Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what happened to having fun?

MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
So what happened to play for fun? 

I'm 26 years old. I grew up with the gaming which seriously started with commodore 64. I played numerous games, both sp and mp. The old syndicate, alone in the dark, doom, dungeon keeper, quake, unreal + ut and so on. 

Notice what all these games share?

-that the only carrot is "having fun". 

I played DAoC, EVE, SWToR, WoW, Aion, AoC and so on, you get the picture. 

Gw2 is traditional in some ways. You pick a race, a profession (class), crafting profession and then you're set for you xp journey. 

In WoW, if you've played for years and you had a friend you invited and got all excited - the only way to play with him was alting. 

In gw2 you can jump to his location where you get slightly nerfed, and both of you get rewarded with xp and still gear for your very own level. 

He can join you in WvW, where he's still able to be anything but worthless. Neither of you have to get 80 to play sPvP together. Jump right in with balanced boosted 80 chars. 

You can play PvP and PvE together no matter the level difference. 

You can level anywhere with everything you want. Farming nodes, dynamic events, WvW, exploration. 

-so what am I looking forward to when I'm 80?

-WvW and Dynamic Events will be where I'm mostly at. And heavy altaholic. I'm in love with the "skills not gear" what guild wars 2 does. And in the end it's a fake feeling getting stronger gear. 

*ding 80, get [Wooden Sword of Nublet] with 38999 str, go to next dungeon getting [Legendary Poking Stick of Thousand Trolls] after run number 9000, just to deal the same damage in percent to the next boss*

The only reason bosses gets harder in traditional mmo's are gear level. Once out leveled you win with gear and not skills. 

In gw2 the content will have the same difficult no matter if you have legendary boomstick of puking monkey or drowning whale. 

It's the mmo answer to ut or similar where the main key is having fun. 

[mod edit]

Comments

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Fun has been replaced.  Fun is no longer playing a game and enjoying it for some people.  Instead for them fun is playing a game for a few hours and coming onto forums and complaining how bad the game is,  Its about proving one's opinion is so great and correct, it should be immortalized with the Gods of yesteryear.  
  • MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Simple -- people were habituated (addicted) to 'variable reward' gaming by WoW and WoW clones who exploit a common psychological vulnerability in the human-psyche -- variable reward conditioning.  It's also the most effective way to train dogs and other mammals. 

And it's not like this game doesn't have it...   It does.   It's just not so blatant or all-encompassing as the end-game-raid variable reward schedule games like WoW and the WoW clones.

• LorkiiLorkii Member Posts: 88

Simple, most people want to advance their characters, not have most of their skills in a level or 2. I love playing games for fun, i ll look at PS2 as an example. I ve literally gotten everything you can in the beta for it, to add to my characters progression, I m still playing it, even though I can t advance him more. Why because it s a fun game. That said, I m looking forward to release, because I absolutely love the game, but look forward to progressing my char more.

I look at GW2, and don t hate me, it s an opinion. I find it becoming extremely boring, because I wasn t improving my char, anymore. Im not a raider, Im not a loot whore. I just like to see my char advance somehow. I like to do a dungeon here and there, not sit in a city, hit a button and wait. So i ll do a dungeon here and there, and enjoy the rest of what the game has to offer. Once the fun isn t there I ll move on. There was alot of things GW2 did well, but I can honestly say it was uninstalled off my HD faster then any MMO at release. If you ask me why it s free, you cna try it later. I really have enough to play, and don t see my self ever caring for it, unless they make some large fundamental changes.

Morale of the story, while I was playing PS2 I realized I want to advance my char more through progression, but still have alot of fun without it. GW2 I simply didn t have fun, progression or not. What does that mean, not everyone likes GW2 as the OP seems to, but that doesn t make them wrong for liking progression, or as alot say grind. I ll take my so called grind anyday.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Fun was dead until GW2 came along now we can finally play a game for fun. It's just sad that it took the industry so many years to reach this point

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

Originally posted by seridan
    Fun was dead until GW2 came along now we can finally play a game for fun. It's just sad that it took the industry so many years to reach this point

See this is the shit, that so called haters respond to and get jumped on. To me GW2 is easily one of the least fun games created. Am I right not for everyone, but to me it plain sucks.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Know what else those old games have in common? They weren't MMORPGs.   MMORPGs have always been about character progression, starting as a lowly adventurer and working your way up. They even used to be about *gasp* playing with others!

