.

Uh...buddy. You do realize that PvP uses maxxed-stat armor/weapons reguardless of your level & real armor....right?

Love when people bitch about a game they've never played. Fail

You lost all credit there.In structured PVP you dont play with your PVE gear. Might want to do some research.

In WvWvW you play with your PVE toon and you have to be really terribad to not have gear for your lvl in this game, because it is dirt cheap on trading post because of the huge price competition of all worlds combined. Your gear also gets scaled up to 80 btw.

The only thing you could actually buy to get a statistical advantage are exotics with gold you bought gems for. But gems/gold is a very bad conversion ratio. If you do that then you spent loads of rl money (easily over 100 euros atm) for a ridiculous small statistical advantage that will not matter at all in WvWvW.

GW2 is not a gear based game. If you think your exotics will help you a lot in PVP, you die.

EDIT : Coffeebreak is over, going back to GW2. Have fun with your wrong assumptions, OP.

You lost all credit there.In structured PVP you dont play with your PVE gear. Might want to do some research.

In WvWvW you play with your PVE toon and you have to be really terribad to not have gear for your lvl in this game, because it is dirt cheap on trading post because of the huge price competition of all worlds combined. Your gear also gets scaled up to 80 btw.

The only thing you could actually buy to get a statistical advantage are exotics with gold you bought gems for. But gems/gold is a very bad conversion ratio. If you do that then you spent loads of rl money (easily over 100 euros atm) for a ridiculous small statistical advantage that will not matter at all in WvWvW.

GW2 is not a gear based game. If you think your exotics will help you a lot in PVP, you die.

So you admit you can gain an advantage.

And I was referring to a theoretical chance encounter in WvW where your equipment IS used, not sPVP.

So before telling me to do research, might want to read what I wrote instead of just throwing in sPVP as if I said it.

Again, the point I'm trying to make is there are things you can purchase with real money that help out in player versus player combat in this game.

I realize it likely won't matter in day to day WvW because honestly, it's all just zerg anyways.  If you use siege, well who knows, maybe you bought that with real money for the advantage over the tower defenders!

Originally posted by gtompkins48

Uh...buddy. You do realize that PvP uses maxxed-stat armor/weapons reguardless of your level & real armor....right?

I'm talking WvW, not structured.  My weapon has never changed because I entered borderlands.  It was SCALED, but that is different.

So to your second post on this site I say FAIL

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Ooooh these posts.

Listen guys.  It's perfectly fine not to like the game.  No one is going to begrudge your opinion if you just say that the game wasn't for you.

But here's the thing...

As it stands right now, the game is packed with players and is a critical darling...93% on metacritic.  So to call the game "poo" because YOU didn't like it is ummmmm.....stupid.

Well said! The game is not perfedt of course. I am enjoying it, however even for me there are many things I would like to change or improve. But call it "poo" just ... make you seem silly not to say really stupid.

Nice ninja edit gtomp, after you noticed I already addressed your point.  Yes gear is SCALED, but that doesn't mean a level 1 dagger scaled to 80 is equal with a level 79 dagger scaled to 80.

Glad to inform you of this though!

And I was referring to a theoretical chance encounter in WvW where your equipment IS used, not sPVP.

So before telling me to do research, might want to read what I wrote instead of just throwing in sPVP as if I said it.

Again, the point I'm trying to make is there are things you can purchase with real money that help out in player versus player combat in this game.

I realize it likely won't matter in day to day WvW because honestly, it's all just zerg anyways.  If you use siege, well who knows, maybe you bought that with real money for the advantage over the tower defenders!

You didnt specify which type of PVP so I still wonder if you really knew. And again, it doesnt matter. The gear is scaled up. And it won't help you. People who reason like you get facerolled in this game over and over again. Ive seen comments ingame like this from people who think they die because his gear is greens or blues. After I watched them play. They were just bad and didn't see the big attacks coming. Big attacks that rip through any gear as if it is butter.

It is about skill. The people here raging about PVP are actual bad players.

Ok, going really now, just caught your comment when editing my former post. Have fun raging against a game you clearly haven't played. It is NOT a gearbased game. Learn the difference please, preferably by giving it a try, so you can actually get your head wrapped around this.

I'm talking WvW, not structured.  My weapon has never changed because I entered borderlands.  It was SCALED, but that is different.

Because people are gonna spend 200$ on exotic gear? Get a grip, 20 dollars gets you like 3 gold in the game. Anyone who wanted to buy armor with real money would go straight to the Chinese, just like any other MMO. Also you said your gear scaled....which means it scaled. So whats your point? Their armor looks cooler? PvP is gear balanced

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

Hmm last time I checked I seem to be replacing my gear with slightly better stuff every 5 levels or so.   The power difference of the replacement gear may not be Huge but it is disingenuous to imply that gear has now  impact  in GW2 especially when you are talking about Exotics which surely help in PvP.

