Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The economy / crafting

mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450

I'm enjoying the game and hoped to get a lot out of crafting. The problem is, it's all very linear, no matter what they say about the 'excitement' of Discovery and finding new items to craft - its not really a discovery as such, if you've crafted more than once, you know exactly what you're getting as the same items make the gear.

That's not the main issue though. Because its still linear, with everyone crafting the same stuff, hardly anyone wants it as there is so much about. You can craft a nice rifle, put it in the Trading Post and there's at least 10 of them the same, all selling for 1 copper above the vendor trash price. Makes it pointless crafting other than for the sake of crafting, or making the odd item that you can use for an hour or do until you get an upgrade from loot etc.

Maybe it's people all trying to be the lowest price to get a sale - I was 1 copper above the lowest and had to remove about 30 items from the TP as no one was buying. I recycled them in the end.

I may be missing a trick, but crafting isn't particularly useful from what I can see.

Comments

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    OP - your observation is correct. There is a very healthy drop rate for loot in GW2 and it surely deflates the value of any weapons or armor you craft. That said, I can't stop playing this game!!!!!
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by jpnole
    OP - your observation is correct. There is a very healthy drop rate for loot in GW2 and it surely deflates the value of any weapons or armor you craft. That said, I can't stop playing this game!!!!!

I can't stop playing the game either and it's hard to be critical - but I would like them to put some thought into somehow making the whole crafting element of the game as a way to make money and thus make it worth the time sink etc.

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397
    My only gripe about this game is the economy. its very dull at the moment and needs some thought put into it.

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by mark2123

I can't stop playing the game either and it's hard to be critical - but I would like them to put some thought into somehow making the whole crafting element of the game as a way to make money and thus make it worth the time sink etc.

Not only do crafters have to contend with each other, and also with the drop rates in the game, but also because of the game's mechanics, the need for a better piece of gear is also diminished. My blue quility rifle does just fine for leveling. Why do i want to upgrade it to a green quality. In the end, It really doesn't halp me kill that much faster. This also drives the demand for better quality crafted gear down.

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Not only do crafters have to contend with each other, and also with the drop rates in the game, but also because of the game's mechanics, the need for a better piece of gear is also diminished. My blue quility rifle does just fine for leveling. Why do i want to upgrade it to a green quality. In the end, It really doesn't halp me kill that much faster. This also drives the demand for better quality crafted gear down.

i will also add, that  things do not deteriorate. so people keep their stuff forever at level 80. making their buying from the trade post minimal

• PapamacPapamac Member UncommonPosts: 162

Can I ask you what level you are?  My ranger has only just hit level 20 (casual player who explores) and I really haven't looked too deeply into crafting.  The market seems to be a little odd though.  I tried selling some low-level boe stuff, but there were hundreds for sale and the lowest price was a pittance.

If the drop rates (at my level) are high, then nobody has any need to buy weapons and armor from the market; that makes earning gold less important.  So far I've only been able to accumulate about 50s, and I haven't felt like I was broke.  Maybe this changes at higher levels.

Originally posted by Papamac

Can I ask you what level you are?  My ranger has only just hit level 20 (casual player who explores) and I really haven't looked too deeply into crafting.  The market seems to be a little odd though.  I tried selling some low-level boe stuff, but there were hundreds for sale and the lowest price was a pittance.

If the drop rates (at my level) are high, then nobody has any need to buy weapons and armor from the market; that makes earning gold less important.  So far I've only been able to accumulate about 50s, and I haven't felt like I was broke.  Maybe this changes at higher levels.

Let's put it this way. Right before I bought the game, I received a $50 gift card that I added to my account the day I logged into GW2, Unfortunately, before I realized it the BLTC was offline, but It stll showed I had my 4k gems. So, I figured I'd be patient. My plan was to unlock character slots. Unlock Bank tabs and use the rest to craft.

I still have 4K gems unspent. I'm not feeling the pull to level an alt, I have plenty of inventory by using my exisint alts bag spaces and the In-Game economy is kinda Borked IMO, There is nothing for sale in the Cash Shop I even remotely desire. I am by no means wealthy, but I really have little need for more gold than I already have, so the 4K gems sit in my account until such a time as I have a real need to spend them. And TBH, at this point, if nothing changes with regard to what's in the Cash Shop, the economy and the the overall game's lack of a need for crafters, I really don't see myself spending those gems until the next purchased content release.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118

I don't know much about crafting, as I didn't tried it yet at is it should, but that statement is wrong! At level 60, I upgraded my weapon and some armors which were blue and green with yellow ones! In terms of damage, I did around 50% more dmg in comparation with my old items.

