Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

I really wanted to like this game

sarbonnsarbonn Kentwood, MIPosts: 108Member

I played for about a week, got to the second area where I wandered around a bit, but found myself lacking anything to really do in the game. I'm sure there's lots in the game that is interesting, but they don't make it easy to figure out just what that content might be. It's like playing a game where you have a regular path from a to b, but you're convinced that there's a whole lot more there that is probably a lot more fun than the basic content, but finding it is practically impossible. I've gone online, looking for information, asked in chat, but basically people seem to hold that information to heart and for reasons that escape me, would rather people leave than divulge anything.

That's the broader problem of what I find lacking. Overall, the game experience hasn't been that bad. I was one of the COH migrants who were pushed out of their previous game, and I was hoping The Secret World might be the answer. There's great writing in the game, which was an immediate goodie for me. I mainly play healers in games, and figuring how to do that has been frustrating beyond belief.

Then there's the sense that the people who run the company don't really want to talk to their customers. I tried to resolve an issue I was having with the game and went to their "support" area. It has you enter a queue to speak to a customer service rep. But he never shows up. Ever. On four separate days, I tried to get someone to speak to me, but even though they have it set up to work that way, they don't actually acnowledge their customers.

So I went to their boards, thinking I could post my concern in a troubleshooting board. Turns out, "the administrator" has revoked the ability for anyone to sign up for registration on the boards. So, unless you're already signed up, you're screwed. I went looking for an email address to write someone and finally just gave up.

And I think that's been the majority of the problem for this game since the beginning. I heard very little about this game when it first came out. It's like they thought word of mouth would spread without actually doing anything to start the conversation. The only news I've heard about this game so far is that it's failing, that it didn't get the number of people it needed, and that they fired staff as a result. On the boards for the last week after I joined the game, the main dev wrote one of the most "I refuse to acknowledge that my ship is sinking, but I'm going to pass out more cocktails while we go deeper" type of blog post as his response to the negativity.

So it looks like I'm probably moving on to Guild Wars 2. I hope the game does better and ends up being everything everyone wants it to be. It sure has a lot of potential under the hood. Or so I think it does.

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 lakeland, FLPosts: 4,074Member Common
    Originally posted by sarbonn

I played for about a week, got to the second area where I wandered around a bit, but found myself lacking anything to really do in the game. I'm sure there's lots in the game that is interesting, but they don't make it easy to figure out just what that content might be. It's like playing a game where you have a regular path from a to b, but you're convinced that there's a whole lot more there that is probably a lot more fun than the basic content, but finding it is practically impossible. I've gone online, looking for information, asked in chat, but basically people seem to hold that information to heart and for reasons that escape me, would rather people leave than divulge anything.

Exploring is one of the things I like about this game. You never know what you are going to find. But really, most of the quests do lead you to the general vacinity of  other quests. This game has a less linear path than other themeparks so it takes getting use to. 

That's the broader problem of what I find lacking. Overall, the game experience hasn't been that bad. I was one of the COH migrants who were pushed out of their previous game, and I was hoping The Secret World might be the answer. There's great writing in the game, which was an immediate goodie for me. I mainly play healers in games, and figuring how to do that has been frustrating beyond belief.

Then there's the sense that the people who run the company don't really want to talk to their customers. I tried to resolve an issue I was having with the game and went to their "support" area. It has you enter a queue to speak to a customer service rep. But he never shows up. Ever. On four separate days, I tried to get someone to speak to me, but even though they have it set up to work that way, they don't actually acnowledge their customers.

So I went to their boards, thinking I could post my concern in a troubleshooting board. Turns out, "the administrator" has revoked the ability for anyone to sign up for registration on the boards. So, unless you're already signed up, you're screwed. I went looking for an email address to write someone and finally just gave up.

Their customer service does leave a lot to be desired. I don't even bother using the help anymore. I'm afraid that I'l just end up getting another CR who will try and convince me that the problem is my system and not the buggy game that they released.  

And I think that's been the majority of the problem for this game since the beginning. I heard very little about this game when it first came out. It's like they thought word of mouth would spread without actually doing anything to start the conversation. The only news I've heard about this game so far is that it's failing, that it didn't get the number of people it needed, and that they fired staff as a result. On the boards for the last week after I joined the game, the main dev wrote one of the most "I refuse to acknowledge that my ship is sinking, but I'm going to pass out more cocktails while we go deeper" type of blog post as his response to the negativity.

So it looks like I'm probably moving on to Guild Wars 2. I hope the game does better and ends up being everything everyone wants it to be. It sure has a lot of potential under the hood. Or so I think it does.

This game has been badly handled by Funcom.  They have an awesome premise with some really good ideas, but they released the game too early and didn't even bother marketing it properly so that it would have a good launch. I have no interest in GW2 because I just can't get into fantasy, but from what I've seen ANET did a really good job selling the game to their target audience and their reps seem to be much friendlier. 

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz La Puente, CAPosts: 865Member

For me one big plus of the game is, there aren't big !'s on the mini map telling you where every quest is. I like that you if you pay attention you can simply discover a quest.

However that is just me.

It is becoming apparent that this game is not for everyone. That is neither good nor bad. There are good points, being a game that is hugely poular. There are good points to a game that doesn't connect with everyone but the people who play it really enjoy it.

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing NuneatonPosts: 104Member
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

For me one big plus of the game is, there aren't big !'s on the mini map telling you where every quest is. I like that you if you pay attention you can simply discover a quest.

However that is just me.

It is becoming apparent that this game is not for everyone. That is neither good nor bad. There are good points, being a game that is hugely poular. There are good points to a game that doesn't connect with everyone but the people who play it really enjoy it.

The scattering of quests around the open world to be stumbled upon and simply discovered was already being done in games like Rift and LOTRO, so nothing new there. TSW has quest hubs the same as every other themepark mmo and once you pick up quests the mini-map lights up with where to go. In fact in a lot of cases there is even more information than in many mmos.

I don't mind genuine enthusiasm for any truly new and innovative things that TSW has done but it seems there are a lot of claims on here about what this game does and doesn't do in comparison to other games that simply aren't true or are partial and i'm finding a lot of people seem to have selective memories about the content of other games they've played in comparison to TSW.

• DrolkinDrolkin Palio, NBPosts: 242Member
    So you never made it to Transylvania?  Cool, bye now.
  • GR3NDELGR3NDEL Tulsa, OKPosts: 108Member Uncommon

Well, I'm sorry that TSW didn't fulfill your expectations.  Hopefully you'll find some good gaming in the next game you travel to. 

It's possible that, in a few months and with some improvements under its' belt, TSW might appeal to you more - hopefully you'll consider giving it another try.