GW2 is a B2P MMO with a cash shop, the cash shop isn't restricted to vanity items like pets and sun glasses.  There are power ups, Xp boosters, Armor enchancers,etc...and Gems,   dozens of things that will make your character more powerful.

The level of power and impact can be debated but we can't debate the simply truth that GW2 supports paying for some level of  advantage over other players.

You didnt specify which type of PVP so I still wonder if you really knew. And again, it doesnt matter. The gear is scaled up. And it won't help you. People who reason like you get facerolled in this game over and over again. Ive seen comments ingame like this from people who think they die because his gear is greens or blues. After I watched them play. They were just bad and didn't see the big attacks coming. Big attacks that rip through any gear as if it is butter.

It is about skill. The people here raging about PVP are actual bad players.

Ok, going really now, just caught your comment when editing my former post. Have luck raging against a game you clearly haven't played. It is NOT a gearbased game. Learn the difference please, preferably by giving it a try, so you can actually get your head wrapped around this.

If you cannot see any shortcomings in this game, then there is as much hope for me to inform you of them as there is for me to show a blind man a painting.

I can believe the skill comment with regards to Structured.  In WvW however, it's numbers, and equipment, and siege.

I got 73 kills today in WvW without dying.  Why?  The amount of gold spent on siege and the numbers of my team versus their team.  If you want to claim it is my skill instead, sure, but I won't believe you.

If you think my example of the cash shop giving an advantage was me raging about PVP, then you missed my point.  I feel that there shouldn't be a cash shop.  I think something earned in game means more than something bought with real money in a game.

I never claimed it was a gear based game either.  It, however, has equipment with stats.  It may not be BASED on gear, but gear helps, and real money can get you that gear.

Originally posted by rutaq

Hmm last time I checked I seem to be replacing my gear with slightly better stuff every 5 levels or so.   The power difference of the replacement gear may not be Huge but it is disingenuous to imply that gear has now  impact  in GW2 especially when you are talking about Exotics which surely help in PvP.

GW2 is a B2P MMO with a cash shop, the cash shop isn't restricted to vanity items like pets and sun glasses.  There are power ups, Xp boosters, Armor enchancers,etc...and Gems,   dozens of things that will make your character more powerful.

The level of power and impact can be debated but we can't debate the simply truth that GW2 supports paying for some level of  advantage over other players.

PvP is gear balanced...armor enhancements you buy in the cash shop are cosmetic.....xp boosts only count for kills which account for 0.1% of your leveling. Now that the trading post is up you guys are really grasping at straws looking for reasons to complain. 

Because people are gonna spend 200$ on exotic gear? Get a grip, 20 dollars gets you like 3 gold in the game. Anyone who wanted to buy armor with real money would go straight to the Chinese, just like any other MMO. Also you said your gear scaled....which means it scaled. So whats your point? Their armor looks cooler? PvP is gear balanced

Did you know levels scale in this game too?  Did you know a level 80 in a 1-15 zone is more powerful than any actual level 15 in that zone?  Scaling in this game doesn't make every piece of equipment on the field equal.  It's not a perfect balance.

Also, WTF?  Do you seriously think there is no person who will spend that kind of money?  You must be new to the MMO cash shop scene.  There are some individual items in other MMOs that go for many times that.  And, people buy them.

PvP is gear balanced...armor enhancements you buy in the cash shop are cosmetic.....xp boosts only count for kills which account for 0.1% of your leveling. Now that the trading post is up you guys are really grasping at straws looking for reasons to complain. 

There are boosts which increase your damage = paid advantage.

You can't buy damage increasing boosters in the cash shop....now you're just making things up. There are damage boosters in game, but you CANT buy them in the cash shop.  They are given to you as PvE rewards and Account Bound. Fail.

"For Sale" Boosts

Xp

Crafting

Killstreaks

Glory (PvP money for cosmetic enhancements)

Magic Find

You can't buy damage increasing boosters in the cash shop....now you're just making things up. There are damage boosters in game, but you CANT buy them in the cash shop.  They are given to you as PvE rewards and Account Bound. Fail.

"For Sale" Boosts

Xp

Crafting

Killstreaks

Glory (PvP money for cosmetic enhancements)

Magic Find

Fail.  I got one out of a black lion chest.  Black Lion chests are unlocked with cash shop keys.

Try again please.

Edit: For reference so that I'm not accused of making things up yet again, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Black_Lion_Chest