So yes, it does actually helps you kill faster if you upgarde your items.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

Originally posted by IceAge

I don't know much about crafting, as I didn't tried it yet at is it should, but that statement is wrong! At level 60, I upgraded my weapon and some armors which were blue and green with yellow ones! In terms of damage, I did around 50% more dmg in comparation with my old items.

So yes, it does actually helps you kill faster if you upgarde your items.

Maybe there is a good chance I am not yet at 60, and just maybe at lower levels, the difference between the gear is not so profound. 

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    You can't expect a strong economy without equipment decay and when the sources for equipment besides crafting are so abundant (especially from loot and quest rewards).
  • SylviodroodSylviodrood Member Posts: 7

you people really havent grasped the idea of crafting in this game yet. it isnt to make money. what money is there to be had in a system where everyone can do everything all it takes is time(and little at that). in addition to readily switching to another trade skill at will with no fear of losing your progress.  The only reasons to craft (aside from cooking of course)....the only reasons as of right now is to help a person level, as well as create the max weapons or armor.It is important to note that these pieces are only PLACEHOLDER for the unique and exotic skins that are out there int he world that are obtained various ways (if you dont like the orachalcum or mithril skinns or the latter.. no one SHould-- be caring that one can make the most powerful. if it looks like shit.. 

getting those unique skins is where the money is at. just like in GW

go look at that trading post and look to see how much the Dusk of rage is at. ...yea

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

I'm enjoying the game and hoped to get a lot out of crafting. The problem is, it's all very linear, no matter what they say about the 'excitement' of Discovery and finding new items to craft - its not really a discovery as such, if you've crafted more than once, you know exactly what you're getting as the same items make the gear.

That's not the main issue though. Because its still linear, with everyone crafting the same stuff, hardly anyone wants it as there is so much about. You can craft a nice rifle, put it in the Trading Post and there's at least 10 of them the same, all selling for 1 copper above the vendor trash price. Makes it pointless crafting other than for the sake of crafting, or making the odd item that you can use for an hour or do until you get an upgrade from loot etc.

Maybe it's people all trying to be the lowest price to get a sale - I was 1 copper above the lowest and had to remove about 30 items from the TP as no one was buying. I recycled them in the end.

I may be missing a trick, but crafting isn't particularly useful from what I can see.

you are mostly right, except that not everyone makes the same things leveling up.  Youll typically only discover 1/3rd of the available stuff, especially greens and yellows.  but with 2 million plus people using the same AH, its overstaration to the extreme.

The number one issue is the extreme rate of dropped gear.  A much better system is that blue gear drops plenty, green on occasion and the yellow drops are limited to sigils/runes, or rare crafting mats that you would take to a crafter to make something.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I'd say it's a win with everyone getting to craft!

Perhaps you meant something else?  Do you really want a system where YOU are the one everyone on the server has to come to you and purchase? 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• tabindextabindex Member UncommonPosts: 70

It's the basic design principle of the game - everyone is a winner.  That applies to crafting and to the economy too.  The design is for everyone to have the best gear and for everyone to be rich.  This isn't the type of game where one can become a renowned crafter that other players seek out.  Nor is it the type of game where one can play the auction house (buy low and sell high).

While the game's target audience sees this as a good thing, it's not.

:(

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by tabindex

It's the basic design principle of the game - everyone is a winner.  That applies to crafting and to the economy too.  The design is for everyone to have the best gear and for everyone to be rich.  This isn't the type of game where one can become a renowned crafter that other players seek out.  Nor is it the type of game where one can play the auction house (buy low and sell high).

While the game's target audience sees this as a good thing, it's not.

:(

You can for a short window. That time is now and will probably end within a month or two. People who make legendary weapons or their precursors will make a ton of money.

Everyone else will be left out.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525

Good luck getting epic gear later on in the game for less than it would cost you to go find the mats. Spent my 3.50 gold leveling up to finish off crafting and make myself epics. Epics I might add that would of cost me 3-4 gold each at least.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by eggy08

Good luck getting epic gear later on in the game for less than it would cost you to go find the mats. Spent my 3.50 gold leveling up to finish off crafting and make myself epics. Epics I might add that would of cost me 3-4 gold each at least.

So . .  does this mean that GW2's crafting is pointless until endgame, just like every other damn themepark out there?
     Because if so then I guess the old adage applies "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

Originally posted by Tardcore

So . .  does this mean that GW2's crafting is pointless until endgame, just like every other damn themepark out there?
     Because if so then I guess the old adage applies "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Pretty much. It requires too many mats to really do anything while leveling. It might be possible to gear an alt while you leveling but at the speed of leveling you would really have to question if it was worth it..