All of the Single Player gamers that have invaded the genre have turned it into a shell of what it once was, so congratulations on that!

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    I would agree that fun is reward enough from the game, not sure if I misread something but ya.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Lorkii

Simple, most people want to advance their characters, not have most of their skills in a level or 2. I love playing games for fun, i ll look at PS2 as an example. I ve literally gotten everything you can in the beta for it, to add to my characters progression, I m still playing it, even though I can t advance him more. Why because it s a fun game. That said, I m looking forward to release, because I absolutely love the game, but look forward to progressing my char more.

I look at GW2, and don t hate me, it s an opinion. I find it becoming extremely boring, because I wasn t improving my char, anymore. Im not a raider, Im not a loot whore. I just like to see my char advance somehow. I like to do a dungeon here and there, not sit in a city, hit a button and wait. So i ll do a dungeon here and there, and enjoy the rest of what the game has to offer. Once the fun isn t there I ll move on. There was alot of things GW2 did well, but I can honestly say it was uninstalled off my HD faster then any MMO at release. If you ask me why it s free, you cna try it later. I really have enough to play, and don t see my self ever caring for it, unless they make some large fundamental changes.

Morale of the story, while I was playing PS2 I realized I want to advance my char more through progression, but still have alot of fun without it. GW2 I simply didn t have fun, progression or not. What does that mean, not everyone likes GW2 as the OP seems to, but that doesn t make them wrong for liking progression, or as alot say grind. I ll take my so called grind anyday.

how so? you are constantly improving you character in this game through new gear, new skills, traits, equipment modifications.. it has all the progression any other MMO has , not all in the exact same fashion IE tiered gear sets but the progression is there and your character does get stronger and you are givin a lot more options with skills/traits as well. Yes there is scaling but right now say you are level 40 and go back to a level 10 area you scale down in hp and stats so you don't 1 shot everything but you definitely are a good deal stronger than you were at level 10 fighting those same creatures.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Jimmydean

Know what else those old games have in common? They weren't MMORPGs.   MMORPGs have always been about character progression, starting as a lowly adventurer and working your way up. They even used to be about *gasp* playing with others!

All of the Single Player gamers that have invaded the genre have turned it into a shell of what it once was, so congratulations on that!

QFT!!

Originally posted by Jimmydean

Oh how true.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Problem is RPGS are about that carrot. Fun isn't much of a carrot when it involves repetition. What kept things fun was the challenge. Even with challenge considered, it wasn't like you play games non stop over and over after you beat it, you would revisit it but not constantly play. An RPG provides a carrot of getting stronger with work, something that keeps you focused on a game longer. 

You don't NEED to have the RPG elements, but you want something out of it. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

for me, GW2 is the most fun mmo since Everquest

but thats only my opinion and nothing wrong with others disliking the game or finding it boring

im glad ive got a fun mmo I can stick with for now and the future

Originally posted by Aerowyn

how so? you are constantly improving you character in this game through new gear, new skills, traits, equipment modifications.. it has all the progression any other MMO has , not all in the exact same fashion IE tiered gear sets but the progression is there and your character does get stronger and you are givin a lot more options with skills/traits as well. Yes there is scaling but right now say you are level 40 and go back to a level 10 area you scale down in hp and stats so you don't 1 shot everything but you definitely are a good deal stronger than you were at level 10 fighting those same creatures.

See this is the mentality I m talking about. I like the so called "tired gear sets" I like a real defining role in my classes, not what a weapon changes, I like going out and doing some quests on my own, not that people are interferring with me, I just want to go off and do something without other people once in awhile, I know you effectively can do this in GW2 but it s not the same. I  honestly can say , that I was excited for GW2 because of the DEs, but it is easily IMO, the worst design for an MMO, to base most of your game off this. I was getting extremely annoyed by stupid orange circles all the time. As I said though GW2 is so far from the typical MMO, it makes me dislike it more then any MMO I ve tried. Alot will like it, but alot won t , people need to accept that. I know my guild whioe I was playing it sure showed that. Active player base dropped from 100+ to about 5+, and most agreed they didn t like it.