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

agree 100% with OP. the worst economy ever in mmo games.

Not really. I made gear for every 5 levels that was way better than what I had. Its just that end game is where prices peak because there is little out there. You can make yellow pieces for lvl 20.40.60 and 80 that would blow the gear you have out of the water, but it is expensive to make and people tend to level up fast so they don't want to adventure into it.

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450

Not really. I made gear for every 5 levels that was way better than what I had. Its just that end game is where prices peak because there is little out there. You can make yellow pieces for lvl 20.40.60 and 80 that would blow the gear you have out of the water, but it is expensive to make and people tend to level up fast so they don't want to adventure into it.

Seems that many people agree with my sentiments that there is nothing really exciting about being able to craft the things everyone else crafts (no feeling of achievement or uniqueness), or that it isn't really adding much to your character to level crafting (other than for it's own sake) and that the Trading Posts are full of unwanted crafted goods.

Now, if instead of there being so many loot drops that meet your gear needs, they reduced those and added in a few random recipe drops, for crafting items that are not in your crafting tree, i.e. you have to get the drop or work on something else to buy the recipe (thinking out loud here, but bear with me), then yes, it would mean that some people could make gear that others couldn't and it would drive the economy a bit at least i.e. the demand and supply.  At present, there is lots of supply, little demand and rock bottom prices.  This, I'm afraid, has made what I was hoping to be an exciting aspect of the game to be very dull and not worth the considerable effort (of playing around with bank and bag slots to move your mats into place to craft the stuff no-one needs).

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Even if I wanted, I hardly HAVE any money to buy stuff from the crafters. I got 1g50s with level 34, and with 40 the 1g will be goners for a book. That plus expensive repairs and maybe the level 35 cultural armor consumes it ENTIRELY. I have nothing left to buy crafted stuff from!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Seems that many people agree with my sentiments that there is nothing really exciting about being able to craft the things everyone else crafts (no feeling of achievement or uniqueness), or that it isn't really adding much to your character to level crafting (other than for it's own sake) and that the Trading Posts are full of unwanted crafted goods.

Now, if instead of there being so many loot drops that meet your gear needs, they reduced those and added in a few random recipe drops, for crafting items that are not in your crafting tree, i.e. you have to get the drop or work on something else to buy the recipe (thinking out loud here, but bear with me), then yes, it would mean that some people could make gear that others couldn't and it would drive the economy a bit at least i.e. the demand and supply.  At present, there is lots of supply, little demand and rock bottom prices.  This, I'm afraid, has made what I was hoping to be an exciting aspect of the game to be very dull and not worth the considerable effort (of playing around with bank and bag slots to move your mats into place to craft the stuff no-one needs).

Obviously you are either not level 80 or missed the whole, level 80 epics are expensive as shit. To craft these you need a lot of supplies that are not cheap on the AH. And these items aren't that easy to find as there are limited of them in the world atm. So honestly, saying that crafting is useless because of the TM is pointless. Its easy levels, its nice since you go around and gather the mats to make the gear that YOU want to make with the stats on it that YOU want. So it might seem pointless to you, but I have progressed my char from it, something I couldn't do with the TM.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

I think what your all missing is that crafted gear has stats equivilent to a piece of gear 10 levels above it that was dropped. Anything found in the world off of mobs or in chests is inferior to crafted gear of the same level in a large way, the only gear that is equivilent to crafted gear is that recieved from Dungeons or the gear aquired through PvP.

The crafting is set up so that if your willing to put in the effort, you can fully gear/level your character through crafting and still be competative in every way. GW2 is about balanced gameplay regardless of how you play or level.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

Originally posted by Dalgor

I think what your all missing is that crafted gear has stats equivilent to a piece of gear 10 levels above it that was dropped. Anything found in the world off of mobs or in chests is inferior to crafted gear of the same level in a large way, the only gear that is equivilent to crafted gear is that recieved from Dungeons or the gear aquired through PvP.

The crafting is set up so that if your willing to put in the effort, you can fully gear/level your character through crafting and still be competative in every way. GW2 is about balanced gameplay regardless of how you play or level.

The only problem is you have to either A) Buy gems to trade into gold so you can afford to buy rare mats. Or B)Relentlessy farm mobs that drop the rare mats you need. Which is why most players I know fall into category C) Wait till level 80 to finish getting their crafting skills to 400.

The exception to this was cooking which Arenanet has apparently nerfed.