See this is the mentality I m talking about. I like the so called "tired gear sets" I like a real defining role in my classes, not what a weapon changes, I like going out and doing some quests on my own, not that people are interferring with me, I just want to go off and do something without other people once in awhile, I know you effectively can do this in GW2 but it s not the same. I  honestly can say , that I was excited for GW2 because of the DEs, but it is easily IMO, the worst design for an MMO, to base most of your game off this. I was getting extremely annoyed by stupid orange circles all the time. As I said though GW2 is so far from the typical MMO, it makes me dislike it more then any MMO I ve tried. Alot will like it, but alot won t , people need to accept that. I know my guild whioe I was playing it sure showed that. Active player base dropped from 100+ to about 5+, and most agreed they didn t like it.

fine you don't like the game or how its setup but to compare its progression to PS2 which isn't even a MMORPG doesn't really make much sense and has much less character progression than GW2 to boot..   and my guild grows everyday with others in the thousands and growing... what's your point on that? Also what i put in red so many have been asking for this since wow was released and we saw clone after clone emerge and fall.. so that in my book is hardly a negative. IMHO static quest hubs are the worst thing you could do for a MMO in terms of questing especially for longevity and wanting to play through multiple times.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by seridan

See this is the shit, that so called haters respond to and get jumped on. To me GW2 is easily one of the least fun games created. Am I right not for everyone, but to me it plain sucks.

You may need to come to my server (which is mid-level population) and tell the thousands there your little story. I'm thinking they might not agree with you. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• slingblade25slingblade25 Member Posts: 33

i just dont get why anyone that doesnt like a game would hang around its forums. Now if you played the game and doing a review of how bad it sucks I get it.

Im having fun in GW2 and that why I frequent these boards. I dont go to other forums from games I think that suck. I could care less whats going on on the (insert sucky game here) boards.

I do find it interesting why this happens. I like to look at the post history of those that bash this game. Semms they have more fyn bashing GW2 that they do playing the awesome MMO they say is better.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

Progressing my character is important to me.

I have unlocked all my weapon skills by level 5. I presume these will be the same skills I am using at level 80. 

I would prefer that they progressed in some way.

Originally posted by slingblade25

i just dont get why anyone that doesnt like a game would hang around its forums. Now if you played the game and doing a review of how bad it sucks I get it.

Im having fun in GW2 and that why I frequent these boards. I dont go to other forums from games I think that suck. I could care less whats going on on the (insert sucky game here) boards.

I do find it interesting why this happens. I like to look at the post history of those that bash this game. Semms they have more fyn bashing GW2 that they do playing the awesome MMO they say is better.

seems much of it is retaliation.. many are mad because others talked about and bashed games they enjoy now and pre-release for GW2 and now feel they need to do the same.. others it seems because they feel people hyped the game up to much and are now let down.. either way i don't see how two wrongs make a right but either way nothing will stop it:P

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119
    I take issue with people who try to play this like wow. They skip 70% of the content so they can rush to 80 and start the end game. Then they bitch and moan about "what now" on the forums. To hell with them.

I've been playing since early start and my main is only 29. I don't know what to do first ... there is too much content for me. I think I have about 60-80 hours logged but I'm rank 11 in spvp as well. Loving the variety
  • GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Can someone PLEASE explain to me how there is no progression.
  • sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119
    Anyway, what happened to having fun? Well, a decade of grinding eq/wow mentality happened. But gw2 is changing all that. Notice how raiding and grindy Korean MMOs are the antithesis of having fun.
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch

still trying to figure that out myself.. seems some people feel tiered gear sets is the only form of progression for whatever reason... once you hit 30 and open up elites and start playing with traits builds/skill choices more things really open up for me at least

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

still trying to figure that out myself.. seems some people feel tiered gear sets is the only form of progression for whatever reason... once you hit 30 and open up elites and start playing with traits builds/skill choices more things really open up for me at least

Progression is through content, not numbers.

Progression is through content, not numbers.

gw2 offers both though like most MMOs just not in the exact same fashion